HK Wingwing set up and other suggestions - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Delta & Flying Wings Discuss electric powered delta (flying wing) style aircraft here.

HK Wingwing set up and other suggestions

Old 12-27-2014, 08:25 PM
Davethebluessinger
Child of the 60s

Default HK Wingwing set up and other suggestions

Hi Guys and a Merry Christmas!
OK so the kids bought me a HK Wingwing (kit) as a christmas gift.
I already had a generic 2600KV motor, several 3S 1300mAh a couple of 11g servos and a Turnigy 30A ESC.

I've assembled the wing, beefed it up wuth some tape and installed everything.
Some questions:

Prop size? I have some HK APC style 5x5, 5x4, could I run a 6x4?

CG? the plane balances pretty well at the suggested points on the wing bottom. Should I err on the side of nose heavy?

Reflex on the elevons?

Throws and rates?

Downthrust angle of the motor (preset by the motor mount)- seems a little steep?

anyone care to let me have the benefit of their experience?

Many thanks!
Old 12-28-2014, 11:51 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Davethebluessinger View Post
Hi Guys and a Merry Christmas!
OK so the kids bought me a HK Wingwing (kit) as a christmas gift.
I already had a generic 2600KV motor, several 3S 1300mAh a couple of 11g servos and a Turnigy 30A ESC.

I've assembled the wing, beefed it up wuth some tape and installed everything.
Some questions:

Prop size? I have some HK APC style 5x5, 5x4, could I run a 6x4?

CG? the plane balances pretty well at the suggested points on the wing bottom. Should I err on the side of nose heavy?

Reflex on the elevons?

Throws and rates?

Downthrust angle of the motor (preset by the motor mount)- seems a little steep?

anyone care to let me have the benefit of their experience?

Many thanks!
1. use the 5x5 prop and check your amp draw. the 6x4 prop might give you torque roll issues starting off.

2. give the elevons no more than 3/8" up and 3/8" down from neutral.

3. give the motor about 2 degrees of down thrust.

4. balance just a tad on the nose heavy side.

This is just a average wing set up info that I have used,and it seems to work well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_DW6RksbDg

Last edited by CHELLIE; 12-29-2014 at 12:46 AM.
Old 12-28-2014, 04:43 PM
Davethebluessinger
Child of the 60s

Hi Chellie and thanks for the advice.
The downthrust is built in to the motor mount, what's concerning me is that the tip of the motor shaft points DOWN at the ground thus pushing the tail up. I've checked and it's definitely fitted correctly according to the plans. On my Versa wing (flite test plan) the motor thrust line is opposite and pushes the tail down!

Dave
Old 12-28-2014, 05:11 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

One of the biggest factors in wings motor thrust line - is the line drawn through shaft ... does it sit through the wing chord ... above or below.

If the shaft line is above - if motor is level - it will tend to push nose DOWN... so motor is tilted a touch to compensate. If shaft line is through wing - then wing will want to rise at front anf flip over in effect ... so motor is tilted down to force nose down.

Its the line of force acting on the wing and the wings natural wish to rise at the nose that decides the thrust angle.

The time it starts to get weird is like my high power PKJ's .. where the motor is above wing chord and I have motor tilted at rear down ... reason being at over 200kph - that wing wants to flip that nose up and over ...

Nigel
Old 12-29-2014, 12:45 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Davethebluessinger View Post
Hi Chellie and thanks for the advice.
The downthrust is built in to the motor mount, what's concerning me is that the tip of the motor shaft points DOWN at the ground thus pushing the tail up. I've checked and it's definitely fitted correctly according to the plans. On my Versa wing (flite test plan) the motor thrust line is opposite and pushes the tail down!

Dave
Hi Dave the motor tip pointing down is correct for a pusher, it caused the front of the wing to go down for down thrust, its just opposite of what you might think for a tractor mounted motor, good luck to you on your Maiden flight, and keep it under 100 MPH or we will have to enter you in the 100 MPH Club LOL

On your Versa Wing, you might try to give it down thrust, you might find that it will fly better and be more stable.
Old 12-30-2014, 07:20 PM
Davethebluessinger
Child of the 60s

OK so the maiden on the Wing Wing wasn't perfect, following advice from others I chucked it without power to see how ell it would glide - it fell nose first like a brick. I moved the battery back an inch and the glide was better. I launched it with power and it was obviously tail happy. So I put the battery back in the nose and it flew OK. have to say though I was expecting more thrust from a 2600KV motor with a 6x4 prop! very tame. Chellie, With regard to the Versa, the motor is mounted on an angle bracket above the wing (gonna make a bracket that puts the motor lower down in the thrust line like those on the MS composite swifts) presently the prop points about 5 - degrees upwards so it's pushing the rear of the wing down , I had another Versa which crashed due to servo failure and this is the exact same hardware recycled. When I make the new bracket I'm going to cut the recess in the wing further towards the front by an inch or so because I have to use a MASSIVE amount of lead on the nose to balance it out with the motor in its present position (1400KV 28mm outrunner). Thanks a lot to all who responded.