Go Back  WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > 3D Flying
Reload this Page >

My favorite 3D foam plane is the Multiplex AcroMaster!!!

3D Flying Discuss everything related to "3D" flying including construction, power setups and flying techniques

My favorite 3D foam plane is the Multiplex AcroMaster!!!

Old 06-13-2008, 08:11 PM
Eganwp

Default My favorite 3D foam plane is the Multiplex AcroMaster!!!

If anyone's considering a 3D foamie look no further than the Multiplex AcroMaster. Here's my take on this plane:

I've been flying the AcroMaster for about 4 months now, and absolutely LOVE this plane. I'm definately ready for something a bit more extreme (might try out 4s on it this weekend) but am planning to order the 3DHS Extra SR 4s. The AcroMaster was my 2nd plane, not to mention 3D, (started with a SkyFly trainer) and immediately went balls to the wall 3D with this thing. Not sure if I pick up the flying "skills" faster than some, but for me this is a great 2nd plane, I never get bored w/ it. I have about 60 flights on it now. It 3D's extremely well, and is very stable. The lighter the setup the better. Before I bought it I tried out a Typhoon 2 and absolutely HATED it. Complete junk compared to the Acromaster in pretty well all aspects and build quality. I had the RTF Typhoon 2 and the radio would glitch like mad. The plane would roll and go nuts if flown further than 50 feet away. Interference wasnt the issue. I tried replace ALL the electronics in it, and spent a month troubleshooting the stupid thing. In the end all the electronics being replace didn't help as it turned out to be the TX. I returned the whole thing to the LHS. Even when it did work near me, the plane was pretty lame compared to the AM. The AcroMaster is quoted by many, including myself, as being the best (larger) 3D foam plane on the market that behaves like a large scale balsa 3D plane.

Here's my cheap hobbycity, yet very good performing setup:
Motor: Turnigy 35-42D 1000kv 3s setup w/ a 12x6 & 13x6.5 APC-E depending on what I'm feeling like.
ESC: HXT 36A w/ BEC
Lipos: I ususally run HXT G2 2200 3s 20C's as they outperform my TP 2100 3s packs. Will try some Zippy-H (Loong-Max) packs next weekend when they arrive.
Servos: HXT 9g servos for ailerons & 9320MG's in the rear.
Radio : DX6i w/ AR6200 RX

According to my Watts-up meter, 380W (37.0A) bursts, 350W (33.2A) sustained,

I get 7 to 8 mins of extremely hard 3D on average w/ a 12x6. Usually 7 mins on 13x6.5, but it does lug down the motor/battery a lot more which is why I usually fly 12x6. I have unlimited vertical w/ this setup, and often take off holding the plane vertically in my hand as a crowd pleaser. I cannot say enough good things about this plane. I can't comment on the weak nose area, as I fiberglassed the inside of mine & CA'd it up before I glued the halves together, so it's completely stiff. Other than that I've sheered 2 of the motor mount bolts off from the motor torque and over-tightening. Make sure you don't overtighten these! The LG is also a little flexable on hard landings but I don't care about it as much as I used to. You can look into doing the magister mod to the LG to add some strength. Also, dont user more than a 13" prop on this plane as you'll get prop stikes on even fairly gentle landings.

This plane really excells at blenders and waterfalls. My blenders always make the people standing near me say "Wow thats awesome!". There's nothing like climbing vertically over 500 feet in a matter of seconds, rolling it over, spinning at extreme speeds and then whiping the back into an inverted flat spin. Knife edge is descent, though it requires just a slight amount of coupling I've found. Hovers are descent, but that's probably my weakest 3D skill. Rolling harriers and inverted flight are quite predictable, and act like your flying a much bigger plane. Inverted flight is just cake. I fly on high rates all the time, and my plane will do ~3 full rolls a second at full throttle which is just awesome.

I think I've learned very fast considering this was my 2nd plane and I can do all 3D moves pretty well now; hovering being my weakest. On those 60 flights I've never crashed either, which is a bonus! I landed upside-down twice when i stalled inverted, but no damage done. EPP is just awesome, especially for learning.

One last thing I've shown a few people I fly with on their 3D planes is to add some flaps for easier landings. Increasing the airfoil really helps for slow speed landing. I can nearly land the plane at a stand-still now, lol. I just program in 20^ or so of flaps onto the ailerons for landings, and it works like a charm!

Good luck, and I'd HIGHLY recommend this plane over the other foamies out there, unless you wanna fly some little profiles for awhile to learn on. This plane will give you more than you can handle for a long while though!

I just uploaded my first vid with my wife taping me while doing some casual sunday 3d cruising with her. I'll try to put up another more extreme 3D vid soon to show more of what this plane is truely capable of.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnFJCcUANY4</EMBED></EMBED>

Eganwp
<!-- / message --><!-- edit note -->

Last edited by Eganwp; 07-02-2008 at 04:08 AM. Reason: Updated with new info & new my video.
Old 06-18-2008, 06:20 PM
toons
Who, Me, Fly?

Impressive plane... like it alot! Any updates?
Old 06-20-2008, 08:55 PM
mattk0

Got any links? Sure looks like some great flying from Ian.
Old 06-23-2008, 06:54 AM
toons
Who, Me, Fly?

Acromaster vs Extra 330L? Which is the best bet?
Old 07-02-2008, 02:51 AM
Eganwp

Updated main post details and added a quick casual 3D vid from Sunday. Enjoy!
Old 02-02-2009, 12:05 AM
Ron S

Do you want a "scale" plane,or pure 3-D performance? How much money are you ready to invest? The AM is a good plane,but for a pure 3-D junkie rush, the Park Master is the "King of the Hill" bar none! Heavy planes 3-D,but don't 3-D as well as "light" planes. The other option is mega bucks for, motors/battries/esc's to get the power to make a heavy plane fly with "authority". Check out the video's below. Ron [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_nsxUBsuEU&http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yY0Qm...next=1&index=4[/media] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yY0Qm9-jXLQ Here's another good plane. The setup/motor/battries/esc/servo's,are expensive,but the performance is spectacular! http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=EFL4075
Old 02-07-2009, 08:45 PM
alchemique

Love my acromaster as well. Had 3 of them, have already sold 3rd, but I'm thinking about buying a new one It was by far the best plane I've ever flown. Just remember to build it light!

This young boy from the post above is a spectacular pilot!

My movie: [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3VejYPkzvo[/media], you can find more movies with acromaster in my profile.

Last edited by alchemique; 02-07-2009 at 09:10 PM.
Old 02-07-2009, 11:53 PM
benovisoff
aint crashin aint flyin

so, with weight and all, a 480 is too small and I wiill need like a 10? or knowing me a 32
Old 02-17-2009, 01:06 AM
Ron S

I fly mine with a Himax 2812-850 (150 watt motor). My plane weighs 18oz. RTF. Hovers at less than 1/2 throttle,plenty of power. My motor actually puts out 170watts, with a 10X7 SF ACP prop. Ron
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0168.jpg
Views:	526
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	94020  
Old 02-17-2009, 01:46 AM
benovisoff
aint crashin aint flyin

Originally Posted by Ron S View Post
I fly mine with a Himax 2812-850 (150 watt motor). My plane weighs 18oz. RTF. Hovers at less than 1/2 throttle,plenty of power. My motor actually puts out 170watts, with a 10X7 SF ACP prop. Ron
really? Doesn't it say its auw is about 35 oz.?
Old 04-22-2009, 01:42 AM
pablo27

I gave my Acromaster it second flight yesterday afternoon. I've beefed up the nose with ply and added carbon fibre L/G with big wheels to handle the long grass that I fly from.

I'm using a Turnigy 900kv 42-40 variant, with a 13x6.5 prop and 3S 2250 25C batteries. It felt pretty heavy in the sky, I think I may have over done the weight with the mods .Performance wasn't great either, I may need to run 4S to kick her into action. The AM did feel really solid when flying though. My 2 batteries lasted between 7-10 mins before they lost some power.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4847.jpg
Views:	1112
Size:	166.1 KB
ID:	99376   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4849.jpg
Views:	1267
Size:	164.9 KB
ID:	99377   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4850.jpg
Views:	969
Size:	162.4 KB
ID:	99378  
Old 06-07-2009, 11:37 PM
Adrian

got my 'Parkflyer' for xmas-top machine! I'm learning loads with mine, never needs more than half power for anything, wherever you put the stick it just gets on with it
A couple of guys I fly with have told me its the best 3D machine theyve ever flown, I've let a few of my buddies fly this machine & I never get it handed back to me until the batts flat-which has to be the best recommend for any plane.