Electric Ducted Fan Jets Discuss electric ducted fan jets here including setup tips, power systems, flying techniques, etc.

The Official DonsRC Wicked EDF Motor Discussion Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 11:23 PM
The Don
Balsa Butcher

Originally Posted by sheleymonster View Post
So what do you think? 8-10 mins. with throttle managment? YA YA I KNOW! My best friend always pokes fun at me for flying scale speeds. lol.
If you can resist not pushing that throttle stick forward I guess you could
Old 02-21-2008, 11:32 PM
The Don
Balsa Butcher

Originally Posted by TOMSAID View Post
What is the maximum wattage the wicked extreme can take, on new 4s set up with 60 amp esc and new loonmax 2200 25c 4s it jumped up at the start to over 46 watts at 16 volts reading over 700 watts on a xf fan. I know this is a burst reading and not the in flight figures. Also another question when fitting the fanblade the shaft moved back along with the barrel of the motor then returned to its normal position as if spring loaded. Is this normal I cant see a visiblegrub screw to stop this, is there a hidden one otherwise the motors working fine just have not been able fly yet due to weather.

Tom,

These new Long Max lipo sure do pump out he power. I have a 20C 4S2250 and I get about 600 watts on startup. Seems like the 25C ones pack even more punch! To be honest I have only run at 700 watts for about 30 seconds on a test. Once in the air the watts will drop off probably about 100 or so. When I first was testing these motor I thought a 4S2200 Thunder Power Extreme V2 would get me the mose power. What I have found is the TP give longer uniform output power. The Longmaxs give much more at the beginning, about the same in the middle, and drop off at the end. My extended motor test were done in the 500-600 watt range on 4S4500 and I measured steady state coil temperatures. I am not sure onthese new ones what temps will be at 700 watts. I think I need to get a few of these lipos and test. So for now Iw oudl suggest launchiung at partial throttle then spooling up once you are in the air.

As far as the "springy" feeling. That is the magnets you are feeling. I do not have a stop on the shaft as the force required to make the fan push back is fairly strong and even dead stick and windmilling in a glide the drag on the rotor is not strong enough to push it back against the magnets.

Don
Old 02-21-2008, 11:33 PM
The Don
Balsa Butcher

Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
Hey Don

Any idea when you'll be getting in some more Cool wind Wicked EDF 4000Kv motors? I think I'm ready to order two for my Twinstar II EDF!
Just to confirm: Will those motors be "plug and play" with eflite Super Airliner ducted fan units?
cheers
They will fit right into the Horizon EDF as they are the same as the SF fan. I am hoping to get them next week. My 4000 KV motors were suppose to ship before the Chinese holiday but they did not

Don
Old 02-21-2008, 11:42 PM
TOMSAID

Thanks I was really surprised at the massive difference 4s makes and am now really curious and a little apprehensive at how fast the f16 will be. I now have no doubts about launching as it seems to have a more than 1-1 thrust to weight ratio.
Old 02-22-2008, 12:06 AM
The Don
Balsa Butcher

Originally Posted by TOMSAID View Post
Thanks I was really surprised at the massive difference 4s makes and am now really curious and a little apprehensive at how fast the f16 will be. I now have no doubts about launching as it seems to have a more than 1-1 thrust to weight ratio.
Well those Long Max lipos really make an extra difference. On a TP pack the watts are about 550. How long did you run it at 700 watts?

Don
Old 02-22-2008, 12:18 AM
TOMSAID

Not long the noise indoors was deafening about 10 seconds, on 3s zippy 2200 it read 30.32 amps @326 watts, and on 4s loongmax it was 51.7 amps @771 watts these were max figures but did not drop off a lot
Old 02-22-2008, 12:49 AM
The Don
Balsa Butcher

Your 3S is spot on to what I have. 4S is a different story. I am not sure what to do about it. The total wattage is jumping 100-150 watts on the same setups compared to other 4S lipo brands.

Don
Old 02-22-2008, 01:45 AM
Lieutenant Loughead
UNCLUB OWNER

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
Your 3S is spot on to what I have. 4S is a different story. I am not sure what to do about it. The total wattage is jumping 100-150 watts on the same setups compared to other 4S lipo brands.

Don
Don -- the 3s numbers I gave you were with an "Xcalibur" 3s LiPo. The 4s numbers I gave you were with a "Loong Max" 4s 25C LiPo. That may explain why my 4s numbers were so much higher than you expected.
Old 02-22-2008, 01:47 AM
The Don
Balsa Butcher

Here is what I am talking about. I just did two tests on the Wicked EDF Extreme in a XF fan with a 4S TPExtreme and a 4S Loong Max.

See how the graphs differ. The Long Max starts at 750 watts but quickly drops to about 600 as a steady state. At the end of this run the internal coils temp was about 180F. I then ran the TP 4S Extreme V2 and you can see the watts start about 600 then drop to about 550. Temp was about 165F. So the long max puts out about 150 watts more on startup.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	LM4SXF.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	163.8 KB
ID:	56861   Click image for larger version

Name:	TP4SXF.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	156.7 KB
ID:	56862  
Old 02-22-2008, 11:40 AM
TOMSAID

That explains figures any idea what speed you would expect for hp f16 on my 4s set up. The loongmax are half the price of thunderpower here in the UK, it just remains to see how long they last
Old 02-22-2008, 03:15 PM
Lieutenant Loughead
UNCLUB OWNER

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
So the long max puts out about 150 watts more on startup.
...and about 50 watts more as a steady state.

How did you get a hold of a 4s Loong Max LiPo so quickly?
Old 02-23-2008, 03:38 AM
The Don
Balsa Butcher

Originally Posted by Lieutenant Loughead View Post
How did you get a hold of a 4s Loong Max LiPo so quickly?
I actually had one but thought it was a 15C but it was marked a 25C.

Don
Old 02-23-2008, 03:52 AM
hyperdynelabs

Don, I just flew my HL F-18 with the stock fan and your wicked edf motor. Easy conversion, love the motor.

On 3s, the plane flies a bit better than stock. I like how it flies.

On 4s, the thing turns into a beast. I get about a 1:1 thrust to weight ratio and it scorches the sky now. I am guessing mid 90mph from eyeballing it, but will doppler it here soon.

Your motor upgrade made a "eh ok" edf into a real eyebrow raiser!
Old 02-23-2008, 04:28 AM
The Don
Balsa Butcher

Originally Posted by hyperdynelabs View Post
On 4s, the thing turns into a beast. I get about a 1:1 thrust to weight ratio and it scorches the sky now. I am guessing mid 90mph from eyeballing it, but will doppler it here soon.
Your motor upgrade made a "eh ok" edf into a real eyebrow raiser!
When you get some video please post it.

Don
Old 02-26-2008, 06:29 AM
PerlAddict
Community Moderator

I just picked up the F-18 ... are you running the Wicked or Wicked Extreme in yours? I've got four Loong Max 4S 2250 25C's en route right now (they were the same price as the 20C's, but the 20C's have dropped about $4 since I ordered the 25C's last week ... go figure), so I'm trying to decide how I want to power this.

Now what am I going to do with all these stock motors I'm starting to have left over .... grrr ....
Old 02-26-2008, 03:49 PM
Lieutenant Loughead
UNCLUB OWNER

Don -- do you have a motor which would work well in a GWS P-38?

I'm looking for something with some speed, low thrust (because the twin will double the thrust), and low amp draw (under 10 amps per motor). :o
Old 02-26-2008, 05:05 PM
hyperdynelabs

I am running the wicked w/ the alfa rotor plug installed. The extreme will burn up with that fan. Even with the wicked on 4s, you are looking at 680-700W!!

I use the loong max 4s 2250 25c packs also. If you cut away the divider between bays you can fit the 4s no problem in the F-18.

The bird will be a bit nose heavy but it still flies well. Landings are a bit different, that high alpha landing on the videos is not as easily done.

Originally Posted by PerlAddict View Post
I just picked up the F-18 ... are you running the Wicked or Wicked Extreme in yours? I've got four Loong Max 4S 2250 25C's en route right now (they were the same price as the 20C's, but the 20C's have dropped about $4 since I ordered the 25C's last week ... go figure), so I'm trying to decide how I want to power this.

Now what am I going to do with all these stock motors I'm starting to have left over .... grrr ....
Old 02-26-2008, 09:33 PM
PerlAddict
Community Moderator

That's a lot o' watts! The standard Wicked's are speced for 40A @ 560W on Don's site, IIRC (with 4S and the 5-bladed Alfa Rotor). Those Loong Max batteries sure do give a heck of a jump!

I guess I may have to upgrade my ESC's I've bought to use with my motors. I was planning to use a 40A Suppo ESC, 4S 2250 25C Loong Max, and Wicked EDF combination in my Alfa Mig 15 with 5-bladed rotor. I think that's going to be too much for that ESC to handle, though. And once you pass the 40A range, most ESC's don't have a BEC built-in, so I'll have to be sure to pick up an external one.

What are you running for an ESC and BEC in your F-18?
Old 02-26-2008, 09:48 PM
hyperdynelabs

I am running the Turnigy plush 60A ESC from hobbycity. It has a built-in switching BEC. It has worked fine on 4s for me. I have used them in several planes, and I love the programming card (for under $10) for easy changes.

If you want an external UBEC, the HXT or OEMRC BECs from hobbycity are good too IMO!
Old 02-27-2008, 01:58 AM
PerlAddict
Community Moderator

I'd probably got with a Suppo 60A ESC for $24 and then a 3A switching BEC for $9 from LightFlightRC. I just wish I'd researched it a little better on the front end as far as wattage and amps with Loong Max batteries ... I've got a couple of 40A ESC's without a home now. Though I'm sure something will crop up for them sometime.

Guess this is how folks who have been in the hobby a long time end up with all these parts just lying around they find uses for as new projects pop up.

Little cheaper than the Turnigy and hopeful should perform just as well as the integrated switching BEC solution. I figure the external BEC's don't weigh spit anyway. I'm planning to try one of those Turnigy motors on my E-Flite J-3 Cub 25 when it gets here, so that might be a good one to try out that ESC on, too. That, or that E-Flite AT-6 I keep telling myself to stay away from. Thanks for that info ... the only ESC I'd been made aware of with a built-in switching BEC was the E-Flite 60A one, and it costs about twice what that Turnigy one does.

I know you already posted this at the "other" forum (since we seem to keep going round and round between them today - I ask a question there only to find you've already posted the answer here, so I post another one here only to find you've posted the answer over there in the meantime! lol), but can you post your amp, voltage, and wattage figures you're getting? Just so we build up some records we can go back and reference in this thread.
Old 02-27-2008, 11:39 AM
FresnoJay
Big foamie lover!

Don, Curious if you have any motors currently or on the horizon that would turn a 68mm fan in the 600-700 watt range and not smoke the motor? I know you tested a few motors into the 700 watt range but on smaller fans. MY fan has a MF 480 fan rotor. I am looking to pump up the power in my GWS A-4. I also am using a Turnigy 60A Plush and Loong Max 4S 2250 25C packs in the plane.

Jason
Old 02-27-2008, 11:51 AM
TOMSAID

I used a 60 amp pentium with the wicked extreme and 4s 2250 loong max my burst reading was over 55 amps, and it handled it without a problem plus it has a 3amp bec similar to the 40 amp unit. The esc is quite large and weighs over 2 ounces so you would need to check it fits in the F18
Old 02-27-2008, 05:36 PM
PerlAddict
Community Moderator

Whoa, has Don always had a 60A Pentium ESC? I thought they only went to 40A. I must've just been spacing out. Good to know there's another option for higher amp ESC's with built-in switching BEC's. I don't understand what the appeal of a Jeti even is with options like this out there? I suppose if you only needed a 30A ESC and just really wanted to save the size and weight, it makes sense, but dollars to dollars, I'd rather just get an overrated one and save a few bucks in the process, to boot. Buying separate ESC and BEC units still seems like a cheaper option most of the time, but the integrated switching BEC saves the extra soldering, as least.

Do you offer any combination discounts for motor and ESC purchases, Don?
Old 02-27-2008, 05:41 PM
TOMSAID

I dont know if Don stocks them I bought mine here in the uk.

Last edited by TOMSAID; 02-27-2008 at 06:01 PM.
Old 02-27-2008, 06:02 PM
hyperdynelabs

Yeah, plus ESCs like the Turnigy and Pentium should fit in the F-18 where the old ESC mounted. It may bulge out a tad, but it worked out ok.

From my memory, my numbers for the stock F-18 fan and wicked edf motor was: 1) 4s pack 2250mAH Loong Max, Turnigy 60A ESC, low timing = 51A, 680W, 26 oz thrust.

Quick Reply: The Official DonsRC Wicked EDF Motor Discussion Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.16546 seconds with 13 queries