Crash and Safety Forum Punch something in lately? Have safety suggestions? Tell the story, share safety tips, and show the pictures here.

Pre-Flight checks !!!! No matter how many years in RC - they go wrong

Old 04-23-2019, 07:31 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Default Pre-Flight checks !!!! No matter how many years in RC - they go wrong

It would seem its either getting too old or something ... but you just have those days when you THINK you have it sorted .... but you then do a blinder !!

1. I have a classic Brit model - WOT4 .... one of best sunday aerobatic sport machines ever. Will do the routine on a 40 size glow or equivalent ... stick a 60 in it and WOW ! Well I have a 4250 and 5S in mine ... she will go fine on a 40xx and 4S ...
Previous outing - I found a lazy aileron servo ... so it was hard to keep her trimmed as the servo would not reliably centre ... got her down and changed servos later at home.
Checked it all .... magic !

Get to field yesterday and all checked ... fine ....

This says it all ....

Yep - made the classic mistake of watching ailerons wrong way round ........ Now I have a major rebuild of front section and back under the wing ... luckily the cowl and spinner survived !!

2. Our club flies a mix of Fuel and Electric ... unlike most places - club has an understanding that they do not fly in same space together ... E has to move aside ... in the case of Cirava other side of hard runway. Plug in LiPo ... check my MXS ... launch and all going well till because of the orientation - she gets in the bright sun halo .... I reduce throttle to let her sink and then expect to see her to take control ... but wind is a little more than expected ... blows her downwind and she bashes into the hard runway ..
This is one of those EPP skins over ply frame models ... and surprisingly prop / spinner and firewall are all in one and good order ! EPP skin has torn and ply fram is split in a few places ... but an hour with CA at home ... epoxy to strengthen firewall to model joint and she's all back together again ... with only slight marks to show.

Over 55yrs RC and I still make rookie mistakes !!
Old 04-24-2019, 01:44 AM
Panther
Super Contributor

Easy to do mate. Too easy. A few years ago I did the same with a T28 Trojan. Havent forgotten it yet. Lol
Got a good video to remind me as well. If I find it I will post it.

Found it.

Old 04-24-2019, 09:32 AM
solentlife
Super Contributor

I know ... and you feel such a pr** for doing it .....

The WOT4 needs a complete rebuild of that front half from mid wing seat forward ... a job for my Laser machine. Luckily being a box fuselage - it will be ok to scarf it into the existing by cutting back into the good ..

Repairs I could well do without though !!
Old 04-24-2019, 11:41 PM
Don Sims
Administrator

Must be going around. I did it with a micro Slo Stick last week. Luckily realized what I had done and was able to land it fairly quickly. Throttled it down and floated in for a messy landing.