WWI Era Discuss all your favorite WWI warbirds here!

WWI planes

Old 07-22-2008, 07:26 PM
degreen60
Flying Fish

Originally Posted by WWI Ace View Post
I really hated to see that happen!! I was hoping to shoot it down myself!! Ha ha!! Sorry about your plane!! Steve
It will fly again, just keeping watching for it to dive on you out of the sun.

It will have a differant receiver. I have trashed the one that was in it.
Old 07-23-2008, 12:17 AM
WWI Ace
triplane test pilot

Degreen never gives up!! Good man!! Steve
Old 07-23-2008, 02:52 AM
barmonkey

Sorry to hear about the mishap. At least you got most of the pieces back...maybe it's time to move on...to like a 57" Fokker D.VIII
Old 07-24-2008, 03:55 AM
degreen60
Flying Fish

Originally Posted by barmonkey View Post
Sorry to hear about the mishap. At least you got most of the pieces back...maybe it's time to move on...to like a 57" Fokker D.VIII
Did you get the Fokker D.VIII ?
Old 07-24-2008, 05:07 AM
barmonkey

Yes, I did...like I need yet another project! I'll need to look into some more literature, as the rapidly growing pile of books I have now has very little info on the D.VIII (E.V).
Old 07-24-2008, 10:04 PM
scalercflyer
Super Contributor

Default Fokker DVIII

Me, me, ask me barmonkey!!!! I have plenty of info on the DVIII. Happens to be one of my favorite German fighters. I'll see if I can dig something up Martin
Old 07-25-2008, 12:17 AM
WWI Ace
triplane test pilot

Martin to the rescue!! He has quite an extensive library. Steve
Old 07-25-2008, 12:50 AM
barmonkey

Good to know I have a good resource here! I'll let you know... when I know enough to ask questions (?)
Old 07-25-2008, 01:38 AM
scalercflyer
Super Contributor

Default Happy to me!

Oh happy birthday to me, oh happy birthday to me, oh happy birthday, happy birthday, oh happy birthday to me..... (bet you Guys didn't know I could sing ... how do I sound? ) now maybe the wife and kid's will get me something that I want like a couple WWI kits, servos, Rxs, batteries, etc, etc, etc,........ Problem is I want it ALL!!! Is that wrong Guys??? Martin
Old 07-25-2008, 01:40 AM
Biplane Murphy
2 Wings, Twice The Fun

Originally Posted by scalercflyer View Post
Oh happy birthday to me, oh happy birthday to me, oh happy birthday, happy birthday, oh happy birthday to me..... (bet you Guys didn't know I could sing ... how do I sound? ) now maybe the wife and kid's will get me something that I want like a couple WWI kits, servos, Rxs, batteries, etc, etc, etc,........ Problem is I want it ALL!!! Is that wrong Guys??? Martin
Sooooooooooooooooo.........How is your 90th birthday going Marty?

Just Kidding.......

Happy Birthday to You!!!
Old 07-25-2008, 01:50 AM
scalercflyer
Super Contributor

Default DVIII info

barmonkey here it is:
http://wapedia.mobi/en/Fokker_E.V
http://www.wwi-models.org/Photos/Ger/Fok_EV/index.html
http://www.primeportal.net/hangar/bi...dviii_nx94100/
http://www.militaryfactory.com/aircr...ircraft_id=204
http://www.percongrp.com/pelikan/aircraft/dviii_ms.htm
http://modelingmadness.com/reviews/w1/ger/bodilyd8.htm
http://www.photovault.com/Link/Milit...kkerDVIII.html
http://hsfeatures.com/fokkerdviiimb_1.htm
http://www.sam27.com/building_tips_d-VIII.htm
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=565397

Need more? Let me know.... Martin
Old 07-25-2008, 02:25 AM
degreen60
Flying Fish

Oh happy birthday to me, oh happy birthday to me, oh happy birthday, happy birthday, oh happy birthday to me.....
My birthday is Sunday and at the start of the month my wife told me to buy myself an airplane. I kept looking but didn't really find what I wanted at a price I liked. Yesterday I found it. A Great Planes Electrifly SE5A is on its way to my house. I been trying to find a color photo of a USA 25th group SE5A. I already have the 25th emblem to make a decal for the fuselage side.
Old 07-25-2008, 03:04 AM
WWI Ace
triplane test pilot

Happy Birthday Marty AND Degreen!! Hope you guys get what you want. Hey Degreen. Are you talking about the Electrifly SE5a? The wife left again last Saturday to help open a new store in Blackfoot, Idaho!! Just me and the boys again till August 1st!! The 10yo just got back today from church camp so he had a 4 day break from his brothers. We're doing fine so far!! The wife gets back on the first and the oldest boy ships out to the Navy on August 6th!! So she'll be cutting it close!! Steve
Old 07-25-2008, 03:48 AM
scalercflyer
Super Contributor

Default Happy Birthday Degreen

Happy birthday Degreen old pal! Sorry to see your Camel bit the dust. I finally finished mine. I revised and strengthened the landing gear (based on your suggestion awhile ago) on my Wattage Camel by adding struts to the wire (hot glued them for flexibility) and extending the rear struts to the area under the fuse sides. It looks somewhat scale and sure stiffened it up. Tonight I'm going to replace the wheels with lighter and slightly bigger ones. Problem is I have to find something to reduce the hole size or bush the existing wire and/or wheel. I also installed some dihedral into the upper wing based on what I read on the threads. I have flown it once but it was tail heavy. Needless to say I landed her ASAP. At that time I had that crappy original LG. You should have seen it bend when I landed!!! I have since balanced it. I am running a cheapy BL motor (2410-12 w/10X6 prop)) I had on my Funny Park (crappy flier). It had more than enough power. However, I am running a smaller battery (900 mah). I have yet to calculate flight time so I won't fly her long at first. I have a bigger battery somewhere (1000 mah) to install later. I plan to fly her tomorrow if the weather cooperates. Martin
Old 07-25-2008, 04:49 AM
barmonkey

Martin, thanks for the linkys...those will prove to be a great help! Looks like Losenge fuse, green wing and white tail ... other than the black and yellow, that's the only pattern I have found so far.

Happy Birthday both of you kids!
Old 07-25-2008, 05:18 AM
degreen60
Flying Fish

Martin, it was my Tripe that bit the dust not the Wattage Camel. I fly my Camel on 6 nicads 1800ma under the cowl for balance.
Steve, yes it is the Electrifly SE5a I am getting. Tell your son I said good luck in the Navy. I joined the Navy out of high school. Went to several Navy schools. Got good training while in the Navy including some college.
Old 07-25-2008, 05:20 AM
degreen60
Flying Fish

Tonight I'm going to replace the wheels with lighter and slightly bigger ones. Problem is I have to find something to reduce the hole size or bush the existing wire and/or wheel.
Try the plastic stick from a cotton swab to make the wheel fit the wire.
Old 07-25-2008, 01:48 PM
scalercflyer
Super Contributor

Default Thanks

Thanks for the B-day wish barmonkey! If it were only true about me being a kid. Unfortunately turning 57 doesn't qualify. Oh well, I still have the mind of a 20 year old! Does that count? Martin
Old 07-25-2008, 03:54 PM
7car7

Happy birthday you 2!

Degreen60, I'm looking forward to seeing an SE5 in a different scheme, should be very cool. You'll really like that plane, it's lot's of fun. But I was used to a PTM before this SE5, and wow, what a difference. The SE5 is a plane that you can not take your eyes off. As they say, it's a plane you have to fly ALL THE TIME. I've been flying mine since last winter, and it still made me nervous. Only crashed it once, (my fault 100%) so, obviously, with my intermediate skills, it's a good flyer.
Old 07-25-2008, 07:06 PM
hillbille
Super Contributor

Here's a Modeltech S.E.5a in flight picture I took at our little flying sight. Don (the pilot of the S.E.5a) flies it about every time he comes out. I am the guy sitting on the stool behind my truck relaxing while the SS takes the pictures!!

Hillbille
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	SE5a_n_Flight1A.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	73679  
Old 07-25-2008, 07:09 PM
hillbille
Super Contributor

Oops! Cropped me out of the previous picture - and then made reference to me!! DOH!! I hate getting old!!

Here's the WHOLE picture!!

Hillbille
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	SE5a_n_Flight1.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	73680  
Old 07-25-2008, 09:25 PM
degreen60
Flying Fish

Originally Posted by 7car7 View Post
Happy birthday you 2!

Degreen60, I'm looking forward to seeing an SE5 in a different scheme, should be very cool.
So far I have found some pictures of a model and a couple of artist drawings of a SE5A of the 25th. The color pictures and one drawing are the same plane. It is trimed in blue. The other drawing is not in color so I can't tell if other planes of the 25th were trimed in a differant color. I also found an artist color drawing of SE5A of the 94th. It was in Texas 1919,1920. Has large stars and the hat in ring. I may go with the 94th, the large stars and the hat-in-ring adds color to the plane even without extra trim and would sure be differant.

I have found a new way to make stickers that I will be trying soon. I have a 4X6 photo printer that is not inkjet. The prints it makes are water proof. I soaked a print in water and took all the paper off the back. It is almost a thin milar now. If I want larger sticker I will put the file on disk and print at Walmart and see it thier prints are water proof too. I been making them on my inkjet and no mater how much I spray clear over them the ink still runs when the morning dew gets on them.
Old 07-25-2008, 09:39 PM
Percyflyer
Sir Percy

There are several videos of the Electrifly SE5A flying on the HDP website at www.hoosierdawnpatrol.com. Plus some links to reference material

steve
Old 07-28-2008, 12:20 AM
WWI Ace
triplane test pilot

cool stuff!! Thanks steve!!! steve
Old 07-28-2008, 03:38 PM
degreen60
Flying Fish

I may have found how I want to paint my SE5A before I put it together. I have learned that there were SE5A as trainers at Kelly Field. The wings were yellow with large preWW2 type stars. Fuselage were khaki. Should make the plane easy to see when flying. What is the best paint to use on the heat shrink covering that is already on the GP SE5a?

Quick Reply: WWI planes

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.14802 seconds with 14 queries