Hobbyking Laser-Cut Big Stick kit - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft Discuss and share your scratch built or kit built aircraft as well as building techniques, methods, mediums and resources.

Hobbyking Laser-Cut Big Stick kit

Old 09-23-2015, 10:49 PM
Marc

Default Hobbyking Laser-Cut Big Stick kit

I totaled out my Sig Wonder this summer. All of the parts seemed to be recyclable except for the receiver and one servo. I decided to build the Hobbyking Laser-Cut Big Stick for only $30 to replace it. I found the kit instructions to be rather skimpy, but the wood supplied was quite good and well cut. The tab and notch construction was well done. The control linkage in the kit consisted of three pieces of unsheathed .055" music wire, E-Z connectors for same, and cheezy clear plastic control horns better suited for small foamies. I replaced all of it. Landing gear and wheels were provided but their means of installation remain a mystery.

I decided to build the wing as bolt-on rather than rubber banded. The leading edge sheeting supplied was not quite long enough to span all of the ribs, so I shortened the wing by a fraction of an inch. The center section sheeting was pre-cut to span between only two ribs, so I glued a plywood wing joiner to the backbone and top and bottom spars. This caused me to build both wing halves as a single unit. The hold-down hook protruding from the leading edge in the photo is actually a plywood half-rib sandwiched between the two balsa inner ribs. This gave me a snug fit to the notch I cut into the stack of fuselage formers ahead of the leading edge. The design suggested that the ailerons were to be built as an integrated part of the wing construction to be cut away and hinged later. I bought a single piece of 1" trailing edge stock at the hobby shop and used that. I moved the aileron servos out an extra rib bay so as not to tug on the very ends of the ailerons.

The fuselage was intended to be a 1/16" lite-ply frame with balsa on the top and bottom only. The frame sides were intended to be covered with Monokote only. This seemed to be rather cheezy, so I glued the frame sides to 1/16" balsa sheets before assembly and trimmed when dry. Rubber bands were helpful when assembling the fuselage. The horizontal lite-ply member that bisected the cowl area was removed to accommodate a somewhat swollen 2200mAh battery. Some Dremel work was required to open the fuselage formers, and a magnetic top hatch was installed. The magnets supplied were very strong, so I didn't put two of them together. I made a rear opening for air to pass out of the fuselage.

The plans call for a center of gravity of "19-20cm from the top of the head" - whatever that means. I'm thinking about 2" back from the leading edge for starters. The adjustable motor mount in the photo was required to achieve that. I'll give you a flight report on this model in a few days.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Big Stick 001.jpg
Views:	414
Size:	228.9 KB
ID:	181794 Click image for larger version

Name:	Big Stick 002.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	237.4 KB
ID:	181795 Click image for larger version

Name:	Big Stick 003.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	233.2 KB
ID:	181796 Click image for larger version

Name:	Manual1.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	293.4 KB
ID:	181797 Click image for larger version

Name:	Manual2.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	278.4 KB
ID:	181798
Old 09-23-2015, 11:16 PM
max2112
Super Contributor

Good looking build, Marc!

What do you think your AUW will be?

Stiks are always fun. I converted my E-Stik to tricycle gear and love it.
Old 09-26-2015, 04:14 AM
Marc

I don't know what the AUW is for this model. I only have a 16 oz. food scale at home. I know that the weight of only the covered wood was 13 oz. I'm guessing my flying weight is around 28-30 oz. My Turnigy 35-30 1400kV motor on a MAS 8x4 prop can barely lift it vertically. An APC-style prop would do much better, but I got tired of making poor landings while jiggling the throttle to get the prop level and replacing a broken prop every 3 or 4 flights doing belly landings. The one good thing about IC engines was that you could set them up to stop with the prop horizontal.

I have now made 3 flights with the Big Stick to get it sorted out. It now takes straight away hand launches, and makes slow grass-skimming landings. Mild aerobatics are a breeze. For a flat-bottom winged aircraft, it takes very little down-elevator in inverted flight. I set up my ailerons with the maximum deflection that my 9-gram servos could manage, 5/16" up and 1/4" down. The roll rate is still quite sluggish compared to my other models. A 1.25" or 1.5" aileron width would have give the plane a snappier response.

Overall, this new plane is a welcome addition to my fleet. I apologize for the plain appearance of my model. I love building and flying. I'm always looking for low-wing sport plane kits in the 40-50" wingspan range for less than $100, but there aren't many out there. Your recommendations are welcome.
Old 09-26-2015, 08:17 AM
solentlife
Super Contributor

I'm looking for a model to put on floats and this is a contender ... or the Skyartec Cessna ....

Comments ?

Nigel
Old 09-26-2015, 08:47 AM
fhhuber
Super Contributor

If its gonna get in water its gonna get wet... That can cause issues for balsa airframes if you don't plan ahead for drying it out after a dunking.
Old 09-26-2015, 12:25 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by fhhuber View Post
If its gonna get in water its gonna get wet... That can cause issues for balsa airframes if you don't plan ahead for drying it out after a dunking.
In the old days ... we used varnish thinned down to impregnate the wood ...

Today I would use the thin spray lacquers available in the DIY shops. I use it on my Polaris to seal the paint etc.

So basically before covering ... a quick spray over ... then cover once dry. The spray lacquer wont stop the film from adhering, in fact would assist it to stick better.

I thought about the STICK as its a traditional job ... can be easily modd'd to floats ... can take good power and prop to fly ... and of course CHEAP !!

Nigel