4s edf jet suggestions - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Electric Ducted Fan Jets Discuss electric ducted fan jets here including setup tips, power systems, flying techniques, etc.

4s edf jet suggestions

Old 07-18-2013, 04:03 PM
BBCorvette18

Default 4s edf jet suggestions

hi all I will be looking to buy a new bird soon and thinking a edf jet sounds good. I would like something that has a good power to weight ratio on 4s 2200 lipos and looks cool. what are your suggestions to look for?
Old 07-18-2013, 04:24 PM
dahawk
Super Contributor

How big ? and How much ? Paved or hand launch or bungee ?

I fly my some of my JPowers 50mm sky angels on 4s as well as my 64mm Phase 3 EF-16. I hear the Stinger is nice. Fishbonez can fill you in on that one. I think there's a lot if options.

Looking for smooth? Then I recommend the EF-16 from Hobby People look for when they put them on sale for $79

I also like the smaller Red Arrows T-45 50mm but these do not have large enough cabins for 2200's. the problem with 4s on these edf's is the flight time.

On 3S, I only get about 4 min with EF-16. With 4S, about 3 min.

Depends what you are looking for.

Hawk
Old 07-18-2013, 06:21 PM
kyleservicetech
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by BBCorvette18 View Post
hi all I will be looking to buy a new bird soon and thinking a edf jet sounds good. I would like something that has a good power to weight ratio on 4s 2200 lipos and looks cool. what are your suggestions to look for?
Yup
I've got one of those EDF fan jets, along with a couple of other club members. Mine runs on a 3S1P 2200 LiPo battery.

That said, most of my club members that are flying this size model are flying the types with a propeller on the back, rather than a ducted fan. IMHO, those toothpick props are far more efficient than a ducted fan. Those higher quality prop type jets in my club are flying close to or over 100 MPH.

We have one club member that put together a large foamie jet with about 6 feet of wing span. Power is a pair of EDF fans, pulling about 90 Amps each out of a pair of 5S1P 5500 Mah Lipo packs. Its running at about 230 watts per pound of airplane. That model never got up enough speed to get off the ground, that on a grass field mowed really short.
Old 07-18-2013, 06:24 PM
fhhuber
Super Contributor

Standard props are much more efficient than the EDF. You can fly a heavier airplane for longer on the same battery with higher performance using the prop instead of the EDF.

But there is a "cool factor" to an EDF model that sounds like it has a turbine.

Note that bad ducting can make any EDF fail... 150 watts per pound should fly an EDF just fine.
Old 07-18-2013, 06:39 PM
dahawk
Super Contributor

Denny,
I 100% agree with you on efficiency. I've built several profile foamie Park jets and have even converted a few edf's to pusher. But there still is a cool factor to the edf and I keep a couple around. Maybe it's the sound or scale looks that resonate. The first one I built was a F4J Phantom II. The Vietnam era guys loved it. in fact it won " model of the month"

Funny thing is that a guy could put up a $ 3,000 scale prop plane and the oohs and ah's go to the $80.00 F-16. They seem to be crowd pleasers. When spectators come to the field , I can hear them saying: "Look, there's a Jet ". Lol

On my little 50mm T-45, it flies pretty good but my Rare Bear could pass by like it was standing still. Nothing I found intimidating about flying edf's

-Hawk

Last edited by dahawk; 07-18-2013 at 11:25 PM.
Old 07-18-2013, 06:43 PM
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

Depending on if you don't mind doing some mod'ing, and have a little extra money for upgrades, here's one of my favorites. HobbyKing F4D-1 Skyray. I guess the looks or love-it-or-hate-it, but I love all the 50's and 60's unique jet fighters, so this was a no-brainer for me. I have the original HobbyLobby version, this one appears to be a clone, and I just got the HK version this week when they brought it to their USA warehouse. My HL one with it's stock power system and 1300 3s batt could barely beat a SuperCub in a race, but it could land almost in a hover! I've upgraded it twice, once to a higher power 3s system with a 2200 batt, now I'm running 4s 2200, and I can go vertical right from when the wheels leave the ground! So you can grow into it, and it's not hard to access the ESC and fan. Like I said, I just got the 2nd one, as the original is starting to look a bit rough (mostly from when we were getting first acquainted...). I've never bought the same plane before, so that's saying something! There are some flight techniques, CG and landing gear adjustments to help alleviate a kangaroo landing issue, and they're discussed on an RCG thread here. Even with the added weight of the battery and in my case, an aluminum shroud edf, I can do extremely slow, high AOA flight, and extremely short landings, while having good (But no, NOT 100mph!) speed and great vertical. Of course with all that power, it's only 3 minutes of fun, but OH, what fun!

Old 07-18-2013, 07:29 PM
kyleservicetech
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by dahawk View Post
Denny,

Funny thing is that a guy could put up a $ 3,000 scale prop plane and the oohs and ah's go to the $80.00 F-16. They seem to be crowd pleasers. When spectators come to the field , I can hear them saying: "Look, there's a Jet ". Lol

-Hawk
Yeah, the common guy looks at that $3000 scale prop plane, or that $5000 +++ wet turbine model, and ouch! But, he looks at that $80 to $160 foamie jet, and "Hey I can afford that!"

As for those electric jets in our club, we've got many members with multi-thousand dollar giant scale models, along with a bunch of foamie jet models.

And, when the wind hits 15-20 MPH, those giant scale models are parked, and out come their high speed foamie jets, that can just about fly in any kind of wind conditions. You can pretty much cart wheel one of those foamies, pick it up and fly it again. And, if they should smack one, its just a bit of foam CA or epoxy, and it's flying again.

Nice thing about those high speed foamie jets. If you can fly one of these, and do acrobatics with it, you can easily fly one of the larger $$$$ models, since they are much slower in response, and much easier to fly.
Old 07-18-2013, 09:03 PM
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

Originally Posted by kyleservicetech View Post
...Nice thing about those high speed foamie jets. If you can fly one of these, and do acrobatics with it, you can easily fly one of the larger $$$$ models, since they are much slower in response, and much easier to fly.
That's us!!!!

Though usually I'm more like -

Although i have to admit, I'm finally trying some 'real' aerobatics with my first real stunt plane, the EF Edge540QQ, and it takes a lot of skill and coordination to do a lot of what they do! Even simple things are not as easy as they look, especially to pull them off while keeping your plane on the heading you want, and such. Not to mention, it gives me a headache just to try and think of how to fly a rolling circle!

But we digress!

Another of my favorite EDF's is an old Starmax F-35 I souped up to a 4s system with 2200 battery. Similar performance to the Ford (F-4D-1 Skyray above) but can't do the slow stuff nearly as well. And while it can't land on a dime, it's stupid easy to come in for a nose high, main wheels first, making-the-vulture's-row-guys-jealous touchdown every-time. I think FMS has a similar one, that may be better due to the battery access being on the top.
Old 07-19-2013, 01:42 AM
BBCorvette18

3s is an option too as I have them as well. I know props are more efficient then edfs I just want a sweet edf. and have up to 4s batts to power something.

high alpha slow flight and unlimited verticle combined with decent fly by speed is what im wanted. just a good all around fun edf that wont break the bank but im not against upgrading or building I like the fighter jets
Old 07-19-2013, 02:10 AM
dahawk
Super Contributor

BB,

If you want real high alpha, then the homemade Dollar Tree "prop in the slot" are the ticket but if you want an edf that meets all your requirements , my recommendation would be the Phase 3 EF-16 when it goes on sale from Hobby People for about $79.00. It's very manueverable, has near unlimted vertical, pretty high alpha when you point her into the wind and can fly slow when you want a slow fly by. She won't tip stall. Very smooth and easy to self hand launch. The downside is that's it's not made from EPO. More or less beer cooler foam but durable enough. If this is your first edf, I would highly recomend it. Spectators at the field love it. They must think that flying one of these is more difficult, where really, it's probably my easiest plane to fly.

I get about 4 minutes on a 2200 3S 20C which really is not bad for an edf.

I don't know the Stinger but a few guys here like Fishbonez and Stuart rave about it.

Then there's the smaller 50mm Jpower/Skyangels series. They are amazingly scale looking and there's big variety of fighters. Cheap yet very capable. The T-45 is the easiest to fly of the bunch. Check Toysonics, Hobbyb, HK. It has a large cabin for using a variety of batteries, can be hopped up to 4S fairly easily. They also have T-33, F-18, F-16, AMX, A4, F-22, Mirage, F-35, Grippen, etc. What's nice is that the parts ( motors,fans, esc's) are interchangeable amongst models. And when they near retirement, you can easily add extended life by converting them to pushers.

I hear the Freewing F9F Panther from Value Hobby is a nice one too. It's about $70.00 I might have to order that one. Dang it. I didn't want to remind myself about that one. !

Good luck and above all, have fun !

-Hawk
Old 07-19-2013, 06:37 AM
BBCorvette18

thanks weve built a few of the simple $ store jets but I want something that is faily scale. i was looking at the epp f22 at hobbyking but again just wanted some ideas for jets to specifically start researching
Old 07-21-2013, 01:34 AM
Brick
small Member

i love my Stinger 64 & Phase 3 EF-16.....won't be dissapointed with either

the EF-16 takes quite a bit more build time
Old 07-21-2013, 02:01 AM
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

As already mentioned I cant say enough about the Stinger 64. I had poor success with Phase 3 EF16 because of tailerons (spelling) and I did not like the "beer foam" but many have had a lot of success with it so I will or will not recommend it but to make it 4S, originally a 3S, might make it to heavy. It is very light.
Now the Stinger well that is my rollercoaster all in one. People have been hopping this thing up like crazy. I recently read of someone putting a 5S in it seems crazy to me but...
Old 07-21-2013, 07:58 AM
solentlife
Super Contributor

That's a simple one to answer .....

The T45's are about the best stable flyers out there in EDF form ... they are never out and out speed machines but they perform well.

For up to 1600 4S ... the Jpower 50mm T45 will just about be ballistic even on stock motor ! Good idea to replace the ESC for higher rating ... the HK 50A is a good fit, and have replacement higher rate motor spare ..as some of the stock motors burn out after a few flights. But if you want a ballistic job ... then a Kit fitted with Turnigy EDF 2610 motor, stock or budget 6 blade DF unit, 50A ESC and the 4s will blow the opposition away !

If you really want to stay with 2200 4S ... then the Lanyu 64mm T45 ... sold as a $29.99 kit on Hobby King will do nicely.

Both above will balance nose heavy with the 4S in but it doesn't seem to hurt flight performance and landing. The Lanyu - I did modify to tail mounted elevator servos ( 2 x 5gr jobs instead of front mounted single 9gr). This helped me use a 2700 4S, stock DF unit, 4300kv Turnigy 2815 motor... in mine ...

Love em ? You bet !! Best is the 50mm but for smoother flight the larger 64mm is the one.

Check out my Youtube channel "solentlifeuk" and you'll see them in action.

Nigel
Old 07-21-2013, 08:03 AM
solentlife
Super Contributor

3s is an option too as I have them as well. I know props are more efficient then edfs I just want a sweet edf. and have up to 4s batts to power something.

high alpha slow flight and unlimited verticle combined with decent fly by speed is what im wanted. just a good all around fun edf that wont break the bank but im not against upgrading or building I like the fighter jets
Jpower (Skyangel) 50mm EDF's it is then .... cheap but good performers without breaking the bank.

Nigel
Old 07-26-2013, 03:30 AM
pylonboy

I would seriously consider one of the Great Planes EDF's such as their F-16,Phazer, or the Evader. I have seen the first two, and they are quite nice with the Phazer flying the best from what I hear.

I have the Evader which is the fastest of the trio. If you are up to the speed, then this is a cool looking plane that handles well and runs on 4s 2200 batts. You need a 35 amp ESC, two HS65 servos, and that is about it. It comes with the fan and motor. Both are very good, and this thing EASILY does 100+ mph.

They even give you a bungee launcher and cradle for the plane. I have my own bungee setup, but theirs seems o.k. Check out the blogs on other forums for some small things to look out for on the build.
Old 07-31-2013, 03:30 AM
BullDog2012

Hi,

My first EDF was the Stinger 64. You can get it here:

http://www.motionrc.com/freewing-64m...r-jet-red-pnp/

$112 shipped to your door. I fly mine with 1600 and 1800s but lots of guys say it flies good on 2200.

I think you would really enjoy it. I have 20 flights on mine and have kept it together in one piece. It's not super fast, they say 70-80mph but I'd say its more like 60mph - the roll rate is nice.

You can upgrade it to 4s or just buy the V2 version from Hobbyking (even though it looks like 80's) here: http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store..._EPO_PNF_.html

I like it because its foam and there are a ton of cheap replacement parts for it.

Good Luck. I think it makes a great first EDF if you have your orientation down and are used to flying planes in the 50-70 mph range.

Good Luck

In regards to the Phase III Jet, what motor sizes are recommended. The reason I ask is I bought a homemade Jet at Perry Show and I don't care for it too much, want to move the hardware over to a jet and thought it might work on the phase III. Thanks