A Slow Stick post for the Slow Stick fans - Page 5 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

ParkFlyers Talk about all backyard and parkflyer aircraft here

A Slow Stick post for the Slow Stick fans

Old 05-17-2006, 09:58 PM
qban_flyer

Talking

Originally Posted by LOW-N-SLOW View Post
Watched video. Yeah Babee, 'ats what I talkin' 'bout! Too much fun!
I'd try that, but with my luck I'd assidentily stick an M-80 on it...hmmm, that could be a BLAST too, huh?
Make sure you get that on video.

Got a tittle for it, "Slow Stick Goes Confetti!"

Old 05-18-2006, 01:19 AM
mastrsn
"Look out for that pole!"

Originally Posted by crxmanpat View Post

Link to video thread is wrong, try: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...70#post5477970

Also, check out my Dogfight video here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...51#post5475651

More video links at our Dawn Patrol website.....
Old 05-18-2006, 05:09 AM
qban_flyer

Thumbs up

Brilliant! Marvelous! Smashing! Stunning!

Old 05-18-2006, 12:49 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Outstanding Bob! I loved it. Makes me want to take my camera out more now than ever...
Old 05-18-2006, 05:29 PM
crxmanpat
Community Moderator

Originally Posted by mastrsn View Post
Link to video thread is wrong
Weird, I thought I had copied and pasted the direct post. Oh well, it's fixed now.
Old 05-18-2006, 11:23 PM
mastrsn

We have fun and record alot of our flying. Movies are our second passion.
Old 05-18-2006, 11:26 PM
mastrsn

Originally Posted by LOW-N-SLOW View Post
I'd try that, but with my luck I'd assidentily stick an M-80 on it
'ASS'identily?
Old 05-19-2006, 12:10 AM
crxmanpat
Community Moderator

Bob,

Have you seen this thread? Or more specifically, the website that is linked in it? Pay particalur attention to the last pic on page 11.
Old 05-19-2006, 02:10 AM
mastrsn

Originally Posted by crxmanpat View Post
Bob,

Have you seen this thread? Or more specifically, the website that is linked in it? Pay particalur attention to the last pic on page 11.
Sorry, I could not find a picture on page 11 as there is no page 11 in the thread (?).
Old 05-19-2006, 04:23 AM
crxmanpat
Community Moderator

Sorry, I could not find a picture on page 11 as there is no page 11 in the thread (?).
Actually, I meant page 11 on the website link that is in that thread. Check it out again, you may be pleasantly surprised!
Old 05-24-2006, 01:19 PM
qban_flyer

Thumbs up 2410-12 Tower Pro Slow Stick

Flew it for the first time (the power plant, that is) very early this morning (6:40 am) at a park .2 of a mile from home. I am really impressed with the Tower Pro 2410-12s outrunner and as expected the same goes for the Tower Pro 15A ESC.

Power wise it is favorably comparable to the Esskay 400XT, though for the price and availability it can't be beat. Propellers are also cheaper for this motor.

I am glad I got the Tower Pro combination, it is really nice!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	slo-sitck.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	12033   Click image for larger version

Name:	slo-stick002.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	12034   Click image for larger version

Name:	slo-stick02.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	12035  

Old 05-24-2006, 04:22 PM
Doc Pete
Pete O'Connor

Originally Posted by qban_flyer View Post
. I am really impressed with the Tower Pro 2410-12s outrunner and as expected the same goes for the Tower Pro 15A ESC.
Boy, I can sure see a difference in setup, which could be why I love how my machine handles.

My wing mount is only a few inches back from the motor. This gives me a longer tail moment, which makes the plane more stable and at the same time, offers more authority to the rudder. In addition, having the landing gear so far up front makes whacking the prop almost impossible. Finally, I have the standard 12 and not the 12s. It likes an 8" prop, which further adds to the "difficulty" in hitting the prop on the ground......
Your machine looks great, too......
Try switching things around a bit (since it's so easy with the SS) and you may find the SS more crash resistant and more responsive....
BTW, I don't give free rides to "onlookers"
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	SS full.JPG
Views:	291
Size:	109.9 KB
ID:	12046  
Old 05-24-2006, 08:47 PM
qban_flyer

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Doc Pete View Post
Boy, I can sure see a difference in setup, which could be why I love how my machine handles.

My wing mount is only a few inches back from the motor. This gives me a longer tail moment, which makes the plane more stable and at the same time, offers more authority to the rudder. In addition, having the landing gear so far up front makes whacking the prop almost impossible. Finally, I have the standard 12 and not the 12s. It likes an 8" prop, which further adds to the "difficulty" in hitting the prop on the ground......
Your machine looks great, too......
Try switching things around a bit (since it's so easy with the SS) and you may find the SS more crash resistant and more responsive....
BTW, I don't give free rides to "onlookers"
Thanks for the comments.

My motor uses a different type of mount than yours so it sits a good 3/4" further aft than in your case. I have mine balanced at the foremost recommended CG point (3 3/4") for better penetration, though I am always sliding the wing back and forth to change its flight characteristics. Have had the CG as far back as 4 3/4" from its leading edge to make for a wild riding bird.

I have never used anythig larger than a 10" propeller on mine so I have no problems with it hitting the tarmac. This is my first and only Slow Stick. It has well over 500 flights under its feathers. :p

What turned me on to them was this kid (30+ something is a kid to me) whom I helped in his learning curve. He brought one of them to the field. No one would give him the time of day since he had a three channel Hitec radio with no buddy box facilities. Big Deal. Heck back in the late 60s and 70s we didn't have buddy boxes and we trained many people to fly that way, so I took him under my tutelage. After that first session I went the LHS and got me the one you see here.

The extra hole on the boom, aft of the 2410-12s mount is the one used for the original G/B, I have another one on top for the E-Flite EFLM1915 stick mount adapter, Velcro strips are for battery mounting purposes when I try different motors. That should give you an idea as to how many mods this little thing has gone through. It has yet to crash (knock on Depron).

BTW. Who are those two "little things" keeping an eye on yours?

Old 05-25-2006, 03:47 AM
Doc Pete
Pete O'Connor

Thanks for the comments.

My motor uses a different type of mount than yours so it sits a good 3/4" further aft than in your case. I have mine balanced at the foremost recommended CG point (3 3/4") for better penetration, though I am always sliding the wing back and forth to change its flight characteristics. Have had the CG as far back as 4 3/4" from its leading edge to make for a wild riding bird.
Yeah, My motor is a little farther forward than yours. I just checked my CG.
I'm at 5 3/8" back from the LE. No wonder it's a blast to fly.
Old 05-25-2006, 03:38 PM
qban_flyer

Talking

Yeah, My motor is a little farther forward than yours. I just checked my CG.
I'm at 5 3/8" back from the LE. No wonder it's a blast to fly.
Does it 3D?

Old 05-25-2006, 04:23 PM
Doc Pete
Pete O'Connor

Does it 3D?
Hmmmmmmm, what's that??:p :p

Ya know, I can see having a little info about wing placment, CG and dihedral. I've flown 3 or 4 other guy's SS, and they all fly a bit different. It might be neat to offer different info and how it affects the flying of the SS.
I'm sure that there's some "youngins" flying with the CG on the trailing edge.
FWIW, I may try get a video of my SS landing without input.
Last week it was very calm and I was able setup a landing approach (a good 100ft. or more, already deadstick) and put the radio on the ground and the SS would glide in and land by itself.....Never had another machine be able to do that.
Actually, it was quite exciting to just watch as it came in nose high and touched down........
Old 05-25-2006, 04:33 PM
qban_flyer

Thumbs up

Hmmmmmmm, what's that??:p :p

Ya know, I can see having a little info about wing placment, CG and dihedral. I've flown 3 or 4 other guy's SS, and they all fly a bit different. It might be neat to offer different info and how it affects the flying of the SS.
I'm sure that there's some "youngins" flying with the CG on the trailing edge.
FWIW, I may try get a video of my SS landing without input.
Last week it was very calm and I was able setup a landing approach (a good 100ft. or more, already deadstick) and put the radio on the ground and the SS would glide in and land by itself.....Never had another machine be able to do that.
Actually, it was quite exciting to just watch as it came in nose high and touched down........
Have no clue, though some in the area seem to think I am an expert at it. I just take the plane up and let the sticks go, the plane does everything by itself. It even crashes on its own! :o

I would love to see your Slick Slow Stick do that!

My three year old indoor 4 0z Butterfly ('bout 24" W/S) does that on its own as well, though I have never tried it with my Slick Slow Stick .

Old 05-25-2006, 06:53 PM
uglyplane
Ugly planes fly better..

I love the SS for what it is. Unfortunately I got too upgrade crazy and ended up with a SS that wasn't so slow anymore. Now that I live in an area with a lot of trees, I'm going to have to build a new SS that can once again fly slow and low to use the greenbelt behind my house. Here's the green belt I want to use (note the creek in the middle!) and my SS:

greenbelt (both directions):

SS with V-tail, PJS1000 outrunner, ABX & DMA Dragonfly wings...

Old 05-25-2006, 08:56 PM
qban_flyer

Thumbs up

AW! Shucks, you have plenty of room there for your Slow Stick to fly safely. I was flying mine from an outdoor basketball court yesterday morning, one that has a recreation house on one side and it's surrounded by threes on the other three.

No sweat! The Slow Stick just didn't care how tight my turns were. The Tower Pro 2410-12s (STAR) outrunner on two cell FMA Cellpro 1500 mil pack swinging a GWS 10X4.7 propeller were furnishing all the power I needed for my harebrained hijinks.

Old 05-25-2006, 09:31 PM
uglyplane
Ugly planes fly better..

This SS got a lot heavier and faster with the wing change, motor ect, resulting in a faster takeoff/landing and stall speed. I flew there once and I felt the trees looming up so I had to take it upstairs above the tree tops. This made me nervous as I have gotten used to flying helis close in, so I quickly landed. I want it to be able to fly close in and slow, but still have lots of control authority so I'll probably build a new one with the ton's of parts I have and run my geared AF 010 or some lighter, lower current outrunner. I just want it to ROG, have the thrust when I need it and come in slow.
I used to fly in my residential street at my old home. I would take off down the driveway and then climb out over the neighbors' house across the street. When I was ready to land, I would come down the street which was perpendicular to my driveway. Had to watch some trees and sideways drift from rotors coming off the houses...It would be a puckering experience to do it with the way it is now...

I would like to have a wing made of cf rods and ripstop like a tough kite. If the wing had a LE and TE of cf tubing and ribs made of EPP and then covered with ripstop , maybe a variety of tough wings could be made, sym, undercambered, flat bottomed, ect....Wouldn't want the cf to be stressed as it would break in the presence of heat...

Last edited by uglyplane; 05-26-2006 at 02:16 PM.
Old 05-27-2006, 02:54 AM
mastrsn

Uglyplane:

Where is the CG point on your ABX wing?
Old 05-31-2006, 02:43 AM
uglyplane
Ugly planes fly better..

Uglyplane:

Where is the CG point on your ABX wing?
I'm not finding that wing right now, but I'm guessing I went with 33% MAC and just played with it 'til I liked the way it flew..:o
Old 05-31-2006, 02:25 PM
qban_flyer

Thumbs down GWS has ruined it!

GWS has managed to ruin what used to be the Aerodynamically Correct, Indestructible, Inexpensive, Pleasurable, Slick and Versatile Slow Stick!

Regarding the "new and improved version" of the Slow Stick.
Split boom: I never liked the idea of a split boom to begin with, I like it even less on the new model where the end user is forced to "take it" whether we like it or not. A split boom makes for a weaker "airframe", one that won't survive beginner's mistakes as nicely as the original has. :o

It may appear like a smart move on GWS' part, in the end it will doom the model to failure as a viable beginner's option. The argument about "ease of transportation" for the "split boom" is not a valid one either. Dismantling that bird for transport and reassembling at any field will take a good 10 minutes for each operation. Then there is the "are the elevator and rudder trims OK" factor to take into consideration. The minuses are greater than the pluses. I'll stop by my LHS and pick one of the older ones up. I won't touch the new one with a ten foot pole, period.

If this is the only version that will be available in the future, the model's fate has been sealed by itd manufacturer. It is doomed to fail miserably. :o

There is nothing easier and friendler than throwing a single piece, "rigid boomed" Slow Stick on the back seat and just pull it out, put its wing on and go fly whenever one feels like so doing.

IMHO, GWS has managed to accomplish the impossible, They have screwed up the venerable Slow Stick beyond recognition. The chance for it to be recommended as a viable, useful and long lasting trainer no longer exist.

I have removed the "model" from my SIG.

Old 06-01-2006, 01:28 AM
mastrsn

GWS has managed to ruin what used to be the Aerodynamically Correct, Indestructible, Inexpensive, Pleasurable, Slick and Versatile Slow Stick!

Regarding the "new and improved version" of the Slow Stick.
Split boom: I never liked the idea of a split boom to begin with, I like it even less on the new model where the end user is forced to "take it" whether we like it or not. A split boom makes for a weaker "airframe", one that won't survive beginner's mistakes as nicely as the original has. :o

It may appear like a smart move on GWS' part, in the end it will doom the model to failure as a viable beginner's option. The argument about "ease of transportation" for the "split boom" is not a valid one either. Dismantling that bird for transport and reassembling at any field will take a good 10 minutes for each operation. Then there is the "are the elevator and rudder trims OK" factor to take into consideration. The minuses are greater than the pluses. I'll stop by my LHS and pick one of the older ones up. I won't touch the new one with a ten foot pole, period.

If this is the only version that will be available in the future, the model's fate has been sealed by itd manufacturer. It is doomed to fail miserably. :o

There is nothing easier and friendler than throwing a single piece, "rigid boomed" Slow Stick on the back seat and just pull it out, put its wing on and go fly whenever one feels like so doing.

IMHO, GWS has managed to accomplish the impossible, They have screwed up the venerable Slow Stick beyond recognition. The chance for it to be recommended as a viable, useful and long lasting trainer no longer exist.

I have removed the "model" from my SIG.
You Know, I have no idea what that rant was about- you praise it one thread and the condem it another.

I thought this was a constructive thread, as many here all share their fun with the Stick. That's all it was ment for- FUN.

Please don't kill it with an Editorial of how you feel GWS should manufacture their kits, it doesn't fit here. Open another thread and feel free to propgandate all you want. I just can't understand how you can post soooooo many times raving about the Slow Stick, and then be so negative......

But then, I see politicians do that all the time too.

Besides, GWS regularly puts out information like this and their new kits, and take 3 years to product the actual product

BTW- I'd like to know where you heard this so we cansee how really bad it is. Where's your source for all this.....
Old 06-01-2006, 02:37 AM
qban_flyer

Question

You Know, I have no idea what that rant was about- you praise it one thread and the condem it another.

I thought this was a constructive thread, as many here all share their fun with the Stick. That's all it was ment for- FUN.

Please don't kill it with an Editorial of how you feel GWS should manufacture their kits, it doesn't fit here. Open another thread and feel free to propgandate all you want. I just can't understand how you can post soooooo many times raving about the Slow Stick, and then be so negative......

But then, I see politicians do that all the time too.

Besides, GWS regularly puts out information like this and their new kits, and take 3 years to product the actual product

BTW- I'd like to know where you heard this so we cansee how really bad it is. Where's your source for all this.....
It is available already.

BTW, I don't "propagandize" anything, get it? Last time I checked this was still a free country, where freedom of expression still reigns sovereign. There is no need to be sarcastic.

I'll get you the URL to the thread where the man posted about it, here in Watt Flyer earlier this afternoon so that you can see it for yourself.

Here it is:
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7237

Quick Reply: A Slow Stick post for the Slow Stick fans

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.16366 seconds with 14 queries