A Slow Stick post for the Slow Stick fans - Page 2 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

ParkFlyers Talk about all backyard and parkflyer aircraft here

A Slow Stick post for the Slow Stick fans

Old 04-17-2006, 07:08 PM
skiman762
FFFC

Originally Posted by bsoder View Post
i'm looking forward to seeing it. Mine flies really well, it's a lot of fun to roll it.
So the ailerons are big enough I take it
Old 04-17-2006, 07:20 PM
skiman762
FFFC

Originally Posted by firemanbill View Post
Hey Skiman sounds interesting. Could you post a pic of that? That sounds like something I'd like to try as well
/
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	SlowStick 016.jpg
Views:	389
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	10105   Click image for larger version

Name:	SlowStick 017.jpg
Views:	430
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	10106   Click image for larger version

Name:	SlowStick 018.jpg
Views:	391
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	10107   Click image for larger version

Name:	SlowStick 019.jpg
Views:	415
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	10108   Click image for larger version

Name:	SlowStick 020.jpg
Views:	476
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	10109  

Old 04-17-2006, 07:24 PM
qban_flyer

Exclamation

Originally Posted by Glo4U View Post
Love it here on the west coast of Florida. We live a LOT closer to the flying field. 15 min v/s 45. Keep an eye out for wingo kits for me. Getting ready to go to SEFF in 2 1/2 weeks. Surrounded by flying clubs. Getting 2 DX6's to take the fqcy pin worries away. Getting the shop in shape, about 1/2 the room I had in MD. drop me a line at......
I will.

PS: I'd suggest you remove your e-mail address from the post. Some that have trolled in from the other site might, just might use it for nefarious purposes. It happened to me several times when I was critical of the failures of one of their pet products over there. The trolls followed me here.

Old 04-17-2006, 07:26 PM
qban_flyer

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by skiman762 View Post
/
Some how those photos look nicer than the ones you sent me.

That 5 Star Slow Stick (5*S/S) is gonna be a killer! Should be able to do things only Slow Sticks dream about once in a long while. Hope you do a build thread about it.

Old 04-17-2006, 07:35 PM
skiman762
FFFC

I know I'm not sure why they look better on here
Yes she should fly nice hope the wing saddle is wide enough
but if not it can be made that way.
Old 04-17-2006, 07:37 PM
bsoder

So the ailerons are big enough I take it
Yep, they're plenty big. I don't know how much difference there will be with full tips like you have tho, since I cut my tips off and took some out of the middle as well. My wingspan is 31.5", as compared to the stock 45" or so.
Old 04-17-2006, 07:37 PM
skiman762
FFFC

I mixed flaperon/spoileron hoping for some nice High Alpha stuff to
Old 04-17-2006, 07:38 PM
skiman762
FFFC

Yep, they're plenty big. I don't know how much difference there will be with full tips like you have tho, since I cut my tips off and took some out of the middle as well. My wingspan is 31.5", as compared to the stock 45" or so.
yeah I'm sure my roll rate won't be as fast but neither are my eyes anymore...lol
Old 04-17-2006, 07:40 PM
skiman762
FFFC

I'm 40'' at the center of the chord
Old 04-17-2006, 07:47 PM
qban_flyer

Thumbs up

I know I'm not sure why they look better on here
Yes she should fly nice hope the wing saddle is wide enough
but if not it can be made that way.
YUP!

They look sharper, brighter and more vivid. I thought they were different ones. Looks very, very nice!

Old 04-17-2006, 08:03 PM
skiman762
FFFC

I should do a build thread after the flight eval
Old 04-17-2006, 08:10 PM
qban_flyer

Thumbs up

I should do a build thread after the flight eval
Great!

Old 04-17-2006, 08:35 PM
LOW-N-SLOW

Jumping back to the start of this thread - the motors linked to will not be very compatible with a SS. They want to turn a small prop (8") compared to what the SS really likes (11").

The same line is available with a lower KV wind: BM2410-09Y claiming 11x4.7 prop gets you up to 21.5 ozs. at less than 10 amps.
I don't think it really makes that much thrust in the real world, but with 3 cell lipo's it's a decent kick in the butt.

I used the 09Y's for my GWS Beaver (with snow skis) and for a project I named SloP38Stik. These are pics before I added the outrunners and a boom profiles (I just couldn't pass up a chance for "Look at mine! Look at mine!").

It was barely flyable with a pair of stock 350's but the little outrunners pull it around ok. All up its 26 ounces - more power would be wonderful, but I was trying to keep the cost down.
It has ailerons w/2 HS55's and lot's of control throw, but rolls are slow and eat up a lot of altitude.

Name:	p38prefly.jpg
Views:	465
Size:	22.5 KB
ID:	10110   Click image for larger version

Name:	p38taxi1.jpg
Views:	507
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	10111  
Old 04-17-2006, 09:18 PM
netdudeuk

Originally Posted by LOW-N-SLOW View Post
Jumping back to the start of this thread - the motors linked to will not be very compatible with a SS. They want to turn a small prop (8") compared to what the SS really likes (11").

The same line is available with a lower KV wind: BM2410-09Y claiming 11x4.7 prop gets you up to 21.5 ozs. at less than 10 amps.
I don't think it really makes that much thrust in the real world, but with 3 cell lipo's it's a decent kick in the butt.

I used the 09Y's for my GWS Beaver (with snow skis) and for a project I named SloP38Stik. These are pics before I added the outrunners and a boom profiles (I just couldn't pass up a chance for "Look at mine! Look at mine!").

It was barely flyable with a pair of stock 350's but the little outrunners pull it around ok. All up its 26 ounces - more power would be wonderful, but I was trying to keep the cost down.
It has ailerons w/2 HS55's and lot's of control throw, but rolls are slow and eat up a lot of altitude.
I don't see that motor over here. Will the one that I suggested not make any difference with an 8x4 compared with the 300 ? I think that the SS is pretty cool but it could be less 'slow' and this seemed to be a cheapish upgrade. I have a spare motor from my Edge 540T but the price of another motor and 30A/40A ESC is only a little more than the cost of the ESC on its own.

Why does the SS need an 11" prop ? This motor is more powerful even if it only swings an 8x4 ?

It seems that quite a few other people use the same motor that I have suggested.

Your model looks pretty cool. I'm sure that there are many other cool things that people can add to this thread. For example, other mods such as aerial photography, bomb bays, etc.

Last edited by netdudeuk; 04-17-2006 at 10:27 PM.
Old 04-17-2006, 09:25 PM
Doc Pete
Pete O'Connor

sharp looking

Yours looks neat, too. FYI, my thickness 1.5". I'm pretty sure yours will be a bit thicker. I think you're really gonna like the wing. My slows down very fast (Drag), which makes similar to the stock SS, in that you can still set it down in a small area, even though it lands just a "tad" faster.
In fact, my flies very much like a Stock SS, it just doesn't soar nearly as well.
Oh, being light and now a straight (no dyhedral) wing, it really gets bounced around in the wind, but also being light, you can bring right back on course.
I remember Don Lowe once said, light is still better. His reasoning was and I agree, "True, a lighter machine is more easily blown off course, but because it's lighter it also takes less energy (control input) to bring it back on course".
Tell me how you like the setup.
PS...... I mentioned even with the new wing, mine still had no tip stall characteristics, let me know if yours reacts the same.....
Old 04-17-2006, 09:31 PM
skiman762
FFFC

I'm at 1.75 thick looks like you have a tad more aileron but I think I'll be ok with my setup
It's a prototype but my prototypes either get recycled or find a spot in the hanger never do get around to building the secound one for some reason
Old 04-17-2006, 09:34 PM
Doc Pete
Pete O'Connor

I'm at 1.75 thick looks like you have a tad more aileron but I think I'll be ok with my setup
It's a prototype but my prototypes either get recycled or find a spot in the hanger never do get around to building the secound one for some reason

My brother is gonna cut another wing for me with a double taper, like a yak (etc.). I'm hoping is will cut down on the wiggling back and forth in the wind.
Old 04-17-2006, 09:37 PM
skiman762
FFFC

at speed maybe don't know about crusing
I have a 52'' yak and it can be a handfull at times
maybe a wing like you have but 1 inch think
after all 1.5 is pretty thick for a 18 oz plane
Old 04-17-2006, 09:41 PM
crxmanpat
Community Moderator

Brian,

I was so thinking about your speed stick when I read that comment about the wings! :p

Pat
Old 04-17-2006, 10:36 PM
Bill G
Super Contrubutor

I'm putting one together with 2 wings glued together with a spar and no dihedral and ailerons like a fatwing fun fly still haven't flown it yet it's actual done just making final adjustments and working on the batt mount came in AUW just over 20oz
When I first read the "2 wings" part, I thought you were making a Slow Stick biplane. Now there's an idea. Would be a trip.
Old 04-17-2006, 10:41 PM
LOW-N-SLOW

[quote=netdudeuk;63027]I don't see that motor over here. Will the one that I suggested not make any difference with an 8x4 compared with the 300 ? I think that the SS is pretty cool but it could be less 'slow' and this seemed to be a cheapish upgrade. I have a spare motor from my Edge 540T but the price of another motor and 30A/40A ESC is only a little more than the cost of the ESC on its own.

Why does the SS need an 11" prop ? This motor is more powerful even if it only swings an 8x4 ?

Big, fluffy slowflyers with undercambered wings prefer a large blade taking small bites of air (lower pitch) with a motor that produces best torque at lower RPM.
Sleek, slippery fast planes (like The Edge) develop best speed with small props on motors that spin at high RPM.
Think of it like a big wood rowboat compared to a kayak and the oars are like propellers...does that make sense?
Any inrunner motor can have it's torque maximized at lower RPM with gear reduction. Outrunners usually depend on number of windings to determine most efficient torque/rpm/amp characteristics.
Well, that's what I've been told anyway, and it's matched up to my experiences so far - but I'm sure there are other points of view on this.
BTW- I got my 09Y from www.aero-nuts.com
Old 04-17-2006, 10:43 PM
crxmanpat
Community Moderator

Originally Posted by Bill G View Post
When I first read the "2 wings" part, I thought you were making a Slow Stick biplane. Now there's an idea. Would be a trip.
I know it is somewhat sacrilege to speak the name of that "other" site, but if you look around over at RCGroups, there are quite a few threads about Slow Stick perversions, such as bipes, twins, amphibians, AP platforms, 8-motor , and so on. I'm sure there are plenty on RCU also.

Pat
Old 04-17-2006, 10:45 PM
crxmanpat
Community Moderator

Originally Posted by LOW-N-SLOW View Post
Big, fluffy slowflyers with undercambered wings prefer a large blade taking small bites of air (lower pitch) with a motor that produces best torque at lower RPM.
Sleek, slippery fast planes (like The Edge) develop best speed with small props on motors that spin at high RPM.
Think of it like a big wood rowboat compared to a kayak and the oars are like propellers...does that make sense?
Any inrunner motor can have it's torque maximized at lower RPM with gear reduction. Outrunners usually depend on number of windings to determine most efficient torque/rpm/amp characteristics.
Well, that's what I've been told anyway, and it's matched up to my experiences so far - but I'm sure there are other points of view on this.
BTW- I got my 09Y from www.aero-nuts.com
Hmmm. My SS just LOVES my 400XT bl swinging an APC 8x6E and 3S lipo!

Pat
Old 04-17-2006, 10:54 PM
crxmanpat
Community Moderator

Here's a couple of Bipe pics for ya!

Pat

Name:	SS Bipe 1.jpg
Views:	422
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	10116   Click image for larger version

Name:	SS Bipe 2.jpg
Views:	417
Size:	112.3 KB
ID:	10117  
Old 04-17-2006, 11:28 PM
bsoder

Originally Posted by crxmanpat View Post
Hmmm. My SS just LOVES my 400XT bl swinging an APC 8x6E and 3S lipo!

Pat
So you think that 8x6E is going to be the way to go? Did you try the 9x4.7SF?

Quick Reply: A Slow Stick post for the Slow Stick fans

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.16318 seconds with 20 queries