how long have you been flying RC. - Page 6 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

how long have you been flying RC.

Old 10-13-2005, 05:05 PM
rcers
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by 50+AirYears View Post
I fitted my All Star with a steerable tail wheel. As long as I advanced the throttle gently, I had almost no trouble in grass.
Mine met an unfortunate end after about 5 years. I was putting on a low level demo for our annual when our announcer called out "Don't Crash", so of course I immediately dumb thumbed, and the plane was reduced to toothpicks.
Yep it is like the "Hey look at this guys!" statement that always proceeds a crash. I used to fly mine from a narrow, paved, domed farm road. It was impossible for me to get in the air off the ground. I was a rookie then, I bet I could do it today!

Mike
Old 10-13-2005, 05:08 PM
rcers
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by qban_flyer View Post
The Kavalier was a great flying machine, almost Flacon "56" like. I had a New Era MKII that was a bit nicer than the original, though it was a handsfull still.

It's incredible the things we put up with in those days, but we stuck it out and are still flying.
I flew the crud out of my Kavalier. I almost wore it out. I meet it's demise while flying in a grass field with one small shrub in it. Would you like to guess what happened?

It was fixable, but I had grown tired of it. The Sig Kougar replaced it - now we are talking about a fun plane. Still sold today! One of the all-time (if not the all time) best flying planes ever......

Mike
Old 10-13-2005, 05:15 PM
DickCorby

I would think he is still in business.

The planes are a short kit, with all the major pieces provided laser cut and very well done. The kit was an easy build, and flies great, for nearly 2 years now.

[email protected]
Old 10-13-2005, 05:26 PM
qban_flyer

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by rcers View Post
I flew the crud out of my Kavalier. I almost wore it out. I meet it's demise while flying in a grass field with one small shrub in it. Would you like to guess what happened?

It was fixable, but I had grown tired of it. The Sig Kougar replaced it - now we are talking about a fun plane. Still sold today! One of the all-time (if not the all time) best flying planes ever......

Mike
Kougar, a great flying model too. It's a shame Andrews is not around anymore. I loved the Ray line of his models. I had them all, though the X-Ray and the H-Ray were my favorites. The Aeromaster was a masterpiece, too bad its "new" version is smaller than the original.

Another one from that era was the Bushwhacker, a low wing U-2 like tail dragger. Had that thing been around today it would be referred to as a "Hotliner". What a thrill it was to get that thing climbing up at full bore, then put it on a dive for a "high speed" low pass @ better than 100 MPH! It was a good looking, good flying machine.

I saw a couple of them snap their wing in half during stunts of that type. Mine never did, though my first Falcon "56" wing snapped in half on its 14th consecutive loop. Guess it was not designed to be stressed that much!

Old 10-13-2005, 05:33 PM
rcers
Super Contributor

I have a Kougar on the bench. It is nearly complete, and I will electrocute it. I think! It is glassed and ready to paint in fact. Would not take too much work to get it in the air, just a lot of $$$ for LiPoly setup.

Maybe an outrunner with a 11x10 or 10x10 prop? Hmmmmmmm

Mike
Old 10-13-2005, 05:42 PM
qban_flyer

Thumbs up

I have a Kougar on the bench. It is nearly complete, and I will electrocute it. I think! It is glassed and ready to paint in fact. Would not take too much work to get it in the air, just a lot of $$$ for LiPoly setup.

Maybe an outrunner with a 11x10 or 10x10 prop? Hmmmmmmm

Mike
Sounds like a winner combination to me. Li-Pos for your Kougar, it's only money, we can't take it with us, can we?

Heck! I just may get my original Kadet out of the "kit closet" and begin to lighten its "parts" in preparation for Winter assembly and a definite "electrocution" next Spring.

It'd be nice to "shock" the rest of the E-flight club with an "electrified" original oldie.

What a hobby.

Signing off for now!

Old 10-13-2005, 06:04 PM
DickCorby

Back in Patuxent River in the late 60's, we had more Falcon 56 Wings floating around than you can imagine. If you crashed, you could just ask and somebody had a replacement wing available. Rubber bands saved the wings at least. And we did have a lot of crashes to say the least. Reeds and escapements did tend to be a bit more cranky than our computer radios of today.

The cost of a Falcon 56 was $7.95 at the base hobby shop, and they kept at least 10 in stock. They were the mainstay of our group back then.

One of our more affluent flyers went up to a Senior Falcon, I think that was really too expensive for most of us. $19.95 if I remember right.
Old 10-13-2005, 06:13 PM
Unbalanced prop
Watt, No fuel?

I have a Falcon 56 Mark II I built two years ago for electric. Has a Plettenberg Orbit motor and flys with 3S2P packs. Great flyer!!

Doug
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Falcon56.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	2584  
Old 10-13-2005, 08:40 PM
Bob_CO

Since 1978. I started on a Sr. Falcon witha Fox .60 in it. We took the dihedral down to 1/2. It was a good plane until the garage door closed on it many years later.
Old 10-13-2005, 08:51 PM
hoppy
Watts up Doc?

55 years, off and on for shorter or longer periods. The commercialization of electric powered planes made me hop back in with a vengence. The hop out of the car at the school yard, fly 15 min, back in the car and away makes flying as easy as getting the car filled with gas.
Old 10-13-2005, 09:36 PM
qban_flyer

Red face Ouch!!!

Originally Posted by DickCorby View Post
Back in Patuxent River in the late 60's, we had more Falcon 56 Wings floating around than you can imagine. If you crashed, you could just ask and somebody had a replacement wing available. Rubber bands saved the wings at least. And we did have a lot of crashes to say the least. Reeds and escapements did tend to be a bit more cranky than our computer radios of today.

The cost of a Falcon 56 was $7.95 at the base hobby shop, and they kept at least 10 in stock. They were the mainstay of our group back then.

One of our more affluent flyers went up to a Senior Falcon, I think that was really too expensive for most of us. $19.95 if I remember right.
HE, HE, HE!

I'll let you in on an embarrasing secret. I went through nine of those "56"s before I could manage to keep the tenth one in one piece for over two weeks. I had no assistance from anyone in my learning curve with multi channel radios, and when the "56" was coming toward me I got so confused that I would give right when in reality what it needed was left. Thank God the trusty OS .19 I was using with them was built like the proverbial brick S--T House. I switched to an OS .35 once I became "proficient" (read non lethal) at flying the "56".

My single channel transmitters had one push button for control purposes, and an On-Off switch for power. One push gave me full right, and two gave me full left so I was rather comfortable with the push, push-push system when I suddenly found myself with two sticks and four functions to contend with while the "56" was still airborne. I knew what command to give, but no longer did I have the "push button"! It's probably the reason I went to Kraft and OS single stick radios. It gave me control of the three most important functions, aileron, elevator and rudder from the same stick.

I re-learned to control an approaching R/C model by turning myself around 180 degrees with my back facing the oncoming "56" and swinging my head around to look back over my shoulder so that when it needed to go right that's what I would give and the plane follow suit. Only then I managed land the thing without crashing it. After a few weeks I got the hang of reversed roll and yaw when the plane was coming toward me and the crashes diminished to a more reasonable rate. All in all it took me ten Falcon "56"s, one Lanier Cessna and a Dubro Aero Commander before I was no longer the terror of the skies.

I got so good at building Falcon "56"s, that I would get home with a kit at 6 p.m., throw it together, MonoKote and all (nothing fancy) and be at the field next morning @ 8:30 (feeling like a zombie) ready to destroy another one.

The one that lost the wing in flight was due to my failure to fiberglass the center joint of the wing. I had used what Goldberg furnished with the kits all along, a one inch wide piece of cloth that I soaked in Titebond before applying it to the joint. The day I "discovered" two inch wide fiberglass cloth and Hobby-Poxy, marked the end of my in flight "wing snapping" days. John Connors saved (God only knows how many) the day(s) by introducing me to fiberglass and Hobby-Poxy. Thank you John, may you be happily flying R/C up there, wherever "up there" might be at.

This has been a great hobby, one that has taken control of my life for the most part and has kept me out of trouble. I could have made money at it as I was offered a post flying UAVs for the US Armed Forces (drones in the '70s), but I thought that if I did that the fun would go out of R/C as a hobby so I declined.

We all should thank Chris for starting this thread. It is rather enjoyable to be able to share with others our "experiences" while R/Cing. Hope the rest of us feel the same way.

Thanks Chris from Paulding County in Georgia for having the foresight of beginning this here thread. You have no idea as to how much fun we've been having.

Old 10-13-2005, 09:38 PM
qban_flyer

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Unbalanced prop View Post
I have a Falcon 56 Mark II I built two years ago for electric. Has a Plettenberg Orbit motor and flys with 3S2P packs. Great flyer!!

Doug
Good looking bird Doug, and covered in my three favorite colors, RED, WHITE AND BLUE. Did you perform any weight reducing mods to the airframe before building and covering it? I know the airframe has plenty of openings within it, but some of us go a bit further in trying to make them even lighter.

Old 10-13-2005, 09:58 PM
rcers
Super Contributor

I re-learned to control an approaching R/C model by turning myself around 180 degrees with my back facing the oncoming "56" and swinging my head around to look back over my shoulder so that when it needed to go right that's what I would give and the plane follow suit.
I remember doing that! It got me past the hump! Then I learned push the stick to the wing that is down. That is deep within my mental process somewhere.

Mike
Old 10-13-2005, 10:14 PM
Unbalanced prop
Watt, No fuel?

Did you perform any weight reducing mods to the airframe before building and covering it? I know the airframe has plenty of openings within it, but some of us go a bit further in trying to make them even lighter.
Thanks qban..........Built it stock and covered it with ultracote.. The AUW is 63 ozs. The Pletty swings a 12 x 8 prop at 7700 rpms and pulls it around quite well.

Doug
Old 10-13-2005, 10:19 PM
qban_flyer

Thumbs up

I remember doing that! It got me past the hump! Then I learned push the stick to the wing that is down. That is deep within my mental process somewhere.

Mike
YUP! I learned "that" long after I had "mastered" the "how to" control an incoming model. It is the advice I give all the newcomers I have been instructing.

One of my proudest moments was when I "soloed" a youngster of 72 at Freestate Aeromodelers back in '03. Everyone had given up on him, but he and I stuck together every day until he was able to fly his Kadet LT-40. He "soloed" but sadly passed away February of this year, but at least he enjoyed himself immensely once he didn't have to depend on others to have fun at the field. He became rather proficient at flying that LT-40 before passing on.

We also have a youngster of 84 at C.A.S.A. who will celebrate his 50th R/C flight anniversary next year. He is still going on strong and having as much fun today as he did back in the mid '50s.

Last edited by qban_flyer; 10-13-2005 at 11:17 PM.

Old 10-13-2005, 10:27 PM
qban_flyer

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Unbalanced prop View Post
Thanks qban..........Built it stock and covered it with ultracote.. The AUW is 63 ozs. The Pletty swings a 12 x 8 prop at 7700 rpms and pulls it around quite well.

Doug
Pretty good, pretty good. I hope I can achieve similar results with my yet to be built and "electrocuted" original SIG Kadet from the '70s and that will be my Winter project.

I have a Goldberg Eaglet 50 that I built as an electric. It's covered in RED, White & Blue, and uses a direct drive Robbe motor swinging a 10X6 propeller pulling just under 27 amps. Those Robbe motors are something else. Power on my Eaglet 50 is a bit on the marginal side for anything other than normal flight, but an outrunner and Li-Pos will take care of that next year.

Old 10-13-2005, 10:45 PM
Unbalanced prop
Watt, No fuel?

Pretty good, pretty good. I hope I can achieve similar results with my yet to be built and "electrocuted" original SIG Kadet from the '70s and that will be my Winter project.
I allready started my winter project...........a Sig Four Star. I am making it much lighter then stock. I cut all new fuselage parts out of balsa instead of the lite ply they use. I weighed each fuselage side and saved 2 ozs on each. Might use the same power as the Falcon, haven't decide yet. Got all winter!

Doug
Old 10-13-2005, 11:07 PM
jonnyjetprop

Somebody say Sig Kougar

John
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Kougar01.JPG
Size:	23.7 KB
ID:	2588   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kougar02.JPG
Views:	144
Size:	27.7 KB
ID:	2589   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kougar05.JPG
Size:	20.2 KB
ID:	2590  
Old 10-13-2005, 11:12 PM
jonnyjetprop

I started flying RC at age 14. I flew slope gliders in Southern California. Really got going when I got my drivers license. Started flying electrics when I was a senior in high school. Anyone remember 05 can motors and high proformance 1200 mah sub c nicads.

John
Old 10-13-2005, 11:24 PM
qban_flyer

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by jonnyjetprop View Post
Somebody say Sig Kougar

John
Sig Kougar, Sig Kougar, Sig Kougar!

Lovely looking thing you have there.
There is one of them hanging from a LHS ceiling. It's white with red and black trim, and the "For Sale" price assembled is $50 OBO.

It's been there for nine months, I think I may have a chat with its owner after I take a closer look at it to go for an OBO he won't be able to refuse.

Should be an easy "electrocute" project.

Old 10-14-2005, 12:19 AM
DickCorby

I tracked down my winter project the other day after losing my Fall project 3 minutes into the maiden flight. They are a rare bird, and I lucked out and found one from one of the guys in the area. He didn't have to ask twice, I burned the freeway to get it.

Last edited by DickCorby; 11-16-2005 at 07:08 AM.
Old 10-14-2005, 02:41 AM
Hotshot Charlie

Which model is that Yak? Nice !
Old 10-14-2005, 03:47 AM
qban_flyer

Red face

Originally Posted by jonnyjetprop View Post
I started flying RC at age 14. I flew slope gliders in Southern California. Really got going when I got my drivers license. Started flying electrics when I was a senior in high school. Anyone remember 05 can motors and high proformance 1200 mah sub c nicads.

John
I still have my Astros 05 FAI and 15 FAI in addition to several Sanyo 7 and 10 cell SCRC-1700 packs. Painfully expensive stuff in those days!

Old 10-14-2005, 03:55 AM
qban_flyer

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by DickCorby View Post
I tracked down my winter project the other day after losing my Fall project 3 minutes into the maiden flight. They are a rare bird, and I lucked out and found one from one of the guys in the area. He didn't have to ask twice, I burned the freeway to get it.
OUCH! I bet that loss hurt badly!

Just found mine!

I got a reply from Jim Zare regarding his Jr. Falcon (38" W/S) laser cut short kit for direct drive Speed 400 types. Prices are incredibly nice, especially when compared to what others charge for the stuff they peddle. I wonder how they'll do with the new smaller B/L outrunners?

He also has several other short kits, and will send a list of (with prices) including Goldber's Jr. Skylark (38" W/S) to anyone interested.

His e-mail address for anyone interested in this type of flying machines follows: [email protected]

Old 10-14-2005, 04:29 AM
Unbalanced prop
Watt, No fuel?

I got an answer from Jim also. As qban said looks like great prices. Not sure what all is included in the jr Falcon kit, but I think I am going to find out.

Doug

Quick Reply: how long have you been flying RC.

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.15437 seconds with 15 queries