how long have you been flying RC. - Page 4 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

how long have you been flying RC.

Old 09-02-2005, 05:08 PM
EpoweredRc
3D Flyer

Keep them coming.I know we have 3,000 members but only 75 replies.
Old 09-03-2005, 02:46 AM
Fly-n-3D

Originally Posted by Foamiesrfun
Witch one are you building?

Well I decided not to build the 3D Foamy Edge. I have built a full fuse 3D batix Extra 330 out of bluecor. I will fly it saturday or sanday.
Old 09-03-2005, 03:05 AM
Slent thndr

Hey guys, I've been flying for just over a year now, and two planes: a modified and soon to be brushless Formosa, and a modified and soon to be brushless Combat Wing XE2. I learned to fly with the Combat Wing along with the FMS simulator software. The Formosa is part of a recent park flyer craze I've been in.

I just passed through into the LiPo revolution with my Formosa, and I'm currently preparing to enter my next major milestone of RC by going brushless on both of my planes. This is an expensive hobby, but well worth it.

After that my next project is probably going to be a 20" Pocket Combat Wing.
Old 09-03-2005, 03:11 AM
nova801428

crashing for 5 years 2000 and beyond
Old 09-03-2005, 03:24 AM
DickCorby

Default Long time

Since 1942 actually. Rubber band models, gliders, etc.

In 1945 went to control line and free flight. then got interupted by growing up, getting a job, then joining the Navy - followed by getting married, having 5 kids, learning enough to advance, and finally after making CPO in 1968, discovered RC.

Single channel, One click right, two clicks left.

Since then been in RC and still going strong. May actually get to flying IMAC next season if the RC gods and the thumbs hold up.
Old 09-03-2005, 03:34 AM
D-turtle

Hi guys, I started flying in 1973. I still have My old Sanwa radios, they probably need batteries by now!! We flew two channel .049 Q-tee (cox models) as combat and pylon racers. They were cheap and fun! I am just getting back into it after a twenty year lay off, ( the children finally left home)I'm learning the new electric language and have several older models that are crying to be converted. I love this medium that is available as I have learned so much just reading the forums. Darrell Johnston
Old 09-03-2005, 08:32 AM
berryulson

1-1/2 years. I tried with a Cox .049 when I was 17 but had no instruction and stalled and crashed. Last year (at 44 years) I bought a Hobbyzone Commander at a computer store and I've been hopelessly hooked ever since. I'm currently reading the Stoops book and flying a brushless Formosa and building a Stevensaero Cap .40E and a 50 inch scratchbuilt. All electric so far but I love the sound of 4-strokes and really would like to fly with other pilots.
Old 09-03-2005, 01:56 PM
jaycab

Thumbs up

Summer of 1969 @ the age of 12,had good grades in school,my parents got me my first model airplane.(a box full of balsa wood) with a tube of
Testor glue. Mcoy.15 engine,no muffler.World Engines R/C.unit. The model
flew very well, I was lucky to find a good intructor at the local field,this person took the time to teach me to fly R/C. Btw he flew a Bridi Kaos then. The following summer, I was flying his Kaos and doing basic aerobatics, I've been active in RC sinse then.
To Mr.Bob Allen... thank you so much... where ever you are...

jaycab
Old 09-03-2005, 02:27 PM
dogz
R2-D2 ROCKS

I've been flying since 1999 or 2000. Still not very good at it but it sure is fun! Started w/ a gas heli kept crashing went to gas cub crashed but got better then got into a flying wing(a Razor) then into slope soaring and now into electrics.been flying a potensky eagle for about a year and am now building my first 3D plane a 3DFoamy edge 540 I like to just fly slow and put around and starting to get into aerobatics still crashing though, its just part of it
Old 09-03-2005, 10:58 PM
flypaper 2
Super Contributor

Went through the free flight, controline, then into RC in the early 60s, Homade Controlair rcvr kits and such. Reeds then propo PCS. Couldn't pass up that blond in the adds Got tired of being kicked out of places so six of us bought a 35 acre hunk of land, built our own clubhouse, grass runway etc. been flying there ever since. Something struck me as funny, things change so much in this hobby that you can never get tired of it.:p 69 now and enjoy it as much now as I did then.
Old 09-04-2005, 04:48 AM
stan mccarver

I will admit to being sixty one. started with control line and moved to competition racing events. found an older gentleman who flew peanut scale and learned about having a good time and relaxing at the same time. aarcon, you have my admiration.
Old 09-04-2005, 04:50 AM
stan mccarver

forgot to mention when I started flying 1955
Old 09-04-2005, 05:09 AM
stan mccarver

it is always a plus to remember all those who helped you.
Old 09-04-2005, 06:15 AM
DickCorby

I agree. The guy that got me started and put in a lot of time and effort was named Dave Wilson. Haven't seen or heard from him since we were stationed in Point Mugu in the early 70's.

I have forgotten the names of all the people that have helped me along in the hobby, and in the process became close friends.
Old 09-04-2005, 06:48 AM
jbart

Originally Posted by D-turtle
Hi guys, I started flying in 1973. I still have My old Sanwa radios, they probably need batteries by now!! We flew two channel .049 Q-tee (cox models) as combat and pylon racers. They were cheap and fun! I am just getting back into it after a twenty year lay off, ( the children finally left home)I'm learning the new electric language and have several older models that are crying to be converted. I love this medium that is available as I have learned so much just reading the forums. Darrell Johnston
Hi D-Turtle,
I'm 58 and I started in model airplanes in 1957, I was ten then, doing U/C, FF, Rubber...
Some gaps in between and started RC around the 70ís .
More gaps, time expended in trivial things like completing a career, starting a family, etc.
From the 75 and till the 83, full dedication (every weekend)
Then a long separation and return to the Hobby about two years ago, doing just electrics.
I have always love ďParasolsĒ My first trainer was one of them, my favorite is the Q-Tee, since I built the first, from an Airtronics kit, a Black Widow in the front and with that marvelous two channel, two sticks Cox/Sanwa radio, I always took it with me to the flying session, in addition to any model I was planning to fly...and look what I was flying this morning...this time she has a GWS EPS-350C/BB in the front , a GWS R4PII receiver and instead of the integral tank, a 7.4 volt 1500 mAh Lipo!!! This one has totaled about 5 hours of operation and a couple of not to serious crashes, my fault... it flies beautiful.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qtee-all.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	1220  
Old 09-04-2005, 06:55 PM
D-turtle

Hi Jbart,
It is nice to see that the older way of flying is still alive, an airplane should fly like an airplane. I like the slower pace of the earlier days and the Q-Tee was a big part of that. I f you can imagine 6 to 7 of these all flying close to each other around the pylons at 20 mph, OOOhhhhh the pace was staggering. he he he.
Unfortunately My Q-Tee was retired after over 100 nitro sorties, needless to say for reasons of structural failure do to fuel contamination. Just an example why electrons will rule( the mess is less).
I was wondering if you would know of a source for plans or kits of the Q-Tee??
I'll be 52 on the 19th ( which is international talk like a Pirate Day AAAARRRRRRHH )
Thank for the come back Jbart, D-turtle
Old 09-04-2005, 08:10 PM
stan mccarver

Living in vista Ca., A very close neighbor to San Marcos Ca. I was able to rub elbows with the likes of Mark Smith, Russ Barrera, and the Williams brothers who all had buisnesses or homes in the area and belonged to the same club I did. John Pond ran his plan buisness out of Russ's hobby shop back in the early 70's. What a treasure trove of information those people offered to anyone in the hobby.
Old 09-05-2005, 01:23 AM
40bigstik

I've been flying for the better part of 4 years and love the biguns all though I am looking at getting a foamie to fly around the park or the yard. I live in north augusta south carolina and have a great club which has events every 2 months so I never get bored. http://www.flytrca.rcsites.net/
Old 09-05-2005, 03:50 AM
stan mccarver

Friend of Bill W? some of us are. He stopped with booze but model airplanes and drugs werenot the problem they are now. if they open the doors to aeroholics I will have to join.
Old 09-05-2005, 07:53 AM
jbart

Originally Posted by D-turtle
Hi Jbart,
It is nice to see that the older way of flying is still alive, an airplane should fly like an airplane. I like the slower pace of the earlier days and the Q-Tee was a big part of that. I f you can imagine 6 to 7 of these all flying close to each other around the pylons at 20 mph, OOOhhhhh the pace was staggering. he he he.
Unfortunately My Q-Tee was retired after over 100 nitro sorties, needless to say for reasons of structural failure do to fuel contamination. Just an example why electrons will rule( the mess is less).
I was wondering if you would know of a source for plans or kits of the Q-Tee??
I'll be 52 on the 19th ( which is international talk like a Pirate Day AAAARRRRRRHH )
Thank for the come back Jbart, D-turtle
Hello D-Turtle
Wow, glorious nostalgic images, like the ones I have from those years, flying the Q-tee against the sunset, she was the one closing the flying session almost every weekend and she wasnít alone cause I poisoned with her to many friends....I donít think you need this advice, but, no matter which planes you plan to build, keep a Q-tee with you, all the time.
Unfortunately, as far as I know, no body is kiting this beauty, but RCM Magazine has the plan for it, Lee Renaud Q-Tee, plan pl-625 and the cost is $7.00 + $6.00 for S&H and they include a copy of the construction article, as with every plans publishers, it may take about 3 to 6 weeks for delivery...
I went that way and I kitted three of them, mine, one for a friend of mine (He never pick it up) and a spare (thatís the way I love it) itís exactly like the plan, spruce spars and LE. Except for the minimal modifications to suit an electric system, I decided to use a vacuum formed motor cowl.
If you donít want to wait those long weeks to get the plan, I can go Kinkoís and get a copy for you but it will result a little more expensive (they charge something like $3.00 per sq ft = $18.00) and my copy of the construction article is lost, long time ago, Iím sure you wonít need it.
The way you decide to get the plan, I will submit you with the copy of the sketches with the mods I made for electrocute this baby, it worked perfect...
About learning the electric language, itís a Babel, but you will get it, my advice, stay with the Ohm law, get used to watts instead of hpís and when dealing for motors and electronics demand information you can digest (every god dealer has it) instead of the gibberish of the labels...
More to come, jbart
Old 10-12-2005, 04:16 PM
Micro Rotors
3D Toy Designer

Lets just say I remember soldering up my first radio "Kit" It was in 1972 and I was doing U-Control and free flight 3 years before that. was 10 then and now I am 44.

Wow, Thanks for making feel old. :o

Bill
Old 10-12-2005, 04:58 PM
delcoed

I've been flying RC since 1988.
Been flying models since 1953 (AJ Hornets, and a TD-1 were my first planes.)
Old 10-12-2005, 05:06 PM
DickCorby

Ah yes, Heathkit put Proportional control in the hands of those without megabucks. Built two of them, and flew Pattern contests with them.
Old 10-12-2005, 05:25 PM
Tore Loodin

Default I am an oldtimer

Originally Posted by Foamiesrfun View Post
Okay thought this would be a good post.

How long have you been flying and what year did you start.If you would rather not tell the year as some might figure out your age thats ok just post how many years.Also what kinda flying you start with.

I have been flying for 16 years,I started flying in 1989 when I was 9 years old.
Flew glow and electric gliders off and on to start with. We quit flying for about 3 years and just got back into June 2004.
Taught myself how to 3D in 4 months ,now I cant get enough
I have been flying Rc for 55 years began with a onechannel radio with a sort of "gyro"servo. A single button at the transmitter. No signal full left rudder. signal full right rudder. Pushing the button in a even rate gave neutral rudder. Thus you actually had a sort of proportional rudder. Pulsing at a little lower rate you curvd to the left. A little more ršte, you curved to the right. Alittle later I bought a 12 channel Kraft system about 1960 I think. That was a "bang-bang" system If turning one of the 12 switches un one direction you got full deflection at one direction. If switched at the other side it gave full deflection at the opposite direction. When flying aerobatic the fingers moved as larks wings! Ah, those were the times!
Later on I bought my first analog proportional system, a Quadruplex, which was as expensive as an good used car! It had a joystick acting on elevator and ailerons. To move the rudder you had to twist th nog of the stick. Engine conrol servo was moved forvard and back with tvo small knobs on top of the transmitter. It was working as a pulse omission detector of the redder wich twisted violently when moving the knobs. I have this servo still by me as a very exoting thing. The reciever was as large as a half brick. Then I flew with a Gallophing one channel system working very well.
Then the times were Šchanging! We got the very reliable moden proportional simultaneous analogue sets which totally changed the RC-world.
I am still flying 80 years old. Nowadays with electric nodels. Thus I avoid to
have nitro in myself and the fuel.
Tore in Sweden
Old 10-12-2005, 05:47 PM
Micro Rotors
3D Toy Designer

Originally Posted by DickCorby View Post
Ah yes, Heathkit put Proportional control in the hands of those without megabucks. Built two of them, and flew Pattern contests with them.
If you could solder up one of those kits as a kid,,,, you could build any plane there was. I found that the plane took 2 weeks to build but the radio took a month of after school homework time.

Oh yeah, I also remember there was NO ONE I knew who flew RC not even the hobby shop owner, so I went through 4 - 5 planes before I figured it out. It was almost a year later that I did finally land the plane right side up in fewer pieces than it came with as a kit.

Bill

Quick Reply: how long have you been flying RC.

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.14654 seconds with 12 queries