Giant Rc Foamie Biplane Scratch Build - Page 7 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft Discuss and share your scratch built or kit built aircraft as well as building techniques, methods, mediums and resources.

Giant Rc Foamie Biplane Scratch Build

Old 01-21-2009, 04:25 AM
benovisoff
aint crashin aint flyin

nice car! I'm getting my own 3D bipe this weekend....
Old 01-21-2009, 05:05 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Larry3215 View Post
Kids!!

Sure would be nice if they took their problems with them when they moved out!

Guess you gotta love 'em though. At least when they bring you cute little grand daughters instead of broken cars
Your Right Larry I help out my Kids only because, I want to make sure that they can get their Butts to work to support my Grandkids And I am Not Kidding Take care, Chellie
Old 01-21-2009, 05:07 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by benovisoff View Post
nice car! I'm getting my own 3D bipe this weekend....
KEWL Practice on a simulator, and make it a little nose heavy to start with, its easier to fly being a little nose heavy, why, because the nose will drop down before it stalls to regain speed, no speed = no control
Old 01-21-2009, 05:16 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by starcad View Post
Chelli, what is the weight of that wing now that it is complete? I still think your over building but I may be wrong. 1/16" ply seems like a little over kill. I don't think your going to have to worry much about power as my Pole Cat comes in at just over 5 lbs and flies like it was on rails with a 4s and a Trinigy C4250-700. Love that plane and love that motor.
The wing is at 19.7 oz its a big wing too, its 80" X 13 3/4" X 9mm , i could have gone 4"wide on the ply Rather than 6", i did not think of it at the time its still seems very lite for its size, its taller than me How do you figure wing load, what the formula for that I can get the SQ inches
Old 01-21-2009, 05:21 AM
benovisoff
aint crashin aint flyin

Originally Posted by CHELLIE View Post
Your Right Larry I help out my Kids only because, I want to make sure that they can get their Butts to work to support my Grandkids And I am Not Kidding Take care, Chellie
Hey! watch that kid stuff! I'm 14
anyway... no sim for me at all.
learn by doing. lol
this'll be my first bipe
Old 01-21-2009, 05:27 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

I think its some sort of cosmic law. You HAVE to over build your first 7 or maybe its 18 big birds Obviously, Im not done yet!
LOL I am trying to make this bi Plane strong enough to do a snap rolls, but not to strong or heavy its hard to balance the strengh and weight part of it, thats the hardest thing to do for me, as this is my first big bird I dont think I will have to worry about HAND LAUNCHING it LOL
Old 01-21-2009, 05:32 AM
xuzme720
c'mere Monkey

Location: Just North of Houston.Heard of Dayton? I didn't think so...

The wing is at 19.7 oz its a big wing too, its 80" X 13 3/4" X 9mm , i could have gone 4"wide on the ply Rather than 6", i did not think of it at the time its still seems very lite for its size, its taller than me How do you figure wing load, what the formula for that I can get the SQ inches
Just divide the total wing area into the AUW to get your wing loading...

as an ex. 100 square inches of wing divided into 200 grams of plane= 2 grams per square inch inch wing loading...
Old 01-21-2009, 05:39 AM
Larry3215
Look out for that tree!!!

Most of the time - in the US at least - wing loading is done in ounces per square foot rather than grams per inch. Take thw total weight in ounces and devide by the wing area in square feet.

It makes it easier to compare different models if you use the same units

If your on the metric system, they generally use grams per sq decimeter. A decimeter (sp?) being a 10 cm square.
Old 01-21-2009, 05:40 AM
larryross
certified FFF addict

You mean I have that many to go before I quit overbuilding? Well at least I'm not the only one.

I opened my mouth and this is what I did all day today. A bunch of chuck gliders for the church kids.

I think its some sort of cosmic law. You HAVE to over build your first 7 or maybe its 18 big birds Obviously, Im not done yet!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Project 001.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	406.9 KB
ID:	91215   Click image for larger version

Name:	Project 002.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	392.3 KB
ID:	91216  
Old 01-21-2009, 05:53 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by stevecooper View Post
ChellieBub:: You turn a Wrench's!! Stop flirt'in with meBub steve
Hi Steve thats a cute little car, I had a MG, and a TR6 those were fun, Myself and a friend, we overhauled the TR6 engine, when we took it apart, and we were looking for the cam shaft Bearings Those engines dont have Cam shaft bearings its metal to metal it works i guess I am a Mechanic / Tech, I work on Automated Robotic Side Loaders, I am the only Female Mechanic working for the City of Pasadena I work along side 20 Male Mechanics, and I am just as good as they are People dont belive me when i tell them what i Do for a living, Its Hard on my Finger Nails Though I am rewiring a robotic arm right now, its been patched so many times, that it has a few wires with 5 butt connectors to 3 feet of wire Its a job , Chellie

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...%3Den%26sa%3DG

http://www.heil.com/products/rrail.asp

http://thekneeslider.com/archives/20...endar-project/

Last edited by CHELLIE; 01-22-2009 at 07:18 AM.
Old 01-21-2009, 05:54 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by larryross View Post
You mean I have that many to go before I quit overbuilding? Well at least I'm not the only one.

I opened my mouth and this is what I did all day today. A bunch of chuck gliders for the church kids.
Thats sweet of you Larry
Old 01-21-2009, 05:57 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Most of the time - in the US at least - wing loading is done in ounces per square foot rather than grams per inch. Take thw total weight in ounces and devide by the wing area in square feet.

It makes it easier to compare different models if you use the same units

If your on the metric system, they generally use grams per sq decimeter. A decimeter (sp?) being a 10 cm square.
I still have not gotten used to the metric system and i have to use it almost every day
Old 01-21-2009, 06:01 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by xuzme720 View Post
Just divide the total wing area into the AUW to get your wing loading...

as an ex. 100 square inches of wing divided into 200 grams of plane= 2 grams per square inch inch wing loading...
Thank you Guys for the Info, i think I am going to have a very lite wing load, I can see 80oz before to long, the 2 wings are almost 40oz right now, but they are big I wont be hand Launching this Plane I bought some lite foam wheels for it, they are 4" tall, i think that should work ok, that was the largest wheel that Hobby King had
Old 01-21-2009, 06:11 AM
larryross
certified FFF addict

Thats sweet of you Larry
My grand kids and great grand kids aren't around to spoil so... I'll spoil someone else's.
Old 01-21-2009, 07:00 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

ok would this be right 80" X 13.7" wing = 1100sq inches x 2 wings =2200 sq inches, Divided by (144 sq inches /1 sq ft ) = 15.27sq feet, divided by 80 oz air frame =5.23 oz per sq foot load is that right ? the plane is going to weigh more than 80oz with electronics & Power System, i was just trying to get the formula right Take care, Chellie

Last edited by CHELLIE; 01-21-2009 at 07:42 AM.
Old 01-21-2009, 07:13 AM
Larry3215

You confused me there for a second with the way you worded it, but you have the correct answer

Is that 80 oz just the wings or is that what you're expecting for the all up weight? Id guess the fuse will probably weigh as much as the 2 wings or maybe even more by the time you get landing gear and motor mounts etc on it. Then add the power system. Your probably going to be closer to 100-120 ounces at a wild guess

My BUFY had about the same span as your bipe but it only had one wing. It weighed 80 oz. The Ugly part wasnt all that heavy

Even if you end up at 120 ounces thats still under 8 ounces per sq ft which is very lite. A typical glow trainer is expected to be in the 10 to 15 oz/ft range.

Your cubic foot loading will be 2.0. BUFY had a cubic loading of 3.3, so this thing will be a very easy flyer.

Your gonna love it
Old 01-21-2009, 07:41 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

You confused me there for a second with the way you worded it, but you have the correct answer

Is that 80 oz just the wings or is that what you're expecting for the all up weight? Id guess the fuse will probably weigh as much as the 2 wings or maybe even more by the time you get landing gear and motor mounts etc on it. Then add the power system. Your probably going to be closer to 100-120 ounces at a wild guess

My BUFY had about the same span as your bipe but it only had one wing. It weighed 80 oz. The Ugly part wasnt all that heavy

Even if you end up at 120 ounces thats still under 8 ounces per sq ft which is very lite. A typical glow trainer is expected to be in the 10 to 15 oz/ft range.

Your cubic foot loading will be 2.0. BUFY had a cubic loading of 3.3, so this thing will be a very easy flyer.

Your gonna love it
Thank you Larry the 80oz is just the plane with no electronics or power system , just the airframe, I was just trying to use the formula to get a sq ft to oz figure, i think it will be about 3.3 cubic loading with all the power system & electronics installed, Take care, Chellie
Old 01-21-2009, 04:53 PM
xuzme720
c'mere Monkey

Location: Just North of Houston.Heard of Dayton? I didn't think so...

Cubic? When did we go to volume??
Old 01-21-2009, 07:52 PM
Larry3215

Cubic wing loading has been around for a long time but not many people understand it or use it unfortunately.

I like it a lot. It is basically normal wing loading with an adjustment for the over all size of the model. Thats where the 'cubic' part comes in.

Larger models appear to be flying slower even when they are not. The larger size tricks the eye into thinking the speed is less than it is. Watch a 747 come in for a landing and it looks to be floating in nice and slow when its actually doing close to 200 mph.

The same thing applys to models. If you have a small foamy with a 24" span flying at 15 mph it will "feel" the same as a 48" foamy flying at 30 mph.

Cubic loading makes that adjustment for you.

I find it is pretty close. Two planes with similar cubic loading values will fly similarly, or at least feel like they fly similarly, even if they are very different sizes and the larger one has a much higher wing loading and is actually flying faster.

I use it a lot to get an idea if Im going to like the way a model flys before I build/buy it.

Do a Google on "Cubic wing loading" and you will get many hits.

I have a spread sheet I can post with all the calcs and formulas in it if your interested.
Old 01-21-2009, 09:41 PM
benovisoff
aint crashin aint flyin

PICS!?
Old 01-21-2009, 11:16 PM
starcad
Model Designer

Cubic wing loading has been around for a long time but not many people understand it or use it unfortunately.

I like it a lot. It is basically normal wing loading with an adjustment for the over all size of the model. Thats where the 'cubic' part comes in.

Larger models appear to be flying slower even when they are not. The larger size tricks the eye into thinking the speed is less than it is. Watch a 747 come in for a landing and it looks to be floating in nice and slow when its actually doing close to 200 mph.

The same thing applys to models. If you have a small foamy with a 24" span flying at 15 mph it will "feel" the same as a 48" foamy flying at 30 mph.

Cubic loading makes that adjustment for you.

I find it is pretty close. Two planes with similar cubic loading values will fly similarly, or at least feel like they fly similarly, even if they are very different sizes and the larger one has a much higher wing loading and is actually flying faster.

I use it a lot to get an idea if Im going to like the way a model flys before I build/buy it.

Do a Google on "Cubic wing loading" and you will get many hits.

I have a spread sheet I can post with all the calcs and formulas in it if your interested.
Hey Larry post it as I'd like to have it. It just may help me in several areas. - Guy
Old 01-21-2009, 11:19 PM
starcad
Model Designer

Chellie, looks like your well within the ballpark figures for the weight. Don't know if I would want to ba around a prop that size doing a hand launch. Arm might become launch meat. How's the fuse coming along? Any Pics?
Old 01-22-2009, 12:35 AM
Larry3215

Here is the spread sheet. The formula is in colum H. Just type in the wing span, all up weight and wing area and the spread sheet will do the calcs automatically.

Column H is the cubic loading and column G is regular wing loading. Column F is aspect ratio.

Take the stall speed calcs with a LARGE grain of salt. It assumes the same CoL for all planes
Attached Files
File Type: zip
wingloadingfavorites.zip (20.9 KB, 152 views)
Old 01-22-2009, 03:27 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by starcad View Post
Chellie, looks like your well within the ballpark figures for the weight. Don't know if I would want to ba around a prop that size doing a hand launch. Arm might become launch meat. How's the fuse coming along? Any Pics?
I got distracted monday, helping my son with his car, so i did not get a chance to start on the fuselage yet, I have friday off from work, so i am going to do the fuselage Friday, i work a 9/80 work schedual, so i have every other friday off, Take care, Chellie
Old 01-22-2009, 04:49 AM
starcad
Model Designer

Thanks Larry, I'll have a look tomorrow gotta get to bed as I open tomorrow and have a 4am curtain call. TTyAll Later - Guy

Quick Reply: Giant Rc Foamie Biplane Scratch Build

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.09760 seconds with 14 queries