Giant Rc Foamie Biplane Scratch Build - Page 6 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft Discuss and share your scratch built or kit built aircraft as well as building techniques, methods, mediums and resources.

Giant Rc Foamie Biplane Scratch Build

Old 01-18-2009, 08:04 PM
larryross
certified FFF addict

If you are serious, PM me for plans and build guide. If not, Oh well.

Originally Posted by benovisoff View Post
those are so nice. I want the little one!
Old 01-18-2009, 08:58 PM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by larryross View Post
Hi Chellie
I came for a visit to see how you are doing. It may sound like I'm a copy cat, but I started my Pitts last summer. It is also a 6 foot wing, but are build up wings. Here is a picture of when I started. Still don't have it finished. I tend to jump around from one project to another.

I'll be around to see how you do with yours.

Larry R
Thats looking great Larry keep up the nice work, I know what you mean about jumping around on planes, i have a stryker that I have not finished yet and its been months, people want to see it done my biplane is going to be a semi profile 3D PlaneTake care, Chellie
Old 01-18-2009, 09:53 PM
larryross
certified FFF addict

Chellie
Not to brag (this is not something to brag about), I have 6 not finished projects and here I am pecking away on the keyboard instead of building... go figure.

Larry
Old 01-18-2009, 10:11 PM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Chellie
Not to brag (this is not something to brag about), I have 6 not finished projects and here I am pecking away on the keyboard instead of building... go figure.

Larry
Dont feel like the Lone Ranger Larry I also have 6 unfinished planes a bob cat, a small bi plane, a large biplane, a 40 size trainer, a stryker, a tri plane, a small pattern plane Ok thats 7 and here I am pecking away at the key board Oh Well, they will get done sooner or later Take care, Chellie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxIuIxqo2So must see video

Last edited by CHELLIE; 01-18-2009 at 11:47 PM.
Old 01-18-2009, 10:45 PM
larryross
certified FFF addict

Great Chellie... I guess maybe I'm not crazy after all. At least not the only crazy one.

Keep up the good work.
Larry

Originally Posted by CHELLIE View Post
Dont feel like the Lone Ranger Larry I also have 6 unfinished planes a bob cat, a small bi plane, a large biplane, a 40 size trainer, a stryker, a tri plane, a small pattern plane Ok thats 7 and here I am pecking away at the key board Oh Well, they will get done sooner or later Take care, Chellie
Old 01-18-2009, 11:04 PM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

To Tell you the truth, I think we are all PLANE CRAZY Take care, Chellie
Old 01-18-2009, 11:09 PM
benovisoff
aint crashin aint flyin

well... I'm just crazy
Old 01-19-2009, 04:31 AM
larryross
certified FFF addict

Look Chellie you are my first friend. PMd you.
Old 01-19-2009, 04:42 AM
Bub Steve
Super Contributor

Larry:: you got a heck of a lot of skills there my bub, Great work! your bub, steve!!
Old 01-19-2009, 04:56 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

I see 2 friends there
Old 01-19-2009, 05:11 AM
larryross
certified FFF addict

Larry
I have heard of A123 batteries, but I haven't seen too much of them. I didn't check much on them, because I thought they were more expensive than Lipos. From what little I have looked they seen more expensive. Tell me more. Looks like I am posting to myself Hehehe

Larry

Originally Posted by Larry3215 View Post
Dont forget that once you get up into this size range, A123 cells start to make a lot of sense.

The plane wont notice the small weight penalty, they are a lot cheeper than lipos, last waaaaay longer and you can re-charge in 6 to 10 minutes with a super cheep charger so you only need one pack to fly all day. Oh yeah - and they wont blow up on you
Old 01-19-2009, 05:13 AM
larryross
certified FFF addict

Ya Steve just asked me. Cool... now I have 2

Larry

I see 2 friends there
Old 01-19-2009, 09:24 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Hi Everyone, I did a little more to the Bi Plane, I made 4 center braced for the wing to tie the 2 wing halfs together, i used some 1/16" plywood, to glue on the top and bottom in the middle of the wing, this brace will also give me some support for the wing mounting screws too, I am trying to keep it as lite as i can, each piece of 6"x12" ply, weights 1 1/2 oz, so another 6oz added to the weight plus glue, I want to be able to do Snap Rolls with this plane so i am trying to brace it just enough, but not to much, here are the braces glued in the middle of one wing, the wings are going to be covered with tower coat low heat covering, I wanted to mix some micro ballon and epoxy together and blend the wood in, but thats going to add more weight, so i think i will not do that Take care, Chellie
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	brace 005_1.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	109.7 KB
ID:	91030   Click image for larger version

Name:	brace 002_1.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	115.8 KB
ID:	91031  

Last edited by CHELLIE; 01-19-2009 at 09:47 AM.
Old 01-19-2009, 03:34 PM
benovisoff
aint crashin aint flyin

cool. keep goin
Old 01-19-2009, 06:16 PM
Larry3215
Look out for that tree!!!

Larry
I have heard of A123 batteries, but I haven't seen too much of them. I didn't check much on them, because I thought they were more expensive than Lipos. From what little I have looked they seen more expensive. Tell me more. Looks like I am posting to myself Hehehe

Larry
This is kind of like talking to yourself isnt it

The A123 cells are awesome for larger birds. Im flying 6S1P packs in the Mega Capricorn and in BUFY and in the Polaris. Im going ot have to go 6S2P in the Polaris though. The average amp draw is too much for one pack and my flight times are too short.

The cells can be purchaced a couple of ways if you into building your own packs.

You can get Dewalt drill packs with 10 cells in them for aeound $100/per 10 cells if you buy 2 at a time. You can buy individual cells for about $15 each. Or you can purchace pre-made packs for more like $20-$25/cell.

So the up-front cost on these are more expensive than the el-cheepo lipo packs BUT they will last several hundred cycles easily. That brings the cost per flight to well below lipo costs. Charles - Everydayflyer - has packs with 600+ hard cycles on them that still have 90% capacity.

Someone else did a test where they over charged them to 4.2 volts per cell then ran them down to zero volts - for 300 cycles!

They are also very very dificult to kill and will not catch fire at the drop of a hat.

On top of that you can re-charge them in 6 minutes with a $40 charger - or even a $10 home made charger if your brave and can watch them closely.

I have one pack - my every day pack - that probably has over 150 cycles on it now. I have shorted this pack by accident at least 3 times. Twice the leads got so hot that the solder where they attach to the cells actually melted off! The last time I had my WattMeter in the circuit and its rated for over 100 amps and it melted the wattmeter but the pack survived!

I have run this pack down to well under 2 volts per cell several times and run it to over 150 deg F several times. It routinely gets charged at 40 amps initial rate with an average rate of close to 20 amps. It has also been over charged many times to well beyond the "maximum" voltage. My average charge time is about 8 minutes from dead empty.

The pack is still working perfectly!! On the Polaris flights, I ran it down to where the motor would not start and put back 2150 mahr into a 2300 mahr pack so they are still holding at about 95% capacity.

They are simply amazing cells. They are too heavy for small foamies, but great for these big ones.
Old 01-19-2009, 06:20 PM
Larry3215

By the way - that short re-charge time means you can get by with a single pack - even for several planes! I never get to fly back to back flights, so I land toss the pack on the charger and 8 minutes later its ready to go again. Dont even need to wait for it to cool down.

You can fly several planes all day long with a single pack. That makes the cost look even better when compared to lipos.
Old 01-19-2009, 07:25 PM
larryross
certified FFF addict

Are there any other cordless tool that you can get the cells from?
Old 01-19-2009, 08:10 PM
Larry3215

Not that I know of. Only certain 36 volt Dewalt packs contain the correct cells so you need to be careful which ones your going for.

You need the ones that say they are Nano Phosphate.

The DC9360 Features
• DEWALT® exclusive nano-phosphate lithium ion
cells provide high power for corded performance
Old 01-20-2009, 07:52 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Larry3215 View Post
Not that I know of. Only certain 36 volt Dewalt packs contain the correct cells so you need to be careful which ones your going for.

You need the ones that say they are Nano Phosphate.

The DC9360 Features
• DEWALT® exclusive nano-phosphate lithium ion
cells provide high power for corded performance
Wow, Thank you Larry for all the Great Info on the A123 Batteries, I may have to go to the A123 cells later if i keep making Giant Planes right now i am just using what I have, I recently bought another 4 cell lipo, its a 2350mah 25C for my Stryker, That has been on the back burner a lot of people want to see that thing fly with a neu 1509 motor, a 100amp esc and on 4 cells, I am going to parallel 2- 2350mah 25C 4 cells lipos together for 4700mah 25C for the Stryker, I am also going to use those same lipos in my Giant biplane, it was cheaper for me to buy a parallel harness for 2 lipos for $6.95 than to go to A123 cells at this time Take care, Chellie
Old 01-20-2009, 08:53 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Default Update

a little update, I make a little more progress, I wanted to work more on this plane today, I did get the top wing done, but i had to help my Son with his car, its a 15 year old 1993 ford crown Vic , p/s fluid was pouring out of it , OK we got it on safty stands, wiped the oil off, found out it was the p/s gearbox bottom seal, Ok, got on line with NAPA Auto, found the seal, called the local Napa store, they said they can have it in the store in about 1 hr, Ok, drove over and paid for it so they can pick it up, and my Plan was to get the Parts and Drive the car over to the local economy auto repair shop and have Them put the seals in, Right, Wrong, they were closed Monday and my son needed the car to go to night classes, Darn, OK Well we have the car up on Safty Stands, We have enough tools here to do the job, so we took off the arm at the p/s gear box, I have snap ring plyers, but they were a little on the small side, mostly used for electric motors, but we were just able to use them to get the snap ring off, Ok now we try to use a sharp punch to make a little hole in the dust seal, to get a screw on it to pull it out, darn dust seal was make with a thick washer, We could not make a little hole in it to use a screw to pull it out, NOW WHAT do we do OK, have a Cig, Drink a Coke and THINK IDEA ,TADA, OK we put a drain pan under the gearbox, and start the engine, and turn the wheel from side to side, the pressure blew the Seal Right out Yeaaa, Ok now we go back to NAPA, to pick up the seal, and larger snap ring plyers to put it back together, the seal was $22.00 and the snap ring plyers were $36.00 Ouch , The price of a 4 cell lipo it has different sizes of ends for it, and it was all they had that would fit the snap ring, Well we got it all Back together, and no more leaks, Yea , So Thats what my Son and I did for most of the day today, but i did manage to work on the biplane for a couple of hours, Take care, Chellie

Last edited by CHELLIE; 01-20-2009 at 09:14 AM.
Old 01-20-2009, 05:58 PM
Larry3215

Kids!!

Sure would be nice if they took their problems with them when they moved out!

Guess you gotta love 'em though. At least when they bring you cute little grand daughters instead of broken cars
Old 01-21-2009, 03:58 AM
starcad
Model Designer

Ah Man, Larry. They grow up, move out, and then move back in with more. Trouble is we get stuck with what they make and can't take care of. But, i love being stuck with the little 6 year old I have.

Guy
Old 01-21-2009, 04:06 AM
Bub Steve
Super Contributor

a little update, I make a little more progress, I wanted to work more on this plane today, I did get the top wing done, but i had to help my Son with his car, its a 15 year old 1993 ford crown Vic , p/s fluid was pouring out of it , OK we got it on safty stands, wiped the oil off, found out it was the p/s gearbox bottom seal, Ok, got on line with NAPA Auto, found the seal, called the local Napa store, they said they can have it in the store in about 1 hr, Ok, drove over and paid for it so they can pick it up, and my Plan was to get the Parts and Drive the car over to the local economy auto repair shop and have Them put the seals in, Right, Wrong, they were closed Monday and my son needed the car to go to night classes, Darn, OK Well we have the car up on Safty Stands, We have enough tools here to do the job, so we took off the arm at the p/s gear box, I have snap ring plyers, but they were a little on the small side, mostly used for electric motors, but we were just able to use them to get the snap ring off, Ok now we try to use a sharp punch to make a little hole in the dust seal, to get a screw on it to pull it out, darn dust seal was make with a thick washer, We could not make a little hole in it to use a screw to pull it out, NOW WHAT do we do OK, have a Cig, Drink a Coke and THINK IDEA ,TADA, OK we put a drain pan under the gearbox, and start the engine, and turn the wheel from side to side, the pressure blew the Seal Right out Yeaaa, Ok now we go back to NAPA, to pick up the seal, and larger snap ring plyers to put it back together, the seal was $22.00 and the snap ring plyers were $36.00 Ouch , The price of a 4 cell lipo it has different sizes of ends for it, and it was all they had that would fit the snap ring, Well we got it all Back together, and no more leaks, Yea , So Thats what my Son and I did for most of the day today, but i did manage to work on the biplane for a couple of hours, Take care, Chellie
ChellieBub:: You turn a Wrench's!! Stop flirt'in with meBub steve
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	petty an red 101.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	149.6 KB
ID:	91205  
Old 01-21-2009, 04:09 AM
starcad
Model Designer

Chelli, what is the weight of that wing now that it is complete? I still think your over building but I may be wrong. 1/16" ply seems like a little over kill. I don't think your going to have to worry much about power as my Pole Cat comes in at just over 5 lbs and flies like it was on rails with a 4s and a Trinigy C4250-700. Love that plane and love that motor.
Old 01-21-2009, 04:22 AM
Larry3215

I think its some sort of cosmic law. You HAVE to over build your first 7 or maybe its 18 big birds Obviously, Im not done yet!

Quick Reply: Giant Rc Foamie Biplane Scratch Build

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.10734 seconds with 13 queries