Giant Rc Foamie Biplane Scratch Build - Page 2 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft Discuss and share your scratch built or kit built aircraft as well as building techniques, methods, mediums and resources.

Giant Rc Foamie Biplane Scratch Build

Old 01-10-2009, 07:14 AM
  #26  
CHELLIE
Super Contributor
Thread Starter
 
CHELLIE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Hesperia, So. Calif
Posts: 19,255
Default

Originally Posted by darylm44 View Post
Looks like an interesting project. I will watch for updates and hope it flies well for you.
Originally Posted by groundrushesup View Post
What happened to my other post? Watt the Flyer?!?!

Anyways Chellie This is an awesome project, I will follow it closely.

I've always wanted to make a big pink monstrosity out of the foamula-2 board... maybe you'll be the inspiration!

GRU
Kewl, that would be a Neet Project, I for one, would love to see more Giant size E Power Planes here on Wattflyers, for one because they are Neet, and second, you learn from the person that has made one, and learn what works and what does not work, Also, the prices on larger motors have gone down, as with lipos too, So more people can get involved in a giant size E Power bird, Take care, Chellie
CHELLIE is offline  
Old 01-10-2009, 07:22 AM
  #27  
groundrushesup
Super Contributor
 
groundrushesup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Pflugerville, TX
Posts: 2,338
Default

Originally Posted by CHELLIE View Post
Kewl, that would be a Neet Project, I for one, would love to see more Giant size E Power Planes here on Wattflyers, for one because they are Neet, and second, you learn from the person that has made one, and learn what works and what does not work, Also, the prices on larger motors have gone down, as with lipos too, So more people can get involved in a giant size E Power bird, Take care, Chellie
No way, I can't afford a 14S2P! My plane will be 100% CHP - Caffeinated Hamster Power.

With a gearbox, of course. Even with Monster drinks, they can only do so much.


Here's one of my previous projects (not scale, of course.)

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	hamster-wheel-motorcycle-797973.jpg
Views:	321
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	89853  
groundrushesup is offline  
Old 01-10-2009, 01:47 PM
  #28  
Slowjohn
Passed on
 
Slowjohn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Mid Coastal TX.
Posts: 2,100
Thumbs up Subscribing

Oh Yeah Chellie This is going to be one to watch for sure big time!!!!!!!

Maybe your build will inspire me to pick back up on my 6'+ ws scratch built Twin from pink FFF that I started a couple of years back but shelved because of the cost of the bigger motors & lipos like you mentioned a few post back. Also I didn't know near as much back then as I do now so maybe it'll have a better chance of a successful flight.

Standing By,
SJ
Slowjohn is offline  
Old 01-10-2009, 05:46 PM
  #29  
Larry3215
Look out for that tree!!!
 
Larry3215's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Gig Harbor, Wa USA
Posts: 7,061
Default

Dont forget that once you get up into this size range, A123 cells start to make a lot of sense.

The plane wont notice the small weight penalty, they are a lot cheeper than lipos, last waaaaay longer and you can re-charge in 6 to 10 minutes with a super cheep charger so you only need one pack to fly all day. Oh yeah - and they wont blow up on you
Larry3215 is offline  
Old 01-10-2009, 08:44 PM
  #30  
Bub Steve
Super Contributor
 
Bub Steve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Shadeville Fl,
Posts: 7,189
Default

Originally Posted by groundrushesup View Post
Whoah them some new planes you got there stevebub?

GRU
Some are MustangMans haHaaa! bub, steve
Bub Steve is offline  
Old 01-10-2009, 08:48 PM
  #31  
CHELLIE
Super Contributor
Thread Starter
 
CHELLIE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Hesperia, So. Calif
Posts: 19,255
Default

Originally Posted by Larry3215 View Post
Dont forget that once you get up into this size range, A123 cells start to make a lot of sense.

The plane wont notice the small weight penalty, they are a lot cheeper than lipos, last waaaaay longer and you can re-charge in 6 to 10 minutes with a super cheep charger so you only need one pack to fly all day. Oh yeah - and they wont blow up on you
Thank you Larry thats good to know, I think i am going to have to make a spruce frame for the fuselage, the 6mm depron will just be the skin, as it wont have enough strength when landing, i was thinking about that last night, with some ply bulkheads, i think that what you call them this is going to be a interesting project, thats for sure, Take care, Chellie
CHELLIE is offline  
Old 01-10-2009, 08:54 PM
  #32  
CHELLIE
Super Contributor
Thread Starter
 
CHELLIE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Hesperia, So. Calif
Posts: 19,255
Default

Originally Posted by Slowjohn View Post
Oh Yeah Chellie This is going to be one to watch for sure big time!!!!!!!

Maybe your build will inspire me to pick back up on my 6'+ ws scratch built Twin from pink FFF that I started a couple of years back but shelved because of the cost of the bigger motors & lipos like you mentioned a few post back. Also I didn't know near as much back then as I do now so maybe it'll have a better chance of a successful flight.

Standing By,
SJ
I would love to have you build right along side me on this one John, pick up that PINK FOAM and Dive in Thats basicly what I did, I just dove into this build, and I am hopeing to work myself out of it I have friends that Say I can dive into a pile of POO POO and come out smelling like a Rose, I Hope so on this one Take care, Chellie
CHELLIE is offline  
Old 01-10-2009, 09:30 PM
  #33  
Larry3215
Look out for that tree!!!
 
Larry3215's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Gig Harbor, Wa USA
Posts: 7,061
Default

Originally Posted by CHELLIE View Post
Thank you Larry thats good to know, I think i am going to have to make a spruce frame for the fuselage, the 6mm depron will just be the skin, as it wont have enough strength when landing, i was thinking about that last night, with some ply bulkheads, i think that what you call them this is going to be a interesting project, thats for sure, Take care, Chellie
Let me see if I can find some pics of how I did the big foamy in my avatar.

The key stress points are the landing gear to motor mount to wing mount.
Larry3215 is offline  
Old 01-10-2009, 09:42 PM
  #34  
Larry3215
Look out for that tree!!!
 
Larry3215's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Gig Harbor, Wa USA
Posts: 7,061
Default

Ok here are a few shots of how I did it. You will be surprised at how strong the 6mm Depron and be when you're doing a full fuse.

If you double up in some spots and run some spruce or carbon stringers between the main stress points it will be like a tank

My setup was different in that I only had the one wing and one wing tube but these should give you some ideas.

This plane was very strong and held up to severe 3D maneuvers and some hard landings. It took a mid-air with a 40 sized glow plane to break it
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1728 (Large).JPG
Views:	412
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	89897   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1736 (Large).JPG
Views:	477
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	89898   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1750 (Large).JPG
Views:	468
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	89899   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1746 (Large).JPG
Views:	421
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	89900   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1752 (Large).JPG
Views:	414
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	89901  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1755 (Large).JPG
Views:	391
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	89902   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1756 (Large).JPG
Views:	388
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	89903   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1759 (Large).JPG
Views:	387
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	89904   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1760 (Large).JPG
Views:	388
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	89905   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1761 (Large).JPG
Views:	404
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	89906  

Larry3215 is offline  
Old 01-10-2009, 09:50 PM
  #35  
Larry3215
Look out for that tree!!!
 
Larry3215's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Gig Harbor, Wa USA
Posts: 7,061
Default

More fuse details. I did a lot of bending of the Depron. Some of it around a 1" shower tube heated with a heat gun but a lot of just by slooooooowly working the foam over a corner.

Hope these give you some ideas
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1766 (Large).JPG
Views:	442
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	89909   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1762 (Large).JPG
Views:	542
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	89910   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1699 (Large).JPG
Views:	499
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	89911   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1700 (Large).JPG
Views:	423
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	89912   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1701 (Large).JPG
Views:	408
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	89913  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1705 (Large).JPG
Views:	433
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	89914   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1809 (Large).JPG
Views:	407
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	89915   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1811 (Large).JPG
Views:	461
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	89916   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1817 (Large).JPG
Views:	496
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	89917   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1813 (Large).JPG
Views:	474
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	89918  

Larry3215 is offline  
Old 01-10-2009, 10:09 PM
  #36  
CHELLIE
Super Contributor
Thread Starter
 
CHELLIE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Hesperia, So. Calif
Posts: 19,255
Default

Wow, Nice build Larry, yes that gave me a lot of good information that I can use, Thank You, Chellie
CHELLIE is offline  
Old 01-11-2009, 12:47 AM
  #37  
CHELLIE
Super Contributor
Thread Starter
 
CHELLIE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Hesperia, So. Calif
Posts: 19,255
Default Wing Build Up

Hi Everyone I got a little more done, I measured & Cut the 9mm foam for the wing, the wing will have a balsa leading egde, and spruce on the back side, it will be boxed in with spruce or balsa on the tip, and then some rounded off 9mm foam added at the tip, it will be braced also with two 8.5mm CF tubes, and the middle of the wing will get some lite plywood to tie the wings together, the ailerons will be 3 3/4" wide I took Larrys advice and made the rudder with a helper section on top of it Ok now i have to cut out one more wing, and glue this thing together, Take care, Chellie
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	A1A1A1 wing 001_1.jpg
Views:	406
Size:	155.6 KB
ID:	89955   Click image for larger version

Name:	A1A1A1 wing 002_1.jpg
Views:	399
Size:	165.1 KB
ID:	89956   Click image for larger version

Name:	A1A1A1 wing 004_1.jpg
Views:	397
Size:	150.6 KB
ID:	89957   Click image for larger version

Name:	11111aaa 002_1.jpg
Views:	379
Size:	137.6 KB
ID:	89981  

Last edited by CHELLIE; 01-11-2009 at 03:27 AM.
CHELLIE is offline  
Old 01-11-2009, 01:07 AM
  #38  
Larry3215
Look out for that tree!!!
 
Larry3215's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Gig Harbor, Wa USA
Posts: 7,061
Default

You probably dont have to worry too much about wing twisting nthe way your doing it.

The center section where the wings mount to the fuse will be fixed in place. Then you will have the interplane struts between the two wings which will be out about where your carbon spars end. They will lock in the bulk of the wing. The only unsuported sections will be the tips and I think your balsa and spruce strips will take care of that just fine.

Lookin good girl!
Larry3215 is offline  
Old 01-11-2009, 01:16 AM
  #39  
CarpenterDave
RC Plane builder/flyer
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: PA. USA
Posts: 131
Default

Ni ice, I can't wait to this one Fly!
CarpenterDave is offline  
Old 01-11-2009, 03:22 AM
  #40  
CHELLIE
Super Contributor
Thread Starter
 
CHELLIE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Hesperia, So. Calif
Posts: 19,255
Default

Originally Posted by Larry3215 View Post
You probably dont have to worry too much about wing twisting nthe way your doing it.

The center section where the wings mount to the fuse will be fixed in place. Then you will have the interplane struts between the two wings which will be out about where your carbon spars end. They will lock in the bulk of the wing. The only unsuported sections will be the tips and I think your balsa and spruce strips will take care of that just fine.

Lookin good girl!
Thank you Larry the wing tip is going to have a piece of spruce or balsa connecting the leading edge, the back of the wing and the wing tip, then i will cut our a piece of foam and glue that to the wood thats on the wing tip, i am trying to box in the wing to make it strong, then with both wings hooked together, that should help alot, its getting there Take care, Chellie
CHELLIE is offline  
Old 01-11-2009, 03:23 AM
  #41  
CHELLIE
Super Contributor
Thread Starter
 
CHELLIE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Hesperia, So. Calif
Posts: 19,255
Default

Originally Posted by CarpenterDave View Post
Ni ice, I can't wait to this one Fly!
Thank you Dave me too, i want to see this thing fly big time Take care, Chellie
CHELLIE is offline  
Old 01-11-2009, 03:27 AM
  #42  
Alpea42
Parkjets Rule 3D Rocks
 
Alpea42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: So. Ca. Chino
Posts: 3,646
Default

Larry how did that giant fly? Chellie, looks like Larry is the man to give advice on Giant Scale Foamies.
Alpea42 is offline  
Old 01-11-2009, 03:28 AM
  #43  
Bub Steve
Super Contributor
 
Bub Steve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Shadeville Fl,
Posts: 7,189
Default

Originally Posted by CHELLIE View Post
Thank you Dave me too, i want to see this thing fly big time Take care, Chellie
Chellie::At 5'8 1/2 " & 134 Lbs I'm your man to maid'in her!! ,Most my bub's here are to big to get in it!! bub, steve
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	airplane100b.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	89982  
Bub Steve is offline  
Old 01-11-2009, 03:30 AM
  #44  
CHELLIE
Super Contributor
Thread Starter
 
CHELLIE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Hesperia, So. Calif
Posts: 19,255
Default

Originally Posted by Alpea42 View Post
Larry how did that giant fly? Chellie, looks like Larry is the man to give advice on Giant Scale Foamies.
Hi AL Yes, Larry Has been a Big Help to me, Not just on this Build but other builds and has advised me with power systems too, He is very very Sharp, I am Glad to have him help me out, Take care, Chellie
CHELLIE is offline  
Old 01-11-2009, 03:30 AM
  #45  
pburt1975
Hotel California
 
pburt1975's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,456
Default

Wow Chellie, this is looking very nice. I plan on using these
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=7562
for the rudder and elevator on the 63"ws electra. They may do your needs too.

Good luck with the rest of the build
pburt1975 is offline  
Old 01-11-2009, 03:32 AM
  #46  
CHELLIE
Super Contributor
Thread Starter
 
CHELLIE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Hesperia, So. Calif
Posts: 19,255
Default

Originally Posted by stevecooper View Post
Chellie::At 5'8 1/2 " & 134 Lbs I'm your man to maid'in her!! ,Most my bub's here are to big to get in it!! bub, steve
Thats a Cute Airplane Pic I love it Take care bub Steve
CHELLIE is offline  
Old 01-11-2009, 03:42 AM
  #47  
CHELLIE
Super Contributor
Thread Starter
 
CHELLIE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Hesperia, So. Calif
Posts: 19,255
Default

Originally Posted by pburt1975 View Post
Wow Chellie, this is looking very nice. I plan on using these
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=7562
for the rudder and elevator on the 63"ws electra. They may do your needs too.

Good luck with the rest of the build
Thank you Paul for the link I will look at those, I have some Standard size JR BB servos, so i will use those for now, I am trying not to spend to much money on this build, I am just trying to use what I have laying around, I bought a extra 2350mah 4 cell lipo for another build, so i will be using that and hooking it up in parallel for 4700mah 4 cell, I have a towerpro 3520-7 motor laying around and a 50 amp tower pro ESC laying around, Sooo i will be using that too, I am trying to go as cheap as possilble, but i dont want to hurt the performance of the plane to much besides, Cheap is my middle name Take care, Chellie
CHELLIE is offline  
Old 01-11-2009, 03:45 AM
  #48  
pburt1975
Hotel California
 
pburt1975's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,456
Default

Originally Posted by CHELLIE View Post
besides, Cheap is my middle name Take care, Chellie
Now now, you dont look one bit "Cheap" to me.
pburt1975 is offline  
Old 01-11-2009, 04:00 AM
  #49  
CHELLIE
Super Contributor
Thread Starter
 
CHELLIE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Hesperia, So. Calif
Posts: 19,255
Default Power System TP 3520-7

here is the Cheapy TP motor i will be using it will be Swinging a 15x4 APC-e prop on 4 cells.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=564700


Not to Shabby for $26.00



WEIGHT 305g
MAX EFFICIENCY 93%
BATTERY 4 cell Li-poly battery
KV 670
PROPOLLER 13*8/14*7APC-E
CURRENT 1.2A-50A
VOLTAGE 14.8


CHELLIE is offline  
Old 01-11-2009, 04:01 AM
  #50  
CHELLIE
Super Contributor
Thread Starter
 
CHELLIE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Hesperia, So. Calif
Posts: 19,255
Default

Originally Posted by pburt1975 View Post
now now, you dont look one bit "cheap" to me.
lol
CHELLIE is offline  

Quick Reply: Giant Rc Foamie Biplane Scratch Build


Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.15523 seconds with 36 queries