Low wing plane with no rudder - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

ParkFlyers Talk about all backyard and parkflyer aircraft here

Low wing plane with no rudder

Old 12-10-2008, 10:20 PM
briskability
bing bang bop

Default Low wing plane with no rudder

So I am working on building a low wing foamy but have to leave out either the ailerons or rudder and i dont think a low wing plane would be much good without ailerons so has anyone tried a low wing setup without any rudder? Or what do you think i should do.
Old 12-10-2008, 10:25 PM
TDisaster
Super Contributor

Lots of people go without rudder on planes. I like to have all, but you can do without rudder. It would be much simpler to forget rudder than aileron anyway.
Old 12-10-2008, 11:26 PM
Murocflyer
WAA-08 Pilot #1

You bet. Rudder is a nicety, not a necessity if you are not flying 3D. If there has to be a choice, forgo the rudder.

Frank
Old 12-10-2008, 11:42 PM
gfdengine204
Super Contributor

I've flown combat foamies w/no rudder controls, just AIL and ELE. They are a ton of fun, and do everything you want them too if you are not looking for 3D aerobatics.
Old 12-10-2008, 11:55 PM
thomdoe

www.rcpowers.com has a vid on this. And yes I do work with him on some vids. Not a shill just thought you would like the vids and info
Old 12-13-2008, 08:50 PM
proffcharlie

Given a choice I would leave out the rudder. Have flown many planes Low, Middle, Shoulder and High Wing without rudder no problem. Most people tend to forget about rudder till the get into an aerobatic plane anyway. A lot of guys I fly with only think about rudder for taxing out to the runway.

Charlie
Old 12-13-2008, 11:56 PM
fr4nk1yn
^_^

Besides it's a whole lot harder to roll with rudder only (;
Old 12-22-2008, 04:58 AM
Bill G
Super Contrubutor

I'm at the tail end of converting all my rudder warbirds to aileron. When I started building I was a novice flyer. Only 1, the Guillows 190 flys well on rudder, and by that time I built it as a purpose built rudder flyer, when I had started to gain a good knowledge of building planes with rudder, with ample dihedral, right thrust, etc.

My advice would be build with ailerons, whether you use them or not. You can use the rudder if it works, but then you won't need to use it later when you get onto ailerons. Then you have them later when your flying skills increase. A lot easier than adding them in, after the build. On that note, I've done so many aileron add-ons that it's not too bad. About 1-1/2 hours to cut out the ailerons, re-frame the wing and ailerons, and recover. The idea is to cut extra covering on the wing side, so it will go into the newly added aileron frame. Then you only have to recover the ailerons. Pushing the torque rod straight through and ending up dead on target is a different story, but can be done fairly easily. After that, bend the torque rod end 90 deg, glue bushings in the ailerons for the bent ends to go into, and add linkage/servo at the wing center.

About time I got on this 4 yr old Dauntless. Has retracts and should be a decent flyer with a real runway. Done a few of these even heavier for the size that fly well, but not slow.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Dauntless Guillows.JPG
Views:	552
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	87506   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dauntless_retracts3.jpg
Views:	322
Size:	157.1 KB
ID:	87507   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dauntless_retracts4.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	155.3 KB