Can an RTF helicopter transmitter be use as an airplane radio? - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Can an RTF helicopter transmitter be use as an airplane radio?

Old 12-01-2008, 01:52 AM
GreenAce92
RAWR!!! Lets fly...

Default Can an RTF helicopter transmitter be use as an airplane radio?

Got a question for ya, i need a second xmitter that will use ch 2 and 3 for a glider, can each servo work seperately on each channel? or not because its pre programmed?
Old 12-01-2008, 02:33 AM
Dorsal
If it Flies, I love it!

The transmitter doesn't "know" or "care" if it's controlling a heli, plane, robot or controlling nothing - so in that sense, YES, you could use that transmitter.
However, it's usefullness will depend on what KIND of transmitter it is! If it's one from a $29 RadioShack special, you probably won't be very happy with the results, as the range will be VERY limited and the frequency (usually 27MHz) will be very subject to interference.

Have you seen this? http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41369
Old 12-01-2008, 02:49 AM
Figure.N9ne
Super Contributor

a lot of times the rtf radios have eccpm hardwired into the radio and there is usually no easy way to undo it.
Old 12-01-2008, 03:11 AM
Twmaster

Originally Posted by Dorsal View Post
The transmitter doesn't "know" or "care" if it's controlling a heli, plane, robot or controlling nothing - so in that sense, YES, you could use that transmitter.
Not so.

The transmitters from the likes of the E-Flite Blade CP and others like it have the CCPM mixing hard coded into the TX.

Otherwise many of the transmitters from helis like the micro fixed pitch and coax birds are really just plain old 4 channel transmitters. I use E-SKy 4 channel TX's for planes regularly.

If you mean the transmitters from some toy....

I wouldn't even try.
Old 12-01-2008, 03:34 AM
GreenAce92
RAWR!!! Lets fly...

Oh well to clarify im talking about the transmitter from my E-Sky Belt CP which is a 6ch 3D helicopter, its currently out of commission and i wanted to teach my friend to fly, and since i dont have any spare escs/motors(another issue i gotta ask a question about) i thought i coudl build a simple (well 2) DLG glider to fly with. that run on ch1 and 2 but luckily i have an e-flite 4ch tx from a heli which can be used for planes i imagine since its from the coaxial one.

About the esc thing, how can i plug in a batt into ch6? without an esc, i had an 3wire plug(liek a servo plug) which conencted to a 4AAA battery holder, so if i attached the + and - wires to the + and - wires on a 3wire plug in and plugged it into ch6 that would power my rx right?

thansk for the help!
Old 12-01-2008, 03:51 AM
ministeve2003
Class Clown

Originally Posted by GreenAce92 View Post
Oh well to clarify im talking about the transmitter from my E-Sky Belt CP which is a 6ch 3D helicopter, its currently out of commission and i wanted to teach my friend to fly, and since i dont have any spare escs/motors(another issue i gotta ask a question about) i thought i coudl build a simple (well 2) DLG glider to fly with. that run on ch1 and 2 but luckily i have an e-flite 4ch tx from a heli which can be used for planes i imagine since its from the coaxial one.

About the esc thing, how can i plug in a batt into ch6? without an esc, i had an 3wire plug(liek a servo plug) which conencted to a 4AAA battery holder, so if i attached the + and - wires to the + and - wires on a 3wire plug in and plugged it into ch6 that would power my rx right?

thansk for the help!
careful don't do something like that... you may burn out the rx and/or all the servos

SK
Old 12-01-2008, 03:57 AM
Twmaster

Originally Posted by ministeve2003 View Post
careful don't do something like that... you may burn out the rx and/or all the servos

SK
Why not do that? That is exactly what comes with many radio sets that do not have nicads and would be installed in a nitro plane, car, truck etc. or sailplane.

4 dry cells = 6VDC. Well within the operating voltage of just about every common RX and servo in existence.

Green....

The way you want to power that is fine. Just make sure you have the connections in the right places. Do not connect anything to the signal wire. Better yet, cut it off the lead you intend to use with your battery pack.
Old 12-01-2008, 04:17 AM
GreenAce92
RAWR!!! Lets fly...

Yeah i thought so, my eclipse 7(poor things dying need to repair) came with a 4AAA batterypack holder with a 3wire plug in, i just lost it adn wasnt sure how it worked...

cool maybe i can get one of my friends to fly with me, while we're at it we can work out lol because you literally like shot put the dang plane...

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LP44_8sR8QQ[/media]
Old 12-01-2008, 04:28 AM
ministeve2003
Class Clown

Originally Posted by Twmaster View Post
Why not do that? That is exactly what comes with many radio sets that do not have nicads and would be installed in a nitro plane, car, truck etc. or sailplane.

4 dry cells = 6VDC. Well within the operating voltage of just about every common RX and servo in existence.
Sorry I misread... yes the AAA holder will work the same as an rx pack.... I did not want him blowing up an rx... the last guy I saw doing the wrong thing with batterys and his rx... ended up plugging lipo balance taps into his rx.... and you can guess what happened there....

SK
Old 12-01-2008, 04:35 AM
Twmaster

Originally Posted by ministeve2003 View Post
... the last guy I saw doing the wrong thing with batterys and his rx... ended up plugging lipo balance taps into his rx.... and you can guess what happened there....

Ooops!