Aileron servos move same direction - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Aileron servos move same direction

Old 11-24-2008, 02:58 AM
Capt Easy
Super Contributor

Default Aileron servos move same direction

Both aileron servos operate in the same direction. I'm using a Y harness with Spektrum Dx6i Tx plugged into the aileron position in an Ar 6200 Rcv. I think it's probably a programming issue but I've checked the settings and everyting looks correct.

I'm still new and any help is much apprecitated .
Old 11-24-2008, 03:21 AM
Twmaster

That is the correct operation if plugged into a Y harness. If all you want is the servos to operate in different directions move the arm on the servo working backwards from what you need to the other side of the servo. (if the arm points to the left side of the servo take arm off servo and put on pointing to the right)

Now, a more sophisticated way to fix this is to enable flaperon mixing in your DX6i and remove the Y harness. Then plug the right servo into channel 2 and the left into channel 6. (check your manual to see if I have the right and left in the correct ports)

You should then have the ability to reverse either or both servos and have independent trim via your radio for each servo.

Consult your manual. It should have info on how to do this.

Hope that helps.
Old 11-24-2008, 03:39 AM
Capt Easy
Super Contributor

Everything is physically connected identically the same as it had been previously on prior build on this plane and the ailerons worked okay. Both servos arms face outboard as before. If I move one servo arm to the oppposite side of the servo then it won't line up with the control horn on the aileron as it should.
Also I'd prefer not to use the flapperon option right now...
Thanks
Old 11-24-2008, 04:06 AM
Twmaster

So what did you change to make this different?
Old 11-24-2008, 04:27 AM
groundrushesup
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Capt Easy View Post
Everything is physically connected identically the same as it had been previously on prior build on this plane and the ailerons worked okay. Both servos arms face outboard as before. If I move one servo arm to the oppposite side of the servo then it won't line up with the control horn on the aileron as it should.
Also I'd prefer not to use the flapperon option right now...
Thanks

Is this the exact same Y harness from the previous Gee Bee, Dick? If it is a reversing harness, that's your problem. A standard Y - given the orientation of the servos - should produce the desired result.

Having a 5 channel Rx I thought you had opted for the Flaperon setting, even though you did not configure flaps.

Got me over a barrel.
Old 11-24-2008, 04:34 AM
Dorsal
If it Flies, I love it!

If they are both rotating the same direction, with the servos mounted, one arm is moving toward the trailing edge, while the other is moving away from the trailing edge, right?
So, what's the problem? Just hook up the linkage and the ailerons will go in opposite directions.
Old 11-24-2008, 04:38 AM
Capt Easy
Super Contributor

Nothing is different that I can tell. Never used the flapperon option. Same Y harness. I do have an extra harness maybe I'll try that and see what happens? Can't see why it would though. Something isn't right tha's all I know.
Old 11-24-2008, 04:40 AM
groundrushesup
Super Contributor

Nothing is different that I can tell. Never used the flapperon option. Same Y harness. I do have an extra harness maybe I'll try that and see what happens? Can't see why it would though. Something isn't right tha's all I know.
Is one of these servos the one you rebuilt?
Old 11-24-2008, 04:46 AM
Capt Easy
Super Contributor

Coorect - the HS-55. Swapped out the POT with one that had a bad gear.....
Old 11-24-2008, 04:48 AM
groundrushesup
Super Contributor

is it possible to connect another servo to that Y and see if it moves in the same direction?
Old 11-24-2008, 04:55 AM
Capt Easy
Super Contributor

Good idea.. I don't have any spares so I could swap out the rudder or elevator servo or a servo from another plane.
Be back later...
Old 11-24-2008, 05:19 AM
Twmaster

Ok, then you DID change something....

Capt, It's kinda important that you mention important things like the fact that this setup was working as you wanted it to previously. Just posting as you did without that bit of somewhat important information makes it harder to get you the help you ask for.

I and others are always happy to help. Just be sure to paint the entire picture.

Old 11-24-2008, 08:19 AM
Capt Easy
Super Contributor

Thumbs up lessons learned

Apparently the SG-90 servo was the problem. It'll work okay but they must be programmed differently than the HS-55's. Somebody probably could explain it better than me. All I know is when I swapped the HS-55 rudder servo out with the SG-90 aileron servo the aileron performed perfectly.
The SG-90 rotated opposite the desired direction when installed on the rudder so it had to be programed in "reverse" through my Tx. (I tried setting the servo arm opposite but there wasn't enough clearance between it and the bottom surface of the rudder skin.)

Another problem I was not prepared for were the SG-90 leads being about 4" shorter than HS-55 leads. As a result I had to temporily add another 12" servo extension to reach the RX connection.
After all that everything check out good.

I plan on relacing the SG-90 soon as I can with another HS-55 and remove that other 12" extension.

My appollogy for not being more specific in the problem description. I was told the two servos would be compatable so I really didn't give that much thought. I'll try do better next time.

A few good lessons learned here for me anyhow. Thanks to all very much for your interest and help.

Dick
Old 11-24-2008, 09:23 AM
slipstick
Super Contributor

That would be the SG90 servo that you didn't mention you were mixing up with HS55 servos ?

As you've now learned it's quite normal for servos of different makes to move in opposite directions.That's not usually a real problem but ailerons are the place where it's a really good idea to use two IDENTICAL servos.

Steve
Old 11-24-2008, 04:33 PM
Twmaster

Exactly. When I replaced the three stock cyclic servos in my Blade 400 with Hitec HS56HB servos I had to reverse all three channels for them to function correctly.
Old 11-24-2008, 05:07 PM
Rodneh

Different brands of servos often turn in the opposite directions. for instance, Hitec and Futaba turn in opposite directions. You can also buy servos already wired to reverse their normal direction, you can even request such from the manufacturer. Just replacing the pot in an old servo will not reverse the direction they turn, you would also have to reverse the motor wires then it would work in reverse.
Old 07-18-2011, 09:04 PM
jjsink

Default having same aileron problem

I'm having the same aileron problem with an Airfield 800mm P-40 Tiger I got from Nitroplanes. When I move the Tx aileron stick Left, both ailerons move Up. When I move the stick Right they both go down.
Got an Airfield 800mm F4U Corsair from them in the same week. The ailerons on the Corsair work as desired: one up, other down.
Since the guts of both planes are identical, I switched out Y-wire, then receiver, then tried other "RTF" transmitter between Corsair and Tiger... same bad result (same movement). Nitroplanes said it was a defective Y-wire and sent me a new one... no help.
I even connected the Tiger wing to the Corsair connection... both ailerons still moved in same direction.
Could it be that there should be two DIFFERENT servos on the wing?
Thanks,
Joe
Old 07-19-2011, 01:18 AM
dumo01
dumo01

JJ

Can you post a picture of the wing so we can see the servos? Is there any way that both of the servos were installed facing the same way, with the shaft of both servos pointed towards the same side of the airplane? Usually the servos are installed with the shaft of the servo pointed towards the wing tip of the wing they are on. The opposite installation of the servos give you opposite control surface deflection when each servo gets the same electrical signal.
From what I know it is unusual to use a Y connector that does anything more than pass the same signal to both servos
Old 07-19-2011, 07:04 AM
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by jjsink View Post
Could it be that there should be two DIFFERENT servos on the wing?
Thanks,
Joe
Joe,

Yes this could be it (as could servo orientation as noted earlier)... Servos can and sometimes are made in right and left hand rotation. This used to be the only way to reverse direction before the days of servo reversers on the Tx

You could fix it cheaply and easily by using a servo reversing Y lead. Alternatively if you find that the servos are opposite handed you may perhaps be able to swap an aileron servo for a rudder or elevator servo and get the direction of movement required.

Steve
Old 07-19-2011, 05:20 PM
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

Just be careful what reverser you use with Spectrum. It's in the manual not to use them, but doesn't explain why, and I've seen a problem story or 2 here in the forums. There have been some successfully used ones. I have one in my Dynam Turbojet for the flaps. I don't have the link now, but I can get it tonight. I e-mailed the company where I got it, and the guy who replied says he's used it on one of his planes over 30 flight no problems.
Old 07-19-2011, 10:31 PM
jjsink

Default Both Ailerons move in same direction.

Originally Posted by dumo01 View Post
JJ

Can you post a picture of the wing so we can see the servos? Is there any way that both of the servos were installed facing the same way, with the shaft of both servos pointed towards the same side of the airplane? Usually the servos are installed with the shaft of the servo pointed towards the wing tip of the wing they are on. The opposite installation of the servos give you opposite control surface deflection when each servo gets the same electrical signal.
From what I know it is unusual to use a Y connector that does anything more than pass the same signal to both servos
D,
I have 3 pics to post, hope I can do it.
The shaft of each servos points to the wing tip they're on.
Servos are both labeled SZEMO10 010028401.
The "Y" wire that came with the plane and the one Nitroplanes sent me and the one from the Corsair are identically wired.
I pried one of the servos out of the wing flipped it front to back (after the pics were taken); unscrewed the control arm so it is once again pointing up and tried it.... no go, both ailerons still run in the same direction.
Thanks for your help HOW DO YOU THANK SOMEONE IN THIS FORUM?
Joe
oops, don't have enough posts to insert a picture.
Please view on my Flickr page user "jjsink"
So sorry... won't let me post links to my Flickr account either.
If you go to Flickr and Search for Airfield 800mm you'll find 'em.
Old 07-19-2011, 11:07 PM
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

The solution has just dawned on me!

You have a 6 channel Tx and Rx with flaperon mixing.. you dont need to use a 'Y' lead.

Plug the right aileron servo directly into the aileron port on the Rx.. Plug the left aileron into to Aux port on the Rx. You may need a couple of servo extension cables to reach the Rx.

Program the Tx for flaperon mixing (instructions in the manual). If required you can now individually reverse each servo by using the servo reverse function on the aileron and aux channels to get the ailerons moving in the direction required. This also gives the advantage of being able to program in individual aileron trims and aileron differential, and use the ailerons as flaps if you wanted (I'd not advise it).. a MUCH better solution than a Y-lead.
Old 07-19-2011, 11:21 PM
jjsink

Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
The solution has just dawned on me!

You have a 6 channel Tx and Rx with flaperon mixing.. you dont need to use a 'Y' lead.

Plug the right aileron servo directly into the aileron port on the Rx.. Plug the left aileron into to Aux port on the Rx. You may need a couple of servo extension cables to reach the Rx.

Program the Tx for flaperon mixing (instructions in the manual). If required you can now individually reverse each servo by using the servo reverse function on the aileron and aux channels to get the ailerons moving in the direction required. This also gives the advantage of being able to program in individual aileron trims and aileron differential, and use the ailerons as flaps if you wanted (I'd not advise it).. a MUCH better solution than a Y-lead.
Thanks, JetPlaneFlyer,
That's an excellent idea, but won't work in this case. The Airfield 800mm Tiger warbird I bought is RTF it came with a 4-ch 2.4 GHz transmitter (by Airfield, Futaba format) and 4-ch receiver.
Joe
Old 07-19-2011, 11:26 PM
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by jjsink View Post
Thanks, JetPlaneFlyer,
That's an excellent idea, but won't work in this case. The Airfield 800mm Tiger warbird I bought is RTF it came with a 4-ch 2.4 GHz transmitter (by Airfield, Futaba format) and 4-ch receiver.
Joe
Doh1.. sorry, i picked up someones comment on Spectrum and saw Dx6i mentioned somewhere in the thread and thought that was what you were using - I should have read more carefully. The reversing Y-lead is probably the way to go.

Steve
Old 07-19-2011, 11:37 PM
jjsink

's OK, thanks for your interest.

Quick Reply: Aileron servos move same direction

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.09893 seconds with 11 queries