Cellpro 4s: What's up with _my_ charger?! - Page 2 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Batteries & Chargers Discuss Li-P, Li-Ion, NiMh, Nicad battery technology and the chargers that juice 'em up!

Cellpro 4s: What's up with _my_ charger?!

Old 11-13-2008, 07:36 PM
  #26  
Fly Time
Ask me how I know
 
Fly Time's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Renton, WA
Posts: 2,142
Default

Originally Posted by d&mrc View Post
Okay, just three more questions (sorry) First, why does the ambient temperature affect how much a battery should be charged? Second, will it do all this stuff with nicad and nimh packs? Third, right now my packs take about an hour to charge (though I usually charge at under 1c, making charge times about 1 1/2 hours). let's just assume my packs are healthy. Shuld charge times with the Cellpro be similar, shorter, or longer?
I'm sure the temerature affects the chemistry of a charging battery, though I could not explain how. I do know that a lipo battery will not discharge as efficiently at low temerature, and can be damaged if discharged at an overly high temerature, so it makes sense that the same would hold true for charging.

The CellPro 4S only charges lipo and A123 batteries, up to 4 cells. You will need another charger for other types. The 10s may do more, but not sure.

The 4S balance charges my 2200mAh lipos in as little as 45 minutes, though usually a little longer. My un-healthiest battery (2500mAh) took about 2 hours, but even that one was at 99% after about 1 hour.
Fly Time is offline  
Old 11-13-2008, 08:17 PM
  #27  
groundrushesup
Super Contributor
Thread Starter
 
groundrushesup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Pflugerville, TX
Posts: 2,338
Default

Originally Posted by Fly Time View Post
You got it. In the manual, it says the 4S will absolutely not damage your lipo battery no matter how you set it. I would take that with a grain of salt, but for the most part I trust them to make that statement. The 4S even adjusts its charge rate for ambient temerature. If it is below 55 degrees or so, it will only charge to 90% of capacity. Same for high temerature. It is pretty damn slick!

And charge times are very quick. My other charger, which is an RC Power 601BC, takes forever to balance charge, sometimes as long as 10 hours. It charges the pack first, then balances it. The 4S charges each cell individually, so often the pack is in balance all the way through the charge. It is very fast, but it really depends on the health of the individual pack as to how long it takes.

You gotta love FMA Direct. They really know how to appeal to the nerd in me lol i preordered one hahah
groundrushesup is offline  
Old 11-13-2008, 09:19 PM
  #28  
btsai
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Chandler, AZ
Posts: 55
Default

The new 4S Multi charger WILL charge all those battery types, according to the FMA web site:

http://www.fmadirect.com/new_applications/multi4.html
btsai is offline  
Old 11-13-2008, 11:21 PM
  #29  
*rider
Always Fixing Something
 
*rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Northern CA
Posts: 286
Talking 1st. time using a cellpro 4s for me today

I recently decided to make a decent investment in gear as I want to stick with this hobby. I had been using only the parkzone t-28 rtf bundled charger, today my cellpro4s & power supply combo arrived and I love it already . I got both adapters and a 12" extension as well so I can safely charge in my liposack.

My t-28 stock parkzone battery took 1854mah and all 3 cells balanced to 4.20V, this was after it entered low voltage restore mode. my bad for abusing that pack. sweet!

I also used it to 50% store my venom 1800mah 3s1p that had been discharged to approx. 32% worked great all cells balanced to 3.8ish V.

I have some e-flite, TP, Zippy-H, and Rhino packs on the way for various projects and I expect the cellpro 4s to handle them all a-ok.

Love this charger and love this site for all the knowledge I have gained from you kind folks.

Last edited by *rider; 11-13-2008 at 11:24 PM. Reason: Typo
*rider is offline  
Old 11-14-2008, 11:03 PM
  #30  
jcg1112
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 39
Default

Originally Posted by d&mrc View Post
Okay, just three more questions (sorry) First, why does the ambient temperature affect how much a battery should be charged? Second, will it do all this stuff with nicad and nimh packs? Third, right now my packs take about an hour to charge (though I usually charge at under 1c, making charge times about 1 1/2 hours). let's just assume my packs are healthy. Shuld charge times with the Cellpro bIe similar, shorter, or longer?
In the auto charge mode the 4S takes into account the starting level of the pack. So if you start out at 40% remaining capacity, then at 1C charge rate your time will be less than 1hr, at 2c it will be even less. If you manually select the charge rate, then this is what the 4S will charge at. In auto it will dynamically adjust the charge rate as it goes. I've got both the 4S and 10S and both are great chargers. If you want multi chemistry, then wait for the new 4S multi. It has even more features than the 4S.
jcg1112 is offline  
Old 07-23-2009, 07:07 AM
  #31  
groundrushesup
Super Contributor
Thread Starter
 
groundrushesup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Pflugerville, TX
Posts: 2,338
Question Cellpro Multi 4

I love my charger - it gets a real workout. In fact I am thinking of grabbing another.

But I've come across a weird bit of behavior.

When I am charging some of my 3S packs, recently I've been getting a "pack removed" error at around 88%. I stay in the same room while charging my batteries (duh) so I hear a small chirp which stops the charging. This doesn't happen on all charges, but it seems to be happening more often.


Anyone else seeing this happen?

GRU
groundrushesup is offline  
Old 07-23-2009, 02:39 PM
  #32  
dogsheep
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 185
Default

I stopped using FMA chargers in favor of Hyperion and Icharger-FMA makes great products but man, what a ill-tempered lot. When my credit card got hijacked, I had enough.
dogsheep is offline  
Old 07-23-2009, 03:00 PM
  #33  
constantCrash
prefectionist
 
constantCrash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: MN
Posts: 1,919
Default

Sorry to hijack, but It really really really wasn't FMA's fault that our cards got jacked (i got hit to) They were not initally aware of the problem because it wasn't their fault, it was a 3rd party CC handler that got hacked. FMA wasn't the only small company that got hit by it ether, I read that it affected over 1,000 small businesses. In the beginning the CC handler denied the problem which made things worse. Ether way they have fixed the problem. If that whole ordeal was anybody's fault blame your Credit card company not FMA.


Also it sounds like an e-mail to FMA support is in order.

Originally Posted by dogsheep View Post
I stopped using FMA chargers in favor of Hyperion and Icharger-FMA makes great products but man, what a ill-tempered lot. When my credit card got hijacked, I had enough.
constantCrash is offline  
Old 07-23-2009, 03:35 PM
  #34  
Azarr
Electric Junkie
 
Azarr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 258
Default

Originally Posted by groundrushesup View Post
I love my charger - it gets a real workout. In fact I am thinking of grabbing another.

But I've come across a weird bit of behavior.

When I am charging some of my 3S packs, recently I've been getting a "pack removed" error at around 88%. I stay in the same room while charging my batteries (duh) so I hear a small chirp which stops the charging. This doesn't happen on all charges, but it seems to be happening more often.


Anyone else seeing this happen?

GRU
I've had that problem also, I've been told that the software update will eliminate the problem but haven't upgraded yet.

Azarr
Azarr is offline  
Old 07-23-2009, 03:52 PM
  #35  
dogsheep
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 185
Default

Originally Posted by constantCrash View Post
Sorry to hijack, but It really really really wasn't FMA's fault that our cards got jacked (i got hit to) They were not initally aware of the problem because it wasn't their fault, it was a 3rd party CC handler that got hacked. FMA wasn't the only small company that got hit by it ether, I read that it affected over 1,000 small businesses. In the beginning the CC handler denied the problem which made things worse. Ether way they have fixed the problem. If that whole ordeal was anybody's fault blame your Credit card company not FMA.


Also it sounds like an e-mail to FMA support is in order.
Well, "fault" as a legal issue means failing to use due care: from what I have read and heard, selecting or continuing to use a "third-party" with notice that the party's security doesn't meet the industry standard likely constitutes "fault."

I don't blame my credit card company: they discovered it on the FIRST transaction and stopped it cold. And, "they" were nice to me, unlike my experiences with FMA management.

So, you have your opinions and I have mine.

I say (opine) "Credit where credit is due!"
dogsheep is offline  
Old 07-23-2009, 03:57 PM
  #36  
Howard Matos
Production Supervisor
 
Howard Matos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Frederick, MD
Posts: 77
Default

Originally Posted by groundrushesup View Post
I love my charger - it gets a real workout. In fact I am thinking of grabbing another.

But I've come across a weird bit of behavior.

When I am charging some of my 3S packs, recently I've been getting a "pack removed" error at around 88%. I stay in the same room while charging my batteries (duh) so I hear a small chirp which stops the charging. This doesn't happen on all charges, but it seems to be happening more often.


Anyone else seeing this happen?

GRU

Hi,

What firmware version of the Multi4 charger are you running? You can see the firmware version when the charger first powers up. Do you have the PC interface and have you loaded the free Charge Control Software available at:

http://www.fmadirect.com/new_applications/software/Multi4_software.html

The engineers have been working on this "Pack Removed" issue. The latest firmware fixes the problem for most customers. If you need any assistance solving this problem, I would be happy to help you in direct correspondence. You can email me at [email protected] or call me at 301-668-4280.
Howard Matos is offline  
Old 07-23-2009, 06:05 PM
  #37  
Fly Time
Ask me how I know
 
Fly Time's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Renton, WA
Posts: 2,142
Default

Originally Posted by Howard Matos View Post
Hi,

What firmware version of the Multi4 charger are you running? You can see the firmware version when the charger first powers up. Do you have the PC interface and have you loaded the free Charge Control Software available at:

http://www.fmadirect.com/new_applications/software/Multi4_software.html

The engineers have been working on this "Pack Removed" issue. The latest firmware fixes the problem for most customers. If you need any assistance solving this problem, I would be happy to help you in direct correspondence. You can email me at [email protected] or call me at 301-668-4280.
Now THIS is why I will continue to give FMA my business. Yes, the response to the credit card fiasco was a little ham fisted in the beginning. And yes, I was one of their customers whose card security was compromised. But in the end, I suffered no losses, I was compensated for my troubles, and I have a charger that is IMO the best available. Add to that customer service that includes true technical support, and it's a no-brainer that I will continue to buy from FMA Direct.
Fly Time is offline  
Old 07-23-2009, 06:10 PM
  #38  
Howard Matos
Production Supervisor
 
Howard Matos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Frederick, MD
Posts: 77
Default

Originally Posted by Fly Time View Post
Now THIS is why I will continue to give FMA my business. Yes, the response to the credit card fiasco was a little ham fisted in the beginning. And yes, I was one of their customers whose card security was compromised. But in the end, I suffered no losses, I was compensated for my troubles, and I have a charger that is IMO the best available. Add to that customer service that includes true technical support, and it's a no-brainer that I will continue to buy from FMA Direct.

Hi,

Again, much appreciated! I will pass on your comments also!
Howard Matos is offline  
Old 07-23-2009, 07:18 PM
  #39  
Modifier
"Bank and yank"
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 270
Default

I have version 1.42 Howard, should I buy the cord and update this?

Haven't had a bit of problems with the M4 charger, just curious really.

Keith.
Modifier is offline  
Old 07-24-2009, 04:44 PM
  #40  
Howard Matos
Production Supervisor
 
Howard Matos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Frederick, MD
Posts: 77
Default

Originally Posted by Modifier View Post
I have version 1.42 Howard, should I buy the cord and update this?

Haven't had a bit of problems with the M4 charger, just curious really.

Keith.

Hi,

Good question. You have the earliest production firmware. Even though you're not having problems, you might be missing out on a lot of really nice features that have been added since we initially started shipping. Check the following FAQ section for descriptions of the various firmware updates for Multi4.

http://www.fmadirect.com/faqs.htm?category=45


In addition, we have also enhanced the Charge Control Software as follows:

Version 2.11 (6-29-09) - Fixed problem loading fuel table from a 1C charge.

Version 2.10 (6-18-09) - Fixed compatibility issue with Sprint Internet CDMA cards.

Version 2.09 (6-15-09) - Balance Entire Charge can be set to No.

Version 2.08 (5-14-09) - Options update when the Charger Startup menus change them.

Version 2.07 (5-6-09) - Autostart is selectable in options.

Version 2.06 (3-11-09) - NiCd peak delay is zeroed out on the graph.

Version 2.05 (3-10-09) - Fixed USB errors when the USB is removed. Changed some minor issues in the PC software.

Version 2.04 (3-3-09) - Prevent Remote Control charge Start when in setup screens.

Version 2.03 (2-23-09) - Choose task shows current settings from line 2. Added Remote Control Start/Stop. The charger can be controlled from the PC. Requires Firmware V1.49 or higher.

Version 2.02 (2-19-09) - Added Update Library button to firmware page. Added Rockamps, Kokam and Polyquest 30C lipo presets. Fixed a stop error when double clicking the Errors Page before it opens. Shows prompt for old firmware updates.

Unlike the firmware, if you install the CCS today, you will get all the latest patches and enhancements. But to take full advantage of features like Remote Control or Auto Start, you will also need to update the firmware to a newer version. This is easily done from the Firmware tab once the CCS is loaded and you connect up the PC interface. Just click the Firmware version and choose "Update Firmware".



After you review these things, then you can make an informed decision. Let me know if you have any questions.
Howard Matos is offline  
Old 07-25-2009, 01:52 PM
  #41  
Red Scholefield
Batteries/Chargers
 
Red Scholefield's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Newberry FL
Posts: 726
Default

FMA Chargers are the chargers of choice with the electric flyers in my club. No one has had any problems with them, and they are getting better service life out of their LiPos and LiFeP04 packs.
Red Scholefield is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Murocflyer
Batteries & Chargers
59
01-22-2010 05:37 AM
Raydee
Field Equipment For Sale & WTB
13
11-15-2007 03:27 AM
Tooconceited
Field Equipment For Sale & WTB
0
08-16-2007 08:20 AM
JimClark
Motors and Speed Controllers for sale & WTB
0
06-25-2007 12:10 AM
markm75
Batteries & Chargers
0
04-14-2007 04:05 AM

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Quick Reply: Cellpro 4s: What's up with _my_ charger?!


Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.09510 seconds with 13 queries