Cellpro 4s: What's up with _my_ charger?! - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Batteries & Chargers Discuss Li-P, Li-Ion, NiMh, Nicad battery technology and the chargers that juice 'em up!

Cellpro 4s: What's up with _my_ charger?!

Old 11-06-2008, 04:39 AM
groundrushesup
Super Contributor

Default Cellpro 4s: What's up with _my_ charger?!

So I was out flying last Saturday with my friend and fellow Wattflyer Capt Easy and, being the excellent last-minute planner I am, forgot to pack my Triton Jr. charger in my kit.

Well Capt Easy brought his CellPro 4S with him to the field, and hooked up to his car battery, it charged my TP 2070mAh 3S in just a little more than a quarter of the time that my Triton Jr. does. I was a bit astounded. I must admit the Triton Jr. is my first LiPo or for that matter Ni-Mh/Cad charger ever, so I admit I am a n00b, and thought my Triton Jr. was hummin' along fine. I use a bench power tap that I made out of a 300W PC power supply, but judging by the LCD's stats on the Triton Jr. I've never had a problem there, I don't think. I use the Equinox balancer every time.

So... what is the CellPro 4S doing that my trusty Triton Jr. is not? Should I plop down the almost 90 or so bucks for the CellPro 4s + balance lead farms and shipping? Well, I'll save some back for next month on this one, but... any comments welcome

GRU
Old 11-06-2008, 04:47 AM
Figure.N9ne
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by groundrushesup View Post
So I was out flying last Saturday with my friend and fellow Wattflyer Capt Easy and, being the excellent last-minute planner I am, forgot to pack my Triton Jr. charger in my kit.

Well Capt Easy brought his CellPro 4S with him to the field, and hooked up to his car battery, it charged my TP 2070mAh 3S in just a little more than a quarter of the time that my Triton Jr. does. I was a bit astounded. I must admit the Triton Jr. is my first LiPo or for that matter Ni-Mh/Cad charger ever, so I admit I am a n00b, and thought my Triton Jr. was hummin' along fine. I use a bench power tap that I made out of a 300W PC power supply, but judging by the LCD's stats on the Triton Jr. I've never had a problem there, I don't think. I use the Equinox balancer every time.

So... what is the CellPro 4S doing that my trusty Triton Jr. is not? Should I plop down the almost 90 or so bucks for the CellPro 4s + balance lead farms and shipping? Well, I'll save some back for next month on this one, but... any comments welcome

GRU
its charging each cell individually and measuring internal resistance to know just how much amperage safely feed it to be able to charge at up to 3c. and the charger is 49.99 now so unless you need a lot of balance adapters it shouldnt be more than 70-80 dollars.
Old 11-06-2008, 05:02 AM
groundrushesup
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Yaniel View Post
its charging each cell individually and measuring internal resistance to know just how much amperage safely feed it to be able to charge at up to 3c. and the charger is 49.99 now so unless you need a lot of balance adapters it shouldnt be more than 70-80 dollars.

Yeah I figured something like that, but I used the balance taps on the CellPro. Is it that the Triton Jr. doesn't have the brains that the CellPro does? The CellPro's method is unique, or is my charger just obsolete? And I only really need 'the kit' as far as blance taps - that being the 2s/3s TP style and the 2s/3s JXT to cover my battery box. Ten bucks a piece I think.

So would you recommend the CellPro?
Old 11-06-2008, 05:05 AM
Figure.N9ne
Super Contributor

Yeah I figured something like that, but I used the balance taps on the CellPro. Is it that the Triton Jr. doesn't have the brains that the CellPro does? The CellPro's method is unique, or is my charger just obsolete? And I only really need 'the kit' as far as blance taps - that being the 2s/3s TP style and the 2s/3s JXT to cover my battery box. Ten bucks a piece I think.

100% behind it. i have 2, and plan on getting a third. everyone i fly with has one or a few too lol. your charger isnt obsolete, the cellpro is just special.
Old 11-06-2008, 05:09 AM
groundrushesup
Super Contributor

LOL well that's good enough for me. Cha-Ching!

Sheesh, I need to plant a money tree
Old 11-06-2008, 06:34 AM
gasser1933

I have both chargers. If you'll notice when your Triton Jr. is charging it is only charging at 1S. The Cellpro can charge at up to 4S. I just ordered and received one that I ordered for one of my flying buds and it was only $78 shipped, with two adapters.
I only use the Triton Jr. for charging older batteries w/o balancing adapters.

Old 11-06-2008, 03:43 PM
jcg1112

The 4S is a great charger for the price, even cheaper now that the 4S multi chemistry is almost ready to ship. The 4S will charge a 3 cell pack at up to 4 amps. I charge all my 3S 2100 and under at the 2C rate. I just purchased the 10S now that I've got planes that use 6S packs. These chargers are really plug and charge. I use the 4S on 2C auto charge and it does the rest. Doesn't get much easier!! The 10S does even more. There are more expensive chargers out there where you can dig deep into allot of parameters, but the CP's do much of this automatically. I'm not technically shy, but if the charger can do it, why not?
Old 11-06-2008, 04:09 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

I've got a 4s and a 10s and LOVE them both...

The only thing my triton gets used for now is to charge my Nimh radio flight packs.
Old 11-06-2008, 06:35 PM
groundrushesup
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by jcg1112 View Post
The 4S is a great charger for the price, even cheaper now that the 4S multi chemistry is almost ready to ship. The 4S will charge a 3 cell pack at up to 4 amps. I charge all my 3S 2100 and under at the 2C rate. I just purchased the 10S now that I've got planes that use 6S packs. These chargers are really plug and charge. I use the 4S on 2C auto charge and it does the rest. Doesn't get much easier!! The 10S does even more. There are more expensive chargers out there where you can dig deep into allot of parameters, but the CP's do much of this automatically. I'm not technically shy, but if the charger can do it, why not?

So am I correct in assuming that this regulated 'smart' charging method is not detrimental to the pack in the long run?
Old 11-06-2008, 07:31 PM
Figure.N9ne
Super Contributor

So am I correct in assuming that this regulated 'smart' charging method is not detrimental to the pack in the long run?

not a scientific test at all but i have been using mine 4s for over a year at the highest setting and have never had a pack go bad and i have well over 150 cycles on all my packs some i'd put closer to 300.
Old 11-06-2008, 09:59 PM
Tall
Josh

I have the Cellpro 4s as well and love it! Have not had any problems with it, I would recommend waiting tell the end of November and get the new multi charger, looks to have a lot more options as well as the same 4s charger.

http://www.fmadirect.com/new_applications/multi4.html
Old 11-06-2008, 11:23 PM
Castor
Castor

Bought a Cellpro 4S charger 30 days ago. Love it!!! Charges batteries in 1/2 the time in general, and provides a lot of information about the condition of the battery pack. My other charger is a thunderpower unit. its a good charger, but you must set the charge rate and it is limited to a 2C rate. The Cellpro will charge at up to a 3C rate if the battery will handle it. In general, it was a good addition to my equipment.
Old 11-12-2008, 11:22 PM
Fly Time
Ask me how I know

More love for the 4S from me! I've had mine for just a few weeks now and am VERY happy with it. It is fast, fast, fast and balances as perfectly as any charger can.

But despite how much I like it, there are a few little things that could be improved (and probably will be with the new model coming out soon).

First is that there is no digital readout of elaspsed charge time. No biggie but nice to know.

Second is that it scrolls through the menu items a little too fast. I would rather see a separate menu scrolling button that can go one item at a time.

Lastly is the storage charge mode. The pack needs to be at significantly less than 50% for it to charge in this mode. This time of year I charge my packs to 50% between flying days, which can be few and far between. If I hook up a pack that is say 42% full, the 4S is somehow tricked into thinking it is already at 50%. I have to further discharge the pack down to 30-35% before it will charge in this mode. Not sure why. Still, I really like having a storage charge option.
Old 11-13-2008, 12:55 AM
groundrushesup
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Fly Time View Post
More love for the 4S from me! I've had mine for just a few weeks now and am VERY happy with it. It is fast, fast, fast and balances as perfectly as any charger can.

But despite how much I like it, there are a few little things that could be improved (and probably will be with the new model coming out soon).

First is that there is no digital readout of elaspsed charge time. No biggie but nice to know.

Second is that it scrolls through the menu items a little too fast. I would rather see a separate menu scrolling button that can go one item at a time.

Lastly is the storage charge mode. The pack needs to be at significantly less than 50% for it to charge in this mode. This time of year I charge my packs to 50% between flying days, which can be few and far between. If I hook up a pack that is say 42% full, the 4S is somehow tricked into thinking it is already at 50%. I have to further discharge the pack down to 30-35% before it will charge in this mode. Not sure why. Still, I really like having a storage charge option.
Yeah I've been convinced that the CellPro is the way to go, but I am waiting for the new model. Can't wait to stow my Triton Jr. and start flying with a faster turnaround!
Old 11-13-2008, 01:36 AM
Fly Time
Ask me how I know

Yeah I've been convinced that the CellPro is the way to go, but I am waiting for the new model. Can't wait to stow my Triton Jr. and start flying with a faster turnaround!
I actually picked up the 4S as a back-up charger, and one that would be easy to use in the field. But now I use it more than my multi-charger. Didn't bother getting the AC adapter. I use a deep charge RV battery that I just happened to have for my pop up camper.
Old 11-13-2008, 01:40 AM
Figure.N9ne
Super Contributor

my problem is the opposite, i wish the options scrolled by faster. when i'm on 3c and need to get to 1c or 2c it seems like it takes an hour.
Old 11-13-2008, 05:33 AM
Fly Time
Ask me how I know

Hmm. They scroll by so fast on mine its hard to stop it where you want it. Sometimes it takes a couple times though to get it right.
Old 11-13-2008, 05:57 PM
d&mrc

Default Huh?

I am kind of confused here. Some of you are talking about charging at more than one c. I thought that was a very bad thing to do with lipo batteries. I was looking to get the triton jr, since it would charge everything I have, but you guys all seem to consider the cellpro 4s to be far superior. Why? It is around te same price, and the new multi version charges everything under the sun, so it is already sounding good to me, but what is so much better about it?
Old 11-13-2008, 06:02 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Nrmally charging at more than 1c is a no no. With the new technology these chargers use, measuring resistance and such, they are more capable than the older ones.

I would never dream of charging at more than 1c with my triton because for one it is not a balance charger.
Old 11-13-2008, 06:12 PM
d&mrc

Well, I have an external balancer.
Old 11-13-2008, 06:17 PM
Fly Time
Ask me how I know

Most of the other good chargers will charge a battery however you tell it to. There are usually some safety features that will prevent you doing something really dumb, like charging a 2 cell battery to 3 cell voltage, but for the most part the charger will do as it is asked. With the 4S, you tell the charger how you would LIKE to charge the battery, and it will decide the best way to do it. For example, you may tell it to charge at 3c, and it will adjust the actual amperage during the charge cycle up to a 3c rate, but only if it feels the battery is responding properly. Much of the time it may actually be charging at lower amperage than 3c. Because of the technology that allows this, there is less user input. Power up the charger, plug in the battery, and that is all. You can change the charging mode either bofore or after the charge has begun. It figures out the capacity, the number of cells, and the optimal charging rate within the parameters you have set.
Old 11-13-2008, 07:03 PM
d&mrc

Originally Posted by Fly Time View Post
Most of the other good chargers will charge a battery however you tell it to. There are usually some safety features that will prevent you doing something really dumb, like charging a 2 cell battery to 3 cell voltage, but for the most part the charger will do as it is asked. With the 4S, you tell the charger how you would LIKE to charge the battery, and it will decide the best way to do it. For example, you may tell it to charge at 3c, and it will adjust the actual amperage during the charge cycle up to a 3c rate, but only if it feels the battery is responding properly. Much of the time it may actually be charging at lower amperage than 3c. Because of the technology that allows this, there is less user input. Power up the charger, plug in the battery, and that is all. You can change the charging mode either bofore or after the charge has begun. It figures out the capacity, the number of cells, and the optimal charging rate within the parameters you have set.
Okay,let me make sure I understand. I can set the charge rate basically as high as I want, and the charger will analyze my battery, and figure out the closest rate to what I want that the battery can be safely charged. Also, it will actively monitor my pack, and lower the charge rate if it starts to have an adverse reaction? Now, will this damage my pack over time?And, will the charge time be significantly reduced?
Old 11-13-2008, 07:14 PM
Fly Time
Ask me how I know

Originally Posted by d&mrc View Post
Okay,let me make sure I understand. I can set the charge rate basically as high as I want, and the charger will analyze my battery, and figure out the closest rate to what I want that the battery can be safely charged. Also, it will actively monitor my pack, and lower the charge rate if it starts to have an adverse reaction? Now, will this damage my pack over time?And, will the charge time be significantly reduced?
You got it. In the manual, it says the 4S will absolutely not damage your lipo battery no matter how you set it. I would take that with a grain of salt, but for the most part I trust them to make that statement. The 4S even adjusts its charge rate for ambient temerature. If it is below 55 degrees or so, it will only charge to 90% of capacity. Same for high temerature. It is pretty damn slick!

And charge times are very quick. My other charger, which is an RC Power 601BC, takes forever to balance charge, sometimes as long as 10 hours. It charges the pack first, then balances it. The 4S charges each cell individually, so often the pack is in balance all the way through the charge. It is very fast, but it really depends on the health of the individual pack as to how long it takes.
Old 11-13-2008, 07:23 PM
d&mrc

Okay, just three more questions (sorry) First, why does the ambient temperature affect how much a battery should be charged? Second, will it do all this stuff with nicad and nimh packs? Third, right now my packs take about an hour to charge (though I usually charge at under 1c, making charge times about 1 1/2 hours). let's just assume my packs are healthy. Shuld charge times with the Cellpro be similar, shorter, or longer?
Old 11-13-2008, 07:34 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

No the 4s will only do lipos.

I can charge a 2200mah pack on my 4s in about 25 minutes.

Quick Reply: Cellpro 4s: What's up with _my_ charger?!

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.10042 seconds with 9 queries