electric motors - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

electric motors

Old 09-29-2008, 09:54 PM
rlkaos
Kaos

Default electric motors

Hi;
Just joined this forum. I am trying to determine how I can use a motor I already have in another plane. The only specs I have are weight92g Rm 44m0hm rpm/1 V1240 current 26 a. This is a CZ PJS motor.

Can anyone help?
Old 09-29-2008, 10:44 PM
fr4nk1yn
^_^

Is it an inrunner? If so is it in a gearbox? Outrunner?

Off hand I'd say build, or buy, a similar plane.
Old 09-29-2008, 11:00 PM
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

It sounds like it's close to the park 480 from E-Flite. Your motor is a little heavier, but only by about 5g. Like fr4nk1yn was asking, is this an outrunner or inrunner motor? If it is like the 480, then you got a motor that can pretty much power any plane weighing 20-35oz and requiring 275 watts of power.
Old 09-29-2008, 11:17 PM
Fly Time
Ask me how I know

Maybe you can find your motor here (the pictures might help you identify it). If so, the specs for each motor will give you recommended prop size and model weight, so that should give you a good idea of what kind of plane your motor is designed to fly.
Old 09-30-2008, 02:50 AM
rlkaos
Kaos

The motor is an outrunner. I am wondering if you look for an airplane weighing under 1000grams and is aerobatic if that would work?

All of my years of building aircraft have been in glow engines. A foam 3D was my first electric. I do not like foam at least as in this plane. Foam surfaces warped, and it just looked ugly.
There are quite a few small arf that are balsa and ply and a quick build. I am looking for one that I can put all of this equipment from the foamy into.
Old 09-30-2008, 09:04 PM
Fly Time
Ask me how I know

Originally Posted by rlkaos View Post
The motor is an outrunner. I am wondering if you look for an airplane weighing under 1000grams and is aerobatic if that would work?

All of my years of building aircraft have been in glow engines. A foam 3D was my first electric. I do not like foam at least as in this plane. Foam surfaces warped, and it just looked ugly.
There are quite a few small arf that are balsa and ply and a quick build. I am looking for one that I can put all of this equipment from the foamy into.
The kv of that motor is pretty high at 1240. A motor like that is meant to swing a smaller prop, probably 8 or 9 inches, but will spin it fast. It is probably not a good motor for a 3D airframe, but it would be good in a fast aerobatic sport plane.

The rule of thumb for sport performance is 100 watts per pound. That will give you good aerobatic performance, but probably not unlimited vertical or strong hovering ability. For really good performance, 150-200 watts per pound is what you'll need. 1000 grams is just over 2 lbs, and your motor should put out about 280 watts (26 amps x 11.1volts). That is roughly 130 watts per pound, so performance should be pretty good. If you can find something that is about 700 grams, then performance should be really good!
Old 10-07-2008, 09:13 PM
rlkaos
Kaos

Default electric motors

Thanks for your reply.
I do appreciate your input.
I have ordered a Ultra Mini Stick(25oz), which should work with all of the equipment and motor that I have.
The stick appealed to me because you can put flaps on it and I would like to have a plane I can fly from the grass field around my house.
Right now I have to travel 25 mi. to my club field to fly.

I bought the motor from Hobby Lobby in a foam airplane that was a 3D aircraft and used a 12 x 7 prop. Anyway, foam is not my favorite building material.

So I will let you know how it flies.

Thanks
kaos
Old 10-07-2008, 11:05 PM
Fly Time
Ask me how I know

Originally Posted by rlkaos View Post
Thanks for your reply.
I do appreciate your input.
I have ordered a Ultra Mini Stick(25oz), which should work with all of the equipment and motor that I have.
The stick appealed to me because you can put flaps on it and I would like to have a plane I can fly from the grass field around my house.
Right now I have to travel 25 mi. to my club field to fly.

I bought the motor from Hobby Lobby in a foam airplane that was a 3D aircraft and used a 12 x 7 prop. Anyway, foam is not my favorite building material.

So I will let you know how it flies.

Thanks
kaos
I don't have one, but everyone seems to love their Slow Sticks.

A 12x7 prop seems pretty big for a 1200kv motor, but that is assuming you are running it on a 3-cell lipo. If it's a 2-cell battery then that sounds about right. In any case, I think that motor will fly a SS just fine..

Edit: I just re-read and see that you are talking about a Ultra Mini Stick, not a GWS Slow Stick. I think they are very similar, but not certain.