Flying the Super Cub - Page 6 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

Flying the Super Cub

Old 08-21-2008, 11:36 AM
cbatters
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by ray54 View Post
ok guys don't argue here is what happen. I hand Launch at full throttle in to the wind it banks to the left looses lift and crashes this is all with out input from me. The CG looks ok the tail drops a little but from what I have seen in articles this is ok. I may not be hand launhing it right I am new.But when I taxi it in the road it also go's to the left so you may be on to something there. And I never get 40 or 50 ft from a hand launch with out power more like 10 ft

Ray
If you are not getting 40-50' from a hand launch without power then you are not launching hard enough. And tf the plane is above your head when it banks left and looses lift it is because it is stalling.

Try adding 2-3 clicks down elevator and launching level. (LOTS of new pilots add too much extra up elevator trim to get airborn but actually cause their planes to stall, roll and plow head first into the ground.)

Last edited by cbatters; 08-21-2008 at 11:53 AM.
Old 08-21-2008, 12:00 PM
cbatters
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by 1320fastback View Post

Originally Posted by Fly Time
After it leaves your hand, immediately get on the stick and be prepared to adjust the plane's trajectory.
This is a key point. You are flying the plane, it will not fly itself especially on takeoff.
I politely disagree. A well trimmed plane can absolutely fly itself at least for a short distance on takeoff either powered or unpowered. (One of the best lessons I learned from flying a 2 channel Commander II which does not have elevator control. I still recommend 2 Channel Commander II to people that are trying to teach themsleves. Much more time flying and less time crashing and repairing. Zero risk of overcontrol on elevator if you do not have a stick to control it.)

Trimmed correctly the SuperCub can be tossed with or without power and will glide and land itself. (Assuming zero of light wind which is pre-requisite for early flights)

As stated earlier, biggest risk is too much up elevator trim or input on stick which will cause plane to stall, roll and crash.
Old 08-21-2008, 02:25 PM
1320fastback

At full throttle though?
Old 08-21-2008, 03:46 PM
cbatters
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by 1320fastback View Post
At full throttle though?
Nope. SuperCub will glide fine if properly thrown with no throttle. And I lied in my earlier quote. Supercub will easily glide 50' + from firm toss. (Best throw this AM when I went out to test was a scratch over 100' - 35 paces. I flared out using the elevator control to stretch out the flight)

I would start by setting the elevator aligned with horizontal stabilizer and add a couple more clicks down if the plane rises up above head level on launch.

The advantage of trimmming with no engine is that the plane has less speed and altitude. MUCH less damage from 10' than from 50' if it stalls.

Also a great way to get a bunch of short no stress flights under your belt.

After you get launching sorted out. Add 10 seconds of throttle to extend flight landing straight ahead.

Next thing you know you will be flying circles around the field.

Clint
Old 08-21-2008, 03:49 PM
Fly Time
Ask me how I know

Originally Posted by CHEECH View Post
I unwarped the wing almost a month ago, and have not returned the SC to the sky since.

Cheech
What's up with that Cheech?! You are supposed to FLY your airplanes after you fix them
Old 08-21-2008, 05:02 PM
jksecunda
Jeff

I take it back...

Last edited by jksecunda; 08-22-2008 at 12:36 AM.
Old 08-21-2008, 05:25 PM
Fly Time
Ask me how I know

Originally Posted by jksecunda View Post
I hate it when people say stuff like this when I'm struggling...
What is hard about ROG with the Super Cub is making it track straight while on the ground. Scale looking takeoffs are the hardest. Especially on pavement. It tracks better on soft ground, such as short grass or baseball diamond infield dirt.

Here's a method that works every time regardless of the surface, though it isn't exactly scale: 1) set plane on ground pointing into wind 2) apply full up elevator 3) quickly apply 100% full power. Don't ease it on - just jam the throttle forward. The SC will jump into the air within 5-10 feet with a fully charged battery. With full up elevator, it will quickly climb toward a stall, so you have to level it off into a gradual climb immediately after it leaves the ground.
Old 08-21-2008, 06:14 PM
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

Looks to be too much hostility in this thread. I don't give up on helping people out, but it's just gone a little too far. Now it seems our friend jeff is getting upset because someone mentioned they had an easy time with the SC. I'll check on this thread from time to time, but I think I'm about done here. Take it easy guys. Good luck Jeff. If you want advice from those who makes sense to you, you can always PM us. Good winds friends.
Old 08-21-2008, 06:23 PM
Fly Time
Ask me how I know

I for one am taking no offense at a couple of frowny faces thrown in for sarcastic effect. At least that's how I read it.

And if he really is mad, he's only mad at Buckshot. IMO, completely understandable.

Old 08-21-2008, 06:41 PM
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

Well if it's just sarcasm. I'm not sure what it is, but I'm just uncomfortable posting here...that's NEVER happened to me before. I think maybe I need to take a break from the hobby for a while. Take care guys.
Old 08-21-2008, 07:16 PM
ray54

Hey guys I didn't want any one to get mad just wanted a little help sorry
Old 08-21-2008, 09:04 PM
Bub Steve
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by ray54 View Post
Hey guys I didn't want any one to get mad just wanted a little help sorry
Ray:on't be,, I don't think any harm was meant, we all post before we think sometimes!!(Guilty as sin here myself), Don't get discouraged, we'll get ya go'in,,your bub, steve
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	petty an red 635.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	108.8 KB
ID:	76015   Click image for larger version

Name:	petty an red 093.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	177.7 KB
ID:	76016  
Old 08-21-2008, 10:05 PM
CHEECH
IN THRUST WE TRUST

Originally Posted by Fly Time View Post
What's up with that Cheech?! You are supposed to FLY your airplanes after you fix them
I know man, maybe I have become a little gunshy. Anyways, 110 degree weather outside, not even the lizards are flying their RC planes. Too darn hot brother.

I told wingspann I was going to slap some lights on my SC since Im on the night shift so I can fly. Excuses Excuses!

Cheech
Old 08-21-2008, 10:37 PM
ggunners

Ray,

Almost all the posts assume your SC is stock perfect. It might not be. My first airplane had a nasty habit of getting out of alignment after every flight.

As you might guess, this was very frustrating for me until I figured out that I had to check the control surfaces to make sure they were all square before flying after a landing.

Without being there, we cannot tell if your airplane is square and true. At this point, it sounds like there is something wrong with the model.

The wing has to be centered, right-side up (don't laugh) and be equal in height and twist for both sides. Some flyers put a couple of dots on the leading and trailing edges of the wing centers to line up with marks at the center of the fuselage. If the wing is not squared up, the airplane will not fly straight and level. Once mounted, the wing should be tight enough that it is difficult to move it without some effort, otherwise, you might need some new rubberbands. Weak rubberbands and the airplane will not fly right.

Check the entire tail section (elevator/rudder) and make sure it is on tightly with no wiggling and all control surfaces move in the correct direction. Both surfaces should be free of creases or they might need some packing tape reinforcement or replacement. The elevator should be level with the horizontal stab. The rudder should be level with the vertical stab. If they are not, then you may have slipped a servo or have a servo rod that needs adjustment. If these surfaces are not square, the airplane will not fly right.

Since others have had issues with the SC radio, do a range check by putting the antenna down on your radio and walking up to 100 feet from the model while moving the rudder/elevator controls. If the control surfaces do exactly what you want, the transmitter/receiver are probably OK. If the control surfaces go crazy, either transmitter or receiver could be bad.

A square and true airplane wants to fly itself. If not square, the airplane will crash every time.

If you are able to take pictures of your airplane and share them with us, someone might see a problem.

-- ggunners
Old 08-21-2008, 10:42 PM
BatteriesIncluded
Ouch

Originally Posted by dk_aero View Post
Great job! I've been lurking reading your threads since I joined... Thanks again Ed!

(we may need to chat about the throttle/elevator speed control thing someday tho'... )

BTW, has anyone here tried making their own anamometer?

http://www.instructables.com/id/Digi...er-wind-meter/
This one looks easier to make and can be done with stuff on hand:

http://www.instructables.com/id/East...d-Speed-Meter/

or you can use the beaufort scale:

http://www.unc.edu/~rowlett/units/scales/beaufort.html
Old 08-21-2008, 10:42 PM
jksecunda
Jeff

Originally Posted by Angler-Hi View Post
Looks to be too much hostility in this thread. I don't give up on helping people out, but it's just gone a little too far. Now it seems our friend jeff is getting upset because someone mentioned they had an easy time with the SC. I'll check on this thread from time to time, but I think I'm about done here. Take it easy guys. Good luck Jeff. If you want advice from those who makes sense to you, you can always PM us. Good winds friends.
OK OK. Sarcasim is not read well in a post. I meant nothing by my remark. Some poeple have an easier time doing things than others. I understand humor is hard to read when you can't see the persons face. Sorry for the confusion.
Old 08-21-2008, 10:44 PM
jksecunda
Jeff

Originally Posted by Fly Time View Post
I for one am taking no offense at a couple of frowny faces thrown in for sarcastic effect. At least that's how I read it.

And if he really is mad, he's only mad at Buckshot. IMO, completely understandable.

I'm not really mad.

I'm a happy guy...see...

I tried launching my plane without power and it only went about 20 feet. Then nosedive. It seems to be balanced.
What's up with that?

Last edited by jksecunda; 08-21-2008 at 11:16 PM. Reason: add stuff
Old 08-21-2008, 11:19 PM
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

Sorry guys. I think I owe everyone here an apology. Most of the frustration is on my part, and there's no reason to let it rub off here on WF. My deepest apologies. Take care.
Old 08-22-2008, 12:19 AM
Zoo
The Black Baron

Default re:

Agreed...
Originally Posted by Angler-Hi View Post
Old 08-22-2008, 12:28 AM
BUCKSHOT

Not to anger anyone....
I taught myself to fly with a supercub.(still have one)..i'm now an ama contest director for our club & we happen to have a 400' asphalt runway so i guess i just like scale take offs .i fly everything from super cub to ducted fan jets & i just started last october.i know lots of guys who hand launch.....good for you.
Not my thing.....i put gear on a pz spitfire so i wouldn't have to hand launch !
Old 08-22-2008, 12:36 AM
BUCKSHOT

The first thing i did was pull the jumper & use a 3s 850 lipo ...
Vertical take-off
Old 08-22-2008, 12:54 AM
cbatters
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by jksecunda View Post
I'm not really mad.

I'm a happy guy...see...

I tried launching my plane without power and it only went about 20 feet. Then nosedive. It seems to be balanced.
What's up with that?
The fact that it went 20' then nose dived says it was stalling - likely because there is some up elevator dialed in. (Would likely do the same thing with power, just from higher altitude at faster speed.)

Add a couple clicks down elevator and throw harder. Plane should not rise much above head level. Just before it lands you can pull back a little on the stick and flare the landing.
Old 08-22-2008, 01:03 AM
jksecunda
Jeff

Originally Posted by cbatters View Post
The fact that it went 20' then nose dived says it was stalling - likely because there is some up elevator dialed in. (Would likely do the same thing with power, just from higher altitude at faster speed.)

Add a couple clicks down elevator and throw harder. Plane should not rise much above head level. Just before it lands you can pull back a little on the stick and flare the landing.
I know this makes no sense to me but if you dial in down elevator wont it go down when you throw it? When it stalls, it does not necessarly mean that the engine fails, does it? If the engine is not on, then how can it stall? Questions, questions. Whats a flyer to do? I still dont get all the flying verbage.
Old 08-22-2008, 01:06 AM
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

The motor doesn't have to be on to stall. A plane stalles because it doesn't have enough airspeed or thrust to maintain left. That's why when you try to go vertical with a plane that doesn't have a strong enough motor, it will stall.
Old 08-22-2008, 01:23 AM
jksecunda
Jeff

I just went out in the yard and tried to fly the plane with no power. I DID put the battery in the plane. It went about 20ft and went down. It seems balanced, about center of the wing, leans forward a little. Oh well. Easy to get discouraged in this hobby.

Quick Reply: Flying the Super Cub

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.10180 seconds with 13 queries