Flying the Super Cub - Page 4 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

Flying the Super Cub

Old 08-19-2008, 11:17 AM
  #76  
cbatters
Super Contributor
 
cbatters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,050
Default

Originally Posted by airmail wf View Post
Well lets see I'm trying to get the new flyer to not be afraid of the wind you on the other hand are telling him he is going to crash if he flys in the wind. I didn't know there was a thing such as "Wind Bravado" Learn something new everyday. I didn't tell anybody to go out and fly by them selfs in strong wind. I said my students (that means students on trainer cords) fly in the wind and sometimes strong wind. I also said if you are a beginner you might not want to fly in strong wind. I also encouraged the young man to get a instructor. The SC is very capable to fly in wind. It is not underpowered plus the wind if it 's coming down the runway can really help with landings. So many RC pilots are afraid to fly with any wind they are missing alot of fun. I think this comes from learning from the start to only fly in calm conditions.

Let me make myself perfectly clear. If you are determined to teach yourself to fly without an instructor your best chance is in low wind conditions but as soon as you can keep the plane up in the air and land don't be afraid to fly in some wind. If you can find a instructor go with that and ask the instructor if he is willing to teach you if there are windy conditions. If he says no then find one who says sure he can teach you how to fly in wind. You will be flying more and looking at the wind meter less.

By the way I taught myself how to fly many years ago. Being a dumpa$$ I flew in some really strong wind and yes I did crash a couple of planes but you know what I learned to fly in the wind and I'm not afraid to fly in wind to this day. I still can remember the time I hand launched a 1/2A foam Cub into the wind. It went about two feet in front me and just stayed there (little windy) I turned downwind and the cub went like it had jets on it. Turned upwind and worked it back to me it ran out of fuel right in front of me and sat on the ground. That was the plane I learned on. I had been flying about a month. You never know what you can do till you try. After that wind never bothered me again. OH oh there goes that "Wind Bravado" again.
Well lets see I'm trying to get the new flyer to not be afraid of the wind you on the other hand are telling him he is going to crash if he flys in the wind.
100% correct - I am trying to to get new pilots to avoid wind to increase their chances of success. (Especially someone who obviously does not have an instructor in tow.)

Thanks for sharing your early stories about crashing in too much wind - we all have them but I wished I had started on a calm day.
cbatters is offline  
Old 08-19-2008, 02:21 PM
  #77  
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor
 
Angler-Hi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Ft Hood, Tx
Posts: 4,137
Default

Ok guys, if we're gonna disagree, let's do it with a little bit of tact. Remember that the real purpose of this thread is to help our new friend Jeff. There's nothing wrong with disagreeing, but we don't have to get too sarcastic with it. I honestly believe that we are ALL friends here. So let's just agree to disagree.

Feel better airmail wf? Now that we've vented, let's concentrate on getting Jeff comfortable with his plane and getting him back in the air. Agreed?
Angler-Hi is offline  
Old 08-19-2008, 02:36 PM
  #78  
airmail wf
Super Contributor
 
airmail wf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Pittsburgh, Pa.
Posts: 1,053
Default

Originally Posted by cbatters View Post
Well lets see I'm trying to get the new flyer to not be afraid of the wind you on the other hand are telling him he is going to crash if he flys in the wind.
100% correct - I am trying to to get new pilots to avoid wind to increase their chances of success. (Especially someone who obviously does not have an instructor in tow.)

Thanks for sharing your early stories about crashing in too much wind - we all have them but I wished I had started on a calm day.
Sir if you read the story it was not about crashing it was about a successful flight in very high wind condition. I love it when people twist things around to fit their scenario. You obviously had a bad experience learning to fly with to much wind. For that I feel sorry for you. But that doesn't mean everyone will. I repeat I'm not telling anyone to fly on a very windy day I'm just saying you can use the wind to your benefit and not to be afraid of it. I hope that is clear enough for you.
airmail wf is offline  
Old 08-19-2008, 03:10 PM
  #79  
Sabrehawk
Member
 
Sabrehawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Seattle, Wa. USA
Posts: 647
Smile

Hehehe, yeah poor ole Jeff is probably sittin there thinkin "Boy what have I started here?"

So, back to the SC and flying it. I'd like to add that in the case of the SC, one should avoid exessive winds with if for no other reason than it's a 3 channel ship with only a rudder for steering. Which leaves it somewhat more susceptible to the effects of the higher winds. Add to that a big ole flat bottomed wing, again very susceptible the windy stuff.
Especially choppy, gusty, turbulent air which changes direction and speed constantly, and there are updrafts and down drafts.
Having only a rudder it's very difficult to compensate for all this quickly and effectively and the response is always a bit delayed with rudder only.

So, IMO any 3ch ship should simply not be flown in winds greater than 5-8mph, any more is asking for trouble and trouble is something a beginner doesnt need and he will learn very little by attempting it. In fact the only thing he'll learn is that he shouldnt have went up in the first place.
And probabaly will wind up with a busted plane to show for it.

There is simply no shame whatsoever in staying on the ground when the condtions exceed the plane and pilots ability.
It's just "plane" smart.
Sabrehawk is offline  
Old 08-19-2008, 03:53 PM
  #80  
airmail wf
Super Contributor
 
airmail wf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Pittsburgh, Pa.
Posts: 1,053
Default

Sabrehawk, You are right this is about Jeff. I didn't mean to hi jack the tread. I just wanted to show there are two sides to every story. The SC is a very capable plane and can be flown is some wind. I'm done. I hope Jeff becomes a very successful RC pilot and can fly in all conditions.

Jeff, Do what you feel comforable with since you are going it alone you must decide what is best for...no one else. I have seem many pilots sitting on the bench telling the new guys how to fly while other are flying I hope you are one of the ones flying. All The Best.
airmail wf is offline  
Old 08-19-2008, 05:07 PM
  #81  
jksecunda
Jeff
Thread Starter
 
jksecunda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Fort Wayne, Indiana
Posts: 132
Default

Originally Posted by Angler-Hi View Post
Ok guys, if we're gonna disagree, let's do it with a little bit of tact. Remember that the real purpose of this thread is to help our new friend Jeff. There's nothing wrong with disagreeing, but we don't have to get too sarcastic with it. I honestly believe that we are ALL friends here. So let's just agree to disagree.

Feel better airmail wf? Now that we've vented, let's concentrate on getting Jeff comfortable with his plane and getting him back in the air. Agreed?
I do like it when things get a little heated. It means people have real emotion in what their doing. I DO understand both sides of the story.

(Another short story) I was in the local hobby shop buying another part for my plane, and happened to run into the son of the owner. We got to talking and he said that if I bought the plane there(which I did) and other parts to go along with the hobby(which I have)he would go out with me a couple of times and give me some pointers. YEASo this week, I will call him on his cell when the winds die down and I can hopefully go out and learn something. This is v3ery difficult to teach yourself, not that it cant be done. Just more difficult.

Thanks again guys...
jksecunda is offline  
Old 08-19-2008, 06:15 PM
  #82  
Sabrehawk
Member
 
Sabrehawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Seattle, Wa. USA
Posts: 647
Thumbs up

Wow, great Jeff now thats a good hobby shop ya found there.
Not too many will offer that much help to the point of actually going out with you and being there for ya!
BTW im a hoisier myself having been born and raised in Indianapolis, and lived in good ole Indy till around 1975 and then only moved to Greencastle.
Of course since then I been around the country a bit and in the northwest now, but Indiana will always be home, and someday I plan to get back there.

Yeah shoot for early morning, or late evenings for the calmest winds, and avoid mid day times when the sun is over head, and winds are at their strongest. Morning or evening you can usually have the sun at your back, and thats what ya want for best visual.

Im rootin fer ya Jeff!

Last edited by Sabrehawk; 08-19-2008 at 08:22 PM.
Sabrehawk is offline  
Old 08-19-2008, 11:07 PM
  #83  
jksecunda
Jeff
Thread Starter
 
jksecunda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Fort Wayne, Indiana
Posts: 132
Default

Originally Posted by Sabrehawk View Post
Wow, great Jeff now thats a good hobby shop ya found there.
Not too many will offer that much help to the point of actually going out with you and being there for ya!
BTW im a hoisier myself having been born and raised in Indianapolis, and lived in good ole Indy till around 1975 and then only moved to Greencastle.
Of course since then I been around the country a bit and in the northwest now, but Indiana will always be home, and someday I plan to get back there.

Yeah shoot for early morning, or late evenings for the calmest winds, and avoid mid day times when the sun is over head, and winds are at their strongest. Morning or evening you can usually have the sun at your back, and thats what ya want for best visual.
Im rootin fer ya Jeff!
Yea, took me 40 years to take up the hobby. I had a friend that built a rc plane when I was 10 and always thought it was very cool. Business ventures have kept me busy till now and I just now am doing something I should have done for fun and not always business. Looks like I have a great support team here and look forward to someday flying with one of you guys out there. (That is if I ever get off the ground without crashing)
jksecunda is offline  
Old 08-19-2008, 11:35 PM
  #84  
cbatters
Super Contributor
 
cbatters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,050
Default

Originally Posted by airmail wf View Post
Sir if you read the story it was not about crashing it was about a successful flight in very high wind condition. I love it when people twist things around to fit their scenario. You obviously had a bad experience learning to fly with to much wind. For that I feel sorry for you. But that doesn't mean everyone will. I repeat I'm not telling anyone to fly on a very windy day I'm just saying you can use the wind to your benefit and not to be afraid of it. I hope that is clear enough for you.
We agree to disagee.

I am telling beginners that they should be afraid of wind and learn to fly in calm to 5 MPH to increase their chances of early success.

(and I hope that is clear enough for you.()


Clint
cbatters is offline  
Old 08-19-2008, 11:43 PM
  #85  
Bub Steve
Super Contributor
 
Bub Steve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Shadeville Fl,
Posts: 7,189
Default

Originally Posted by cbatters View Post
We agree to disagee.

I am telling beginners that they should be afraid of wind and learn to fly in calm to 5 MPH to increase their chances of early success.

(and I hope that is clear enough for you.()


Clint
Teach a new in the windNo firgg'in way!!!! good post'in cbatter'inBub!
Bub Steve is offline  
Old 08-19-2008, 11:56 PM
  #86  
cjg
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 210
Default

My experience:
I learned to fly solo (at age 47) on a Supercub. I had no R/C airplane experience, only a BCX helicopter I learned to fly (solo). I also understood very well flight controls and principles (lift, drag, stall, thrust, etc). I also had played quite a few "airplane" gaimes on the computer, but no r/c simulator.

I essence, I had a lot of theory and no real experience.

First time out I flew it rog with only minor damage on a ground loop landing. My recommendation to newbies:
1) avoid wind until you are comfortable, especially 'gusty', changing breezes. A steady 3 mph will be ok as it is predictable.
2) Have twice as much space as you think you need, and 1/2 as many trees and poles as you think you can avoid.
3) altitude is your friend. Don't be afraid to get it up there. Altitude gives time to recover.
4) Don't overcontrol. Gentle, minor movements of sticks. Avoid acrobatics or drastic movements until you are comfortable. Learn to throttle back to 1/2 for cruising level. The throttle has more settings than "on" and "off' for a reason.
5) Don't be afraid it will crash and break. It will. It can be fixed at very little cost in most cases. Keep 2-3 spare props on hand if your hobby shop is not nearby.
6) Related to #5 - Have fun and relax... After a few dozen careful, successful, flights I leaned to not have the "shakes" and queezy feeling that I would crash and burn. Then it becomes fun and relaxing.

Just my opinion.
cjg is offline  
Old 08-19-2008, 11:57 PM
  #87  
jksecunda
Jeff
Thread Starter
 
jksecunda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Fort Wayne, Indiana
Posts: 132
Default

Originally Posted by cbatters View Post
We agree to disagee.

I am telling beginners that they should be afraid of wind and learn to fly in calm to 5 MPH to increase their chances of early success.

(and I hope that is clear enough for you.()


Clint
I suddenly feel a group hug coming on...Ready? Oh not yet...I'll wait...
jksecunda is offline  
Old 08-20-2008, 12:27 AM
  #88  
dk_aero
Member
 
dk_aero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Bakersfield, CA
Posts: 236
Default

Originally Posted by jksecunda View Post
I suddenly feel a group hug coming on...Ready? Oh not yet...I'll wait...

Well, if you can't get your group hug here...

try here -> http://grouphug.us/


dk_aero is offline  
Old 08-20-2008, 04:21 PM
  #89  
ray54
New Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Avon NY
Posts: 18
Default need help

Hi everyone
I need help with my super cub. I have had it since June and can't get it to fly. When I hand launch it, it go's up a little, dives to the left and cashes. I have set the trim all the way to the right and it still go's left. The wing is centered, any ideas

Thanks For any Help Ray
ray54 is offline  
Old 08-20-2008, 04:38 PM
  #90  
ggunners
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 246
Default

It sounds like your batteries are not fully charged or your prop is on backwards. Also, when you launch the airplane, do not pull back on the elevator stick, the airplane needs to fly level until it builds up some speed.

-- ggunners
ggunners is offline  
Old 08-20-2008, 04:53 PM
  #91  
Hostile
flying Cajun
 
Hostile's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 89
Default

Originally Posted by ray54 View Post
Hi everyone
I need help with my super cub. I have had it since June and can't get it to fly. When I hand launch it, it go's up a little, dives to the left and cashes. I have set the trim all the way to the right and it still go's left. The wing is centered, any ideas

Thanks For any Help Ray
I've seen the same thing from my buddy's Cub. His was stalling just after takeoff. Thinking once it lost lift, the motor would torque it left. It's not the floater everyone makes it out to be IMO?
Increase your takeoff speed. Doubt you will be able to hand launch it. At least until you get it trimmed out correctly. Resist the urge to pull it in the air until it flies it's self.
Best of luck!
Hostile is offline  
Old 08-20-2008, 05:13 PM
  #92  
Zoo
The Black Baron
 
Zoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 145
Default

I guess I got lucky. I always hand launch mine & have NEVER had trouble getting it to go up using the stick OR just the throttle.Just open it wide up when ya take off throw it straight and not very hard at all and she should go up. Otherwise I'd have to agree that your battery isn't charged enough or the prop is backwards....you can tell the dif fairly easily...the back has like a bevel,(for lack of a better word).
Hope this helps.
Zoo ~~~^..^~~~
Zoo is offline  
Old 08-20-2008, 05:27 PM
  #93  
ray54
New Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Avon NY
Posts: 18
Default

Thanks, The batteries where full charge. I have no place to ROG and I have no one to help me with it. I work nights so I can get to a club. I have sent Emails to one And they keep saying they will call when they have time. I an thinking of hanging this one up and getting a 2 ch

PS I don't think you can put the prop on backwards besides this is the 3 one
ray54 is offline  
Old 08-20-2008, 06:07 PM
  #94  
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor
 
Angler-Hi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Ft Hood, Tx
Posts: 4,137
Default

Check the prop to see if it's on the right way. If it's backwards you're not gonna get it to fly.

The SC is a GREAT plane with gliding performance. Hand launching it is usually recommended for the first few flights, not taking off from the ground. Check the prop and make sure your batts are fresh. The torque of the motor is a common characteristic of this plane, so it's not just you friend. Good luck bud, and keep us posted.
Angler-Hi is offline  
Old 08-20-2008, 06:09 PM
  #95  
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor
 
Angler-Hi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Ft Hood, Tx
Posts: 4,137
Default

Originally Posted by ggunners View Post
It sounds like your batteries are not fully charged or your prop is on backwards. Also, when you launch the airplane, do not pull back on the elevator stick, the airplane needs to fly level until it builds up some speed.

-- ggunners
Sorry friend, didn't see your post. Good advice!!
Angler-Hi is offline  
Old 08-20-2008, 07:21 PM
  #96  
Bub Steve
Super Contributor
 
Bub Steve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Shadeville Fl,
Posts: 7,189
Default

Ray::did you per-chance check the CG?? sounds tail-heavy which will stall you Quick!!, & check that prop again(weve all put one or two on backwards) your bub, steve
Bub Steve is offline  
Old 08-20-2008, 07:28 PM
  #97  
AEAJR
Community Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: NY, USA
Posts: 5,832
Cool

Originally Posted by ray54 View Post
Hi everyone
I need help with my super cub. I have had it since June and can't get it to fly. When I hand launch it, it go's up a little, dives to the left and cashes. I have set the trim all the way to the right and it still go's left. The wing is centered, any ideas

Thanks For any Help Ray
Sounds like the plane is stalling on launch.

Sounds like you are throwing the plane UP rather than out flat.

Throwing the plane UP will typically cause it to stall, drop a wing and crash. This can NOT be fixed by setting trims, in fact it will likely make it worse.


When you hand launch the plane, you throw it out flat.
AEAJR is offline  
Old 08-20-2008, 08:45 PM
  #98  
Hostile
flying Cajun
 
Hostile's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 89
Default

Originally Posted by Angler-Hi View Post
The SC is a GREAT plane with gliding performance. Hand launching it is usually recommended for the first few flights, not taking off from the ground. .....The torque of the motor is a common characteristic of this plane, so it's not just you friend. Good luck bud, and keep us posted.
While I will agree that the cub flies well. I'll have to disagree with the hand launch statement. Throwing a plane that has not been maiden, and trimmed to fly straight is not what I would do. I've found that if I run it off a runway, and something goes wrong, I can cut the throttle with min. damage. On hand launch you are committed.
He also doesn't have a bud to help throw it for him. That in it's self could be contributing to the problem.
With ROG, you can taxi around to get a feel for it.

Bub Steve has a good point with the CG, if it's tail heavy it would be a bear to fly.

AEAJR, also has a good point about throwing it level.

Let the flames begin.
Hostile is offline  
Old 08-20-2008, 10:52 PM
  #99  
Fly Time
Ask me how I know
 
Fly Time's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Renton, WA
Posts: 2,142
Default

Originally Posted by ray54 View Post
Thanks, The batteries where full charge. I have no place to ROG and I have no one to help me with it. I work nights so I can get to a club. I have sent Emails to one And they keep saying they will call when they have time. I an thinking of hanging this one up and getting a 2 ch

PS I don't think you can put the prop on backwards besides this is the 3 one
A backwards prop on a Super Cub would take some effort, so you are probably right about that. Can't hurt to check though. The prop size and any other writing will always be printed on the front of the prop.

By your description, it does sound as if you are stalling. You may be a little tail heavy, but unless you reinforced the tail area or otherwise added weight, it shouldn't be too far off out of the box. I suspect it's a matter of being patient and letting the plane climb gradually. Gentle and deliberate stick inputs are the key to flying RC. It is nothing like PlayStation where you jam the stick in whatever direction you want to go.

One other thing: Are you launching into the wind? That is very important! If you launch with the wind to your back, it will stall unless you really heave it. Always launch directly into the wind.

Ideally, you should be learning to fly in zero wind, in which case it wouldn't matter.

Good luck!
Fly Time is offline  
Old 08-20-2008, 11:44 PM
  #100  
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor
 
Angler-Hi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Ft Hood, Tx
Posts: 4,137
Default

Originally Posted by Hostile View Post
While I will agree that the cub flies well. I'll have to disagree with the hand launch statement. Throwing a plane that has not been maiden, and trimmed to fly straight is not what I would do. I've found that if I run it off a runway, and something goes wrong, I can cut the throttle with min. damage. On hand launch you are committed.
He also doesn't have a bud to help throw it for him. That in it's self could be contributing to the problem.
With ROG, you can taxi around to get a feel for it.

Bub Steve has a good point with the CG, if it's tail heavy it would be a bear to fly.

AEAJR, also has a good point about throwing it level.

Let the flames begin.
How are you committed on a hand launch? The plane would be at head level and still be able to glide as opposed to shooting straight up off the runway and stalling (usually by inputting too much elevator to get her up on the initial take off). Alot of beginners make that mistake. If she shoots up like that she will more than likely stall and crash for sure. Also with most beginners they wouldn't have the muscle memory to throttle down when she's looking like she's about to eat the ground, causing an even harder crash.

With hand launching, a beginner doesn't have to worry about running out of runway before they freak out and think they have to give full up elevator to keep her from crashing on the ground. With the SC, she likes to make that hard left at the last minute...she doesn't have that much of problem doing that when hand launching. Trimming the plane has nothing to do with how you launch it either. It still has to be in the air to be trimmed.
Angler-Hi is offline  

Quick Reply: Flying the Super Cub


Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.14982 seconds with 11 queries