A Scratch Builder (Trying to do the "Nasty") - Page 5 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft Discuss and share your scratch built or kit built aircraft as well as building techniques, methods, mediums and resources.

A Scratch Builder (Trying to do the "Nasty")

Old 02-09-2009, 12:12 AM
aero_k

Looks good, makes me miss the one I had. Just make sure you don't have the CG too far back for your first flight. Mine only lasted about 5 seconds. Good luck...
Old 02-09-2009, 12:26 AM
Rolling Thunder
Keep the sunny side up

Yea DEFINITELY dont have your cg too far back.heck,I place all my batterys at the very front of the nose(2cell,3cell)it doesnt matter.of course my nastys made out of 1/2 inch foam its a little more tail heavy
Old 02-14-2009, 04:40 AM
pstrdenver

this thread brings back the memories...Of spending my winter building this plane to only lawn dart it. Building the second one better and nicer only to see it fold the wings on a double loop. Ahhhh the memories.

Seriously...looking good guys. Keep up the good work.
Old 02-16-2009, 08:51 PM
TylerJCooper

PstrDenver,

Is your spiritual gift prophesizing? I lawn darted the first one. The second one also flew better, but the wings got too flimsy and it took a digger. It is sad how fragile the foam planes are, by the time I start figuring out what I needed to adjust, I had to build a new one. I am taking a break from rebuilding.

On a side note, I was surprised how different 3D planes handle. It was a lot of fun to do some hovering and playing, however, the speed was a lot slower then I expected. It really required a different kind of stick handling.
Old 02-16-2009, 10:42 PM
pstrdenver

Originally Posted by TylerJCooper View Post
PstrDenver,

Is your spiritual gift prophesizing? I lawn darted the first one. The second one also flew better, but the wings got too flimsy and it took a digger. It is sad how fragile the foam planes are, by the time I start figuring out what I needed to adjust, I had to build a new one. I am taking a break from rebuilding.

On a side note, I was surprised how different 3D planes handle. It was a lot of fun to do some hovering and playing, however, the speed was a lot slower then I expected. It really required a different kind of stick handling.
sorry to hear the fate of your loved one. Yes 3D is a whole different bird. (pun intended)
Old 07-31-2010, 02:52 AM
TylerJCooper

Well... some time has pasted and I have forgotten how painful it was to build a plane, then crash it in 5 seconds. So, I have done it again. However, I am having trouble picking a prop. Can someone help?

Motor: E-Flight Brushless Park 450
http://www.e-fliterc.com/Products/De...rodID=EFLM1400

ESC: 25 AMP

Battery: 3C 1300 20C or 3C 800 15C

Any answers?
Old 07-31-2010, 03:26 AM
Rolling Thunder
Keep the sunny side up

Wow this thread brings back memories.I still fly mine regularly & love it.I wish I could help you out but Im terrible at figuring the exact right prop myself.
Mines made out of 1/2 inch house insulating foamboard so its at least twice as heavy as normal.I use a 11x5 prop

One thing I will say though is dont use the recommended cg.I put my battery all the way forward on the nose of the plane & move it back a 1/2inch at a time till I find where I like it best

I always bring a variety of different size props with me.I know thats not what you want to hear though.Good luck
Old 07-31-2010, 04:12 AM
Rolling Thunder
Keep the sunny side up

Ha I just scrolled up & saw I posted the exact same thing many moons ago
Old 07-31-2010, 10:47 AM
Crashalott
Super Contributor

Well... some time has pasted and I have forgotten how painful it was to build a plane, then crash it in 5 seconds. So, I have done it again. However, I am having trouble picking a prop. Can someone help?

Motor: E-Flight Brushless Park 450
http://www.e-fliterc.com/Products/De...rodID=EFLM1400

ESC: 25 AMP

Battery: 3C 1300 20C or 3C 800 15C

Any answers?
Try going to this link for info on the prop.

http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...0-Sport/Detail
Old 07-31-2010, 02:06 PM
TylerJCooper

Crashalott - That site is nice because it appears to give me all the data I need. However, my Park 450 only has 890 Kv, which is a lot less then their Park 450. I was able to find a motor on their site that had a 900 Kv. Do you think I can use that data for my engine? Also, I see that it list "thrust" and "mph". Do I need a 2 to 1 ratio for 3D? What does the mph indicate?

Thunder - It is good to hear some pearls of wisdom... again. :-) I didn't use your cg technique the first time, but agree the cg was way out of control. Therefore, I am going to take you up on your suggestion. How are you inching it back. Do you lay new tape each time? What is the best way to do it and be able to save my resources?

Thanks!
Tyler
Old 07-31-2010, 09:12 PM
Rolling Thunder
Keep the sunny side up

I just tape a piece of velcro from the nose to the wings leading edge.That way I can slowly move the battery back to find where I like it.

I suppose if you're already a 3-d expert the cg would be fine but I remember tossing it up the 1st time & it was crazy out of control,lol.Then I moved the battery all the way to the front & the next flight was the smoothest I could want.Since then Ive moved the battery back about a inch & a quarter Id say.But it all depends on the size of the battery
Old 07-31-2010, 10:54 PM
Crashalott
Super Contributor

Crashalott - That site is nice because it appears to give me all the data I need. However, my Park 450 only has 890 Kv, which is a lot less then their Park 450. I was able to find a motor on their site that had a 900 Kv. Do you think I can use that data for my engine? Also, I see that it list "thrust" and "mph". Do I need a 2 to 1 ratio for 3D? What does the mph indicate?

Thunder - It is good to hear some pearls of wisdom... again. :-) I didn't use your cg technique the first time, but agree the cg was way out of control. Therefore, I am going to take you up on your suggestion. How are you inching it back. Do you lay new tape each time? What is the best way to do it and be able to save my resources?

Thanks!
Tyler
I would say you could use their data to start and you could experiment with props til you get the combo you like.
Old 08-01-2010, 09:13 PM
Stevephoon
Super Contributor

Default Props

I did a quick search on Google on this motor and found the following:

http://www.horizonhobby.com/ProdInfo...structions.pdf

Examples of Airplane Setups:

E-flite Mini Edge 3D ARF (EFL2225)
Comments – Sport 3D and aerobatic performance with good vertical power and top speed. Also allows the use of the lightweight THP13203SPL battery for improved power to weight ratio.
Weight w/Battery: 26 oz (735g)
Prop: 12x6 Electric (APC12060E) or 11x3.8 Slow Flyer (APC11038SF)
Battery: 1320mAh 3-Cell 11.1V LIPO (THP13203SPL) or 2100mAh 3-Cell 11.1V Li-Po (THP21003SPL)
ESC: 20A Brushless (EFLA311B)

E-flite Mini Ultra Stick ARF (EFL2250)
Comments – Excellent aerobatic performance with good power and top speed.
Weight w/Battery: 24 oz (680g)
Prop: 10x8 Electric (EFLP1080E) or 10x7 Slow Flyer (EFLP1070)
Battery: 2100mAh 3-Cell 11.1V Li-Po (THP21003SPL)

E-flite P-47D Thunderbolt 400 ARF (EFL6000)
Comments – Excellent scale and aerobatic performance with good power and top speed.
Weight w/Battery: 25 oz (710g)
Prop: 10x8 Electric (EFLP1080E)
Battery: 2100mAh 3-Cell 11.1V Li-Po (THP21003SPL)

It looks like the suggestions people are giving are in the right ball park.

Steve