A Scratch Builder (Trying to do the "Nasty") - Page 3 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft Discuss and share your scratch built or kit built aircraft as well as building techniques, methods, mediums and resources.

A Scratch Builder (Trying to do the "Nasty")

Old 07-29-2008, 08:14 AM
NOZ69R

Tyler,

With the motor mount just fit the 3/8 x 3/8 dowel onto the cf spare as per instruction & you'll be right.

I've added some pic's of my mount (a bit blury) and a couple of personnal touches

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Motor Mount.JPG
Views:	144
Size:	27.5 KB
ID:	73964   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tail.JPG
Views:	140
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	73965   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wing Tip.JPG
Views:	138
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	73966  
Old 08-03-2008, 05:56 AM
TylerJCooper

Default Need some help

I have finished the fuselage, wings, elevator, etc. I have put the carbon fiber rods in all the foam. I am now ready to put it all together, but not sure how to do it. I know that it is important to get everything square, but not sure how to assure that will happen. I have inserted the wings, but not glued them. It isn't snug, therefore, how have you attached your wings to the fuselage. I have a glue gun, but I don't want to glue the crooked. How have you assured that your wind is glued in a good position? My plans are to glue the wing, then place a light wood at 90 degree corners to the wing. How has everyone else done this step?
Old 08-03-2008, 10:23 AM
NOZ69R

Originally Posted by TylerJCooper View Post
I have finished the fuselage, wings, elevator, etc. I have put the carbon fiber rods in all the foam. I am now ready to put it all together, but not sure how to do it. I know that it is important to get everything square, but not sure how to assure that will happen. I have inserted the wings, but not glued them. It isn't snug, therefore, how have you attached your wings to the fuselage. I have a glue gun, but I don't want to glue the crooked. How have you assured that your wind is glued in a good position? My plans are to glue the wing, then place a light wood at 90 degree corners to the wing. How has everyone else done this step?
Tyler,

I got a cheap plastic set square and positioned the fuse & wing with spacers so the fuse & wing are at 90 deg, then I used 5 min epoxy to glue everything. did the same for the tail.

Cheers
Old 08-03-2008, 11:03 AM
smokejohnson
Super Contributor

Here's how I do it. First I line the wing up and make some marks on each side. I have 2 blocks that I use to hold the fuze perpendicular to the bench. Spread some 5 min epoxy on the wing and then slide it in to the marks. I will place something under the side that's lower to get the same distance off the bench on both wing tips. I try to work fast so I can double check everything before the epoxy sets .
Old 08-16-2008, 02:53 AM
TylerJCooper

Things sure have been busy and my NASTY hasn't got that much further. However, I did have some time tonight to set the wings, elevator, and rudder. James and NOZ thanks for your help with the wing. I used a little bit of both your suggestions. I cut 8 small 90 degree corners. I marked on my with where the fuselage should go and attached two of the corners. I butted the wing against them and got two more to make the other side snug. I then placed the other ones on the back of the wing and once everything was set, I proceeded to glue gun the wing together. I can out real well and seems to be strong. As stated before, I then attached the elevator and fuselage. I am still running into one problem. I have a E-Flight brushless motor that requires a front mount. I have a mount that would work, but it is too big for my engine compartment. Any suggestions?

Still wanting to see one in the air.

Coop

Name:	P1015764.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	125.0 KB
ID:	75477   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1015765.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	116.0 KB
ID:	75478   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1015773.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	75479   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1015772.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	110.0 KB
ID:	75481   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1015775.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	75482  

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1015782.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	75483   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1015783.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	75484   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1015784.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	75485  
Old 08-16-2008, 05:07 AM
TylerJCooper

So I am trying for find servos for my NASTY. Not sure what is reliable. What do I need to watch out for?

How about these?
http://cgi.ebay.com/4-pcs-x-Mini-Mic...d=p3286.c0.m14
Old 08-28-2008, 06:15 AM
TylerJCooper

Not sure if this thread has died out, but I could use some help.
Old 08-28-2008, 10:58 AM
proffcharlie

I've used those servos on planes with an AUW of 19 oz. and not had any problems. As for the motor mounting, it's hard to tell exact position in your pics but as long as you can get the motor shaft center line in place according to the plans there is no problem with cutting away the foam around the motor opening. All of your support will be where the motor mount stick fits into the fuse, the square opening around the motor can be opened up on the top and bottom to clear the motor outer diameter.

Charlie
Old 08-28-2008, 02:58 PM
aero_k

Those servos look identical to the hxt 9g servos from hobbycity that I use and I haven't had any problems. They aren't top of the line of course, but they get the job done. I haven't had one strip or anything.
Old 08-29-2008, 08:48 AM
NOZ69R

Hey Tyler, i'm using the hxt 5g servo's in mine without any drama's yet.

With your motor mount just trim any foam thats in the way, it will not hurt anything.

Cheers
Old 08-29-2008, 01:47 PM
TylerJCooper

Thanks Guys! It looks like I am ready to install my motor and order some servos. I will keep you posted.
Old 09-13-2008, 07:57 AM
TylerJCooper

Sure this thread has died, but I am committed. :-) I saved up enough money to get some servos and hope to have them soon. Does anyone have anymore pictures of their "Nasty"? I would love to see them.
Old 09-13-2008, 11:04 AM
smokejohnson
Super Contributor

My Nasty has been dead and buried for awhile now, may she rest in piece (or pieces ), here's a pic. I've been struck with the Yak bug now .

Name:	RTF (Medium).JPG
Views:	137
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	77981  
Old 09-15-2008, 06:20 PM
Rolling Thunder
Keep the sunny side up

Sure this thread has died, but I am committed. :-) I saved up enough money to get some servos and hope to have them soon. Does anyone have anymore pictures of their "Nasty"? I would love to see them.
hey Tyler,ive been reading your thread & you got me interested in building one.it will be my first scratchbuild.it looks like a pretty straight forward build from what little i know.i will be interested in hearing how it flies.good luck!
Old 10-04-2008, 08:43 AM
TylerJCooper

I just got some nylon hinges, horns, and motor mount. I haven't been able to order my servos yet. MAN, I can't wait to get this thing out. My goal it to have it out before the snow. I just need to get some servos and servo wire. If anyone can beat the 6 for $40 on e-bay. Let me know.
Old 10-04-2008, 01:29 PM
idealhobbies
Super Contributor

$39.00 from Headsuprc. Jeffs reputation is the best you will find. Will end up $41 shipped I believe.

http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...TP-SG90/Detail
Old 10-04-2008, 11:28 PM
Rolling Thunder
Keep the sunny side up

I just got some nylon hinges, horns, and motor mount. I haven't been able to order my servos yet. MAN, I can't wait to get this thing out. My goal it to have it out before the snow. I just need to get some servos and servo wire. If anyone can beat the 6 for $40 on e-bay. Let me know.
I know hobbycity has servos for 2.50 & up
Old 10-09-2008, 01:49 AM
TylerJCooper

I need some help with the electronics. I have a brushless e-flight 370, lipo 1000, and a 25 ESC. Will this work to power the plane? Additionally, the ESC has three wires for the brushless, but they aren't colored. How do I know which ones to connect?

Thanks for your help
Old 10-09-2008, 02:14 AM
smokejohnson
Super Contributor

If this is the motor you have and as long as your lipo is a 3 cell rated for at least 15C you should be in good shape with a 10x4.7 prop.
Old 10-11-2008, 06:08 AM
TylerJCooper

Originally Posted by smokejohnson View Post
If this is the motor you have and as long as your lipo is a 3 cell rated for at least 15C you should be in good shape with a 10x4.7 prop.
That is the engine. Thanks SO much. I still am trying to get some servos, but I mounted the engine last night. What about wiring the ESC? The three plugs don't have colors, how do I know which ones go where?
Old 10-11-2008, 06:18 AM
Rolling Thunder
Keep the sunny side up

That is the engine. Thanks SO much. I still am trying to get some servos, but I mounted the engine last night. What about wiring the ESC? The three plugs don't have colors, how do I know which ones go where?
as long as your not soldering the connections you can plug them in any way & if the motor runs backwards just reverse two of the wires
Old 10-21-2008, 03:07 PM
pburt1975
Hotel California

Tyler, what 25amp ESC are you using? does it have a built in BEC of 3 amps? Most of the cheap ESCs wont handle more then 2-3 servos and if your nasty will be using 4 servos, you'd best grab a 3-5amp BEC while you are at it. Could save your plane after all this effort.

RT is right also, get some bullet connectors for the ESC to the Motor. That way you can swap wires to get rotation right, or pull the ESC out of 1 model and put it in another, without moving the motor.

Jeff at headsuprc will take good care of ya on both the servos and the BEC, but if you've got 10-14 days to spare, I think Hobbyking/Hobbycity will work out as a cheaper deal.
Old 10-21-2008, 03:21 PM
Gnascher
Got My TX - Need 2 Fly!

I just started building this plane too. Guess I should call it "Gnascher's Gnasty" . I've just moved closer to the city, so my flying options have gotten more cramped (smaller parks, etc...) I decided I needed something cheap, replaceable and highly maneuverable and capable of real slow flight and this looks like the ticket. This is my first foray into home-built foamies ... should be interesting. It was nice to purchase a pack of FFF and realize that I just purchased enough material to build 25 of these planes if I had a notion to do so.

I'm using arrow shafts for stiffeners, and will be using a 2409-18T TowerPro that I've got sitting around collecting dust ... should be ballistic on this plane swinging a 10x3 or 10x4.7.

I've got the foam cut and the carbon epoxied. I'll post some pics when I get a little further along.
Old 10-23-2008, 06:29 AM
TylerJCooper

Gnascher

It is great to have you be part of the "Nasty" I have been building mine for quite a while and have really found the feedback beneficial. PLEASE... Keep us posted on your progress and flight! I sure know that I will learn something. :-)
Old 10-23-2008, 12:52 PM
Gnascher
Got My TX - Need 2 Fly!

Gnascher

It is great to have you be part of the "Nasty" I have been building mine for quite a while and have really found the feedback beneficial. PLEASE... Keep us posted on your progress and flight! I sure know that I will learn something. :-)
Well, mine's nearly done now. Tuesday night, I got the control surfaces hinged, and all the airframe pieces together.

Last night, I mounted the motor, servos, landing gear and control linkages.

I did a test run-up of my TowerPro and discovered it's not in good shape. I had forgotten this motor was giving me trouble. I've switched to a hacker knock-off A20-20L ... this should get me about 30oz of thrust I expect.

I've pretty much built this plane "to spec" with the following exceptions:

1. motor mount is a firewall style mount rather than a stick mount due to my motor design.

2. I did the landing gear using tubular carbon rather than carbon sticks. I drilled all the way through the forward bracing blocks and inserted the carbon. Then I inserted music wire into the open end and CA-d it in place. The legs are presently friction fit, but I'll make them permanent if I decide I like them.

3. I also added a tail skid by tunneling a hole diagonally into the rear of the fuselage and inserting a length of tubular carbon. I then added a bit of bent music wire CA-d in place where it contacts the ground.

All that remains is to figure out where to mount my RX, ESC and battery. I think I'm going to go with an 'over the wing' location for my battery. It seems like it wants to be really close to the CG, and that area under the wing is crowded by the aileron servo and linkages.

I should mention that I've taken a bit of a "quick and dirty" approach to building this plane as this is my first attempt at building with foam, and I'm looking to get something in the air quickly. If I like its general characteristics, I'll build a more craftsman-like version later. Heh ... I've got enough foam to totally botch this up 25 times before I run out of material!

I'll try and post some pics tonight.

Quick Reply: A Scratch Builder (Trying to do the "Nasty")

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.15751 seconds with 23 queries