Yardbird RC YB-22 Electric Park Jet - Page 5 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Aircraft Reviews Member based Reviews on ARF's and Kits Open for Business!

Yardbird RC YB-22 Electric Park Jet

Old 10-11-2008, 05:49 PM
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

John, that helmet is SICK man!! I'm gonna go buy one and wear it everytime I fly...seriously! Just for you John S.
Old 10-11-2008, 06:49 PM
max2112
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by John Seidelman View Post
Found a helmet to go with that Bird
Thanks for the picture John.

That helmet is wicked cool!!
Old 10-11-2008, 06:52 PM
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by max2112 View Post
Thanks for the picture John.

That helmet is wicked cool!!
So what would you do John, if I showed up to fly on one of our Saturday mornings wearing a pair of shorts, no shirt and just that helmet?
Old 10-11-2008, 07:03 PM
John Seidelman

Just wundering where you will plug the oxy hose into?
Old 10-11-2008, 07:11 PM
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by John Seidelman View Post
Just wundering where you will plug the oxy hose into?
Oh, I'm just gonna let it dangle
Old 10-12-2008, 08:31 PM
John Seidelman

Kinda thought you guys might like the paint jobs on the page
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	F-4 A-6F14F18 [320x200].jpg
Views:	208
Size:	8.8 KB
ID:	80476  
Old 10-13-2008, 03:56 AM
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

Those are pretty sweet John! Wish it was a bit bigger so I could see the detail, but she still looks good to the eye.
Old 10-13-2008, 09:52 PM
John Seidelman

It wouldn't let me upload the full sized page here. But go to my photobucket and see it there
Old 10-13-2008, 10:05 PM
John Seidelman

Trying to resize it some

Name:	F-4 A-6F14F18-2.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	100.1 KB
ID:	80636  
Old 10-13-2008, 10:45 PM
max2112
Super Contributor

Default Talk to me, Goose!!

Originally Posted by Angler-Hi View Post
So what would you do John, if I showed up to fly on one of our Saturday mornings wearing a pair of shorts, no shirt and just that helmet?

ROFL!! Heck I wouldn't do anything different! Coffee and preflight checks!!

I would have to take some pictures for our fellow Wattheads of course!
Old 10-14-2008, 01:59 PM
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by max2112 View Post
ROFL!! Heck I wouldn't do anything different! Coffee and preflight checks!!

I would have to take some pictures for our fellow Wattheads of course!
LOL. As soon as i can find one, it's ON!
Old 10-15-2008, 09:10 PM
airfoil'd

Hey guys!

Another noob here. Just busted my first hobby grade plane, Parkzone J3 Cub Brushless/lipo. Had to pull the guts to fix it, wondering if they might be a suitable transplant over to a yardbird frame?
The ZX10 radio has servo reversing and delta/Vtail mixing with a flick of a switch.
RX weighs 21g (with casing intact)...and is Xport equipped( wonder if I could use the sonic combat module w/ a Yardbird? Would be awesome!).
PKZ1032 2s 800mAh 7.4V lipo weighs 43.5g.
PKZ1060 servos weigh 13.5g each.
10 amp (15 amp burst)esc weighs 11.1g. I'm assuming this should be upgraded?
The motor is a 1500 kv brushless, still has mount and prop adapter on it, all weighs 65g. Guessing you could subtract 15-20 grams for adapter, couple more for the mount. Sorry for vagueness, but I lack the proper tool to remove the adapter at this point. I'm sure anyone able to give me a good answer has a good idea on this motor weight too.
Stock prop was 8.5 x 5.5. Whats a compatable prop,both for the motor, and the yardbird?

So, do we have a contender here? I have faint hope, but would be so stoked to hear "IT'S A GO!".
Old 10-15-2008, 10:26 PM
max2112
Super Contributor

Default foil'd again.

Originally Posted by airfoil'd View Post
....The motor is a 1500 kv brushless, still has mount and prop adapter on it, all weighs 65g. Guessing you could subtract 15-20 grams for adapter, couple more for the mount. Sorry for vagueness, but I lack the proper tool to remove the adapter at this point. I'm sure anyone able to give me a good answer has a good idea on this motor weight too.
Stock prop was 8.5 x 5.5. Whats a compatable prop,both for the motor, and the yardbird?

So, do we have a contender here? I have faint hope, but would be so stoked to hear "IT'S A GO!".
Airfoil'd,
'Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I think that motor is too small. While the Cubby is a little bit heavier, its flight characteristics reflect a high wing trainer. The F22 is definitely a "sport" application.

I flew the F22 on a brushless E-flite 400 outrunner. It was barely adequate and had no zoomy-zoom factor at all. And your motor is even smaller than that.

As far as propellors go, you are stuck with a max length of 7 inches.

Let us know what you decide!

A Turnigy2826-1650 is a cheaper substitute that mine flies great with!
Old 10-16-2008, 12:55 AM
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

Welcome to Wattflyer Airfoil'd! John is right friend, I would definitely go with the Turnigy motor he recommended. We both fly our Yardbirds with that motor, and for only $14.99 it's a great deal! A 7x5 pusher prop works best for that particular motor as well. You'll also want to get a 3s 11.1v Li-po. You will want at least a 1300mah li-po, but a 2200mah allows for longer flight times and a more stable plane due to the weight of the larger battery.

What freq is your radio on...27mhz...72mhz?? If you're using a 72mhz radio and Rx that would be your best way to go. Your Rx should work fine if you plan on using the radio that came with the Cub. A decent 6ch radio is a must in this hobby friend. You can find them for as low as $69.00 to $350.00. I would recommend getting one with an LCD screen and has at least an 8 model memory...so you can fly up to eight different planes with the same radio. Eventually you'll have to make this investment. I hope to see you around, and we're always standing by to help our fellow members any way we can. Please feel free to ask ALL the questions you want...that's what we're for.
Old 10-16-2008, 05:46 AM
airfoil'd

Thanks for the great news guys!

Really! You didn't reject the whole system! What I heard was "Get a better, cheaper motor". Can do. "Get a bigger lipo" . Can also do! Everything else (TX,RX, servos)is workable then? If so,great! If there's enough weight budget left, I can even use the Xport to take out my bro-in-law? (Monty Burns voice) "...Aexaelent...."!
About the radio - I have heard "Buy as much radio as you can" a few times now.
Personally, I think that was more true ten years ago than today, especially from a newbie point of view. Right now I'm using a "gifted" (free)radio system that has a potential to more than match my experience and abilities at this point. I have never flown an aerilon/elevator setup, never flown a delta either. I can still grow into this radio. The thing is technology moves faster than ever now, and who knows what will be out there in a year? If I bought that DX6i now, its more than I need or could use, especially since it would eat my personal budget for a new plane! That radio would be no fun at all! ( I could stand in the feild and tell everyone my plane was "specked out" and they need glasses, I suppose....) Meanwhile, the next big thing in radios comes along, making my DX6i "prop" not obsolete, but not cutting edge either. I wonder how many guys are kicking themselves for buying their first plane and a top of the line conventional radio, only to watch spectrum tech show up a month later?
Bottom line? As a newbie, I don't feel my experience/skill curve will climb as fast as the technology curve will. If I can squeeze some more out of the ZX10, I'm good for now! I might even buy a plane with a "$10 4-5ch radio" (maybe a Typhoon!) before I upgrade to spectrum, or whatever is out there by then!
Am I out to lunch thinking this way, or does anyone see my point of view?

Regardless, thanks again guys for the "thumbs half up"! I think the Yardbirds are great, and an inexpensive performer for someone to learn with and enjoy! Looking forward to getting there!
Old 10-16-2008, 02:08 PM
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

That makes sense Airfoil'd. If you have a radio that works for you and you can still grow into, then I would stick with that until you're ready for the more advanced stuff. I was under the impression that you only had the stock radio that came with the J3 Cub, my bad. Good winds friend.

Mike
Old 10-16-2008, 04:04 PM
airfoil'd

Angler,
Not your bad at all, your assumption was correct. The ZX10 that came with my Cub(which I still hope to ressurect, btw) Is a 27 mhz, three ch, with 3 switches - 2 of them are for servo reversing, one is for switching between Ttails and Vtails. Since 99% of my flying is by myself (although I just joined the local club) I'm not worried about waiting for my turn to fly. I live in a rural area, its always my turn, and interferance is not an issue.
Because of the setup of this radio, I can see using it for at least my first three planes. First, the high-wing elev/rudd trainer I already have (my Cub). I'm not sure which to go to next, a low wing elev/ail plane, or a plane using elevons. I asked the guy @the LHS about a suitable transplant recipient for the PZ guts I have, stipulating that it should be able to handle a little more wind than the Cub can. He reccommended a Stryker. Any thoughts on this? I believe it would have less power than a stock ("C" version, for sure) but would it be UNDER powered, per se? I wouldn't mind if it was a little on the mild side, it would match my current skill level. As long as it takes me up a notch from the Cub's capabilities (which aren't bad, loops, rolls, the bl version is actually pretty sweet).
I Don't mind the F27, but I would MUCH PREFER A YARDBIRD! I seem to like models that are representative of actual planes, with realistic flight characteristics. Yes it's a profile, and a good one too. NOTHING wrong with that. Won't cry if I break it, will smile when I fix it!
Anyways, gotta go. Just to summarize though;
PKZ TX, RX, and servos, reccomended turnigy motor, 3s 11.1v 1300mAh (or higher)lipo, skill, and I'll have all I need to fly a Yardbird? Oh yeah, what about the esc?
And will there be room for a combat module so I can take out my Bogey-in-law?

Last edited by airfoil'd; 10-16-2008 at 05:33 PM.
Old 10-16-2008, 11:01 PM
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

Airfoil'd, the Stryker is a fast delta wing. What "guts" are you referring to? If you're talking about the electronics from the Cub, it will not do too well in the Stryker. Also, keep in mind, that a Stryker isn't a beginner plane. Some people have testified that it was their first plane and never had any major problems learning to fly it, but many also do not recommend it for the beginner...even if you're looking at an aileron trainer, which is a step up from the 3ch birds.

You can actually buy the Stryker as a PNP (Plug And Play) version. In a nutshell, just install your own Rx and it's ready to go. If you DO buy the Stryker, let the experienced guys at your club help you with the maiden and get it trimmed out for you.

Yes, the recommendations for the Yardbird stand friend. Also, be aware that a 27mhz radio has a good chance of losing signal due to interferrence. This is because 27mhz is the frequency that most small electric toys use, such as remote controlled cars, or anything that uses some kind of Tx/Rx. This also includes some home electronics such as phones, garage door openers, Etc. I hope this helps. Good luck and we'll be standing by for your flight report of the Yardbird or Stryker. I would go with the Yardbird F-22 because it has the best flight characteristics and handles a bit better than the other Yardbird planes. The others, like the F-18 and Mig-29 don't like to go too slow for the beginner...they can be flown slowly and even hover, but it will take more practice with throttle management than the others, due to the larger wing area of the F-22. Good winds.

Mike
Old 02-13-2009, 03:13 PM
Yardbird RC

Default Hey Guys sorry I've haven't posted in a while.

The F-15 is getting close! Below is the tail art we've been working on for the decals. There will be two versions. One in white that will come with red chase plane marking. And one in gray that you'll be able to make into a USAF , JASDF or IDF F-15. The gray version will have three sets on one sheet of decals. Also, pilot head decals are now going to be in every kit starting Yesterday!
Rick
www.yardbirdrc.com

Name:	F-15 work Page copy.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	34.4 KB
ID:	93545   Click image for larger version

Name:	F-15 work JASDF  work page copy.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	24.7 KB
ID:	93546   Click image for larger version

Name:	F-15 work IDF AF  work page copy.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	26.7 KB
ID:	93547   Click image for larger version

Name:	F-15 work USAF CP  work page copy.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	93548   Click image for larger version

Name:	pilot heads copy.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	93591  

Last edited by Yardbird RC; 02-13-2009 at 09:43 PM.
Old 03-10-2009, 02:13 AM
max2112
Super Contributor

Default like the energizer bunny!

Just a quick post, to let everybody know this little guy is still in my active fleet and still get's thrown in the truck everytime I go out to fly.

Last time out was a rough morning for the yardbird, but she repaired quite nicely! I guess this is what I get for trying to land in a 3 foot stretch of grass with concertina wire at the end of it!

Here are som pics of the before and after process.

Name:	P1130206.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	183.8 KB
ID:	95916   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1130208.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	239.1 KB
ID:	95917   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1130209.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	183.0 KB
ID:	95918  
Old 03-10-2009, 09:49 AM
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

Hey John. How's that Turnigy motor holding up?
Old 03-10-2009, 03:20 PM
max2112
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Angler-Hi View Post
Hey John. How's that Turnigy motor holding up?
Believe it or not Mike, it's gotten a little bit Louder! Performance has dropped off just a hair, but she still goes PDQ.
Old 03-11-2009, 06:04 AM
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

Sorry to hear that man. I'm actually thinking about going with the recommended Dualsky motor myself. BTW, not to stray too far off topic, but I just ordered these EDFs here today!
http://www.bananahobby.com/1719.html

http://www.bananahobby.com/1766.html

I also ordered another Spit from HobbyCity, so my other one is yours friend!

Mike
Old 03-15-2009, 05:15 PM
max2112
Super Contributor

I've always thought about getting the Dualsky set-up myself. But then again, it all goes back to me being a cheap bastid!

Congrats on the new EDFs! Hopefully I'll be able to film the maidens for you while you're home.

'Sounds great about the Spitfire. Just let me know how much you want.
Old 03-16-2009, 12:04 AM
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

JOHN!!!! I thought we talked about this man. I'm not selling her to you....She's YOURS!!

Mike

Quick Reply: Yardbird RC YB-22 Electric Park Jet

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.11043 seconds with 22 queries