2 words: Parkzone VAPOR! - Page 4 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Indoor & Micro Electric Planes Talk about indoor & Micro electric powered flight here

2 words: Parkzone VAPOR!

Old 07-18-2008, 04:08 AM
jckr3w

Check the conectors on the charger, they might be bent.
Old 07-18-2008, 06:35 PM
adhoc
(inactive)

Default wow!

I was on the fence about the Vapor for a long time... I was intrigued, but since I don't have a big indoor area available, and it is frequently gusty outside, I figured I'd never be able to fly it. But next week I'm going to vacation for a few days where there is no big open space to fly; just a yard that's maybe half a soccer field. So on an impulse I called my local Hobbytown and they had one Bind-N-Fly left, so I picked it up...

WOW! Great plane, far more fun than I expected! Two strong impressions I had were (1) it is, in some ways, a bit like a tiny Slow Stick, and (2) it is exactly what I craved after flying a couple of Aero Aces year before last -- small and fun, but with more serious control than an Aero Ace offers... It is really cool to be able to fly this thing with my DX6i...

Even though the wind wasn't totally calm last night, I was able to fly in my (rather small) front yard for at least 30 minutes, on two batteries. The Vapor will damn near hover at times! By the middle of the second battery I was doing touch-and-gos on the sidewalk!

The only problem I've had is that the connector on the battery that came in the box is slightly bent, and I have to fuss with it to get it to plug into the charger correctly. The extra battery I bought plugs in just fine...

I'm impressed with the design and build of this thing. It looks quite fragile, and somewhat like a toy, but it is more capable and durable than it appears. It really "wants to fly" and is quite forgiving, both in flight and when it crashes.

I expect to get a hell of a lot more stick time now... Big smile here!
Old 07-19-2008, 03:14 AM
E-FLYERDUDE
Heli Freak

I really like mine. Binded it and flew it for the first time today... I totally agree with adhoc, its small and fun like an aeroace, but with more serious control.

Great windy/stormy day flyer - Avoid the weather and just take off from the kitchen table!

Alex
Old 07-19-2008, 03:52 AM
Electrothump

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by ontheedge View Post
No real trick, just a little finesse. There is a top and a bottom to the connector so make sure you have that right. A little wiggle here and there and you should be good. Also, on my Vapor, it can take up to 10 seconds to bind when I plug in the battery. Sometimes I thought I didn't get it plugged in right, but it just took a while to bind.
Heck, after reading this I tried it again, and this time it hit the plug perfect on the first attempt. Kinda surprised me. Ha!

Thanks,
DN
Old 07-19-2008, 12:52 PM
rocket_jim
Fly Long and Land Softly

Default What is the normal start-up sequence of light flashes?

My RTF Vapor worked wonderfully (!!!!!!!) for over a week now till it just plain quit in flight this AM. Landed itself gently in the neighbor's yard. Autolander!

I have two flight packs, and I've tried both of them.

Now when I plug in the pack, the little Rx LED flashes about 6 times, then goes out. No elevator, rudder, or motor control, obviously.

When the Tx is turned on, the Tx LED Tx flashes 10 times, goes on solid, then it beeps twice. I think that what it always did.

I've tried rebinding it to the Tx, tried replacing Tx batteries, and tried binding it to my DX7. Always the same - about 6 quick Rx blinks and then the LED stays dark. And no joy!

I should have paid attention to the LED sequence when it was working.

Can someone please watch and share what the proper LED sequence is during normal power-up and also when binding?

Thanks!
Jim

Yes, I have the Horizon phone number, and will call them during working hours if I don't get it figured out before then.

Yes, I'm heading over to my LHS for some help this AM, but they don't open for several hours yet! It's great to know they have one that works there so I can "play" with it to troubleshoot mine, but you probably know about impatience!

Addendum: Rick at my LHS did some troubleshooting, determined that my transmitter would operate a new Vapor just fine, and swapped my dead Vapor for a good one. I'm back flying and Happy!

The LED flashes at turn-on and then goes solid on.

Last edited by rocket_jim; 07-20-2008 at 03:26 AM.
Old 07-20-2008, 05:04 AM
Rarbit

I have the Vapor and it's a great little flyer. I've flown it out doors for the last couple of days. It's usually calm here in the mornings and evenings.

I do have a problem, which is that the film on the main wing is starting to separate from the leading edge, probably due to crashing a few times. Does anyone know of a way to reattach it?
Old 07-20-2008, 05:44 AM
clt12981

Default Vapor

Love mind its a blast. Mod to charger. Take 23and forth battery out , use 110volt to 6volt trans to run charger. Have to leave 1st battery in for blinker light to work.

Chuck
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1723.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	73246   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1724.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	135.7 KB
ID:	73247  
Old 07-20-2008, 06:17 AM
John Seidelman

Years ago we did many home crafts and I just thought of one we used to do. Some were talking about repairing the wings because the film was pulling loose. Here is the one web site I googled and found something similar to what we worked with 40 years ago.

http://www.homecrafts.co.uk/html/pro...t2=72&cat3=496
Old 07-24-2008, 06:32 PM
adhoc
(inactive)

So I got a lot of Vapor flying in during a little vacation the last few days, and I've noticed an odd flight characteristic which I call "digging in". I'll get up high and push it over slightly to bring it lower, and of course it will speed up. In most planes I've flown, as they speed up that will generate more lift and the dive will gradually shallow out, or at worst they'll just maintain a relatively constant, reasonable dive that doesn't require any immediate action to recover; just have to pull out before it gets to the ground. But once my Vapor gets to a certain speed, it sort of "locks into" the dive, and even noses in more, and I have to break it out before it whacks into the ground!

My theory on what's happening is that the combination of the faster airflow and the angle of the horizontal stabilizer is causing it to flex, which sets up a positive feedback loop: the more the stabilizer flexes (leading edge) up, the more it "digs in" and noses the plane down, which causes it to go even faster and flex the stabilizer more, and so on...

I don't necessarily consider this a flaw in the Vapor's design; just something to be aware of. Most planes have both good and bad characteristics (hopefully more good than bad), and you just have to learn what each will do in various situations. This quirk of the Vapor never caused me to crash, although I wonder if it could catch a beginner unawares...

I was flying in a some moderate wind without much trouble. The wind has to get somewhat strong to overwhelm the Vapor. But the level of gustiness (or is it "gustyness"?) makes a big difference in how much fun it is to fly the Vapor -- a steady wind is a blast, because you can hover, but a gusty wind bounces you all over the place...

My biggest fear with the Vapor is that it will end up in a tree or on top of a building. It is like a leaf! And it would be tough to get down from a tree without destroying it...

A few other observations: as I mentioned in a previous post, the Vapor will almost hover. But more than once when I've got it nose up, I've accidently pushed it over, usually too close to the ground, and it has crashed inverted. I've also tried to fly inverted (something I have very little experience with), and it doesn't really fly very well upside-down -- very squirrelly! Maybe it is just me...

Still great fun! I find myself going through Vapor withdrawal when I can't fly...
Old 07-24-2008, 07:11 PM
Lancifer

..."The Vapor"..its as addicting anyways. i actually like flying my Vapor as exiting and relaxing as smoking #$t!!!...LOL. I love it. I was flying my airhog aero ace today and it landed in a pool...its fried just like me!!!...LOL

Last edited by ParkJetsFlyer; 07-29-2008 at 04:22 PM. Reason: Content
Old 07-24-2008, 08:19 PM
ontheedge

Wow, maybe Horizon has a new ad slogan in there somewhere....?

Last edited by ParkJetsFlyer; 07-29-2008 at 04:23 PM. Reason: Edited for quoted comments
Old 07-24-2008, 09:38 PM
Rabbitcreekok
Community Moderator

Originally Posted by adhoc View Post
So I got a lot of Vapor flying in during a little vacation the last few days, and I've noticed an odd flight characteristic which I call "digging in". I'll get up high and push it over slightly to bring it lower, and of course it will speed up. In most planes I've flown, as they speed up that will generate more lift and the dive will gradually shallow out, or at worst they'll just maintain a relatively constant, reasonable dive that doesn't require any immediate action to recover; just have to pull out before it gets to the ground. But once my Vapor gets to a certain speed, it sort of "locks into" the dive, and even noses in more, and I have to break it out before it whacks into the ground!

My theory on what's happening is that the combination of the faster airflow and the angle of the horizontal stabilizer is causing it to flex, which sets up a positive feedback loop: the more the stabilizer flexes (leading edge) up, the more it "digs in" and noses the plane down, which causes it to go even faster and flex the stabilizer more, and so on...

I don't necessarily consider this a flaw in the Vapor's design; just something to be aware of. Most planes have both good and bad characteristics (hopefully more good than bad), and you just have to learn what each will do in various situations. This quirk of the Vapor never caused me to crash, although I wonder if it could catch a beginner unawares...

I was flying in a some moderate wind without much trouble. The wind has to get somewhat strong to overwhelm the Vapor. But the level of gustiness (or is it "gustyness"?) makes a big difference in how much fun it is to fly the Vapor -- a steady wind is a blast, because you can hover, but a gusty wind bounces you all over the place...

My biggest fear with the Vapor is that it will end up in a tree or on top of a building. It is like a leaf! And it would be tough to get down from a tree without destroying it...

A few other observations: as I mentioned in a previous post, the Vapor will almost hover. But more than once when I've got it nose up, I've accidently pushed it over, usually too close to the ground, and it has crashed inverted. I've also tried to fly inverted (something I have very little experience with), and it doesn't really fly very well upside-down -- very squirrelly! Maybe it is just me...

Still great fun! I find myself going through Vapor withdrawal when I can't fly...
I finally got the receiver replaced on my Vapor and got to fly one battery before the tail skid took leave (Horizon is sending another skid).

I noticed what you were talking about adhoc. I moved my battery back as far as it would go against the receiver mount and it took that tendency away. I think it is a little forward CG problem.

As an aside, I just heard a jet passing overhead, went outside and a B-52 was passing over at about 5,000 feet. Used to see a lot of them at low levels around here because they had what was called Oil Burner Routes that were within 1/2 mile of my place. They would pass by at about 500 feet practicing TFTA flying.
Old 07-24-2008, 09:40 PM
Rabbitcreekok
Community Moderator

Last edited by ParkJetsFlyer; 07-29-2008 at 04:20 PM. Reason: Post deleted, Edited for quoted comment
Old 07-24-2008, 10:05 PM
Lancifer

:0

Last edited by Lancifer; 07-29-2008 at 06:31 AM.
Old 07-25-2008, 05:15 AM
adhoc
(inactive)

Originally Posted by Rabbitcreekok View Post
I noticed what you were talking about adhoc. I moved my battery back as far as it would go against the receiver mount and it took that tendency away. I think it is a little forward CG problem.
Bingo, you're exactly right, thanks! I've got the wings all the way forward, and the battery all the way back, and it flies just about perfectly. Even when the battery comes loose and hangs from the plane, the balance is fine...
Old 07-25-2008, 11:55 AM
Maxih

Rocket_jim, yep having the same issue atm. Unfortunately my LHS isn't quite as enthusiastic as yours was and just shrugs and makes pointless suggestions..

Is this a regular issue and is it fixable without having to replace the rx??

I've tried binding to the RTF transmitter & my DX6i, no luck. Just flashes for a bit then nothing. There is power there, just nothing else..

Anyone have any ideas??

Maxih..
Old 07-25-2008, 01:03 PM
rocket_jim
Fly Long and Land Softly

Maxih, it sounds like you ran into exactly the same problem I did. If after multiple tries with several different working transmitters, the LED flashes and then does nothing, it sounds to me like a new Rx will likely be required.

Since I was graciously allowed to swap out the entire plane, I learned nothing in-depth in the process. But then again I'd not have been able to troubleshoot it down at the board level anyway, much less to fix it!

Since then, I've modified my Vapor by removing that useless sliding battery tray to remove 0.5 grams of unneeded ballast. So effectively I've bought it if another Rx goes out on me.

I've thought about it. If another Rx goes out on me like the first time, then in one way I'd be willing to buy another new BNF Vapor while I got the Rx swapped out, to keep on flying! But then again, if a second one quits on me that same way, then logically: Two Strikes and you're OUT! and I should cut my losses and move on.

Meanwhile I'm flying mine every chance I get and enjoying it a lot with the battery swinging in the breeze. My other planes are all gathering dust!

Hopefully we two are isolated incidents, and the Vapor will continue on to Greatness!

Jim
Old 07-25-2008, 01:29 PM
Maxih

Thanks Jim. Might have to give my LHS a bit of a push for some repairs/replacement..

Really want it to be in the air again.. These lil things are just the greatest fun..

Scott...
Old 07-25-2008, 09:41 PM
Lancifer

Man i just got my Vapor today and i dont think i really like it that much as its fragile and the body twists easy. I like the Ember way better and thank god i bought replacement wings, stabilizers and a rudder as the carbon body on the rudder came apart and the film was off the frame as well. Piece of crap right out of the box. I emailed Hobby Zone and they are sending me a new one. I have to try again when it isnt so windy and also its 10 grams lighter then the ember. I like a little more weight. So far i like the Ember better. Oh yeah i was going to add scotch tape around all the edges of the wings and rudder and stabilizer for more support from having the film peel off!!
Old 07-28-2008, 09:57 PM
adhoc
(inactive)

Flying my Vapor has affected how I fly my other planes...

Blessed with very low wind this morning, I took three planes to my favorite park: my Vapor, my Stevens Aero Stik 2.0 (Slow Stick with improved balsa wing and tail feathers), and my SuperFly. I flew the Vapor first, even though the park gave me ridiculous amounts of space that I never used. Just to do it, I guess...

Then I took up my Stik, and I was driving it all around the park, yanking it through tight turns, multiple loops, etc. I'm normally a somewhat restrained flyer, and only occasionally try mild aerobatics. But this morning I was surprising myself! It had to be the Vapor -- I've gotten used to being able to zip it around, pull it up and fall through, turn on a dime, etc. I found myself a little impatient with how my Stik responded, and I was really pushing it for the first time...

Then the SuperFly, which as a delta more naturally requires active "driving" anyway. Compared to the Vapor and the Stik, I was taking it easy on the Fly... maybe I was holding back because if I flew it like I flew the Vapor, I'd probably plant it. (But then, a SuperFly can survive that...)
Old 07-29-2008, 05:41 PM
tjride

Just picked up a Vapor from my LHS. Can't wait to get it in the air. Glad I read this thread for some info. Thanks everyone.

Tom
Old 08-07-2008, 08:18 AM
gandhimtb

The vapor's durability is amazing it had a "mishap" with my cx2 crashing into it while it was secured in the styrafoam.It looked all mangled and broken and my heart sank, I toook it out of the box carefuly and taped the wing back together (the film had seperated from the frame of the wing) and it was almost as good as new. this plane is awesome. I didnt like the stock tx or charger, im using a minium charger and cx2 radio or dx7
Old 08-07-2008, 10:07 AM
Maxih

WARNING: ADDICTIVE LITTLE PLANES & MODERATE IMPATIENCE CAN BE COSTLY, KINDA.....

Let me explain. I've had my Vapor for a month or so now & have been having a ball of a time. Recently she started to glitch really badly and eventually stopped binding altogether.. The problem- dead Rx. The complication- Disinterested LHS.

SOOOO. I started checking out the hobby shops within a reasonable distance for a Rx.. Everyone was out of stock.

HOWEVER they did have BNF Vapors (can u see where this is heading?)

SO, i bought another.

Now once the Rx are back in stock, i will have 2 Vapors- Double the Fun.

They things are SOOO addictive....... Shouldn't have too much trouble finding someone to play with then i feel. Afterall, i'm supplying the plaything..

Is this considered extreme, should i seek help??
Old 08-07-2008, 11:51 AM
rocket_jim
Fly Long and Land Softly

Default Two Vapors are much more than twice the fun of just one!

Originally Posted by Maxih View Post
WARNING: ADDICTIVE LITTLE PLANES & MODERATE <snip>
SO, i bought another.

Now once the Rx are back in stock, i will have 2 Vapors- Double the Fun.
<snip>
I did exactly the same thing when I accidentally dropped my charger and broke the stabilizer. I bought a BNF Vapor to fly while awaiting the replacement stabilizer.

Since then I've flown once with my neighbor up the street who just bought a Vapor after flying mine. Two Vapors are much more than twice the fun of just one!

I'm looking forward to having two Vapors of my very own so I can share one with a flying friend and/or have a spare in case I break one. At $100 for a complete spare airframe and all flying electonics, plus adding another battery and a spare charger, I consider that quite a deal! As does my dear wife, who approves these purchases!

Jim
Old 08-07-2008, 12:17 PM
Maxih

Yep, it'll be great having twins. As you mentioned, fly one / repair one.

As for the approving spouse, lucky you... Mine doesn't mind me buying foam or other smallish items but if she found out about a "spur of the moment" Vapor, things may get uncomfortable..lol.

Mind you i did get permission for a Yardbird YB-22 & the bits necessary for a F-117 (RCpowers) Both because she thought they looked cute..

Go figure...

Quick Reply: 2 words: Parkzone VAPOR!

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.11073 seconds with 13 queries