Parkzone J3 Cub BL - Page 3 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

ParkFlyers Talk about all backyard and parkflyer aircraft here

Parkzone J3 Cub BL

Old 10-29-2008, 11:30 PM
groundrushesup
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Sam27000 View Post
Hi guys, your forum is awesome. Groundrushesup, I had a quick question. I am looking to repair the flimsy (MADE TO BRAKE) inner shell of my cub. How did you get to the inner shell to mod it? Did you just cut along the tape to cut the fuselage in half?

Thanks, sam
Hey Sam, welcome to Wattflyer. Always glad to see the rolls grow.

I actually removed the tape totally, as it is vinyl and gets stretched when you remove it and the adhesive is a one-shot sorta thing. once you get the firewall off, you can gently pull the double-sided tape beween the frame and the sides of the fuselage. when I put it back together I used thin CA (superglue) and a kind of 3M medical tape called "blenderm" which is great stuff and it holds well and takes paint.

Because the tail is joined with an adhesive, you have to be gentle not to kink the fuse sides back there while doing it, but it will come loose and pop out of the front.

In my case the reason I used wood to rebuild the front part is that I wanted to be able to use 3S 900mAh batteries, which are quite a bit larger (wider really) than the 2S 800mAh that comes stock. Th eadded weight of the fuse repair and the ailerons, paint, etc was offset with the larger 400-class motor, so you'll wanna consider weight. If i had it to do again with the stock stuff I would use balsa or lite-ply and epoxy. The key is to shore up the 'gap' between the firewall and the battery cage.

Hope this helps, chief. Feel free to ask an other questions, I'm here most days.

GRU
Old 10-30-2008, 12:58 AM
Sam27000

Great Thanks Ground!!! Just for further clarification what did you use to reattach the firewall, CA glue?

Thanks, sam
Old 10-30-2008, 06:35 PM
ltbidrawn

Default solid plane

despite being a relatively simple plane, the j3 cub is a freakin blast. all my bros have them and we do the air combat thing with the pz modules. originally we used our pz spits for combat but they fly too fast. the cubs are much better platforms.
we also use them for airdrops...bubble gum bombs over the kids is a big hit.
we have all retained the stock radios to be compliant with the pz modules.
no problems so far.
the j3 is a great plane. i bought one for my nephew as his first rc plane.
the kid's a natural...must be all the experience gleaned from his x-box.

i used a tail wheel from one of those macdonald happymeal toys. i also use a 2-cell lipo a bit larger then the recommended batt. id suggest changing the connectors to proper deans connectors.
Old 12-08-2008, 05:32 PM
mojoflyer
Cant learn till you crash

Default j3 cub bl problems

Ok. I have the J3 BL and love it. I have read alot about the radio systems being junk. I agree. The other day I was flying and it litterally just fell out of the air. No throttle, no controll. Luckally I was at low alt. and did not sustain any damage. However, i'm now afraid to fly it with the old ZX10. I have a JR xf421 and a R700 reciever. I would like to swap the ZX10 for the JR. But the ESC will not work with it. Servos are fine. Is my best bet to buy a new ESC they will work with my JR stuff?
Old 12-08-2008, 06:45 PM
groundrushesup
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by mojoflyer View Post
Ok. I have the J3 BL and love it. I have read alot about the radio systems being junk. I agree. The other day I was flying and it litterally just fell out of the air. No throttle, no controll. Luckally I was at low alt. and did not sustain any damage. However, i'm now afraid to fly it with the old ZX10. I have a JR xf421 and a R700 reciever. I would like to swap the ZX10 for the JR. But the ESC will not work with it. Servos are fine. Is my best bet to buy a new ESC they will work with my JR stuff?
the 10A Eflite ESC won't work with you radio? Why not?
Old 12-09-2008, 12:27 AM
mojoflyer

I wish I knew. The bl motor makes a distinct beep-beep when it's ready to take power from the ZX10 reciever and everything is plugged in correctly. When I put in the R700 reciever the beep changes and I get no response from the ESC. The servos function properly but i've tried a couple of times w/ the R700 and the only thing I got was once the motor came on with no throttle input. The throttle was all the way down.
Old 12-09-2008, 04:04 AM
groundrushesup
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by mojoflyer View Post
I wish I knew. The bl motor makes a distinct beep-beep when it's ready to take power from the ZX10 reciever and everything is plugged in correctly. When I put in the R700 reciever the beep changes and I get no response from the ESC. The servos function properly but i've tried a couple of times w/ the R700 and the only thing I got was once the motor came on with no throttle input. The throttle was all the way down.
You know, the funny thing is - the thing making the beeps is the motor, not the ESC - surprises most to realize that but the precision with which the ESC controls phases in a BL motor allows them to basically tweak the high-pitched whine of the motor into a tune (or tones, in this instance.)

This particular ESC gave me fits when I first started using it (it so happens it was my first brushless system) - the first beep you hear is just an ACK signal that there is power to the motor from the ESC. The second beep(s) tells you how many cells you have the ESC programmed for (for low voltage cutoff purposes), and the last beep is the one saying "hey I am armed."

Next time you plug the ESC into your R700, put the throttle all the way down, as well as the throttle trim all the way down. If that doesn't work, consider the possiblilty that the throttle channel is reversed (hey, stranger thnigs have happened to me) and put the throttle all the way up (trim too).

If you get the arming signal, the next step is to program the ESC correctly. Here's the E-Flite programming guide.

Good luck and keep me posted!

GRU
Old 12-10-2008, 03:05 AM
mojoflyer

GRU. Thank you for the programing guide link. It was quite usefull in diagnosing my problems. Turns out all my travel and trim adjustments on my throttle were all out of whack (They were still set to the previous plane that the reciever was in "which I crashed over a year ago"). Anyhow, I sucessfully got into program mode for the ESC. From there it wasn't to long untill I got through the programing process and heard all the correct "tones". Still nothing from the throttle. I tried just reversing the direction of the channel but it didn't work. So I then tried adjusting the travel in the computer and figured out that was the problem. Now everything is adjusted correctly i'm looking forward to flying my cub without the fear of falling out of the air.
Old 12-31-2008, 09:42 PM
FlyUSAF

Originally Posted by Flyzit View Post
Hello all. I'm new here to these forums and enjoy reading about all the experiences others have had flying. I got the J3 BL as a plug and play about 3 weeks ago to replace a cheap China knock off I had that was way too brittle. Had about 10 good flights and one bad one with the BL and wound up bending the motor shaft. Got a new shaft so now its time to send it back into the air.
Anyway, thanks for all the info you guys provide.

My planes: J3 BL, Super Cub, Easy Star, YB22, Slow Stick, Firebird Commander and a very modified Sky Fly.
I just got the J-3 and I went on the bend the motor shaft on the third flight I've purchased the new shaft, does anyone know what size allen wrenches I need to remove the old one from the motor/spinner? Thanks
Old 01-01-2009, 12:04 AM
groundrushesup
Super Contributor

Wink

Originally Posted by FlyUSAF View Post
I just got the J-3 and I went on the bend the motor shaft on the third flight I've purchased the new shaft, does anyone know what size allen wrenches I need to remove the old one from the motor/spinner? Thanks

Umm, the small one. LOL Seriously I will try and remember to pull my stock motor out of my parts box and see what size the set screw is. If you have a drill press you can save yourself some angst and use it to squarely press out the shaft (the set screw holds it in place, but there is a considerable friction fit.

GRU
Old 02-16-2009, 07:48 PM
benovisoff
aint crashin aint flyin

I had mine, until an e-hawk sliced through it in mid air, and got the wings and fuse in half. The ten amp is in there is nothing. If you go to a 1" bigger prop, you are pulling at least 12 amps. Problem is, is that motor is pulling 10.5-11 amps as is. I added a tail wheel first thing. once you are ready, I would get a 3s 800mah lipo, and a 20 amp esc. it will go beautiful. Stock, it does have some power im not gonna lie. A three cell maybe too much for the whole firewall setup, so I would reinfoce it. just glue the motor to the front with epoxy, that'll do. Also, the stock servos are cheap. When I was a noob noob, I had put the electronics from the cub after it was sliced up onto a slow stick. they are cheaply made stuff. It kept the ss very light with that 2s and 370 motor, 2 servos, and 10amp esc, and 3channel radio. It flew like a slow stick. kinda like a stock easystar, or maybe vapor. But very soon, the esc went out, the motor craked badly, the servos stripped, and even the reciever cam apart. I would reccomend these electronis in a very small flat foamie. like in that funtana 300
Old 02-28-2009, 04:43 PM
WEnty

I'm waiting for the warm weather to come so I can fly mine. I can't wait to see how I crash it... I'm running the Thunder Power Lipo 7.4v 2100mAh batteries in mine.
Old 02-28-2009, 04:46 PM
mascarex
mascarex

ok
Old 02-28-2009, 05:39 PM
benovisoff
aint crashin aint flyin

Originally Posted by WEnty View Post
I'm waiting for the warm weather to come so I can fly mine. I can't wait to see how I crash it... I'm running the Thunder Power Lipo 7.4v 2100mAh batteries in mine.
whoah!. 2100mah is way too heavy and too big to fit. It needs an 800 mah 2s. the cx2 lipo is best.
Old 02-28-2009, 07:52 PM
WEnty

Originally Posted by benovisoff View Post
whoah!. 2100mah is way too heavy and too big to fit. It needs an 800 mah 2s. the cx2 lipo is best.
I'm strapping them under the plane and there not that heavy. There's enough juice to pull the weight.
Old 02-28-2009, 10:29 PM
benovisoff
aint crashin aint flyin

alright.... Later, go for about a 20amp esc and a 1000mah 3s.
Old 03-01-2009, 01:58 PM
WEnty

Who knows maybe it wont fly at all....
Old 03-01-2009, 03:14 PM
groundrushesup
Super Contributor

Who knows maybe it wont fly at all....

It can use a little weight. I had a couple instances with this plane where small breezes made it flip out on me, so anything to stabilize the flittiness helps.
Old 03-01-2009, 04:56 PM
WEnty

Originally Posted by groundrushesup View Post
It can use a little weight. I had a couple instances with this plane where small breezes made it flip out on me, so anything to stabilize the flittiness helps.
They weigh about 1.9 oz. more then the stock Lipo that comes with the Cub. I don't think that is to much more....
Old 03-01-2009, 05:13 PM
Figure.N9ne
Super Contributor

They weigh about 1.9 oz. more then the stock Lipo that comes with the Cub. I don't think that is to much more....

its about a 12-13% increase in weight. it should still fly but not as gracefully as before. just make sure you have the CoG right
Old 05-23-2009, 11:15 PM
billiam2536

Default Shaft replacement

What size hex drive do you use when replacing the shaft? I can't find the right one to undo the 2 set screws on the top of the bell.

PS: How's that jailbreak working for ya Yaniel?
Old 05-24-2009, 12:07 AM
Figure.N9ne
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by billiam2536 View Post
What size hex drive do you use when replacing the shaft? I can't find the right one to undo the 2 set screws on the top of the bell.

PS: How's that jailbreak working for ya Yaniel?

no problems here, been jb'd since 1.1.3 and every release since then.
Old 05-24-2009, 12:09 AM
billiam2536

Nice, I jb mine early last month. I love it! Any idea about the wrench?
Old 05-25-2009, 11:25 PM
greenflash
Greenflash

Hi,
I thought I'd add a suggestion for batteries.
I have a PZ J3 BL and it remains one of my favorites. I measured only about 45 watts stock. One would think that's underpowered for 15 oz, but it climbs quickly and I have to throttle back to just over 1/2 throttle for cruising to keep it from going too high. Crusing at 1/2 throttle, flights over 15 min. are a piece of cake. Loops easily, only rolls are difficult. I actually prefer it to the HZ Supercub, which I also have.

Batteries for the J3 BL: I have a stash of the Mystery 900 ma 2s lipos, at $7 each (and less for quantity orders) from Dealextreme.
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.7621
You're ordering from Hong Kong, so it takes a while to get your order. But I doubt there's a better price anywhere. There was a problem with batteries sent in mid-2008 coded "...H3R", but my six all end with "...HHH", the good ones. I have puffed one, but I deserved that; a 20 min+ flight where I got carried away, having too much fun.
Old 07-08-2009, 09:26 PM
shawnkilpatrick

Default Im Back!!!

Hi everyone, sorry I havent posted in a long time... I actually went to Ontario for a year of University and didnt fly at all! Im back for the summer and have a few upgrades to my Cub to share with you all.

I had two crashes resulting from loosing signal with my stock radio, therefore I went with the DX5e. DSM2 with line of sight range for $110 CAN, you cant beat it. I have also bought a few 900mha 3cell lipos, I had a 1000mha 3cell in there on the last crash and it got a hole punched in it from some broken plastic. I realized how I was loosing my lipos so I made some inserts to fit in behind the firewall and one to sit above the old battery access hole. The insert above the battery hole is form fitted for my lipos (ill share pics soon).

Also a watts up meter has been added to my tool list. I will post once I check the specs out with the stock prop!

Overall had good times with this plane, most of the damage done was from loosing signal. It would just stop responding and do a slow wide radius circle down to the ground (once into a tree lol). I have not been out for the first flight since the mods but I am really looking forward to it.

Quick Reply: Parkzone J3 Cub BL

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.17019 seconds with 11 queries