Open AMA Discussion Thread (Park Pilot Program Included) - Page 3 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Open AMA Discussion Thread (Park Pilot Program Included)

Old 12-23-2007, 06:55 PM
Bub Steve
Super Contributor

Default It's all about friends

Lieutenant Loughead::I'm have'in to much fun I guess,Murocflyer:: I'm join'in AMA (out of,since 83)As I've met so many good bub's Here an hope to go their clubs & meets to fly with um sometimes, It's for them I join, Not Insurance, not Magazines, not the slimers ( though I keep 22 wet ones in my hanger) , It's all about friends , Ya'll's Friend&bub, steve
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	planes 820.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	325.5 KB
ID:	50049   Click image for larger version

Name:	planes 584.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	110.6 KB
ID:	50050  
Old 12-23-2007, 07:49 PM
Murocflyer
WAA-08 Pilot #1

Steve,

That's great to hear. And you're right. It's all about friends. I'd be happy to fly with you anytime. And learn more about building boats.

Frank
Old 12-24-2007, 02:35 AM
Lieutenant Loughead
UNCLUB OWNER

Not to be a party pooper, but aren't we all friends here -- on the internet? I have plenty of friends I fly with on a weekly basis at the soccer fields... I haven't been an AMA member for the last 4 years...

I suppose my question is, "Do you REALLY need to join the AMA to get friends?" :o
Old 12-24-2007, 02:44 AM
gfdengine204
Super Contributor

Of course not. But, part of why I joined the AMA is to fund the main group working to protect my privellages to fly radio controlled aircraft.
Old 12-24-2007, 02:46 AM
Bub Steve
Super Contributor

Lieutenant Loughead::I mean anybody who flys my bub! I fly alone and don't even know anyone else who flys around here so my fiends are you guys and I'm with you guy's AMA or not , and by the way, your a good bub too! your bub, stevecooper
Originally Posted by Lieutenant Loughead View Post
Not to be a party pooper, but aren't we all friends here -- on the internet? I have plenty of friends I fly with on a weekly basis at the soccer fields... I haven't been an AMA member for the last 4 years...

I suppose my question is, "Do you REALLY need to join the AMA to get friends?" :o
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	petty an red 234.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	295.4 KB
ID:	50106  
Old 12-24-2007, 03:55 AM
Murocflyer
WAA-08 Pilot #1

I don't know, friends usually buy me lunch every now and then.

Still waiting...

Frank
Old 12-24-2007, 04:32 AM
denial15
Swede

Originally Posted by Murocflyer View Post
I don't know, friends usually buy me lunch every now and then.

Still waiting...

Frank

That does it. I don't like any of you.
Old 12-24-2007, 04:36 AM
Biplane Murphy
2 Wings, Twice The Fun

I'll buy you lunch Frank.....but you have to come to California way out in the boonies to get it....hahhahahaha
Old 12-24-2007, 04:50 AM
Biplane Murphy
2 Wings, Twice The Fun

Originally Posted by gfdengine204 View Post
Of course not. But, part of why I joined the AMA is to fund the main group working to protect my privellages to fly radio controlled aircraft.
Me too.....and also because I only like to fly at my club field.
Old 12-24-2007, 07:28 AM
Airhead
Redneck Member

Originally Posted by denial15 View Post
That does it. I don't like any of you.
You either?....
Old 12-24-2007, 11:48 AM
Murocflyer
WAA-08 Pilot #1

Originally Posted by Biplane Murphy View Post
I'll buy you lunch Frank.....but you have to come to California way out in the boonies to get it....hahhahahaha

Packing my bags...

...see you on Saturday.

Frank

PS I'd like a dolphin made from glass and an "antigue" picture also.
Old 12-24-2007, 11:50 AM
Murocflyer
WAA-08 Pilot #1

Originally Posted by gfdengine204 View Post
That is why I joined initially. Call me crazy.

Frank
Old 12-24-2007, 02:09 PM
Murocflyer
WAA-08 Pilot #1

BTW, did everyone know that if you are under 19 years of age you can join the AMA for $1?

Frank
Old 12-27-2007, 04:40 PM
Lieutenant Loughead
UNCLUB OWNER

What if you're under 39 years of age?

Also, I thought the $1 deal only applied to kids under 19 years of age, who live in the same HOUSEHOLD as an existing full member. :o
Old 12-27-2007, 06:41 PM
crxmanpat
Community Moderator

What if you're under 39 years of age?

Also, I thought the $1 deal only applied to kids under 19 years of age, who live in the same HOUSEHOLD as an existing full member. :o
Guy,

No, you don't have to have an Open/Senior/Life member in your household in order to get AMA for $1 if you are under 19 as of July 1 for the year you are applying for ($15 if you want MA). I think what you're thinking of is the extra family membership, which is $30 for additional adult members if there is already an open member in the household. Example, if my wife also wished to join, her membership cost is only $30 since I am already an open member. Youth membership does not require that an open member be part of the household.

Frank,

Regarding your question about the "love/hate the AMA" thing. I think a lot of it stems from recent developments in electric flight. Up to about 5 years ago, if you wanted to fly RC it was pretty much done with internal combustion engines. In most places, this meant you had to go fly at the local club field, which of course most likely required membership in the AMA. It was just something you had to do (much like having to have had an FCC radio operators permit years ago in order to use a trnasmitter).

The problem now is that electric flyers have started seeking out clubs to fly at, but were shunned by the IC flyers because they didn't fly "real airplanes" (I was very sad to see similar language in the AMA ad for the Park Pilot program). Most electric flyers attributed this attitude to the AMA, as it was an AMA chartered club.

So I don't think it's the AMA per se, but the attitude exhibited by certain individuals at AMA chartered clubs that has driven such a wedge between IC and electric flyers.

Then again, I could be totally off base.
Old 12-27-2007, 07:23 PM
pd1
Still Learning

Pat, There is a small percentage of our population that are jerks.

A small percentage of those that fly models are jerks.

A small percentage of those jerks are also in and out of AMA clubs.

It's unfortunate that these jerks are the ones newcomers meet when going to some clubs.

As I said some of the jerks are outside of the clubs as well, so not dealing with clubs will not guarantee that you won't run into these jerks.

The AMA does not run our club, at all.
We follow their guidelines and we actively embrace newcomers.

Whether they fly pod and boom trainers or advanced planes.
We don't care.

Our club has it's own trainer and trains newcomers for free on Thursday evenings.
Or you can train with your own plane.
Some clubs are worth a second look.

Paul
Old 12-27-2007, 09:10 PM
Lieutenant Loughead
UNCLUB OWNER

Paul -- I understand what you are saying. However, that doesn't change the fact that 99% of the time that a newbie visits an AMA sanctioned field, they get the "cold shoulder". Don't believe me? Ask around -- just don't ask those in your club. :o

Here's another thing to think about... When that newbie shows up with his pod and boom, and wants to fly it at your field, what are the rules? Does he have to take the training class before he can fly? Must he prove he can successfully land his aircraft before he is "turned loose" at your field?

It's great that your club has a trainer and trains newcomers for free EVERY Thursday evening. Many clubs SAY they do this, but when the newbie shows up week after week, there's nobody there...

What if this guy has been flying for 10 years? What if this guy thinks the "rules" are nothing but a method for the club (or AMA) to "weed out" undesireables?

On the other hand, the same guy can go to his empty soccer complex, and fly to his heart's content -- without the need to "prove" himslef.

Do you see how the rift is created? Do you see how there is a very negative perception of clubs and the AMA?
Old 12-27-2007, 09:28 PM
pd1
Still Learning

LL, I do see your point.
I also see that not all people and places are like that.

It really is a pity that new people have to run into jerks like that.

I'm not defending them but just last summer I was flying at a local school when someone came out with a pod and boom trainer.

I went over and introduced myself and asked what frequency he was on and asked him if he'd like to join our group in a better part of the field.

He declined and proceeded to fly his plane directly into a tree.
He had set up less than 20 feet from a tree line.

I did not ask to help him, and I could have avoided that scenario but I don't think it's my place to force help on someone that doesn't appear to be looking for it.

I wondered if he thinks we were the non helpful jerks that day.

Sometimes there's two sides to a story.

Paul
Old 12-27-2007, 09:34 PM
Bub Steve
Super Contributor

Paul -- I understand what you are saying. However, that doesn't change the fact that 99% of the time that a newbie visits an AMA sanctioned field, they get the "cold shoulder". Don't believe me? Ask around -- just don't ask those in your club. :o

Here's another thing to think about... When that newbie shows up with his pod and boom, and wants to fly it at your field, what are the rules? Does he have to take the training class before he can fly? Must he prove he can successfully land his aircraft before he is "turned loose" at your field?

It's great that your club has a trainer and trains newcomers for free EVERY Thursday evening. Many clubs SAY they do this, but when the newbie shows up week after week, there's nobody there...

What if this guy has been flying for 10 years? What if this guy thinks the "rules" are nothing but a method for the club (or AMA) to "weed out" undesireables?

On the other hand, the same guy can go to his empty soccer complex, and fly to his heart's content -- without the need to "prove" himslef.

Do you see how the rift is created? Do you see how there is a very negative perception of clubs and the AMA?
Lieutenant Loughead: this is probley the best post I've ever read on this, your bub,steve
Old 12-27-2007, 09:44 PM
Neko

Paul -- I understand what you are saying. However, that doesn't change the fact that 99% of the time that a newbie visits an AMA sanctioned field, they get the "cold shoulder"...

LL,

The solution is to join the club and help change the attitude by being welcoming to the newbies. My experience is that some of the old f**ts are jerks, and some are really nice. Depends on who's flying when you show up.

Neko
Old 12-27-2007, 10:00 PM
pd1
Still Learning

Originally Posted by Neko View Post
LL,

The solution is to join the club and help change the attitude by being welcoming to the newbies. My experience is that some of the old f**ts are jerks, and some are really nice. Depends on who's flying when you show up.

Neko

Exactly.
The only thing I'll add is,jerks are not bound to a certain age group.

Paul
Old 12-27-2007, 10:41 PM
crxmanpat
Community Moderator

Exactly right Paul. In one group of guys that I fly with (not a club, just a bunch of guys that fly at the park), the most helpful person of the bunch just happens to be the oldest as well.

He's out there at the park just about every day, and knows everybody. In fact, there were a dozen of us there on Monday morning. A man and his son showed up with a Super Cub RTF, and Rus was happy to walk down and away from the regular flyers and help these guys get the plane airborne, and provided some basic flight instruction. By the end of the 30 minute session, both father and son had taken the sticks for a few minutes.

I've learned a lot from him myself the past few years.
Old 12-28-2007, 01:02 AM
Biplane Murphy
2 Wings, Twice The Fun

My very small club loves having new people at the field. Whether they are young,old,experienced,novice,never flown....we welcome them all.....we have a club trainer...and we are happy to teach folks to fly....

Our club has kids all the way up to guys in there 80's.....even 1 female member....and everyone is friendly...

first rule....no AMA card, no solo flights...but they can fly buddy boxed to an AMA member...
Old 12-28-2007, 02:02 AM
patnchris

I think some have touched on why the riff between parkflyers and club flyers exists. I flew in parks for a year before joining the AMA and a local club. I flew in parks, early in the morning, when no one else was around, so never put anyone in danger. When I joined the club, I met with a lot of bias. I think that fuel engine flyers assume that it is a natural progression for someone to start flying electric, and then "graduate to fuel". In my case, this was not the case. While I appreciated the fuel flyers and their planes, I personally was committed to electrics and joined the club, so I could fly larger, more powerful electrics. Once they figured out that I wasn't going to "graduate" , many treated me like I had some contageous disease. It has taken a year, and now they are used to me, and my weirdness. They are not nasty. They just exclude me, to some extent.
It took me a while, to figure out,but I think that many old time fuel pilots are worried that with the advances in electrics, the slimers they fly will become obsolete. Like anyone else, they are rallying around flag to protect what what they preceive as the only way. Since the majority of flyers in the AMA are slimer pilots, it is only natural that there will be bias tilted in that direction.
I joined the AMA because I believe that RC flyers need a strong voice to lobby governing bodies for our rights. The club requires it as does the owner of the land that our club field sits on. In many ways I think this is a good idea because just being associated with the AMA has a tendency to make people become more conscious of the rules and saftey procedures. Having the insurance is just an added perk to membership, as is the magazine.
Do I still fly in parks???.....You bet. !!...I carry my Mini Ultra Stick and Mini Funtana in my truck at all times.....Nothing like a couple of flights before work, or at an extended lunch to make a day better...
The above comments are nothing more than my opinion.....Pat
Old 12-28-2007, 02:08 AM
Biplane Murphy
2 Wings, Twice The Fun

Hi Pat.....just wait till the oldtimers eyesight starts fading......some of them at my club are going electric because of that......slow parkflyers are keeping them in the hobby...

My club is probably 50% electric by #'s of aircraft.....most guys fly both....electric guys got into glow planes, and glow guys got into electric...Very few fly only one or the other.....

Quick Reply: Open AMA Discussion Thread (Park Pilot Program Included)

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.14623 seconds with 13 queries