Open AMA Discussion Thread (Park Pilot Program Included) - Page 25 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Open AMA Discussion Thread (Park Pilot Program Included)

Old 01-20-2009, 05:59 PM
Bub Steve
Super Contributor

To all AMA admin's::Why can't AMA just tell Their clubs to let um in'
right now PPP's like have'in to sit a the kids table at Thanksgiving while the big-Dogs eat,, If their were some Big shots in AMA that felt that way there would'nt be any probs but there must be alot of the big-shots who Don't care for "toy-Planes" and ain't gonna change it seems even though We out# um By far!! I've only met a few Bad apples But they were REAL BAD!!!!RCU Has a BUNCH off um over there that don't even want Kids fly'in Watt planes , I had to stop posting there , even had one guy HACK my computer cause I put him on my Ignoe list as he Hated my Kids club and would follow me around the site *****'in at me every time I posted no matter what I was posting, ,, RCU would even ask him about it, I saved all the proof and IP# and everything prove'in he did it But they Didn't care ethier as hes a AMA big-shot and wouldn't respond to complants about him , Yet ,I diegress ,If theres Hope it's guys like Bill&Kev who'll make it better Bub, steve PS now you know "the rest of the story"
Old 01-20-2009, 08:45 PM
crxmanpat
Community Moderator

Steve,

The problem, as mentioned before, is not that clubs don't want PPP members. It all has to do with the amount of liability insurance coverage.

For example, our club is electric-only. We just recently got a permit from the City to allow us to fly in one of the parks. The only requirement from the city is that our club carry a flying site owners policy (costs us $60/yr), and that all flyers carry at least $2M in liability coverage.

Unfortunately, PPP only carries $500K liability coverage. Therefore, the AMA cannot "force" existing clubs to let PPP members join. Don't get me wrong, I'd love it if PPP members could fly at our site. After all, most of the planes we fly fall into the AMA's parkflyer definition. So it has nothing to do with the AMA "big shots". It's simply a matter of insurance coverage.

And just a brief history on how the PPP came to be. A few years ago the AMA sent out surveys asking what people wanted for parkflyers. The overwhelming response was lower insurance, no mag and lower membership dues. This is exactly what the AMA came up with in the current PPP plan. So the AMA gave people what they asked for.
Old 01-20-2009, 09:06 PM
Bub Steve
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by crxmanpat View Post
Steve,

The problem, as mentioned before, is not that clubs don't want PPP members. It all has to do with the amount of liability insurance coverage.

For example, our club is electric-only. We just recently got a permit from the City to allow us to fly in one of the parks. The only requirement from the city is that our club carry a flying site owners policy (costs us $60/yr), and that all flyers carry at least $2M in liability coverage.

Unfortunately, PPP only carries $500K liability coverage. Therefore, the AMA cannot "force" existing clubs to let PPP members join. Don't get me wrong, I'd love it if PPP members could fly at our site. After all, most of the planes we fly fall into the AMA's parkflyer definition. So it has nothing to do with the AMA "big shots". It's simply a matter of insurance coverage.

And just a brief history on how the PPP came to be. A few years ago the AMA sent out surveys asking what people wanted for parkflyers. The overwhelming response was lower insurance, no mag and lower membership dues. This is exactly what the AMA came up with in the current PPP plan. So the AMA gave people what they asked for.
2M in insurance covers a 1/3 scale 110cc Monster,(I like um!!)is near right but if 1/2M More than covers what they let them fly, Fairs-Fair, They need to do some fine tune'in to say the least! I'll end-up join'in again someday (PPP this time), Like I said most AMA'er's are great! but You can't pee in a potraPottie without insurance anymore, I remember when we took our own chances, Insurance is a con most the time anyway and folk don't take any responsibility for the things they do cause their butts are covered, People take MORE chances when they know "Insurace will cover it, your bub, steve
Old 01-20-2009, 09:47 PM
Murocflyer
WAA-08 Pilot #1

Great summary Pat, thanks for sharing that.

Going back to my question that may have got overlooked, what have we learned in the year that the PPP has been in affect?

Thanks,

Frank
Old 01-20-2009, 10:00 PM
crxmanpat
Community Moderator

Steve,

Unfortunately for us, the insurance coverage is mandated by the City of Mesa, not by what we can provide under the open AMA membership. And you're right, parkflyers should be fine with $500K.

But one of my arguments has always been, parkflyers can kill too. Just imagine flying your favorite foamy at the park. For some reason, your RX signs off and the plane flies away (it has happened to me more than once already). It lands in a busy road and causes a head-on collision that kills a family of four. That $500K isn't going to cover you very well.

In my case, I was lucky that my one true fly-away did not go into the 4-lane road next to the park, but instead went down in a watershed area off the road. But I'm glad I had the full AMA coverage, just in case.
Old 01-20-2009, 11:15 PM
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Cool

Originally Posted by firemanbill View Post
We debated about it for a while before accepting it. Our biggest concern was a PP member joining and growing into the bigger A/C without upping the status to full AMA membership.
During our discussions this came up.

Of course this is to be avoided, but the good news is that if it were to happen, the club would not be at risk in any way in terms of insurance.

The individual, on the other hand, could be denied coverage. So the club woudl be fine, the individual could be at financial risk.

The PPP members we had were very happy to comply and took our warnings about what they could fly very seriously. We don't expect any issues.