Scorpion Motor Q&A - Show us your Scorpion! - Page 4 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Power Systems Talk about motors, ESC speed controllers, gear drives, propellers, power system simulators and all power system related topics

Scorpion Motor Q&A - Show us your Scorpion!

Old 01-25-2008, 03:54 AM
Lieutenant Loughead
UNCLUB OWNER

Randy -- I have a customer who wants to use a Scorpion motor in an Alfa ducted fan.

However, it seems the motor shaft needs to be reversed for ducted fan use -- do you have the parts we need to reverse the motor shaft?

The two Scorpion motors we have are:
  • 2221-10
  • 2221-6
thank you!
Old 01-25-2008, 08:46 PM
Ramovan
RC Dude Hobbies

Originally Posted by Lieutenant Loughead View Post
Randy -- I have a customer who wants to use a Scorpion motor in an Alfa ducted fan.

However, it seems the motor shaft needs to be reversed for ducted fan use -- do you have the parts we need to reverse the motor shaft?

The two Scorpion motors we have are:
  • 2221-10
  • 2221-6
thank you!
The Scorpion HK series was designed for helicopters, small prop planes, and ducted fans so those motors should work as they are. Looking at the Alfa ducted fan it appears that moving the shaft to the other end shouldn't be required, but I haven't tried this so I can't say for sure. The shaft in these motors is a press-fit so theoretically the two motor halves could be seperated and the shaft pushed thru to the other side using a vise. Let us know what you find out.
Old 01-25-2008, 09:40 PM
Lieutenant Loughead
UNCLUB OWNER

Randy -- I don't think you can just push the shaft through the stator half of the motor; there is a "c-clip" which only connects to one end of the shaft.
Old 01-25-2008, 09:44 PM
EpoweredRc
3D Flyer

Originally Posted by Liquidity View Post
Sorry Chris, I overlooked it. Yes, the Eflite mount works perfect with the Scorpion motor. Hodges did not have any Scorpion stick mounts in, so I checked if it woudl fit the EFlite perfectly, and it did.
Thanks I knew the 30 series wouldnt line up. I have a extra mount and considering buying a motor for my flying delta thats my avatar.
Old 01-25-2008, 10:35 PM
Liquidity
Combat Vet

I want to give one of those HK series motors a try on my lynx. I am currently running a Dons wicked motor on 4s. My top speed is 131.
Old 01-26-2008, 11:21 PM
EpoweredRc
3D Flyer

Originally Posted by Liquidity View Post
I want to give one of those HK series motors a try on my lynx. I am currently running a Dons wicked motor on 4s. My top speed is 131.
WOW, thats moving pretty good, whats a lynx?
Old 01-26-2008, 11:40 PM
Liquidity
Combat Vet

It is a Hobby-Lobby Lynx. Check it out on their website. However I do not use the Ducted Fan, I use a pusher prop.
Old 01-27-2008, 02:54 PM
worldraft

Arrow Impresive thread

I just found this thread and I think it’s very cool and I decided to get in and ask questions.
First of all I am scratch building a p40 that has a wing span of approximately 104” but I don’t know yet what the weight will be.
  • What motor would be strong enough to make this plane fly
  • Is there drawings out there for a person to follow when connecting there system
Jean
Old 01-27-2008, 09:09 PM
Ramovan
RC Dude Hobbies

Default Big P-40 Power

Originally Posted by worldraft View Post
I just found this thread and I think itís very cool and I decided to get in and ask questions.
First of all I am scratch building a p40 that has a wing span of approximately 104Ē but I donít know yet what the weight will be.
  • What motor would be strong enough to make this plane fly
  • Is there drawings out there for a person to follow when connecting there system
Jean
The flying weight is probably the most critical information needed when looking for a motor, but with a 104" wingspan I think you're definitely going to need power in the 40mm series of motors. These are .90 to .120 4-stroke replacements and can easily produce 14 pounds of thrust. The 4020 series are 1500watt motors and the 4025 are 2000 watt motors.

There are some drawings available for connecting your power system. If you go with a high-voltage speed controller with built-in battery eliminator cicuit (BEC) the connections are pretty simple.

Click image for larger version

Name:	wiring-diagram-tp-high-grade-esc.gif
Views:	1208
Size:	22.7 KB
ID:	53761
Old 01-27-2008, 10:49 PM
Ramovan
RC Dude Hobbies

Default Scorpion Models Web Page

Page 2 of the Scorpion Powered Models web page is now published and half done - with 10 new models. Thank you everyone that submitted your model! They all look awesome.

Page 2
http://www.rcdude.com/servlet/.fc11d...onSetups2/Page

I need 10 more setups to complete the page so if anyone else wants to submit an airplane just post it here or send me a PM.
Old 01-28-2008, 01:10 AM
worldraft

Default Thanks

Thanks Dude I'm looking at the web site tonight as I'm going to need this soon.
Jean
Old 01-28-2008, 01:13 AM
worldraft

I'm looking at the web site and I see a number such as 4025-10 or 4025-12, what is the differance?
Old 01-28-2008, 01:30 AM
Ramovan
RC Dude Hobbies

I'm looking at the web site and I see a number such as 4025-10 or 4025-12, what is the differance?
Both of these motors are the identical physical size. The last number is the windings (turns). This determines the Kv (RPM per volt) for the motor. More turns = lower Kv (less RPM) but more torque for larger props. Lower turns = higher Kv (more RPM) but less torque for smaller props.

It's all about matching the most efficient power for the prop you intend to run. Hopefully we'll get some prop charts on these motors soon.
Old 01-28-2008, 01:42 AM
worldraft

Ok I saw the difference between the 10 & 12 and I assumed that the 12 has more torque, is that the case.
Because of the size of the plane do you think I should wait for the bigger motor to come out?

Jean
Old 01-28-2008, 01:44 AM
worldraft

I'd like to put a 27" 3 blade prop on the motor, what do you think?
Old 01-28-2008, 03:28 AM
Ramovan
RC Dude Hobbies

I'd like to put a 27" 3 blade prop on the motor, what do you think?
Ya you might need a larger motor for that! Especially if you think your plane will be over 15 pounds. I would want at least a 1:1 power ratio.
Old 01-28-2008, 05:13 AM
worldraft

When do you think the bigger motor will be avalable? And by the way yes it will be more then 15 lbs, althought I'm not sure but I think it will be a little over 35lbs
Old 01-28-2008, 02:10 PM
Lieutenant Loughead
UNCLUB OWNER

Randy -- I don't think you can just push the shaft through the stator half of the motor; there is a "c-clip" which only connects to one end of the shaft.
Well, we decided to ditch the Scorpion motors, and go with something different... :o

It's really too bad, because the motor we use for the prototype will probably end up in the retail version...
Old 01-28-2008, 06:40 PM
EpoweredRc
3D Flyer

Well, we decided to ditch the Scorpion motors, and go with something different... :o

It's really too bad, because the motor we use for the prototype will probably end up in the retail version...
Ditch Scorpion, dang must be a really good reason. there the best motos so far I have found.
Old 01-28-2008, 07:12 PM
Lieutenant Loughead
UNCLUB OWNER

Originally Posted by Foamiesrfun View Post
Ditch Scorpion, dang must be a really good reason. there the best motos so far I have found.
Yeah, the reason is really quite simple... We simply can't turn the motor shaft around on the 2221-10 and 2221-6, to mount these motors to an Alfa ducted fan.

I've contacted TWO Scorpion dealers (one on this thread, and the one we actually purchased the motors from), and never got an answer...
Old 01-28-2008, 09:40 PM
LuckyDay

Did you contact Lucien/Innov8tive? He seems pretty on top of things as the distributor...
Old 01-28-2008, 10:01 PM
Lieutenant Loughead
UNCLUB OWNER

Originally Posted by LuckyDay View Post
Did you contact Lucien/Innov8tive? He seems pretty on top of things as the distributor...
Yes -- Lucien is the guy who sold us the two Scorpion motors we currently have.

His answer was that we'd have to make special parts in CHINA, and have them shipped over... We're looking at a 4 to 6 week delay, and we just can't wait that long... :o
Old 01-28-2008, 10:08 PM
Liquidity
Combat Vet

Yes -- Lucien is the guy who sold us the two Scorpion motors we currently have.

His answer was that we'd have to make special parts in CHINA, and have them shipped over... We're looking at a 4 to 6 week delay, and we just can't wait that long... :o
If you are looking for an edf motor, send a PM to The Don and ask about his edf motors.
Old 01-29-2008, 02:02 AM
Lieutenant Loughead
UNCLUB OWNER

LOL -- I already did! I received Don's motor today, and it looks like a great fit.
Old 01-29-2008, 06:33 PM
EpoweredRc
3D Flyer

Yeah, the reason is really quite simple... We simply can't turn the motor shaft around on the 2221-10 and 2221-6, to mount these motors to an Alfa ducted fan.

I've contacted TWO Scorpion dealers (one on this thread, and the one we actually purchased the motors from), and never got an answer...
all you needed was a longer shaft from a driffrent motor and replace the shaft, 5 minute job.. But glad you got something that would work.

maybe the 22 series is driffrent from the 30's and cant be replaced as simple i do not own a 20 series yet.

Quick Reply: Scorpion Motor Q&A - Show us your Scorpion!

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.