2 P40 Warhawk Scratch Builds - Page 8 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Foamies Talk about building, power setups and anything having to do with e-powered foamy planes!

2 P40 Warhawk Scratch Builds

Old 09-05-2007, 07:42 PM
smokejohnson
Super Contributor

Yep ! Getting some good quality build time since there's no work.

The P-40 is ready to go together. I just need to put the Solite skin on the fuze and paint it. The Solite should be here by Friday so there's a good chance I will be flying it Sunday. If not then the next weekend for sure.

Hey Brian, how do I make the canopy? I have a good idea of how but would like your advice before I start cutting.
Old 09-07-2007, 12:05 AM
Saucerguy2
Super Contributor

Default Canopy

You'll want to use a piece of paper to create your pattern prior to cutting the styrene, stiff paper works best. I'm attaching the photo's to show how that works. What you are doing is laying down the stock, curving it around the area you want to canopy to be, cutting two slits towards the front and folding it into itself at an angle, then gluing the joint together. I used electrical tape to keep it in place while the glue dries, you'll then trim/sand it to conform to the shape of the fuse just as you do with a vaccume formed one and glue it in place.

You'll see this is a pretty straight forward way of doing them and the P40 by default has a very conforming canopy to use this technique with. I like the fact that if you manage to break it, you can easily replace it with what ever flat plastic stock laying around the house, or in this case, get some sheet styrene from the LHS.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	22.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	132.1 KB
ID:	40257   Click image for larger version

Name:	23.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	40258   Click image for larger version

Name:	24.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	40259   Click image for larger version

Name:	26.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	154.7 KB
ID:	40260   Click image for larger version

Name:	25.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	145.0 KB
ID:	40261  

Old 09-07-2007, 12:23 AM
smokejohnson
Super Contributor

OK...I see it now. I was wrong, I was thinking you was doing a single seam in the front in the middle. I was thinking that it would be hard to get right. Your method looks like it will work great. I like the idea of cutting a template out of cardboard stock.

I have decided I won't maiden the P-40 this weekend. I am going to maiden the P-40 and my Wasp at the same time next weekend. I will probably be a nervous wreck but man it will be fun .
Old 09-07-2007, 12:36 AM
Saucerguy2
Super Contributor

Default cool

Well, if you want to get really hardcore with it, after the canopy fold lines are cut up, prior to gluing it to the fuse, you can cut out the window seams/crossmembers, paint it and place clear styrene, or what ever clear plastic you have laying around within it, this will make it very scale looking.

Maidens really test your confidence, at this stage of the game, I'm pretty relaxed about them, the only exception being in the high performance route because there is an element of danger involved. I'm maidening a new flying wing I designed today, it's very light and the power to weight ratio is overkill, so this is going to be a fun one to get airborn. The only thing I don't like about wings is the launch procedure, it just feels awkward but they look cool in the air.
Old 09-08-2007, 08:26 AM
proffcharlie

I came across this thread and just could not stop reading. SG that looks like a great design you have going there. And Smokejohnson you are doing a great job on your build. I can identify with the "obsession for perfection" you are infected with. Take it from me it'll be worth it when you are finished.
A few pages back there was talk about where to find the foam to use in these builds. Here in South Louisiana the building supply houses don't even know insulation foam is produced in sheets thicker than 1/4 inch. A source I have found is the packaging foam used in large furniture crates. The local furniture stores gave me permission to scavenge their piles of discarded cartons and crates as long as I don't create a mess. I have found sections of foam as thick as 2 ft and as thin as 1/4 inch. Some are as big as 4x4 feet. Some of this stuff is is the light airy flexible stuff like the white home insulation foam and some is the stiff, hard stuff almost like the craft foam you find at Hobby Lobby. Every once and a while I find some that is rubbery like the leading edge of a Zaggi wing. AND ALL OF IT IS FREE!!! So far I have collected enough to fill half of a 10'x10' storage unit. Now I just have to hope everybody around here looking for foam don't read this and take my supply.

Charlie
Old 09-08-2007, 12:40 PM
smokejohnson
Super Contributor

Thanks Charlie. I never thought about a furniture store being a source for foam, good idea.
Old 09-09-2007, 08:25 PM
smokejohnson
Super Contributor

Default Arf

It's almost there. Just a couple of more hours and it will be ready to fly. I know it's taking me long enough to finish but I have been so busy at work . I'm also doing more work on the place we're getting ready to move to. Work sucks. It will be ready to go this week. Lets hope for clear skies next weekend.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	ARF.JPG
Views:	239
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	40533  
Old 09-09-2007, 08:37 PM
pd1
Still Learning

SJ, That really looks nice.

Paul
Old 09-09-2007, 08:41 PM
smokejohnson
Super Contributor

Thanks Paul. It doesn't really look that good up close but it should look great doing high speed low altitude passes. I used Skyloft on the fuse, it's no good. I should of ordered the silk from CA. Skyloft is about like a dryer sheet and it doesn't like to go around curves. It was hard to get the wrinkles out of it too.
Old 09-09-2007, 08:43 PM
pd1
Still Learning

Well, it still looks good.

Paul
Old 09-09-2007, 10:06 PM
Grasshopper
Some Assembly Required

Looks great James. Nice job on the cowl.
Old 09-09-2007, 10:46 PM
Saucerguy2
Super Contributor

Default Very Nice Work !!!

It looks awsome buddy, way better then the ones I put together. I see you are going with a rudder on it.
Old 09-09-2007, 11:36 PM
smokejohnson
Super Contributor

Thanks. No rudder...thats just a line drawn on with a black Sharpie.
Old 09-21-2007, 09:53 AM
Saucerguy2
Super Contributor

You didn't install the belly pan I can see as well, that aids in the scale department and helps join the wings together. Again, good job, I'm digging what you did with it. Also, along the canopy, if you fold the rear halves together, you can get it to stand on it's own to make it easier to remove, considering your mod's you did to the plane, probably the way to go. Just put in a couple of tabs and glue it onto the upper area/hatch.
Old 09-21-2007, 12:26 PM
smokejohnson
Super Contributor

Thanks SG, I'm really digging your kit . Looks like it is going to come in around 22oz. The power package that Jeff at HeadsUpRC helped me put together should make around 32oz of thrust with plenty of speed. With the light wing loading and plenty of power this thing should be a blast to fly.

If the weather is right she will fly this weekend. All thats left is hooking up the controls and a little paint on the belly. Click image for larger version

Name:	belly pan.JPG
Views:	167
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	41750

The canopy has worked out great. Click image for larger version

Name:	canopy.JPG
Views:	196
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	41751 I was going to hinge it but I like taking it off better. I need to add a popsicle stick to the front to slide in and lock it down. The rare earth magnets are strong but I think it could still flip off. Here is a shot from the back of the canopy.Click image for larger version

Name:	back of canopy.JPG
Views:	185
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	41749
Old 09-21-2007, 02:39 PM
Grasshopper
Some Assembly Required

Looks good James. Can't wait to see the maiden pictures. Probably need to bring my Zero over to chase it around sometime huh?
Old 09-21-2007, 02:56 PM
smokejohnson
Super Contributor

Sounds like fun Tom. I want to see the Thunderbolt in action. You did a great job on it. When will you fly it?
Old 09-22-2007, 04:17 AM
Grasshopper
Some Assembly Required

Originally Posted by smokejohnson View Post
Sounds like fun Tom. I want to see the Thunderbolt in action. You did a great job on it. When will you fly it?
Thanks James,

I'm not sure when I'll get to fly it. Looks like it might be next weekend at best.
Old 09-22-2007, 04:29 AM
Saucerguy2
Super Contributor

Definoutly looking really sharp smoke, I can't wait to hear a flight report upon it's maiden.
Old 09-22-2007, 06:26 AM
aviatordave
Super Contributor

Hey SG....some of us were thinking of using that plane for some combat missions during SEFF '08. Would you be up to getting a handful of kits ready this winter?
Old 09-22-2007, 07:45 AM
Saucerguy2
Super Contributor

Of course I would, the more I do, the more precise they get. I'm currently in the aft end of a run of these next four, I've made some rather huge leaps forward in procedures and fine tuning my bow set up. I may prove, man can beat machine with this one after all. I love keeping my hands on it all and actually building, into this gig, would hate it if I was delegated to sending files to a machine to build something for me, it would take the fun out of it.

Give me the heads up, the larger the run, the more efficient it is for me.
Old 09-22-2007, 10:55 AM
smokejohnson
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by SaucerGuy View Post
Definoutly looking really sharp smoke, I can't wait to hear a flight report upon it's maiden.
Today is the day! Just doing some last minute checks, programming the radio, and making sure all systems are go. Flight report and pics will be this afternoon .
Old 09-22-2007, 05:32 PM
smokejohnson
Super Contributor

Wooohoooooooo! It flies great! Lieutenant Loughead was kind enough to take video and will post it later today. Another volunteer was kind enough to launch it for me so I had both hands on the sticks.

I need to do some adjustments on the throws. A little more aileron and a little less elevator should do the trick. You will see in the video it's a little twitchy. Some of it is me and my nerves some of it may be interference, or at least thats my story and I'm sticking to it .

Loops and rolls were no problem. It will fly inverted all day and I even managed a couple of out side loops...crude but I did it. My piloting skills are still rough :o. Remembering how to build has come back to me easy but I need more practice flying. The 2409-12T with a Wow lipo had plenty of power. Most of the flight was at half throttle.

Thanks SG for an awesome plane.
Old 09-22-2007, 10:56 PM
Saucerguy2
Super Contributor

Default Sweet !!!

I'm happy you are happy with the plane, also glad LL took some video and is kind enough to post it, I can't wait to see it. Thank you very much for the flight report and endorsement, it means alot to me.
Old 09-23-2007, 01:54 AM
Grasshopper
Some Assembly Required

Way to go James! Can't wait to see the video and pictures.

Quick Reply: 2 P40 Warhawk Scratch Builds

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.10824 seconds with 19 queries