2 P40 Warhawk Scratch Builds - Page 7 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Foamies Talk about building, power setups and anything having to do with e-powered foamy planes!

2 P40 Warhawk Scratch Builds

Old 08-18-2007, 09:38 PM
smokejohnson
Super Contributor

Cool thanks
Old 08-18-2007, 09:49 PM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by SaucerGuy View Post
This pattern is not to scale or the perfect shape, but you should be able to make a fillet out of cardboard in that area, it might be easier and less trouble then sanding or filling in with spackle.
Hi Everyone Here is another idea that works great too for fillets, mix some lite weight spackel with some epoxy, 4 spackel to 1 epoxy, works great.

Thank you for the info on the sharks teeth, now I dont have to steal Johnsons teeth Take care, Chellie
Old 08-20-2007, 01:54 AM
smokejohnson
Super Contributor

Didn't get a whole lot done this weekend on the fuselage but I did get the wing and tail feathers painted and ready to mount. I need to add a little more green on the wing in the center but thats all I'm doing today and I wanted to post a pic.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	camo2.JPG
Views:	216
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	38628  
Old 08-20-2007, 02:03 AM
Saucerguy2
Super Contributor

Default wow

Looking really good James, you are so going to show me up with how I did mine!!! Good Job!
Old 08-20-2007, 02:11 AM
alienx
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by smokejohnson View Post
Didn't get a whole lot done this weekend on the fuselage but I did get the wing and tail feathers painted and ready to mount. I need to add a little more green on the wing in the center but thats all I'm doing today and I wanted to post a pic.
Cool paint job. It'll be nice to see a few of these finished for comparison!
Old 08-20-2007, 02:14 AM
Grasshopper
Some Assembly Required

Looking good James!
Old 08-20-2007, 03:06 AM
smokejohnson
Super Contributor

Thanks guys.
Old 08-22-2007, 12:35 AM
smokejohnson
Super Contributor

Default Cg

I'm to the point that I need to figure out where to put my equipment. To do this I need the CG. This will be my first time figuring it out so if you see something wrong please let me know. I'm using this as my source for info.

The only thing I am not sure about is the wing tip. The picture shows where I measured. Do I need to take the actual tip into consideration? This to me just seemed like the most logical spot to take a measurement.

The math came out to 7.95. Drawing it out gave me 8". So I will just call it 8" for the MAC. 25% of 8" is 2" back from the leading edge for my CG...right? And since the leading edge is straight that measurement would be good along the entire length of the wing...right?

root chord : 10"
tip chord : 5.5"
taper ratio : .55

Name:	drawn out.JPG
Views:	142
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	38781   Click image for larger version

Name:	root.JPG
Views:	181
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	38782   Click image for larger version

Name:	tip.JPG
Views:	175
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	38783  
Old 08-22-2007, 12:43 AM
Saucerguy2
Super Contributor

Default Cog

Actually, you must keep into account of the ailerons extending the wing chord for the math, but at 2.5", that's a very comfortable spot for the COG, you could even go to 2" or less for added stability. You should include the wingtips as well, those are part of the wing and do affect things.

Keep up the good work, I can't wait to see it completed and to hear of the flight report.
Old 08-22-2007, 12:56 AM
smokejohnson
Super Contributor

My measurements are from the leading edge of the wing to the trailing edge of the ailerons. I stopped short of the tip because I don't know how you would figure that out. I guess you could say I took my measurement at the last place you can before the tip takes on an elliptical shape.

These are just thoughts to ponder on now though. I will go with 2.75" for the maiden to be on the safe side. I've heard nose heavy planes fly funny...tail heavy planes fly once .
Old 08-22-2007, 01:15 AM
Saucerguy2
Super Contributor

I'd stick with 2.5 - 2", as a general rule, I always go with the forward 20%, this keeps it all safe and elmininates the guess work.
Old 08-25-2007, 11:03 PM
Grasshopper
Some Assembly Required

Any more progress James?
Old 08-25-2007, 11:25 PM
smokejohnson
Super Contributor

Default I have a sickness

Originally Posted by Grasshopper View Post
Any more progress James?

I just can't help myself. I just get so in to it and cruising Wattflyer I get so many ideas that I do go overboard. But man is it fun .

I just couldn't force myself to mount the gear on the outside so I started hollowing it out. One thing led to another and I ended up with a hatch that I will mount with magnets for the battery. The gap in the middle started for a place to grab it and then I thought why not make them a little bigger for airflow.

I ran out of 3/4oz fiberglass cloth and am thinking of trying some Dave Brown Skyloft. If not Skyloft then I will order the same silk you are you using on your P-47.

Name:	firewall.JPG
Views:	188
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	39063   Click image for larger version

Name:	hatch.JPG
Views:	191
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	39064   Click image for larger version

Name:	hatch2.JPG
Views:	207
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	39065  
Old 08-25-2007, 11:47 PM
Grasshopper
Some Assembly Required

That's looking great James. You should try the silk. It really works nice. Better than anything I've ever used.

You know when it's all done. you aren't going to want to use it for combat. It's going to look too nice.
Old 08-25-2007, 11:51 PM
Saucerguy2
Super Contributor

Default Looking good

You are starting to think more like a scratch builder and less along the lines of being restricted to how the kit was shown originally assembled, which was the quick and dirty route, this is a good thing, it lets you be creative and make it "your" plane. Something you might want to consider, when ever there is a hollow spot, you are creating a weakness, lining it with light balsa will reinforce those areas significantly. The scoop can also be made functional for ventelation as well.

Somehow I can see you placing functional machine guns, bombs, retractable landing gear and all sorts of cool features to the point, you are going to be reluctant to risk taking it up in the air. I see you are being very mythodical about it all and I'm glad you are having fun with it.
Old 08-26-2007, 12:34 AM
smokejohnson
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Grasshopper View Post
That's looking great James. You should try the silk. It really works nice. Better than anything I've ever used.

You know when it's all done. you aren't going to want to use it for combat. It's going to look too nice.
You are starting to think more like a scratch builder and less along the lines of being restricted to how the kit was shown originally assembled, which was the quick and dirty route, this is a good thing, it lets you be creative and make it "your" plane. Something you might want to consider, when ever there is a hollow spot, you are creating a weakness, lining it with light balsa will reinforce those areas significantly. The scoop can also be made functional for ventelation as well.

Somehow I can see you placing functional machine guns, bombs, retractable landing gear and all sorts of cool features to the point, you are going to be reluctant to risk taking it up in the air. I see you are being very mythodical about it all and I'm glad you are having fun with it.
Thanks guys. Don't worry about me being scared to fly it. I ain't skeered .

I hear ya on the reinforcement Brian. I'm not sure what thickness the balsa is but I cut it with scissors and will put it in a few key places for strength. And the cowl will be functional as far as air induction, thats where the esc is sitting. The exit will be through the hatch.

I am having a lot of fun building this plane. I have a really good feeling about this one.

Name:	balsa.JPG
Views:	153
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	39070  
Old 09-01-2007, 05:46 AM
smokejohnson
Super Contributor

Default more progress

I've been real busy this week and didn't get as much done as I wanted. The main thing I slacked on was not ordering the Skyloft for the fuse until today.

I have the area for the aileron servos cut out. Just need to glue in some hardwood for mount points. The elevator servo will be one of the last things I do before final paint/assembly. I can slide my lipo fore and aft 2" and would like to mount the elevator servo so the pack is right in the middle with the plane balanced.

I mounted the cowl with "Rare Earth Magnets" from Radio Shak. I like them...a lot . The cowl is a work in progress. I still have some sanding and shaping to do. It may be taboo but I am going to use this same method ,foam block and magnets, to create a cowl for my balsa Wasp.

Name:	aileron servo.JPG
Views:	211
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	39500   Click image for larger version

Name:	magnets.JPG
Views:	252
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	39501   Click image for larger version

Name:	nose job.JPG
Views:	266
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	39502  
Old 09-02-2007, 05:09 PM
smokejohnson
Super Contributor

How are the P-40's flying SG?
Old 09-02-2007, 10:22 PM
Saucerguy2
Super Contributor

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_6315597/tm.htm

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/show...ewpost&t=23806

To show you what crazyness I've been up to, I've been focusing upon that, and I have two more types of planes, one a wing, the other a jet, I'll be doing in this manner in the works at the same time.

I'm going to ether gear out or build another one with the brushed, geared 400 to show how versatile of a platform it is on the p40's.

You are doing an awsome job on your's, I really like how the cowl came out. !!!
Old 09-02-2007, 11:40 PM
smokejohnson
Super Contributor

The Dragon looks great!! I know you're an artist and can't wait to see your finish on one. I like it .

I finished sanding the cowl to it's final shape this morning. I'm happy with how it came out. I am sure I will use this method from now on, it was fun.

It looks like it is going to balance out perfect. After reading more post and thinking about it more I'm going to go with your advice and start with 2.25" back. It looks like it will balance with out having to add dead weight.
Old 09-03-2007, 12:04 AM
Saucerguy2
Super Contributor

Default awsome

Always nice to have it balance without adding extra weight. It's great you are going to use the cowl system on other planes, saves your pocket book from having to buy new ones big time. Another reason I left it to carve up by the builder, you can take it one step further and carve an entire plane using that system.
Old 09-05-2007, 06:19 PM
Saucerguy2
Super Contributor

Default Coolness

Check out what the good folk at RCU did for me.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/n...roduct_id=2189

Thanks Mike and Mark, this means alot to me !!!
Old 09-05-2007, 06:36 PM
Biplane Murphy
2 Wings, Twice The Fun

Check out what the good folk at RCU did for me.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/n...roduct_id=2189

Thanks Mike and Mark, this means alot to me !!!
Nice!!!!........ Great folks run these forums... I am glad they did that for you....
Old 09-05-2007, 07:32 PM
smokejohnson
Super Contributor

Thats great SG. I hope everything works out for you.
Old 09-05-2007, 07:33 PM
Grasshopper
Some Assembly Required

Hows the P-40 coming James? You off to day for rain?

Quick Reply: 2 P40 Warhawk Scratch Builds

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.15480 seconds with 22 queries