2 P40 Warhawk Scratch Builds - Page 6 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Foamies Talk about building, power setups and anything having to do with e-powered foamy planes!

2 P40 Warhawk Scratch Builds

Old 08-13-2007, 12:49 AM
smokejohnson
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Grasshopper View Post
Looking good James. You're moving right along on it.
Originally Posted by SaucerGuy View Post
Keep up the good work.

Thanks guys
Old 08-13-2007, 07:30 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by smokejohnson View Post
I picked up my kits from Tom yesterday. Thanks for all the extra's Brian, it's a nice package.

The wing tips supplied stopped with the wings. I wanted mine to extend past the ailerons so I made some new ones with some extra material. The ailerons are from foam board with paper on both sides. I cut them to the shape I wanted and have them soaking in water to help peel the paper off. I added just a bit of dihedral. I would rather have the scale look than better inverted handling.

When dry fitting the fuze together I noticed certain pieces fit together better than others. Once I was happy with how everything fit I glued it together. I will hollow out cavities for my gear later. I will glue the wing on and decided this will be easier for me to do after it is all together.

Since there is no rudder I am not going to reinforce the vertical stabilizer. Just rounded the edges and it is done. After sanding the edges of the horizontal stabilizer I cut in a piece of .25 inch balsa to strengthen the thin area that connects the 2 sides of the elevator. I had some carbon fiber on hand that was just the right thickness and used it to strengthen the H. stab.

Until the glue dries thats about as far as I can take it today. All in all I'm happy with the kit. Takes a little work but it looks like it will come together nicely. I can't wait to fly it.
Your Plane is looking great James, keep up the good work Chellie
Old 08-13-2007, 08:12 AM
Bill G
Super Contrubutor

Funny you say that, I have very few arf's in my hanger these days, in fact, very few kit creations when you think about it, I just let them RIP in pieces in the corner of the rafters, had my fun, time to move onto other planes.

I may ARF some of these out eventually, but this is a whole lot of work just creating the kit in the first place, if I do, I'll have several grades of foam sanding correlating to the number of hours in the final equasion should I opt to go that route charge wise in that manner.

I have yet to take the remaiden on the latest revision on prototype #2, ie. the one with a little plane attached to the motor, hehe, but I'll give you guys a flight report, I want to hook up with a local club member so I can take it to an official field and be able to have someone take some vid of it while I try to tame this beast with that power package, but likely, will just hit my test field and call it good.

Bill, what are you working on at present? I know, you also build planes for others as well, I'd like to see what's going on in that arena on your end.

Smoke, just let me know when you are ready to start building your's, I want to walk you through it all, there is more then one way of building it and there are going to be a few areas where you just might want to ask me how to do it considering the unique nature of the kit.
Working on a FW Flitzer EDF, in the EDF section. Another one of those, "what the heck, why not" builds that is really turning into something I like. Started with the idea of a Vampire or Venom, until I remembered that there was something similar in the Luft '46 arena.
For whatever reason, I just like their planes. If someone were to come in here and see all the Luft builds, they'd probably think I was a NeoNazi, which of course I'm not.

Bill
Old 08-13-2007, 10:13 AM
Saucerguy2
Super Contributor

Default Thanks for staying on board.

Smoke is building this without plans, I gotta add onto the buld in the process, unless you guys don't know now.

The elevator support wire, supplied in the kit is what joins the two halves, you need to bend the ends to a right angle and cut away the area necessary to get the now, U shaped set up to install flush. I went mainstream with this element knowing it's going to create a stronger structural element to this critical area. You can add onto it regardless.
Old 08-13-2007, 11:29 AM
smokejohnson
Super Contributor

Smoke is building this without plans, I gotta add onto the buld in the process, unless you guys don't know now.

The elevator support wire, supplied in the kit is what joins the two halves, you need to bend the ends to a right angle and cut away the area necessary to get the now, U shaped set up to install flush. I went mainstream with this element knowing it's going to create a stronger structural element to this critical area. You can add onto it regardless.

Oh yeah... I forgot about doing it like that. I think my GWS kit was the first time I had ever used a wire for that purpose. I've always just added a piece of balsa across there. I won't cut a new elevator but I may go ahead and add the wire.
Old 08-13-2007, 11:39 AM
Saucerguy2
Super Contributor

Default Don't be afraid to ask

By all means, if you run into an area where you don't feel there is something not supplied in the kit to accomodate, please, let me know, I did my best to make sure you don't have to make any outside trips to the LHS or anywhere else outside of the original what you need supply list, which most people already have on hand to get this kit together and you can get most, if not all of it at the dollar store. Just let me know if you run into any stumbling blocks, is the best way of saying it.

The wire system is much stronger then the dowel set up, it's the lateral force with the U set up that makes it work, it also gives a bit should you manage to bump the elevator control surfaces in transport or in a serious crash.
Old 08-13-2007, 07:49 PM
FlopGun

Hi guys, I'm glad I got one of these kits. Fun diy stuff. OK, so the stab should be built like a GWS kit?

So what was the verdict on the best for ailerons? Cut out the wing section or just add on to te? I'm leaning towards the cut out just cause it will look more scale. Just curious, why not use the cut out piece of wing for the aileron?
Old 08-13-2007, 07:51 PM
Grasshopper
Some Assembly Required

Originally Posted by FlopGun View Post
Hi guys, I'm glad I got one of these kits. Fun diy stuff. OK, so the stab should be built like a GWS kit?

So what was the verdict on the best for ailerons? Cut out the wing section or just add on to te? I'm leaning towards the cut out just cause it will look more scale. Just curious, why not use the cut out piece of wing for the aileron?
Pretty sure that's what I'm going to do Flopgun. I'll probably also just slice the back portion of the horizontal off for the elevator too.
Old 08-13-2007, 11:33 PM
Saucerguy2
Super Contributor

Default Yep

Yes, you can use the extracted foam from the wing for the ailerons, I just felt the aileron stock, since it is more rigid would be stronger, so it's optional. I also know, alot of people just use balsa in that area, balsa aileron stock is expensive, and I'm trying to keep the costs down on these, so that's one of those you are going to have to hit the lhs to make the upgrade with. The yellow one is using balsa, the brown is using foam board, I haven't had any problems with each.

The only real difference on just letting them trail behind the wing compared to in, is the increase of drag and change of wing chord, I dont' forsee it affecting it all that much in the air and is an easier way of doing it. Again, this plane can be built more then one way.

The elevator, as far as my own personal tastes, I prefer using the wire, it's alot stronger of a set up and that's how it's done with stick builds, so not necessarily just GWS style planes. The magpie I'm finishing up has instructions to put in a dowl in that area, of course, that was a mandatory upgrade to the wire system for the record, and right in line with the subject.

Also, I gotta add, hitting the fuse with heavy grit sandpaper is NOT a bad idea and going down to 220 is all that's necessary you are going to cover it with tape anyway so voids from the foam popping out should not be killing you in the build process, using Zagi tape will make a nice colored covering and at $4.00 a roll that will last you 4-5 planes, not a bad investment. You can get hard core about the filler, keeping the entire surface perfect via. stock foam wise and paint to perfection, even glassing it over if you want, but it's not necesary if you are going with the colored tape, or just want to go play air combat and not care about the final finish. Neither of the prototypes shown use them, just some Krylon and that was it outside of clear packing tape in key areas.

Last edited by Saucerguy2; 08-14-2007 at 12:32 PM. Reason: Had to add
Old 08-14-2007, 10:05 PM
smokejohnson
Super Contributor

Default incidence

So I know on one of my profile foamies I built that it flew funny because my wing and H. stab were not lined up to each other. I'm thinking I will glue the wing saddle in and set a straight edge on the top to project a line back to get my H. stab at the same angle as the wing. I don't have an incidence gauge so I think this will be the best way to go about it.

Will it work??
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	sticking out.JPG
Views:	234
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	38180   Click image for larger version

Name:	straight edge.JPG
Views:	262
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	38181  
Old 08-14-2007, 11:45 PM
Saucerguy2
Super Contributor

Don't overthink it, just sand the top edge of the aft section of the fuse flat, no need to even cut a slot or line up the wing to it at all, glue the v stab onto that area, the h stab get's glued on top of that, and call it good. I'll diagram it out, give me 15 minutes.

Name:	d1.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	13.6 KB
ID:	38187  
Old 08-15-2007, 12:11 AM
smokejohnson
Super Contributor

Don't overthink it

I would almost think you know me on a personal level with that remark. I do go overboard building planes and usually catch myself when I am "micro cutting". I will do it just like your diagram and relax.
Old 08-15-2007, 12:18 AM
Saucerguy2
Super Contributor

That's the general intention of that kit, just relax, put her together, and go fly. You have two, so the second can be one you spend wayy too many hours modeling on, but this is your build, so entirely your call any direction you want to take it, I'm only making suggestions as to how I did mine.
Old 08-16-2007, 05:41 PM
Biplane Murphy
2 Wings, Twice The Fun

Placed my order with SG last night for a few of them....Had a great talk on the phone....he's a good guy....lookin' forward to building one of his kits!!!!
Old 08-17-2007, 02:56 AM
smokejohnson
Super Contributor

Default progress

Progress has been slow this week. I work outside and with temps in the 100's I've been tired. I did manage to catch a mistake before it got to far along. When I glued the fuze together I had all the pieces lined up at the joints but was not in a straight line :o. Easy fix though, I just cut the tail piece loose and glued it back on straight, no biggie really .

I have the wing reinforced and the bottom half glassed. I should have an ARF by the end of the weekend. I have a good idea of how I am going to mount my electronics. Just need more time and energy .
Old 08-18-2007, 05:56 AM
smokejohnson
Super Contributor

Other than mounting the ailerons and paint the wing is done. I have been playing around with the cowl. It's getting close to what I want. Do you think you could mount it with magnets? It would be nice to be able to change motors with out cutting the nose off. What are some other ideas for a removable nose piece?

Name:	wing4.JPG
Views:	218
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	38412   Click image for larger version

Name:	nose.JPG
Views:	248
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	38413  
Old 08-18-2007, 05:59 AM
Grasshopper
Some Assembly Required

Looks good James. On the cowl, what if you used a couple short pices of bamboo skewer for alignment pins into the fuse and then held it with magnets? At least that way, it couldn't slide around and the magnets would hold it back against the fuse.
Old 08-18-2007, 06:03 AM
smokejohnson
Super Contributor

I like the alignment pin idea. I think it would work good. I think I will try it. I was also thinking of some kind of tabs sticking off the nose and screwing it on from the sides. I think I would over engineer that :o ...the magnets sound simple.
Old 08-18-2007, 06:06 AM
Grasshopper
Some Assembly Required

Velcro would even work but the magnets would give you a cleaner fit.
Old 08-18-2007, 08:37 AM
Saucerguy2
Super Contributor

Default How I did mine

If you look at the brown one, I simply hollowed out the section the motor was going to mount onto, this gives you plenty of direct airflow of it to keep it cool, with the other one, the cowl shrouds the motor area and is the way to go if you want to cover it up and make it look more scale like. I can take it off since it's mounting to a couple pieces of hardwood stock I mounted onto the face of the firewall, you'll have to position these mounts based upon how much carving of the center you do in order to accomodate your particular motor. I attached a diagram of the face view of it, showing the sides of the hollowed out cowl for your reference.

This is the part where I opted to have the builder hand bash it knowing there are going to be people using many different motor's and I wanted them to be able to customize it to their needs, that and if they manage to break it, can easily replace it themselves very inexpensively, the polystyrene is really user friendly as a material, it doesn't flake off like eps and sands to a nice finish without alot of trouble.

Let me know if you need me to chime in on the canopy, it's a very different system then what's typical in a kit, but another element that allows you to replace yourself easily and inexpensively.

Edit: Had to add the face mount cowl diagram for the optional set up.

Name:	d20001.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	38418   Click image for larger version

Name:	d3.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	25.3 KB
ID:	38419  

Last edited by Saucerguy2; 08-18-2007 at 10:51 AM.
Old 08-18-2007, 08:11 PM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by smokejohnson View Post
Other than mounting the ailerons and paint the wing is done. I have been playing around with the cowl. It's getting close to what I want. Do you think you could mount it with magnets? It would be nice to be able to change motors with out cutting the nose off. What are some other ideas for a removable nose piece?
Hi Johnson OK Now you Have done it !!!! We all need a Picture of the Sharks teeth so we can place it on our builds too, Could you please post a bigger picture of the sharks teeth so we can steal your teeth thank you in advance, Chellie
Old 08-18-2007, 08:36 PM
Grasshopper
Some Assembly Required

Hey Chellie, look at post #67 in this thread. It has several to choose from.
Old 08-18-2007, 08:41 PM
Saucerguy2
Super Contributor

Default Thanks

You beat me to it, hehe. Page 3 of this thread.

James, I reccomend mount the wing saddle area in before getting too heavy duty sanding the fuse. You are doing a very good job with it.
Old 08-18-2007, 09:26 PM
smokejohnson
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by CHELLIE View Post
Hi Johnson OK Now you Have done it !!!! We all need a Picture of the Sharks teeth so we can place it on our builds too, Could you please post a bigger picture of the sharks teeth so we can steal your teeth thank you in advance, Chellie

There is also a link in the post with the pics that will take you to RCG where I found them. In case you have a problem getting them to print right. I didn't have to make any adjustments to get it to print the right size.

You beat me to it, hehe. Page 3 of this thread.

James, I reccomend mount the wing saddle area in before getting too heavy duty sanding the fuse. You are doing a very good job with it.
Thanks
The wing saddle is next. I was kicking around the idea of sanding them to the fillet shape but have changed my mind on that. I will just cut and sand them flat and maybe use a little light weight spackle to smooth the transition to the wing.
Old 08-18-2007, 09:37 PM
Saucerguy2
Super Contributor

Default fillet

This pattern is not to scale or the perfect shape, but you should be able to make a fillet out of cardboard in that area, it might be easier and less trouble then sanding or filling in with spackle.

Name:	d3fillet.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	7.1 KB
ID:	38457  

Quick Reply: 2 P40 Warhawk Scratch Builds

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.15447 seconds with 19 queries