2 P40 Warhawk Scratch Builds - Page 4 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Foamies Talk about building, power setups and anything having to do with e-powered foamy planes!

2 P40 Warhawk Scratch Builds

Old 07-31-2007, 02:44 AM
GreenAce92
RAWR!!! Lets fly...

Cooollll.... Good luck on your flight tell us in great detail when you get the chance.

Keep up the good work.
Old 07-31-2007, 04:46 AM
Saucerguy2
Super Contributor

Default I maidened them

I took up the yellow one first, hit it at 3/4 power, full throttle seemed too much, it gained altitude very quickly, so I eased up on the juice and a little up trim, "yeah there is more then one way to think trim guys", I took it around the field a couple of times and landed it without event. It felt like I could keep it flying sideways all day long without losing altitude, so yeah, we have a flyer here.

I took up the second one, this has a smaller, less powerful motor, the prop is not optimal, I use a 9/6 with this one, but didn't have any on hand and the spinner was a little bent, so wasn't get maximum thrust out of it. I hit it with full power and it required full up trim to gain height. I took it around a couple times, landed it, and manually adjusted the elevator trim, gotta love those ez conectors. I took it up again, this time it gained altitude more quickly, still was flying slow, and there were no inherint flaw's or bad tendecies with it. I think I'll lose the dihedral on the next ones I build in this line I keep, I personally don't need it, nor is it mandatory with the plane.

Both landed unpowered without a problem, both were able to fly very slowly and not tip stall, nor behave weirdly as many warbirds do. The one that I had at 3/4 throttle at take off, not a problem at all with handling the speed, we have two very working platforms.

Now, the bad side, I had my girlfriend handling the video camera, she's really bad at it, and didn't capture any shots of it in flight, plenty of video of the ground though....... Upon landing the brown one, it was not optimal, would have been perfectly fine if it had wheeles, but since I added additional weight to the nose since I wanted to remain conservative, you remember I told you about the COG being further back on this one, at full up elevator, I wasn't able to airbreak just before it landed, which normally makes the touch down very gentle, so I have to fix a crack in the wing, I don't consider it a problem though. Keep in mind, I didn't hit the whole wing with strapping tape, nor covered it in packing tape as I usually do, so can account for that. No biggie, just will keep that element in mind on future builds, not a giant repair. The yellow one's landing was a little fast, so not optimal, but it landed without a scratch on it. It also has a couple layers of Krylon on it, that does add structure to the wing, that's the only difference between the two.

Ok, now that they have proven themselves, I'm going to line the battery pack compartment with balsa, this helps strengthen up that area and prevents the pack from widening the hole. I'll go over the wings with packing tape on both planes and take them out again, this time with a new spinner and better prop for the brown one and will take some of it's weight away from the nose to move the COG back, I just taped a few bolts onto that area with painters tape, so easy to remove, it's lighter so I want to mess around with the COG going back farther for more 3d like performance.

One more thing I'm going to try to do sometime, obviously I need to, is find a way to strap a camera onto my head so I can take video of it while flying at the same time.
Old 07-31-2007, 05:01 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Hi Brian Glad to hear that the maidens went well for you, sounds like you have a winner there, No Videos Ok, first thing you do is, FIRE THE GF ok just kidding I tried to mount a camera to a bicycle helmet, that did not work out very well, it moved around to much on the Noggen, what I did do was to make a rifle stock and mount the camera to that, with open sites, it worked out very well, also, you can mount the camera to the back side of your transmitter, and follow it around by pointing the transmitter towards the plane, I have not tried that yet, but was told that it worked good, here is a build of my rifle stock camera platform if your interested, Take Care, Chellie

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/show...ighlight=rifle
Old 07-31-2007, 05:45 AM
Saucerguy2
Super Contributor

Default Thanks Chellie

I'll look into the riflestock barrel system, I keep thinking there is a way to set up something where the camera hones in on the plane and pivots to keep it within it's sights electronically as well. I'll look more into the video section of the forums, I don't think I've even been in there except for that link you pointed me to.

It looks like Grasshopper and Smoke are next to assemble these, I ship out all four to them tomorrow. Looks like I gotta make another run of planes. hehe.
Old 07-31-2007, 06:02 AM
Slowjohn
Passed on

Default Combat?

Congrats on the dual maiden flights. A couple of us have decided to put together some combat planes and try that for fun. Do you think these are simple enough to throw together a couple of them during the week for some "no worry" type of flying fun on the weekend? Also, have you decided on a price per kit or however you'll be offering them?

Thanks,
Slowjohn
Old 07-31-2007, 06:28 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Yea, I want to buy one too, Me First ok just kidding, I will wait my turn, how much are they, How do I get one, I have PayPal , Hurry up and Build some more Take Care, Chellie
Old 07-31-2007, 02:00 PM
GreenAce92
RAWR!!! Lets fly...

Hey nice to know your flights went ok. Umm I would definitely like one too but i dont have Paypal yet. Well hope you can keep up with everyones needs sounds like you out to set up your own factory line.
Old 07-31-2007, 05:49 PM
Saucerguy2
Super Contributor

Default Thanks guys

They should come together if you just want to get in some quick and dirty flying and not worry about sanding to make a nice even finish in a couple of hours max.

Price, I'm thinking 20.00 as it stands, I'll get it lower once I start dealing in larger volume and get some equipment dedicated towards production and be able to move away from the hand cutting element. The aft section of the fuse is going to be the most difficult to automate, but once I do, epp will be an option for those that require it.

The shop looks like ww3, 6 planes production wise later, so gotta get it cleaned up before I make any more, I'll bust some out with the stock I have left by the end of the weekend.

Paypal is not mandatory, I do have a manufacturing business license, so check/money order or direct credit card is a viable option. I've been in the wrong field "obviously" with that license, all of you RC guys are a class act. I can finally remain a nice guy and not get taken advantage of, if I can make this work, yeah, I'll flat out be having a production factory catering to all of your needs and it will remain my focus for a living. I love building planes and anything related to it especially dealing with fellow rc people, it would be a dream to do it exclusively.

Thanks for all of your support guys, it's really apprieciated.
Old 07-31-2007, 07:04 PM
alienx
Super Contributor

Sounds pretty successful! Good work. Yes that video is a tricky thing.
Old 07-31-2007, 07:06 PM
GreenAce92
RAWR!!! Lets fly...

Cool. Once my budget settles i will most likely get one of these from you. Umm how long are you planning on building these?
Old 07-31-2007, 07:19 PM
Saucerguy2
Super Contributor

Default Thanks

I have no plans to stop building these, so don't worry about any kind of a deadline/time limit.
Old 08-01-2007, 03:48 AM
Saucerguy2
Super Contributor

Default Flight report #2

It was a bit windy at the field, around 20 mph, doesn't stop me from flying though. I took out the p40's, the yellow one basically ignored it, I could not really tell it was windy with how it felt in the air, it didn't seem to effect it at all. Put it through it's paces, everything checked out well. The second one, I pulled off the nose weights and flew it bare, it did fine, be it with the lighter power system and airframe and rear pointing COG, did notice the wind, I could add a little weight to correct it, but didn't bother, was having fun in that mode and was able to slow it down to walking speed and still maintain altitude. The mustang that inspired me to get into warbirds in the first place, this did notice it, but I could handle it. I think I'm going to expand it's elevator, it just needs more area with how I prefer to push these birds around. So, the wind test passed with flying colors.

I did end up cutting into the wing and added a central carbon fiber rod, it's something I opted to upgrade knowing I'm going to be seriously abusing these, the bamboo skewers done in this way would work just as well I'm sure.
Old 08-01-2007, 04:25 AM
GreenAce92
RAWR!!! Lets fly...

Cool it seems like your an excellent flyer, i still cant handle the wind that well my Pkz J3 Cub at least can handle it that well as i ran right into a powerline. You have a mustang? Or were you just mentioning how it inspired you. Bamboo skewers are really handy.
Old 08-01-2007, 04:47 AM
Saucerguy2
Super Contributor

Yeah, I bought the gws mustang kit when I was first teaching myself how to fly, needless to say, it turned into packing material and I just stuffed it into my rafters, thinking I could build another and use it as a general guide. I opted to just hot glue it all back together, cover it with zagi tape and strapping tape and hook it up with bl and lipo, it fly's fine. That's my official first war bird, and I wasn't really expecting to be impressed with it, I did modify the ailerons to go to the tips of the wings, gives it a little more surface area, and they are in balsa. The gear remains on the outside, the internal area had to be filled in with eps since the structure was gone at that point.

What impressed me the most about it was how it looked in the air, I like how it handles as well, but as you can see, I'm already going to modify the elevator to better suit my needs. I'll build a new one scratch style soon enough. Along piloting, I'm good at test flying, that's something that goes hand in hand with building, especially when you are messing around with new concepts, you just don't know what's going to happen. I wasn't worried on the p40's, it's a very traditional plane, so no leap forward in skill.

The winds are something I've always dealt with early on, in Tacoma, there are very few calm days because it's next to the ocean, and the local flyers here RC plane wise, tend to only go flying when it's much calmer. But when you have the power, you can overcome it pretty easily, it also adds a little element of surprise when a gust pushes it around, that's the reason I had fun with the brown one lightened up because I could notice them. So far, I have not, not went flying due to the winds at all this year, just the rain and snow is what stops me. Now, the cub, it's a little underpowered for handling them, so you'd end up flying backwards alot of the time in 20mph gusts, so probably not a good one to try out with it.
Old 08-01-2007, 04:56 AM
GreenAce92
RAWR!!! Lets fly...

Well at a fresh charge i have been able to do really low level loops diving from 100 ft to 6ft off the ground pull hard on the stick at full power and you get a nice loop. I like flying too with some gusts of wind its easier to take off. I like using hot glue for building thats what i used for the last plane i just built.
Old 08-01-2007, 07:18 AM
Saucerguy2
Super Contributor

Hot glue is cool, wait until you use it in combination with other glues at the same time, it becomes a universal clamp at that point.
Old 08-01-2007, 02:32 PM
GreenAce92
RAWR!!! Lets fly...

Part of the reason i use it is because i cant find epoxy glue around here. The nearest hobbyshop is 45miles away. I tried looking in Walmart but i couldnt find any so hot glue is my answer. Plus it works kinda fast too.
Old 08-01-2007, 03:02 PM
Grasshopper
Some Assembly Required

Originally Posted by GreenAce92 View Post
Part of the reason i use it is because i cant find epoxy glue around here. The nearest hobbyshop is 45miles away. I tried looking in Walmart but i couldnt find any so hot glue is my answer. Plus it works kinda fast too.
Hey Greenace,

Wal-Mart carries epoxy. Did you look in the paint section? All of our Wallys carry 5 minute and 30 minute.
Old 08-01-2007, 03:39 PM
GreenAce92
RAWR!!! Lets fly...

Oh cool. I didnt know that i will have to check that out. Does this stuff work on polystyrene? Thanks for the info.
Old 08-02-2007, 12:10 AM
smokejohnson
Super Contributor

I get so confused on the different types of foam. I have used GG on several different types of foam and it has worked great on all of them.

I want a 3-blade prop on mine with a red spinner. Also I have been thinking am I going to have problems bending shafts with belly landings with the 3-blade? I've never flown a 3-blade prop so I have no idea.
Old 08-02-2007, 06:09 AM
Slowjohn
Passed on

Originally Posted by smokejohnson View Post
I get so confused on the different types of foam. I have used GG on several different types of foam and it has worked great on all of them.

I want a 3-blade prop on mine with a red spinner. Also I have been thinking am I going to have problems bending shafts with belly landings with the 3-blade? I've never flown a 3-blade prop so I have no idea.
If your using the 2408-21 motor or similar type motor try using a prop saver correctly should help. Also landing it by stalling it very low to the ground and in tall grass should help I would think. I see a lot of people running a full length shaft with the prop savers and that doesn't allow the prop saver to work correctly. You need to cut the shaft off where the threads stop and then place the prop saver at the end of the shaft where it was cut off. Using a o-ring works better than a rubber band that's looped around the saver several times.

Good Luck & Have Fun,
Slowjohn
Old 08-03-2007, 01:27 PM
Saucerguy2
Super Contributor

Default Overkill

This will need a planesaver, not propsaver, hehe.

I've opted to move the brown one into the world of insanity by putting on the TP 3520-7 it's using a 14" prop quite well, I still have it hooked up to the little battery, the larger one works on it, what a combo, the smaller one is just fine barely pushing the motor's capacity, yet overkill on this airframe. I was inspired last night to go this route with it rather then let it get teased by the yellow one which does so well in heavy winds.

Photo's attached, first shows the original motor next to the current one, you'll see what I mean, what a gargantuan, well, beast of an outrunner. As a combat plane, I'd be very much afraid of it to contend with, so hit the nose in red, hoping that trend takes place for those of you flying combat with these just to give fair warning to others, your's is in battle with gloves off.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	156.0 KB
ID:	37229   Click image for larger version

Name:	21.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	109.5 KB
ID:	37230  
Old 08-03-2007, 02:16 PM
Grasshopper
Some Assembly Required

Originally Posted by SaucerGuy View Post
This will need a planesaver, not propsaver, hehe.

I've opted to move the brown one into the world of insanity by putting on the TP 3520-7 it's using a 14" prop quite well, I still have it hooked up to the little battery, the larger one works on it, what a combo, the smaller one is just fine barely pushing the motor's capacity, yet overkill on this airframe. I was inspired last night to go this route with it rather then let it get teased by the yellow one which does so well in heavy winds.

Photo's attached, first shows the original motor next to the current one, you'll see what I mean, what a gargantuan, well, beast of an outrunner. As a combat plane, I'd be very much afraid of it to contend with, so hit the nose in red, hoping that trend takes place for those of you flying combat with these just to give fair warning to others, your's is in battle with gloves off.

So you like a little plane to go with your motor huh? That thing will be insane. I have to warn you Brian, it won't look scale in flight.
Old 08-03-2007, 02:16 PM
GreenAce92
RAWR!!! Lets fly...

Well saucerguy hope you can control that monster. He he maybe youll find it doing hovers it sounds like youve got alot of power on your hands. well good luck on the test flights on it.
Old 08-03-2007, 02:20 PM
Saucerguy2
Super Contributor

Default he he :)

I'm just glad I got the manual trim out of the way with the little one hooked up, this will be an insane combo with zero room for error in that area. Yeah, a little plane with my motor, lol.

Quick Reply: 2 P40 Warhawk Scratch Builds

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.09963 seconds with 13 queries