2 P40 Warhawk Scratch Builds - Page 2 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Foamies Talk about building, power setups and anything having to do with e-powered foamy planes!

2 P40 Warhawk Scratch Builds

Old 07-21-2007, 12:55 PM
Saucerguy2
Super Contributor

I'm oogling over your X birds, really nice and the original Canards in my book, well ahead of their time but little known. Very cool to look at alone, I may indeed make a few, they look like fun!

Along the current builds, I killed myself to use the pink foam as a plug building base, it turned out to be the wrong stuff to work with, it's Polystyrene folks, in case you opt to work with it, it's too chemical tempermental so I'm going to go back to traditional materials for plugs, I'd like to get ahold of the foam I used when creating fiberglass plugs, it loved resin and damn near anything else so it wasn't a problem in this area. I have plaster, perhaps I should be using it for the plug and mold system of choice, hmmmmmmmmmm.

I put on 2 coats of Krylon on the yellow bird, that's the one with the dihedral, bashed together a canopy for it and carved down it's seating area to make it's plug for fiberglass land, will have to tinker with that one more before I'm ready to make a mold from it. Shown is the Cowl plug with the first layer of resin on it, the glassing comes after it's fully kicked off and hopefully I can seperate the two.

Hindsight is 20/20, if the cowl mold does'nt seperate, I'm not going to lose sleep over it, I should have done it as well as the canopy in foam, and may just do it regardless, I spent two days on creating the plugs on both, I could easily spend 2 months or two years at this point. This is how it goes I guess. I'm looking down at these planes now going, this is kiler, some raw EPS for the most part, and I have these two birds in my hanger that are turning out sweet I can make as many as I want easily.

Along your own foam cutter and tech stuff, you don't have to wander outside of Watt flyer or RCU much at all, I'll start you out here: http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/show...418#post215418
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	6.jpg
Views:	499
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	35991   Click image for larger version

Name:	7.jpg
Views:	629
Size:	134.9 KB
ID:	35992  
Old 07-21-2007, 06:34 PM
GreenAce92
RAWR!!! Lets fly...

Thanks for the link and your birds are looking nicely. Sorry to hear one of your Plug bases didnt work. Kinda surprising to hear since sub builders use polystyrene alot for alot of the hull construction and pretty much the whole submarine itself. But umm yeah those X planes are pretty cool. And i have built acouple of canards and i use the Canards Center OF Gravity calculator and i must say they work very well. But your birds are looking pretty close to completion. Hey are your wings a double airfoil type so that you can buzz the ground upside down(hey it rhymes!) and oh hey how thick are your wings at the thickest part. Because for my F4F wildcat build(can't start it till i measure the Cub's parts.) i was planning on using flat foam buit i figured no because i would like it to have lift. I might do a double airfoil so i can do upside down flights too but im not sure how i would do that with rudder and elevator controls.

Nice job on your 2 P40's.
Note: I think i see a pink warbird in the air in the future.
Old 07-21-2007, 07:41 PM
GreenAce92
RAWR!!! Lets fly...

Hey i have this simple idea on how to make a foam cutter can you tell me if its a good idea. Im visualizing it in my head and i think its a great simple idea. I thought that if i grabbed a paperclip and wrapped it around a soddering gun's hot metal part usually the tip piece and i wrapped the paperclip around there securely i could probably heat up the paper clip pretty hot and just cut around a foam shape. Is that pheasable?
Old 07-21-2007, 09:28 PM
smokejohnson
Super Contributor

Hi GreenAce,
Have you seen these? If the paper clip idea doesn't work out you could try it. If you get one let me know how it works.
Old 07-21-2007, 11:13 PM
GreenAce92
RAWR!!! Lets fly...

Hey those dont look bad at all. they look like they would work well, ingenious how they would make a soddering iron be able to mount a knife on it. Thats a cool idea. Maybe ill take a hobby knife and wrap a paperclip around it while its attached to a soddering iron.
Old 07-22-2007, 12:31 AM
Saucerguy2
Super Contributor

I use two wire cutters, will be building more for future builds like this, the latest one is 10", and all I did was take a piece of fiberglass rod, notched it on both ends, bent it to the shape of a bow and tied the wire on both ends, very similar to a native American hunting bow and is the simplist way to do it. The main one looks like capitol letter I with one side that pivots, the wire is attached to I hooks on one side and the opposite side is held in place with springs. The tension is necessary to have in place since once the wire heats up, it expands, so in a nutshell, just make a bow, or rig a spring onto the wire to create tension, attach your car battery charger leads on both sides and you have a wire cutter. Mine is set to 12 volts, 10 amps for the 48" bow, and 12 volts, 2 amps for the 10" one, but is a little hot, I should invest in a dimmer switch to regulate the power better.

Along the airfoil, you are talking about a symmetrical one, and yeah, that's the optimum way to go for inverted flying, be sure you ditch the dihedral as well. On one of mine, it has an airfoil, but no dihedral so it should handle inverted flying well, especially given the power to weight ratio since I don't technically have to depend upon the airfoil for lift, and counterlift isn't going to be a huge element, but I do like symmetrical airfoils as well.

Along the plugs, this is the first time I used polystyrene as a base material for them, with traditional fiberglass work, they actually manufacture a fiberglass based foam that's used for carving bulkheads and other various forms including jigs. My mistake was not testing the resin, and even the orange oil paste wax managed to damage the pieces in spite of the amount of bondo I put on them after the fact, it's too tempermental for this application obviously. Luckily on the cowl, once the original piece is created, I can further refine it and use it as a plug so these first two don't have to be perfect.
Old 07-22-2007, 01:33 AM
GreenAce92
RAWR!!! Lets fly...

Hey sweet idea with the bow wire cutter + car battery. I tried the paperclip thing didnt work too well i think i will just hold a lighter up to a screw driver and cut with it. Yeah i think i will do a double airfoil. Well once the cowl works show us some pics and also the complete plane.
Old 07-22-2007, 12:19 PM
Saucerguy2
Super Contributor

What ever works, low tech stuff is king in a pinch, especially with the one time projects.

I started to gear it up, the cowl came out, be it a bit rougher then I wanted, but it's more of an option, I may likely redo it in foam for futer planes of this line to get it more to scale looks. It's quite functional regardless, and in fact, bullet proof so I don't expect to have to look at cowl cracks in the future. I also may do it in vaccume form land as well, who knows, it's a fun build for now. The canopy I ended up using the original plug for, this time backwards, just hit the mat with some resin set to hot, hoping it would kick off before the foam started to melt. I got decent results going that route be it not perfect, but good enough to use, so the canopy did indeed was done in fiberglass as well on this one.

As you can see, the motor and esc are buried in the cowl, they may not be that way with the more scale one, "well likely" but wanted to at least be able to come back to this as an option for future birds of this line squaderan wise.

Name:	8.jpg
Views:	398
Size:	104.1 KB
ID:	36058   Click image for larger version

Name:	9.jpg
Views:	478
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	36059   Click image for larger version

Name:	10.jpg
Views:	466
Size:	131.1 KB
ID:	36060  
Old 07-22-2007, 02:11 PM
smokejohnson
Super Contributor

Very nice Brian, anxiously awaiting a flight report. What motor and prop are you running?
Old 07-22-2007, 04:16 PM
GreenAce92
RAWR!!! Lets fly...

Great Job it looks like she would be ready after you tweak her some more. Would you be able to at least put the Rx inside? Just a suggestion because im seeing this future crash where the plane shaters and the rx flies off somewhere but your P40 looks pretty strong. Make sure you get a good CG and are you putting wheels on the birds or no? Other wise hey could you see if you could take a vid of your first flight i would like to see how it would fly the first time.

Keep the build up.
She's looking mighty fine.
Old 07-22-2007, 11:48 PM
Saucerguy2
Super Contributor

Default Thanks

The RX is going nowhere, I hit the velcro on the bottom of it with a dab of hot glue, I really never had any problems with gearing on the outside in the past at all, in fact, it helps keep everything cooler. The esc is mounted, stuffed onto the firewall, I may open up the front of the cowl for ventalation because of that.

Going with the solid core fuse, it's much stronger then hollow, that's one of the reasons I left it that way, another being, I can now build more easily since the jigs and cut procedures are what takes the most time, I plan upon making more, as stated before, I'm making a squaderan, and the others will be even more refined. For now, I'm just wanting to get these first two airborn, adjust what's necessary and incorporate what revisions I do along the way towards the others by default, so consider these as test beds only.

COG is 3/4" from the leading edge, it will adjust slightly aft of that after adding the pushrods and will still remain conservatively nose heavy. The prop is a 9/5, I had to drill out a recessed area to accomodate the spinner, the 9/6 will work with it without revisions, just the LHS tends to run out of my preferred props this time of year.

I found taking video on maidens turned out to be bad luck, even when I took them in the past with success, the flight ended up being uneventful since I never push the limits on the first few flights, always doing extensive post flight checks to see what's needing to be adjusted or fine tuned, and progressively push the limits during each successive flight. The last time I ignored that rule, resulted in disaster, ie. the wing mount came loose from my 108 mid flight and it plummeted to the ground, the reason, I was banking it way too hard for what it was designed for and I'd see it was becomming loose if I were to take it easy on it..
Old 07-23-2007, 12:39 AM
GreenAce92
RAWR!!! Lets fly...

Velcro's a good idea. Hey if you have the optic 6 and you decide to do a squadron you can have 8 planes. All you will have to do is make some labels for them. But anyways does you taking videos of maiden flights really end up being bad luck? Also how big is your battery like on a fully charged batt how much airtime to you get?

Glad you havent run into serious problems yet.
Hope you dont crash them right away.
Old 07-23-2007, 01:41 PM
Saucerguy2
Super Contributor

The radio doesn't hold back what I fly at all, I simply remember the proper trim, and/or adjust it manually so can keep everything at nuetral and not worry at all.

She's geared up fully and ready for the maiden now, I added some bamboo screwers to the lower side of the wing and aft section of the fuse to stengthen them up since it warrented it. Unfortunately it's going to be mid/late this week "hoping" since it's still very wet out to take to the air. This gives me time to revise the second one prior to adding gear and refine the process for the next ones.

Name:	11.jpg
Views:	331
Size:	101.0 KB
ID:	36133   Click image for larger version

Name:	12.jpg
Views:	358
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	36134   Click image for larger version

Name:	13.jpg
Views:	380
Size:	119.9 KB
ID:	36135  
Old 07-23-2007, 02:51 PM
GreenAce92
RAWR!!! Lets fly...

Hey that looks great. Hope my F4F Wildcat looks as good as yours. I probably will not paint mine so it will be a pink plane. But yeah great job now this is the one with the Dihedral right? Well cant wait to hear from ya once you fly her. Umm oh yeah good idea with bamboo scewers, there somewhat lightweight so thats a great idea. Oh and have you done a speed and prop+motor calculating yet where it tells you how fast your plane can go. It would be sweet if you could buzz the ground at 50mph.

Glad everythings working out for ya.
Let us know how your flight goes.

Last edited by GreenAce92; 12-21-2007 at 03:37 AM.
Old 07-24-2007, 01:03 PM
Saucerguy2
Super Contributor

Default Progress

I added even more screwers to the equasion on #2, it's very rock solid of a platform now, I'll inbed these into all areas on the rest of the squaderan in the future for looks sakes. Glad I didn't have to bust out any carbon fiber, that stuff is too damn expensive.

#2 shown is almost fully geared up, the ailerons are not tucked away so are showing full up per the tape tolerances, I'm using laminate, commonly referrred to as formica for the control horns, it's alot stronger then basswood or light ply and I have more then I'll ever use in my lifetime in scrap, so am going to use it on this and many more future planes, it worked 100% on other scratch planes in the past without fail.

#3 and #4 there may be some surprizes in store for you guys on all levels, Smoke, take this to heart, I have you earmarked for building one of them.

I settled on the cowl on #2 to be a free hand scratch and bash creation as well as the canopy, yeah, I gotta rough it out from raw stock, but it's too small to wire cut effectively, so using pink foam stock, it was really quick work to do regardless, that and especially with the cowl, different motor's will require different cowl sizes, so standardization would limit what could be used on it. #2 is using the TowerPro 2406-21.

Name:	14.jpg
Views:	370
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	36235  
Old 07-24-2007, 01:49 PM
Slowjohn
Passed on

Looking good SG but a 2406-21?
Slowjohn
Old 07-24-2007, 02:05 PM
Saucerguy2
Super Contributor

Why do you ask SJ?
Old 07-24-2007, 02:26 PM
GreenAce92
RAWR!!! Lets fly...

Hey Great work on your 2 planes. The P40's are looking great! Hey i have another suggestion for your warbird squadron,. How about the Ishak I think the soviets built it. Its really short but i thought it was a neat looking plane. Otherwise cant wait till they fly. I havent gotten my SDM piper in yet so i cant messure out any parts and plan the size for my F4F.

Otherwise once you get to fly them let us know how they go.
Good job keep it up.
Old 07-24-2007, 02:40 PM
Grasshopper
Some Assembly Required

Originally Posted by SaucerGuy View Post
I added even more screwers to the equasion on #2, it's very rock solid of a platform now, I'll inbed these into all areas on the rest of the squaderan in the future for looks sakes. Glad I didn't have to bust out any carbon fiber, that stuff is too damn expensive.

#2 shown is almost fully geared up, the ailerons are not tucked away so are showing full up per the tape tolerances, I'm using laminate, commonly referrred to as formica for the control horns, it's alot stronger then basswood or light ply and I have more then I'll ever use in my lifetime in scrap, so am going to use it on this and many more future planes, it worked 100% on other scratch planes in the past without fail.

#3 and #4 there may be some surprizes in store for you guys on all levels, Smoke, take this to heart, I have you earmarked for building one of them.

I settled on the cowl on #2 to be a free hand scratch and bash creation as well as the canopy, yeah, I gotta rough it out from raw stock, but it's too small to wire cut effectively, so using pink foam stock, it was really quick work to do regardless, that and especially with the cowl, different motor's will require different cowl sizes, so standardization would limit what could be used on it. #2 is using the TowerPro 2406-21.

Looks good SG. Those look like they would be great to make some other models and use them for combat. What a hoot it would be to have your P-40s a zero, Hellcat, P-51 and ME-109. Keep up the good work.
Old 07-24-2007, 03:17 PM
Saucerguy2
Super Contributor

he he, I'll have a squaderan of them all soon enough buddy. It took longer to make the jigs then the planes themselves. Gettiing side tracked with the fiberglass element really held it all back, I have that option now for future P40's should I choose it.
Old 07-24-2007, 05:56 PM
GreenAce92
RAWR!!! Lets fly...

Well good job heres a picture of that Ishak plane i was talking about its just cool how its stubby like the Gee Bee Sportster. Otherwise once my budget settles i hope i can make a nice squadron too. If i made a P40 I probably will make the Flying Tigers type.

http://vvs.hobbyvista.com/Modeling/P...ard_i16_08.jpg
Old 07-25-2007, 01:07 AM
smokejohnson
Super Contributor

Looking good Brian, I can't wait to get my hands on it. I'm thinking a 2409-12T with a 8x6 3-blade prop. It should really haul the mail.
Old 07-25-2007, 04:07 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Great looking planes, I like the way the Cowl came out, very nice, keep up the good work Brian, chellie
Old 07-25-2007, 04:18 AM
Saucerguy2
Super Contributor

Thanks guys, I'm keeping the cowl and the canopy in scratch bash land due to the fluctuations which will be necessary should different gear get used, that and to keep it lighter. I'll be working on new plugs for them, will take quite a while to get them perfect, it was weird working with such small pieces in fiberglass.

The more of these I build, the more refined the process will be, I'm going to build another for a more extensively documented build log on it and may even stuff the gear on the inside for those purists. I have some brushed gear and alot of older nimh packs, will see if I can get them to work with it, it will be nice to put those back to good use again.
Old 07-25-2007, 04:45 AM
GreenAce92
RAWR!!! Lets fly...

>I have some brushed gear and a lot of older nimh packs, will see if i can get them to work with it, it will be nice to put those back to good use again.

Hey what can i say in this hobby i dont think anyone can afford to waste much. Otherwise good job on everything. Its looking good. Hey for your 3rd P40 you could just figure out where the electronics would go and cut out the shapes then put them in.

Quick Reply: 2 P40 Warhawk Scratch Builds

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.10336 seconds with 21 queries