SUPER Quick Delta Scratch Build - Page 8 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Delta & Flying Wings Discuss electric powered delta (flying wing) style aircraft here.

SUPER Quick Delta Scratch Build

Old 03-26-2007, 05:11 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by smokejohnson View Post
Here's a pic, just in case. After watching the video in the club forum of Kosh flying his I don't know if I can fly it or not. Hopefully he had them set up to do this. If my roll rate is going to be anything close to that I'm in trouble.

Hey Your delta looks just like mine Good job, hang in there, and soon you will be a expert on deltas like Kosh I wish I could fly a delta just half as good as he does :o I am getting there, Chellie
Old 03-26-2007, 05:18 AM
skiman762
FFFC

I'll try to post some pics of my new one tomorrow if I get some time
Old 03-26-2007, 05:27 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by skiman762 View Post
One thing to look at I have been all over the web looking at deltas and most that are 22-23 inches long have wing spans over 24'' closer to 27
I'm sure that change how they fly
I agree, the width the length, the weight all come into play, thats where some experimenting comes in, but its fun, and you wont go broke building & perfecting a foamy to get it to fly just the way you want it to, I think thats half the fun, the Challange of making it fly right, what ever the configuration it may be, delta or other wise, here is a pusher cat that myself and Jay at GITech are getting ready for the market, we will both be doing some R&D on two alike pushers to come up with the best possible flying plane, we will be looking at adding some balsa strips to the leading edge like Skiman762 suggested to trick the airflow to make it think it has a curved wing rather than a flat wing and what ever tricks we can come up with to make it dosal at low speeds and a tiger at high speeds, here is a few pics of the Pusher, Take care, Chellie
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	KISSJET6.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	175.1 KB
ID:	26946   Click image for larger version

Name:	KISSJET3.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	196.4 KB
ID:	26947  
Old 03-26-2007, 05:31 AM
skiman762
FFFC

looks like it need a little screamer back there
Old 03-26-2007, 05:35 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by skiman762 View Post
looks like it need a little screamer back there
that would be nice too its being built so you can toss whatever motor prop combination you want, it has about 8" between the booms, that gives a person lots of choices Take care, Chellie
Old 03-26-2007, 08:11 AM
Kosh
Super Contributor

The deltas are all about finding the right CG to make them handle right. Guess I should have said more about the video I posted but its never too late. That Delta-7 is much smaller and lighter with the end point adjustment set to 125% throws for control and thats what makes it roll so fast. You have more wing area and for the most part a more stable plane so it wont be that hairy. I launch ALL planes upward like Chellie said because it gives you the little extra time needed to get my hands on the controls and pull up. Because every build is just a little different with servo placement, motors and batteries we cant just give a set place for CG and I think you see why now. I just eyeball about 35% from the front and try my battery there, now I know there are better and more scientific way to do this but it works for me most times.

Batteries, Sorry to hear it didn't go well on your last outing but you have to be so close now. I bet 3rd times a charm for yeah.

Smokejohnson, Sounds like your also ready to go. Your plane looks great and best of luck on the maiden.

Chellie, Great looking cat. Love the graphics you did to it and it really should be the best of both worlds. Plenty of speed but will slow to a walking pace. Nice work !!!
Old 03-26-2007, 08:32 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Kosh View Post
The deltas are all about finding the right CG to make them handle right. Guess I should have said more about the video I posted but its never too late. That Delta-7 is much smaller and lighter with the end point adjustment set to 125% throws for control and thats what makes it roll so fast. You have more wing area and for the most part a more stable plane so it wont be that hairy. I launch ALL planes upward like Chellie said because it gives you the little extra time needed to get my hands on the controls and pull up. Because every build is just a little different with servo placement, motors and batteries we cant just give a set place for CG and I think you see why now. I just eyeball about 35% from the front and try my battery there, now I know there are better and more scientific way to do this but it works for me most times.

Batteries, Sorry to hear it didn't go well on your last outing but you have to be so close now. I bet 3rd times a charm for yeah.

Smokejohnson, Sounds like your also ready to go. Your plane looks great and best of luck on the maiden.

Chellie, Great looking cat. Love the graphics you did to it and it really should be the best of both worlds. Plenty of speed but will slow to a walking pace. Nice work !!!
Thank you Kosh, we try, jay and I will be working out the fine details, and should have it out soon, take care & stay sweet Chellie
Old 03-26-2007, 11:51 AM
smokejohnson
Super Contributor

That is one sweet looking bird Chellie, keep up the good work. Do you do a coat of poly-u to get the paint to stick? I played around with the finish on the delta and was shocked at how easy the paint came off. I guess none of my painted planes have lasted long enough for an endurance test.

Thanks for the words of encouragement Kosh. I'm thinking about calling in and telling the boss my truck won't start so I can fly this morning.
Old 03-26-2007, 01:19 PM
skiman762
FFFC

Smoke I've never paint depron only blucore
I know depron is very slick that's why you see printed decals instead of paint on most of them
lots of people use colored packing tape to accent the white and it adds strengh as well
but I would say try a water based sealer I know micheals carrys stuff just for our use
It's called Delta creamcoat they make a sealer and varnish also paints
Old 03-26-2007, 01:38 PM
BatteriesIncluded
Ouch

Originally Posted by Kosh View Post

Thanks for the words of encouragement. I woke up this morning with new determiniation and will be back at it again soon. Can't let foam get the best of me. I'll be trying free glides now until I get it right.
Old 03-26-2007, 02:00 PM
GA-Flyer
GA-Flyer

You guys are looking great, ordering my electrics today, pics coming soon as I can. Project interupted, assembled a trampoline for the kids this week-end, life goes on...lol

Doyle
Old 03-26-2007, 02:14 PM
GA-Flyer
GA-Flyer

Got a question, I had toyed with an idea of putting wheels on a delta and just keep the flaps pointed down while rolling and then pull them up and boom you should launch right up....or so goes the movie in my mind.

I haven't seen anyone doing this, is there a reason? I often break a few rules of physics with these movies in mind so, can it, should it, has anyone ever seen this?

Doyle
Old 03-26-2007, 02:29 PM
skiman762
FFFC

Originally Posted by GA-Flyer View Post
Got a question, I had toyed with an idea of putting wheels on a delta and just keep the flaps pointed down while rolling and then pull them up and boom you should launch right up....or so goes the movie in my mind.

I haven't seen anyone doing this, is there a reason? I often break a few rules of physics with these movies in mind so, can it, should it, has anyone ever seen this?

Doyle
The main reason is weight and drag
but if you don't mind the extra weight and drag it will work just reset your cg after the gear goes on
Old 03-26-2007, 07:34 PM
Kosh
Super Contributor

That is one sweet looking bird Chellie, keep up the good work. Do you do a coat of poly-u to get the paint to stick? I played around with the finish on the delta and was shocked at how easy the paint came off. I guess none of my painted planes have lasted long enough for an endurance test.

Thanks for the words of encouragement Kosh. I'm thinking about calling in and telling the boss my truck won't start so I can fly this morning.
Try this next time, Spray the foam with Windex or some other cleaner to remove the release agents used in making it. Latex paint sticks well and is flexible but heavy so go lite with it. I use colored packing tape on mine as its very light. Tell your boss you have a eye problem and just cant see coming in today. :p

Originally Posted by GA-Flyer View Post

Doyle
No reason it cant be done but the roll rate does suffer from it. I just use a little epoxy on the landing skids to toughen then up and they hold up well enough to land on pavement.
Old 03-26-2007, 07:37 PM
smokejohnson
Super Contributor

WOOHOOO!!! I LOVE IT!!!

It was too windy to trim it out or check the glide but it was a blast at WOT! Every time I started to throttle back the wind would grab it but what do you expect in 10-15 MPH winds. I just did a couple of circles and brought it in. I'm sure it's going to fly great when I can fly in calm conditions and trim it out. My bottom fin and motor stick came loose on the landing (wonder how that happened:p) no damage just loose. I'll reinforce it with some scrap foam. Thanks Chellie for a cool plane.
Old 03-26-2007, 07:50 PM
smokejohnson
Super Contributor

I'll have to try that Kosh, thanks again. Going to go pick up some more foam board this evening and look for some colored packing tape.
Old 03-26-2007, 08:04 PM
JoeBruce

Congrats on the maiden, smoke! Things are really looking up for you lately! Can't wait to build my SQD (after I finish moving)!
Old 03-26-2007, 08:09 PM
Kosh
Super Contributor

Well done Smoke, After a few more test flights you can help out with some of the questions about these. Congrats ...
Old 03-26-2007, 08:58 PM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

WOOHOOO!!! I LOVE IT!!!

It was too windy to trim it out or check the glide but it was a blast at WOT! Every time I started to throttle back the wind would grab it but what do you expect in 10-15 MPH winds. I just did a couple of circles and brought it in. I'm sure it's going to fly great when I can fly in calm conditions and trim it out. My bottom fin and motor stick came loose on the landing (wonder how that happened:p) no damage just loose. I'll reinforce it with some scrap foam. Thanks Chellie for a cool plane.

SO KEWL glad you like it. on the bracing, use some 1/4 balsa triangle, sand the center point down a little, so it fits snug, I use 5 min epoxy on my builds, it super strong, on the colors I use trim tape from hobby people, it comes in strips of 5" x 36" or you can paint it with Krylon short cut paints, use it in thin coats, it works great and wont peel off, here is some links for the paint, also I am using a 10mm carbon fiber tube for the motor mount now, and a radial motor mount for the towerpro outrunner motors, like the 2408-21 and the 2409-12, I get those from GIT a Hobby, here are some links for the paint, etc, also here is a link for some 6mm depron at great prices, take care, Chellie

PS I am starting a on line hobby shop, called KISS HOBBIES, just in the start up phase right now, Check out my LOGO
K--eep I--t S--imple S-- you know the rest

http://www.misterart.com/g1014/Krylon-Short-Cuts.htm

http://www.rcpowers.com/depron.htm

http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/535302.asp

http://www.bizingo.com/m/GITech/pC/9...eplacement.asp
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	KISSHOBBIES6.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	121.4 KB
ID:	26992  

Last edited by CHELLIE; 03-26-2007 at 09:02 PM. Reason: add info
Old 03-26-2007, 10:01 PM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

I'll have to try that Kosh, thanks again. Going to go pick up some more foam board this evening and look for some colored packing tape.

Hi Smoke I use a thin piece of basswood on the bottom of the skid, glue it on with 5 min epoxy, hold it untill dry with some masking tape, Take care & stay sweet Chellie
Old 03-26-2007, 10:03 PM
JoeBruce

Originally Posted by CHELLIE View Post
PS I am starting a on line hobby shop, called KISS HOBBIES, just in the start up phase right now, Check out my LOGO
K--eep I--t S--imple S-- you know the rest
Good luck on the new venture, Chellie! With the talent you've displayed here, I imagine you'll be quite successful!
Old 03-26-2007, 10:08 PM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by JoeBruce View Post
Good luck on the new venture, Chellie! With the talent you've displayed here, I imagine you'll be quite successful!

Thank you Bruce for the complements , I love this stuff, its a labor of love for me, I will post a giant hydro soon, working on that with my friend Jay at GIT a Hobby.com for the market and a pusher jet, I may be getting older, But I refuse to Grow up I am having too much fun :p Take care & Stay Sweet, Chellie
Old 03-26-2007, 10:50 PM
skiman762
FFFC

Smoke
Where did your cg end up ?
Old 03-27-2007, 12:06 AM
smokejohnson
Super Contributor

It's right at the 6" mark. Like I said the wind was blowing like crazy so it's hard to tell how it was handling. That I was able to manage a couple of circuits and bring it in with no damage tells me the cog must be close. Winds have calmed a little and I adjusted for more throw going out now to fly it again.
Old 03-27-2007, 12:47 AM
smokejohnson
Super Contributor

I like the cog at 6". Went high cut the throttle and let go of the stick it was a steep glide, too steep for landing, but not a brick by no means. I need more power! At half throttle it will barely holds altitude and loses it quick when I turn. It didn't want to loop but that maybe due to lack of power. I have a Brio 10-10 I may try to mount on it and see how it does. I need to order more stuff!

Quick Reply: SUPER Quick Delta Scratch Build

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.09905 seconds with 14 queries