SSOS (a Slow Stick build thread) - Page 3 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Aerial Photography Discuss all aerial photography topics as they relate to rc aircraft

SSOS (a Slow Stick build thread)

Old 02-17-2007, 02:17 AM
Flyer 1
Flying Is Living

I've got an APC SlowFlyer 11x4.7 on there right now. I believe I MIGHT go with a 10x6, though, if the motor performs as I think it will. It'll have the benefit of lots of torque, plus added speed for windy situations.
Yep, those're 3.5 connectors. Thankfully they came already soldered - even after soldering for 30 years I STILL have problems installing bullet connectors.
I think the Waypoint is just a tad larger in diameter (and heavier) than your motor. I've got one exactly like yours, and it's been great. In fact it was powering my Rascal on it's last flight. RIP!
I like the yellow too. I think I'm going to give it a sort of "Yellow Jacket" paintjob. I'm curious, too, to see one of the blue versions - they look very bright.
Flyer
Old 02-21-2007, 02:55 PM
aviatordave
Super Contributor

Default Update

Well I got email confirmation that my 'STUFF' will be here on Feb. 23!

If thats the case then this platform will be complete and ready to fly this weekend.

I also picked up a Pentax Optio S6 that I will use for movies and photos.

The weather here has turned! we have 40-50 degree days and the snow is melting fast.

So stay tuned and I will wrap this up!

Dave
Old 02-21-2007, 06:43 PM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Hi Dave Kewl its almost ready, We Want pictures & videos Question, where is the CG located at on your Slow Stick, that should give me an idea where I need to go with my scratch built SS, also flew the delta wing again yesterday, Its a sweet fast flyer, rolls are super fast, and it does about 50 to 60 MPH, with a little 2408-21 and a 6.250 X 6 prop, its a cut down 7x6 prop, going to the rosebowl today to get in a few more flights, before it rains tomorrow, Take care, Chellie
Old 02-22-2007, 12:13 AM
SAVS

Originally Posted by aviatordave View Post
I also picked up a Pentax Optio S6 that I will use for movies and photos.
Why would you use the S6 for video? I only ask as I use the S6 and I have not even considered using it for video. I am going to get the manual and read up on the S6 video right now. I have an Eyecam that I use for video w/the 9v battery plug.

http://www.rctoys.com/rc-toys-and-pa...IDEO-KITS.html

According to the book you can do 40 min @ S.Fine 640X480 with a 2GB SD Card. I am impressed! As soon as I get some non-windy days I will surely give it a try. My Eyecam does 365 lines and looks good, I wonder what the S6 does in comparison?

Last edited by SAVS; 02-22-2007 at 01:35 AM. Reason: Did some reading...
Old 02-22-2007, 02:02 PM
aviatordave
Super Contributor

here is a sample video from the eyecam (looks to be a cmos sensor)

http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/r...atemontage.wmv

Here is a sample from my s5z (same video format as the s6, ccd sensor)

Fall video

of course the eyecam is prob lighter, but the s5/s6 only weighs 4.3 oz w/battery

A 4 oz camera wont phase a slowstick/magpie/easystar

Dave

Last edited by aviatordave; 03-09-2008 at 05:12 PM. Reason: fixed link
Old 02-23-2007, 05:03 AM
aviatordave
Super Contributor

Default How is your Engrish?

Hey Chellie-

looks like the CG is almost 4" from the LE (3.93 in to be exact)

I attached the directions, enjoy!

Dave
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP1919.JPG
Views:	468
Size:	557.3 KB
ID:	24862  
Old 02-23-2007, 05:54 AM
Flyer 1
Flying Is Living

http://app3.websitetonight.com/proje...fall_video.wmv

Dave
That was a cool video. That was your 'Pie, right (looked like it from the shadow)?
I ask because rarely ever do you SEE a rearward view from one! It's to the side or straight ahead. Landing was cool (lotsa similar memories here), but the takeoff reminded me of, well - me! Away from the strip, right OVER the trees. COOL looking but dangerous.
Anyhow, I'll gradually make my way to the point, which was... um.... oh yeah! The SlowStick "Vortex" landing manuever!
I have NO idea whether the Vortex is done commonly or not (and yep, I'm the one that named it that), but thought I'd pass it on.
As a budding prof - proffe - er, proLIfic sport APer, getting shots of individual houses in crowded neighborhoods presents a near-impossible challenge for those who don't use helis. I could LEARN to fly a heli ok, I guess, but the mere thought of those large whirling blades around other people's property makes me nervous. Besides - I just like airplanes better.
Take off from a ten-foot wide sidestreet with half the neighborhood kids watching me makes me nervous too, though, when flying a SlowStick! I'cn get it above tree level within about 75 feet of takeoff - not usually a problem but the more houses, the more POWER LINES. Arg.
Enter the Vortex.
We know how fast and tight a SS will turn. Well, a SS with a big brushless outrunner will turn faster and just as tightly - but at the same time, go UP like crazy! I first worked on this manuever today, when maidening my new yaller SS (flies great).
First, overpower your SlowStick. That's a must. Then, take off at full-power and immediately turn right as tightly as possible. Your extra power will allow you to RISE just like Dorothy in the tornado - just head UP in a straight column of whirling wings. Hence the name "Vortex". The plane looks for all the world like a big, rotating propeller doing this.
Landing's the same way, though I haven't really mastered it yet. It's a matter of aligning your plane exactly right before entering the spiral. Practice should make perfect, though.
I'm gonna spend some quality simulator time tonight practicing Vortex landings. It seems to be the closest thing to VTOL as most of us will ever get.
Flyer
Old 02-23-2007, 05:56 AM
aviatordave
Super Contributor

Default Soldering the ESC & Motor connections

Below are some pictures of how I soldered the ESC & Motor connections. I used 3.5 mm bullet connectors between the ESC & Motor, and I used a Deans connector between the ESC & Battery.

To help aid in soldering I always use a scrap piece of wood and some alligator clips. It seems that 2 hands are never enough when it comes to this.

Click on the pictures below to read the notes...

Dave

Name:	IMGP1920.JPG
Views:	508
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	24868   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP1921.JPG
Views:	505
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	24869   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP1922.JPG
Views:	511
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	24870   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP1923.JPG
Views:	516
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	24871   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP1924.JPG
Views:	522
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	24872  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP1929.JPG
Views:	510
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	24873   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP1930.JPG
Views:	535
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	24874   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP1931.JPG
Views:	529
Size:	35.6 KB
ID:	24875   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP1932.JPG
Views:	507
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	24876   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP1933.JPG
Views:	518
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	24877  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP1934.JPG
Views:	522
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	24878   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP1935.JPG
Views:	472
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	24879   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP1936.JPG
Views:	474
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	24880  
Old 02-23-2007, 06:43 AM
aviatordave
Super Contributor

Default No flying anytime soon

Mother Nature says I'm going to be inside all weekend....and then some.

Mexico is looking better all the time

oh well. I'll finish it up this weekend and wait until the sun shines to fly.

Dave

Name:	WEATH.jpg
Views:	368
Size:	21.0 KB
ID:	24887  
Old 02-23-2007, 07:50 AM
Airhead
Redneck Member

Originally Posted by Kosh View Post
It all depends on what servos and where you place them but there really is no need for them. The HS-55's have very long cords and its rare for me to add a extension to one. Mine are under the wing or just behind it.

The fuse is cut to fit the box, New box is stronger so there's not as much damaged in transport. The new size also allows for more to fit in a shipping container so it saves on overall shipping costs.

This yellow SS is just for fun and I wont hang a camera on this one.
Hey Kosh,
I couldn't help but notice that fine Wattflyer sticker on your plane..Cool
Old 02-23-2007, 09:50 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Hey Chellie-

Dave
Thank you Very much Dave for the info., take care, Chellie
Old 02-23-2007, 02:35 PM
SAVS

here is a sample video from the eyecam
Dave
No comparison, the S6 is much better!
Old 02-23-2007, 04:17 PM
aviatordave
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by SAVS View Post
No comparison, the S6 is much better!
Also, you can continue to use a wireless downlink with the S6 as it has video out capabilities. Here is a good system that is quite affordable:

http://rangevideo.com/digilive.html

I'm prob going to go this route so I can see what the camera sees.

Dave
Old 02-23-2007, 05:55 PM
SAVS

wireless downlink with the S6...
Dave
It would be nice to have it go through my Eyewear and into the DVD/Cam for recording but I am not an electronics wiz and have problems getting a good pic without interfearance. I guess I just have to sit down and figure it out once and for all. I have every kind of 2.4 antenna, reciever, blah...blah...blah I need but getting it to behave is another thing.

I do like the "Digital Camera Preview System"...
Old 02-23-2007, 08:00 PM
SAVS

Just ordered a SS Yellow RTF, I can not wait to follow the mods and get her going! Can't fly might as well buy...
Old 02-24-2007, 03:43 AM
all_up_in_the_air
HeadsUp RC.com

Hey Jeff,

I havent had a chance to try out the 2825-09 motor yet that I got from you a couple weeks ago. I'm going with this setup - APC 11 x 5.5E: 27 oz thrust @ 12.0 amps with a pitch speed of 34 mph.

it will be mounted on a beefed up slowstick carrying a camera, all up weight will be about 30 oz. With the above numbers I believe that it should have decent vertical..or close to it. - Do you agree?

Dave

Hi Dave,
They closed the other thread, so I decided to answer you here.
The 2825-09 should do a very nice job for you. It's a very efficient motor, so you should get a nice long flight time, and you should have a very nice rate of climb. You can always step up to the 2836-10 if you feel you need/want more power. With the Lipo you're planning to use, you could have as much as 38 oz of thrust at about 22 amps using the APC 10x5E prop. And the 2836-10 will bolt right into the same mount as the 2825-09.
I really like the way you modified the SS, and the camera mount looks great. Hope the weather gives you a break.
Old 02-26-2007, 05:40 AM
Flyer 1
Flying Is Living

I got a pair of these packs from CommonSenseRC.com and thought I'd pass the info along.
They appear to be a near-perfect LiPo for the SS and APers. They discharge at 8C, so they've got a constant discharge rate of 16 amps. Bursts go up to 24. That's more than enough for most SS setups (unless you're using a BIG motor).
$24 bucks for a 3-cell, 2000 mah battery? A great deal! At $45 for two packs, I thought it'd be worth trying out. I've got a biggish outrunner on my yaller 'Stick, and they work absolutely fine - no sputtering and the battery is only a tad warm after flights.
Try one (or two) of these out - they're of very good quality, and the price tag is so low as to be unbelievable.
Flyer
Old 02-26-2007, 03:14 PM
aviatordave
Super Contributor

I have everything needed to finish this up except 1 thing:

We have no electricity at home. We had a pretty good ice storm come thru Iowa and knocked down 500 miles of transmission line. So I cant work in the dark

My work has internet, so here I am!

Here is a video I shot yesterday a couple miles from my house:

Ice storm 2007

(13 meg)

See how those big poles just snapped!

We have a fireplace at home and have been running it since Saturday...I've been able to keep the house warm (62 degrees) while its only 20 degrees outside.

Hopefully in the next couple days we will be back to normal

Dave

Last edited by aviatordave; 03-09-2008 at 05:13 PM. Reason: fixed link
Old 02-26-2007, 03:27 PM
all_up_in_the_air
HeadsUp RC.com

I couldn't get the video to download, but I sure know what nasty winter weather is - born and raised in Wisconsin. Hope you don't run out of firewood.
Old 02-26-2007, 03:33 PM
aviatordave
Super Contributor

its 13 meg, hopefully your on broadband. maybe just 'right mouse click' and 'save target as' will work
Old 02-26-2007, 04:02 PM
tallflyer
Robert V

Below are some pictures of how I soldered the ESC & Motor connections. I used 3.5 mm bullet connectors between the ESC & Motor, and I used a Deans connector between the ESC & Battery.

To help aid in soldering I always use a scrap piece of wood and some alligator clips. It seems that 2 hands are never enough when it comes to this.

Click on the pictures below to read the notes...

Dave
Great tip and advice in how to do a simple task! this is the kind of information that makes the boards great!

I use wooden cloth pins to hold my stuff in place, and what I do to install 3.5 gold adapter is I just drilled some holes in a piece of wood and the adapters fit in the holes. I drlled three for the males and three for the female's works great.

thanks again.
Old 02-26-2007, 05:26 PM
Flyer 1
Flying Is Living

I have everything needed to finish this up except 1 thing:

We have no electricity at home. We had a pretty good ice storm come thru Iowa and knocked down 500 miles of transmission line. So I cant work in the dark

My work has internet, so here I am!

Here is a video I shot yesterday a couple miles from my house:

Ice storm 2007

(13 meg)

See how those big poles just snapped!

We have a fireplace at home and have been running it since Saturday...I've been able to keep the house warm (62 degrees) while its only 20 degrees outside.

Hopefully in the next couple days we will be back to normal

Dave
Oh man - that looks just like it does here. Your environment is very similar to Ohio (this part, at least). That looks like a seriously dangerous situation - I only spotted one car stalled, though, so that's a good thing.
Funny thing - we didn't get as many power lines down as we did trees and roofs falling in. Then, during the last two days, the temps have shot into the forties. Now all the ice and most of the snow has melted and we've got flooding!
Flyer
Old 02-26-2007, 08:23 PM
xray328
Tear it up n' get a bunch

Dave,

What'd you make the carbon fiber landing gear mounts from?

Old 02-26-2007, 08:24 PM
xray328
Tear it up n' get a bunch

Hey Chellie-

Dave

Why can't GWS get these directions written better? I'll volunteer to rewrite the manual for free.
Old 02-26-2007, 09:02 PM
quailbird

I have a bunch of pictures of poles down all over the place and electicity out for as much a 7 days! Not good!

Quick Reply: SSOS (a Slow Stick build thread)

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.10973 seconds with 28 queries