E-Flite Mini Pulse XT - Page 4 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

ParkFlyers Talk about all backyard and parkflyer aircraft here

E-Flite Mini Pulse XT

Old 05-11-2007, 11:35 PM
gsk11740
I'm outta here!

Originally Posted by newjak View Post
Which 480 equivalent motor are you refering to? I have a 450 in mine now and I'm looking to up the power a bit.
I went with a Hextronik 35-30 1100kv from United Hobby. Cost all of $24 for the motor and I got a Hextronik 36 amp ESC also for another $24. I was a little nervous about dealing with the off brand stuff but it's turned out to be pretty good so far. I have an E-Flite 480 and E-flight 40 amp ESC in my Mini Pulse and the "cheap stuff" in the MUS seems to perform just as good but for half the cost.

One note though. I had to redrill the mounting holes to use the Hextronik motor mount. Easy to do on the MUS but could get messy on the Mini Pulse.
Old 05-21-2007, 04:09 AM
newjak
AMA Park Pilot Partner

I hope to re-maiden my MPXT after a rebuild due to crashing. Going from a PNP 450 to a rimfire 35-30 1250. I'm sure if I had the additional power to beging with I would have been able to get out of the trouble I put myself in. Hopefully the wx will cooperate
Old 05-21-2007, 02:52 PM
gsk11740
I'm outta here!

Originally Posted by newjak View Post
I hope to re-maiden my MPXT after a rebuild due to crashing. Going from a PNP 450 to a rimfire 35-30 1250. I'm sure if I had the additional power to beging with I would have been able to get out of the trouble I put myself in. Hopefully the wx will cooperate
That's the motor I almost went with instead of the E-Flite 480. The only thing that stopped me was a misunderstanding of that "35-30" meant so I went with the 480 because I knew it would work. I hear the Rimfire 35-30 is even more powerful than the E-Flite 480 so I think you'll like it. I wish I had gone that way now.

I wish they would "standardize" these motor numbers into something that makes sense!
Old 05-21-2007, 08:44 PM
newjak
AMA Park Pilot Partner

I agree 100% That is one of the things that had made figuring electric flight so difficult for me. Before I found my way to these forums I did a whole lot of "buy and try" to get things where I wanted.
Old 05-22-2007, 04:33 AM
TexasRCFlyer

Originally Posted by ORD2FRA View Post
After 10 or 12 flights, I am really loving this airplane. I have the Park 450 (NOT all-in-one, a regular 4mm shaft). This thing is fast with a 10x7E prop, and can almost do vertical with a fresh pack.

Radio is a DX-6 with HS-55 servos.

I have my throws set at A55/90%, E60/85% (low rate/high rate). Every two flights I bump the high rates up another 5%, although I am happy where they are now.

Mixing rudder and aileron: for takeoff and landing I mix ailerons with 60% rudder. I find it tracks better on final and leaves your left thumb for steering and throttle. I turn this on and off with the gear toggle.

Flaps. I have flaps at 55%, and it has a beautiful glide. It's set to have an almost hands-off approach, just blip the throttle if the descent gets too quick. I use flaps to get off the ground quicker, and a slower landing speed since the field needs to be mowed and the Mini-Pulse's wheels are too small.

Inverted flight is possible and I've been getting better at it. Snap rolls are my new thing and this thing can take a real beating. I hesitate on pulling out of high-G maneuvers with high rates on, I think I'll break the horiz stab! So for vertical pull-outs I'll use low rates and a gentle round out. It looks more polished anyway!

I have a MUS waiting for me when the Pulse gets to be old, but right now it is a great airplane and I really enjoy flying it.
I just ordered the Pulse XT PNP. From reading this thread, let me know if I am right.
You can ALMOST get vertical with it on a fresh pack and it is POSSIBLE to do inverted flight?
I just assumed this being a pattern/aerobatic flyer that it would have great vertical and inverted flight as a given. I take it that vertical means it can go straight up vertical with full power right?
I am new to some of this terminology I just wanted to make sure I know what I am getting.
Does this mean that the plane will not go straight up easily throughout the pack? I dont mean this at all as critical of the post, I just want to make sure I am getting the right plane for what I want. I currently have a Cap 232 BP and love it. Its just kind of small but I love the excess power with my Park 450 on it. I agree with the earlier post that I would rather have excess power to climb out of a problem rather than not enough.
Thanks,
Brad
Old 05-22-2007, 12:26 PM
ORD2FRA

Originally Posted by TexasRCFlyer View Post
You can ALMOST get vertical with it on a fresh pack and it is POSSIBLE to do inverted flight?
I just assumed this being a pattern/aerobatic flyer that it would have great vertical and inverted flight as a given. I take it that vertical means it can go straight up vertical with full power right?

Since I wrote that, I got a 11x7E prop, and with a 4mm Park 450 it will do vertical during the whole pack. Inverted it'll do about anything you want, I am just getting comfortable with it.

It's not a 3D flyer by any means, but it will do a nice pattern routine. I find it's a great plane to fly between a trainer and something more advanced. It's fast, looks good, and allows you to work on skills you'll need later.
Old 05-23-2007, 01:20 PM
Doc Austin
Team Extreme Flight

The Pulse will fly inverted with the 450, but it is a bit of a disappointment (IMHO, of course) in general with that motor. I sold my first Pulse after one day because it just wasn't entertaining enough. I built another one because I didn't think I'de given the plane a fair chance, and the same thing happened.

But, I really like the plane, so I jammed a 480 in the third one. That did it for me. Now the Pulse does everything I want it to do. It's an equal #1 favorite with my 480 powered Mini Ultra Stick. Go back to the last page and check out my Pulse video if you want to see what this plane can do with a 480.

EDIT: This will save you from having to dig for it..............

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rawC-C9JMWA

Does this mean that the plane will not go straight up easily throughout the pack? I dont mean this at all as critical of the post, I just want to make sure I am getting the right plane for what I want.
By the time you upgrade to a 480 and 40 amp esc, you've only spent about another $20. Of course, you will want to go with 2100mah batteries, so that's another expense. Still, the 480 is well worth ther money because the performance difference is night and day.

With the 450 the Pulse is a nice little plane, but with the 480 it's a firebreathing monster.

I agree with the earlier post that I would rather have excess power to climb out of a problem rather than not enough.
Again, check the video and watch my Pulse climb out with the 480.
Old 05-23-2007, 04:33 PM
gsk11740
I'm outta here!

Originally Posted by ORD2FRA View Post
Since I wrote that, I got a 11x7E prop, and with a 4mm Park 450 it will do vertical during the whole pack. Inverted it'll do about anything you want, I am just getting comfortable with it.

It's not a 3D flyer by any means, but it will do a nice pattern routine. I find it's a great plane to fly between a trainer and something more advanced. It's fast, looks good, and allows you to work on skills you'll need later.
I had the 3mm PNP version of the 450 in mine and it was extremely underpowered. Maybe there is some truth to the 3mm vs 4mm 450 discussions I've read. Anyway, I put the PNP 450 in my Curtiss Jenny. Seems like a more appropriate place for it!
Old 05-23-2007, 04:37 PM
gsk11740
I'm outta here!

Originally Posted by Doc Austin View Post
With the 450 the Pulse is a nice little plane, but with the 480 it's a firebreathing monster.
I think that sums it up pretty well. What I like about the 480 in mine is at part throttle, it still flies around in a very mellow way just like it did with the 450 if I so desire. Nice "Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde" personality I think.
Old 05-23-2007, 10:13 PM
qmulus

Is there any experience here using a Rimfire 35-30-950? I bought a MPXT a couple of days ago, but couldn't find an E-Flite 450 or 480 in stock locally. The Rimfire 35-30-950 looks to have performance in between the 450 and 480, with a listed weight (71g) that is comparable to the 450. With luck mine will be together by the weekend so I can try it out.

Also, any recommendation on a good way to make the canopy easy removable that wouldn't look too bad? I'd like to avoid screws if possible.
Old 05-24-2007, 01:10 AM
TexasRCFlyer

I was considering the Pulse PNP until I read on here about the lack of power from the 450 with that plane. I noticed the PNP version comes with a 22 amp ESC. At the top of this thread someone mentions a 22-15M brushless motor listed here http://www.glidescoperc.com/a2brouelmo.html
If I read the description right, it has a peak wattage of 21 amps. Could I safely get away with buying the PNP version and just replacing the 450 with this motor?
I know I could get the ARF and just put it together but I like the idea of not having to mount the control surfaces, mount servos, and install all the electronics. I think that would come out more expensive also rather than the $209 for the PNP and $41 for the 22-15 motor.
Any input is greatly appreciated. I am even researching other planes. I just want a fairly nice plane, somewhat scale, and aerobatic. I have a Cap 232 BP that I get my 3D kicks with, I now want something with nice clean aerobatics.
Thanks again,
Old 05-24-2007, 01:49 AM
Doc Austin
Team Extreme Flight

I noticed the PNP version comes with a 22 amp ESC.
If you want to upgrade your Mini Pulse PNP to 480 power later, you'll have to change the speed controller too.

I know I could get the ARF and just put it together but I like the idea of not having to mount the control surfaces, mount servos, and install all the electronics.
The control surfaces and control horns are already installed. All you do is bolt on the LG and tail, mount the servos, and hook up the pushrods that already have one end z bended. The hard part is mounting the wheel pants and cowling, but all that takes is a lttle patience.

I think that would come out more expensive also rather than the $209 for the PNP and $41 for the 22-15 motor.
If you buy an ARF and install the 40 amp ESC, the 480 motor and Hi Tech HS55 servos, you'll spend about $80 more, but I think it's very much well worth it. The difference in performance is startling.

I just want a fairly nice plane, somewhat scale, and aerobatic.
The Pulse on a 450 will give you that. It's an extremely nice little airplane on that motor, my my experience is with the more power 450 that you buy seperately. My understanding is that the PNP motor is less powerful.

Still, it's only a little more to build one with a 480, and that's becoming the standard sized engine for 40" span electric planes. The Brio 10 uses the 480 as one of it's engine options, and the new Funtana X and Extra 230 both use the 480. Also the Mini Ultra Stick is an insane little airplane when you hang a 480 on it, so I believe this motor is the way to go.
Old 05-24-2007, 03:40 AM
TexasRCFlyer

Wow, thanks for that reply. Thats why I love this forum, you had to spend almost 15-20 minutes typing that lengthy reply. I think I will do that. Just for one clarification, when I buy the ARF the control surfaces are already installed, or just on the PNP? I will go pick one up and Im sure I will enjoy it.

Thanks,
Brad
Old 05-24-2007, 04:22 AM
qmulus

How has the build quality been of these ARFs? I put together a Multiplex foamie (excellent quality for what it is) about a month ago, and built lots and lots of stick balsa and tissue planes 30 years ago, but this is my first ARF. Maybe I am just expecting too much, but I'm not terribly impressed with the build quality of my kit. LOTS of bubbles and wrinkles in the covering, especially the fuse. The wrinkles in the fuse were significant enough that I originally thought that the fuse had be crushed in shipping (no, it is just the covering). The base of the rudder assembly was built 10+ degrees off perpendicular. It looks like I will have to pull back the covering to fix that. There is about 1/4" piece of plastic glued longitudinally into the top of the battery at the back. It would make sense that it would be a grab to pull off the cover, which would have been a nice feature, but it is glued flush with the covering, so it just looks like a cut in the covering. There was a LOT of CA in the hinges. It took 1/2 hour of picking with an Exacto knife to get stuff out of there so that the control surfaces could move freely. The right aileron also has a 1/16 warp up at the wing root that hopefully can be straightened with a little heat.

Is this all pretty much par for the course for an ARF? Perhaps I am expecting too much, or maybe I just got a lemon?
Old 05-24-2007, 03:36 PM
Doc Austin
Team Extreme Flight

Originally Posted by qmulus View Post
How has the build quality been of these ARFs?
The best bet is to buy it from the LHS so you can inspect it before you shell out the money. There have been some incidents of problems, but out of the three four Pulses I've put together, they have all been perfect.

However, shipping damage does occur, so I wouldn't dare mail order it. Whatever you save is going to be eaten up in postage if you have to send a damaged product back.

I .....built lots of stick balsa and tissue planes 30 years ago, but this is my first ARF.
Nothing mass produced is going to be as good as what a real craftsman can put together with his own hands, but all things considered, today's ARF quality is pretty impressive. I've stopped building because it doesn't make sense anymore.

Is this all pretty much par for the course for an ARF? Perhaps I am expecting too much, or maybe I just got a lemon?
No, it sounds like you got a quitting time special. I'de send it back.
Old 05-24-2007, 04:15 PM
qmulus

Actually I did buy it at my LHS. I didn't look close enough to notice anything with all the parts in the bags. Considering the work that I put in to it already, I can't bring myself to take it back. It is also the only one they had, and I REALLY want to fly it this weekend. Anyway, the time it will take to fix the defects that are left is probably less than the time needed to take it back. Now that I know what kinds of things to look for, I will be more careful next time. Live and learn.
Old 05-25-2007, 08:54 PM
TexasRCFlyer

Another question about the pulse.
I live in Texas. I am flying to Northern Cali for a fly-in in Ukiah. I looked at shipping my planes but soon realized that crate shipping would be over $250 one way, not gonna happen. I have been looking at the pulse and like the way everything bolts on.
What I want to do is carry a Park 480, esc, etc... to California in my airline luggage. Once there, buy a Pulse ARF at the hobby shop, put it together and fly it while there for 2 weeks. Then take it apart, put it back in its original box and ship that box to Texas so I can have it at home. I know that I should loctite the bolts and all. While in Cali I will just keep a close eye on preflight then once in Texas, loctite everything.
For those of you with the pulse, is this a feasible option? I figured shipping would be substantially cheaper, (and only one way) to just put it back in its own box and own protection for shipping. I would take the motor and esc back out probably for weight reasons but leave the servos in.
I guess what I am asking is it feasible to take the wing and rudder/elevator back off and put back in the original packaging for shipping once it has been completely put together and flown?

Thanks
Old 05-25-2007, 09:08 PM
gsk11740
I'm outta here!

Another question about the pulse.
I live in Texas. I am flying to Northern Cali for a fly-in in Ukiah. I looked at shipping my planes but soon realized that crate shipping would be over $250 one way, not gonna happen. I have been looking at the pulse and like the way everything bolts on.
What I want to do is carry a Park 480, esc, etc... to California in my airline luggage. Once there, buy a Pulse ARF at the hobby shop, put it together and fly it while there for 2 weeks. Then take it apart, put it back in its original box and ship that box to Texas so I can have it at home. I know that I should loctite the bolts and all. While in Cali I will just keep a close eye on preflight then once in Texas, loctite everything.
For those of you with the pulse, is this a feasible option? I figured shipping would be substantially cheaper, (and only one way) to just put it back in its own box and own protection for shipping. I would take the motor and esc back out probably for weight reasons but leave the servos in.
I guess what I am asking is it feasible to take the wing and rudder/elevator back off and put back in the original packaging for shipping once it has been completely put together and flown?

Thanks
At one time, I took the 450 motor and ESC out of my Pulse and stuck in in the MUS to fly for a while before I finally bought a second motor to out in the Pulse. I took the Pulse apart just like you are wanting to do and it all fit back in the box with only minor "modifications" to the box so I wouldn't have to take the canopy off the fuse. I left the servos on and everything. Worked great.

On the loctite, I never used it on the Pulse. The nuts that hold the tail on are nylon self locking and the bolts for the wing need to come out occasionally. Never had any work loose.
Old 06-15-2007, 06:18 PM
qmulus

Where have you guys ended up with the CG? I'm having a heck of a time getting mine back even to the suggested location. Looks like I'm going to have to add weight to the tail, which I REALLY hate doing, but with the battery, ESC and RX moved as far back as possible, I am still a bit in front of the suggested CG if I leave the pants on.

BTW, I LOVE the way the plane flies with the Rimfire 35-30-950 and Master Airscrew 10x8 prop. I'm pulling 17 amps at full throttle (188 watts) with great power. I think that I may try a 10x7SF APC prop and perhaps even an 11x7 APC to see how those do.
Old 06-17-2007, 10:45 PM
thrawn150

Default Pulse PNP

I am still someone of a newbie, but I have been flying a GWS tiger moth (pico and 400) and a e-flite P-47. I have not mastered the P-47. I am thinking of getting the pulse because of its size and I have a spear ar6000 RX and I can use my Parkzone 3s 2200mah battery with it. Is this a good third plane or should I hold off?
Old 06-19-2007, 06:01 PM
qmulus

Originally Posted by thrawn150 View Post
I am still someone of a newbie, but I have been flying a GWS tiger moth (pico and 400) and a e-flite P-47. I have not mastered the P-47. I am thinking of getting the pulse because of its size and I have a spear ar6000 RX and I can use my Parkzone 3s 2200mah battery with it. Is this a good third plane or should I hold off?
IMO, the MPXT would be a great plane for you if you don't have orientation issues. Work those out on the slower planes. It is my second after a Multiplex Minimag trainer. Personally, I feel that the MPXT is actually an easier plane to fly than the trainer, as you don't fight it as much to do something other than straight and level flight.

If you do get one, I would recommend using nylon screws on the wing and landing gear. It will save you a lot of repairs to the fuse if you prang it. Don't ask me how I know that...
Old 06-22-2007, 09:42 PM
ORD2FRA

Here's a video of the Mini Pulse with a Park 480 motor installed:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...16074062601749

Here's the mount:

Old 06-23-2007, 01:29 AM
simibill
General Factotum

Lots of stabilizer flutter...
Old 06-24-2007, 02:40 AM
ronb

Questions, for a newbie -
. Several of you have mentioned flaperons, or spoilerons. Do you mix in elevator to compensate?
. I have 100% on high rate, on low rate I've taken it down to 70% on all three channels, sound like a good start? I've also added 20% expo on all three.
. I'll be using FMA's new CellPro 2100's. Any idea on how much flight time I should expect?
...Ron

Edit: sorry, just found the rates the manual suggests by measuring the throws. I gather everyone's agree's with this starting point?
Old 06-24-2007, 07:19 PM
qmulus

I've just tried flaperons (25%) and it REALLY slows the plane down on landing. Actually, I didn't care for it. I might try spoilerons just for fun, but just the normal setup seems fine to me.

With my CellPro 2100s I get 20+ minutes of fairly aggressive flying and still land with 3.4V+/cell with my Rimfire 35-30-950 and a 10x8 prop. YMMV.

FWIW, I have really been enjoying this plane. I haven't even bothered to take others to the field this week.

Quick Reply: E-Flite Mini Pulse XT

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.17456 seconds with 11 queries