First Plane Suggestions - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

First Plane Suggestions

Old 07-27-2013, 01:14 AM
Acamp

Default First Plane Suggestions

I have recently been interested with rc planes and I have decided to buy one. I am looking for a relatively slow flying airplane that will not be too big for my back yard which is about 1/3 to 2/3 of an acre. I have been interested by the Night Vapor but before purchasing, I would like to see what the pros suggest. Thank you.
Old 07-27-2013, 01:24 AM
kyleservicetech
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Acamp View Post
I have recently been interested with rc planes and I have decided to buy one. I am looking for a relatively slow flying airplane that will not be too big for my back yard which is about 1/3 to 2/3 of an acre. I have been interested by the Night Vapor but before purchasing, I would like to see what the pros suggest. Thank you.
This is a relatively slow flying model that you could fly in a half acre field.
(Flyzone Piper Super Cub EP RX-R 48 inch wing span, along with three 3S 1100Mah Lipo batteries.)

This is a reasonable size model that can be flown in a football field. I had some 10 year old kids flying it with a master slave transmitter setup with a trainer cord. One kid did awful, the second, barely OK, the third kid did pretty good.

That said, if you can at all manage, try to get help in learning to fly these RC models. Try to find a local RC club for assistance.

Sad to say, the lifespan of an RC model being piloted by an absolute newbie pilot is often measured in seconds.
Old 07-27-2013, 01:32 AM
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

The Night Vapor is probably too small and light to handle much, if any, wind. If you need micro, the micro Champ is popular, and I think there is a Hobbyzone Mini SuperCub. They'll do better outside than the night Vapor.
Old 07-27-2013, 02:09 AM
1geo1
George

If possible find a local club, there may be more than one- there's a reason for that.
After all this time I rejoined AMA and want to see my #'s on a wing- did it before without realizing that club belonged to a few certain few- things have changed ! ( they lost their field because of not being community member )
Go to a flying sight and ask questions- my guess is they will ask YOU first.
If not JOIN AMA and they will help YOU !
Old 07-27-2013, 02:22 AM
zoltron55

AMA & buy a champ can't go wrong with that combo. besides most club require ama membership
Old 07-27-2013, 02:45 AM
1geo1
George

And a really good magazine to boot- right ?
Old 07-27-2013, 11:09 AM
mclarkson
Super Contributor

The Night Vapor is a wonderful plane, but it will not tolerate ANY wind.

If you live in an area where you have plenty of days with winds under 10 MPH, a Champ is hard to beat.

If it's a little windier where you live, consider the Mini Super Cub or the Super Cub.
Old 07-27-2013, 04:46 PM
zoltron55

Originally Posted by 1geo1 View Post
And a really good magazine to boot- right ?
you got that right afew months back 1 month great article about landing & next month take offs. helped me look like I knew what I was doing
Old 07-27-2013, 06:34 PM
dahawk
Super Contributor

The Dynam Hawk Sky or Ares Gamma might be another option. i don't own either but have seen them fly. Not bad at all. Low cost of entry. Of course, the Champ is an iconic first small, high-wing plane.

-Hawk
Old 07-27-2013, 06:51 PM
BBCorvette18

get a flight simulator it will be the best bang for the buck to learn the sticks. Even a cheapo will work but a good simulator will have you flying when the weather is ty.

From there it will depend on the amount of money you want to spend on a plane. the Champ is a pretty solid starter plane if you have times with very little wind.
Old 07-27-2013, 07:01 PM
dereckbc
Super Contributor

IMHO the Night Vapor or any of the Vapor products are not a good choice for any outdoor flying as a puff a wind will carry them away.
Old 08-02-2013, 02:06 PM
Rockin Robbins
Super Contributor

My wind detector for flying my Vapor outside is spanish moss hanging from trees. This stuff is sensitive enough to detect wind you can't feel. If I see it move I don't fly it. The Vapor will stand about 2 mph winds but it's no fun to fly in it. With slack wind, the thing is magical! And in Florida just about every morning and evening is a flyable one. A Vapor outside is an experience not to be missed. You'll probably be well served with a full range transmitter.

Can you tell I love my Vapor?

I don't recommend it as a learn to fly plane though. The Vapor flies so uniquely that what you learn won't transfer too well to other airplanes. The Vapor, then, is more a special interest plane than an instruction airplane. I'd put it in the same category as a simulator. It will train your thumbs to react quickly in the correct direction with the sticks, but won't fly enough like another plane to give you any meaningful head start on flying the plane itself. Think of it (and a simulator) as a transmitter trainer.
Old 08-02-2013, 05:13 PM
dereckbc
Super Contributor

Well RR just bought my second plane a Park Zone Extra 300 BNF. Hopefully get a chance after dinner to fly it with one of the club Instructors on Buddy Box.
Old 08-06-2013, 12:13 AM
Rockin Robbins
Super Contributor

Wow! You're really doing well. Have fun with that plane!
Old 08-06-2013, 12:26 AM
dahawk
Super Contributor

Here's another I found tha looks pretty neat for a first plane; The Flyzone mini-switch: http://youtu.be/wylU50W-DHU

Two planes in one or as we say in Texas, a "two-fer"
Old 08-06-2013, 12:39 AM
dereckbc
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by dahawk View Post
Two planes in one or as we say in Texas, a "two-fer"
Well I am in TX, are you sure that was not a First Date?
Old 08-06-2013, 12:40 AM
fhhuber
Super Contributor

The original switch was overpriced... you pay for 2 planes and just get one with a spare canopy that lets you mount the wing differently.

Without looking at the mini if it is much higher priced than a similar size trainer with similar radio and power system then you'd probably be better off buying one RTF and then an extra ARF airframe.
Old 08-06-2013, 12:12 PM
dahawk
Super Contributor

True. There are so many low-cost options out there. Thinking that 2/3 of an acre is not much room, something hand launchable like a Champ or even the Dynam J3
Old 08-11-2013, 08:06 PM
Acamp

Default Thank you

Thank you everyone for helping me choose my first plane, I have chosen the Horizon Hobby Champ, and I am very happy with it. I have crashed several times on my first flight but I've gotten the hang of it. Although I need to replace my wing and tailwing.
Old 08-12-2013, 08:18 PM
Rockin Robbins
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Acamp View Post
Thank you everyone for helping me choose my first plane, I have chosen the Horizon Hobby Champ, and I am very happy with it. I have crashed several times on my first flight but I've gotten the hang of it. Although I need to replace my wing and tailwing.
Yeah, what else is new? You bought a plane with easy spare parts availability so none of that broken stuff is a really big deal. Life's great when you buy a great plane!
Old 08-13-2013, 02:14 AM
BBCorvette18

super glue will usually get ya by until you can get the replacement parts
Old 08-13-2013, 03:34 AM
fhhuber
Super Contributor

Careful... some parts may not be compatible with normal CA (Superglue)

You do not HAVE TO get AMA in order to get help from an AMA affiliated club. AMA has several introduction to model aviation programs. The clubs choose if they will participate in them or not.
Intro Pilot Program allows a couple of months of instruction with coverage by AMA insurance (the main issue is usually insurance and the club's lease)
Any AMA member can give an "Introductory flying session" to a beginner if the AMA member's plane is used. Then any damage done by the plane would have coverage under AMA insurance. (no direct protection for the student but AMA would be the "deep pockets" lawyers look for)