Battery Connector Of Choice - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Battery Connector Of Choice

Old 07-04-2013, 09:41 PM
dereckbc
Super Contributor

Default Battery Connector Of Choice

A Newb question here. My plane came equipped with EC3 connectors and finding batteries is a pain and expensive as they seem to be E-Flite. So I bought some spares, cut off the supplied connector, and installed EC3. Problem solved. Talking with other club members they say Dean Connectors are the most popular, but as I look I do not see many if even at all.

What do you guys do?
Old 07-04-2013, 10:02 PM
flydiver
Super Contributor

I use Deans because when I started Deans seemed to be the connector of choice, so I'm heavily invested. Dean's went after clone copies and many sources dried up. Now XT60 is taking over and would likely be my choice if I were starting out.

WHATEVER you choose you'll need to learn to solder.
Old 07-04-2013, 10:03 PM
Turner
Super Contributor

There seems to be a new thread on this every week or so. Whatever brand you mention there are loyal users and haters. I like the EC2, EC3, and EC5's just fine. They are small, easy to solder and require no heat shrink. The EC3's can be hard to disconnect but otherwise hard to fault. Many users here of Anderson Power Poles. They are a crimp on, which is great if you don't like to solder, easy to disconnect, but bigger in size.
Old 07-04-2013, 10:29 PM
BBCorvette18

learn to solder pick your connector and stock up. I use all deans connectors or T connectors as they are sometimes referred to as. They are easy to use and pretty cheap so I have a big supply of them and since my 10+ packs I already have are deans whenever I get new vehicles or batts I solder deans on em.

If you go out to an airfield or anywhere with rc things the Deans Connectors do seem to be what most use in my experiences
Old 07-04-2013, 11:07 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

I am a Deans / T connector person but got fed up cutting of HK's XT60 plugs .. to fit my own Deans ..

So now I use both Deans and XT60's ... I have adaptors I made up in my flight box ... allows me to use any in any model and also to connect any to my chargers.

Like guy above - I ended up with so many Deans models / batterys that I didn't want to spend all my time cutting and swapping to XT60's .... so I use both.

I don't like crimped ... I don't like bullet based connectors but use them on motor to ESC only. ...

Nigel
Old 07-05-2013, 12:09 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

I have changed over to XT60 connectors, they are great, easy to take apart and the Lipos from HK come with them already installed, I had problems with the Dean Connectors, they have a tension spring on them that sometimes gets bent, and will short out your lipo, I lost 2 lipos so far with dean connectors shorting out my lipos, that wont happen with the XT60 connectors and they are good for up to 60 Amps, Buy the XT60 connectors with the Wires already soldered on to them, its easier to solder wire to wire than trying to solder onto a connector and faster too Hope that helps, Chellie

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...5pcs_bag_.html

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...5pcs_bag_.html
Old 07-05-2013, 01:13 AM
solentlife
Super Contributor

One of the advantages of XT60 and believe me I am last person to extol the XT60 over Deans !! ... I have not found any clone / copy that does not work with others ....
I buy the small 5 pce packs from HK as fillers in the shipping spare ... but also larger cheaper packs of Ebay ... they all fit and work fine ... in fact apart from some being slight different colour - hard to tell apart.

XT60's though are not all easy to pull apart ... some have their moments !!

Deans ... shorting ? OK - I accept that the pegs have a spring tab ... but it would need to bend badly to short ...
When I see a tab bending - I put watchmakers screwdriver blade under back end of tab and then with pliers squeeze other end of tab to create a V as originally in it ... Only problem is once you start doing V's in the tabs - you have repeat quite often as it's now weak.

I read somewhere that original XT60 was by Deans as well ?

Out of all the Deans I have used .. the Hobby King ribbed are the worst ever ... slack fitting, unreliable. My best have been RCtimers and Chinqianguan supplied.

Nigel
Old 07-05-2013, 02:26 AM
kyleservicetech
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by dereckbc View Post
A Newb question here. My plane came equipped with EC3 connectors and finding batteries is a pain and expensive as they seem to be E-Flite. So I bought some spares, cut off the supplied connector, and installed EC3. Problem solved. Talking with other club members they say Dean Connectors are the most popular, but as I look I do not see many if even at all.

What do you guys do?
If you're flying the somewhat larger electric power systems, one good connector is the Anderson Power Pole connector. With the $39 crimper, the wires can be crimped in place in a few seconds. No soldering.

That said, IMHO, there is a higher quality connector on the market that even has better characteristics than the APP connectors. I've been using them for over 5 years now. It's interesting, the Alliedelectronics lists their connector rating at 45 Amps. If you drill down to the APP original supplier of their connectors, they rate them at 31 Amps.

Take a look:
Anderson Power Poles???
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64539
Old 07-05-2013, 04:18 AM
dereckbc
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by flydiver View Post
WHATEVER you choose you'll need to learn to solder.
Not a problem, started my career 34 years ago as a bench electronic technician, earned my engineering degree, proto-type, ham radio operator, and still have the skill.

Only problem is solder is not a very strong mechanical connection.
Old 07-05-2013, 04:23 AM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Not a problem, started my career 34 years ago as a bench electronic technician, earned my engineering degree, proto-type, ham radio operator, and still have the skill.

Only problem is solder is not a very strong mechanical connection.
Certainly seems to work for us though .... millions of models flying on soldered plugs.

Nigel
Old 07-05-2013, 04:31 AM
kyleservicetech
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
Certainly seems to work for us though .... millions of models flying on soldered plugs.

Nigel
Yup
We do have uncountable soldered connections that work just fine in the electronics field. Looking inside our radios, their circuit boards are full of soldered connections.

On the other hand, a soldered lead wire has the issue of the solder flowing into the strands during the soldering process. Any repeated flexing of that area of the soldered connection is certain to cause fatigue related fracture of that soldered joint. This is one reason that those soldered wires must be protected by heat shrink tubing, to eliminate flexing at that soldered joint. Think about your model airplane with a big gasoline engine up front. I personally measured vibration levels of over 25G's at the aileron servo location of a club members giant scale model. That model had a 100 cc twin cylinder gasser up front.

Many years ago the company I worked for got into big trouble with that issue, when those wires soldered to circuit boards broke off just while shipping the equipment on a truck.

And, most electric manufacturing companies that have done reliability studies of soldered versus crimped wire connections have found that the crimped connection is marginally more reliable.
Old 07-05-2013, 04:32 AM
dereckbc
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
I understand, but in the Aircraft, Auto, Boat, and NEC all forbid solder connections without mechanical reinforcement, and none today use it. Today's ireversible compression connectors are supperior in both mechanical strength and electrical resistance.
Old 07-05-2013, 04:39 AM
kyleservicetech
Super Contributor

I understand, but in the Aircraft, Auto, Boat, and NEC all forbid solder connections without mechanical reinforcement, and none today use it. Today's ireversible compression connectors are supperior in both mechanical strength and electrical resistance.
Yeah, those compression connection devices provide for a "Gas Tight" connection where the wires are actually forced into the terminals.
Old 07-06-2013, 03:15 AM
kyleservicetech
Super Contributor

Many years ago, we had another screwup where I worked. Seems some assembly guy had problems with stranded wire and screw terminals. So that guy simply dipped the stranded wire in a solder pot, and put same under the screw terminals.

Bad news! That solder in the stranded wire will "Cold Flow" under a screw terminal fitting, and will be completely loose in a few months or so. Yeah, I did tests on this.
Old 07-06-2013, 05:49 AM
dahawk
Super Contributor

There was actually a patent suit from Deans against HK several years ago. That's why the XT-60 was invented. I like the EX-60 but I also use EC3(E-flight) , and Deans. So I keep a supply of very short adaptor cables. My balance board is also setup for EC3 so I need the adaptors for charging.
Old 07-06-2013, 03:25 PM
road king 97
old hat

I have all deans because i dont think crimping is a great conection ,most use crimping because they tried soldering and failed rather than learn or OK! i will man up and say it they are lazy . lol I know i know there are plenty crimping their stuff with 60 dollar crimping tools and such but i solder every electrical connection i make , on my car and ac cords i fix and have had no failures yet. joe
Old 07-06-2013, 05:47 PM
hayofstacks
Super Contributor

I used to plug my hobby king batteries straight into my eflight plugs with out any adptar. they seem to use the same sized bullet connectors.
Old 07-06-2013, 08:08 PM
road king 97
old hat

Originally Posted by dahawk View Post
There was actually a patent suit from Deans against HK several years ago. That's why the XT-60 was invented. I like the EX-60 but I also use EC3(E-flight) , and Deans. So I keep a supply of very short adaptor cables. My balance board is also setup for EC3 so I need the adaptors for charging.
I think HK has alot more law suits and i have seen them pull planes they have copyed and got caught at. lol I hope one day they get caught and fined good so they stop making money off of other peoples desighns. joe
Old 07-06-2013, 08:35 PM
road king 97
old hat

I got the apprentice for my son and it had the blue plugs on it and the battery that came with it. I thought about changing it all over to deans so he could use my other deans lipo packs but i just solderd a blue plug to a deans for a adapter for my lipos . YES i was being lazy but he wanted a bomb drop and a extra wing with flaps plus a Kadet SR with a bomb drop that i was building for him also. A fellow flyer needed to use my adapter today to get one flight in before he had to go to work cuting grass so i was happy i made one. joe
Old 07-06-2013, 08:44 PM
kyleservicetech
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by road king 97 View Post
I have all deans because i dont think crimping is a great conection ,most use crimping because they tried soldering and failed rather than learn or OK! i will man up and say it they are lazy . lol I know i know there are plenty crimping their stuff with 60 dollar crimping tools and such but i solder every electrical connection i make , on my car and ac cords i fix and have had no failures yet. joe
One thing about crimped connections, you don't do them with a $7.00 crimper from Radio Shack. Improper crimping on electrical wiring can wind up with the wires not being properly compressed into the terminal. Or, with really the wrong tools, the wires can be over crimped, resulting in the individual strands being smashed flat, nearly cutting them off.

This is where the commercial duty crimping tools come in. These tools automatically do the correct crimp job, regardless of the operator doing the assembly.
If you've never priced the commercial duty crimping tools, be prepared for sticker shock. Those crimping tools can easily run over $500. Each. And, if they are air powered, if you have to ask the price, you can't afford it!

Soldering connections works just fine in most electrical work, provided the soldering connection is properly done. Again, it is not wise to try to solder a #12 gauge wire to a Deans connector with a cheap 25 watt Iron from Kmart. Or soldering servo wires with a 100 Watt iron that is not temperature regulated. IMHO, soldering any critical work with one of those 100 watt trigger operated soldering guns is not wise.

I've got a 100 watt Weller temperature regulated soldering iron that is able to solder to the Deans connector in one or two seconds.

And, given the choice between crimped connectors, and soldered connectors, most factories will go the crimped connector every time. With the proper $500 crimping tools, over all, the crimped connections are faster to assemble, plus they are more reliable.
Old 07-06-2013, 08:58 PM
road king 97
old hat

I wish i had 100 watt soldering gun but i bought a 50 watt and its barely what i need. I braze my landing gear with silver solder copper wire and a torch so the only thing i need the solder gun is for small conections. I will buy a bigger one soon after the sticker shock from updating my old charger wears off.lol joe
Old 07-06-2013, 10:29 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by dahawk View Post
As I understood it ... the XT60 was designed by Hextronic and never copyrighted ... to allow others to develop / manufacture as well.... unlike Deans who insisted on high price and copyright.

To try and issue Suit against HK would be extremely difficult as a Hong Kong based company ... no longer subject to British Colonial laws ...

Nigel
Old 07-07-2013, 02:08 AM
CNY_Dave

My only issue with deans is soldering a fat wire to a flat tab. Pain in da ...
Old 07-07-2013, 03:47 AM
kyleservicetech
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by CNY_Dave View Post
My only issue with deans is soldering a fat wire to a flat tab. Pain in da ...
LOL

Tail ?
Old 07-07-2013, 05:57 AM
hayofstacks
Super Contributor

I accidently welded my soldering iron between two wires soldering a deans connector onto a 40c 4000mah 3 cell. scared the living crap out of me, then I had to quickly cut the connector off to keep it from burning up.

normally I would agree that thebbattery needs a larger connector, but I planned on running it on my slowstick bipe with a 480 motor that should only pull a bit over 30 amps. big battery is for extended flight times and get the wing loading a bit higher

Quick Reply: Battery Connector Of Choice

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.10231 seconds with 15 queries