Ready to maiden my Fokker D-VII! - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

WWI Era Discuss all your favorite WWI warbirds here!

Ready to maiden my Fokker D-VII!

Old 07-31-2012, 10:45 PM
CNY_Dave

Default Ready to maiden my Fokker D-VII!

If the wind is low tomorrow AM I should get a chance to maiden my Fokker D-VII, needed lotsa little fixes, including repairing my DX5 (bypassing the crappy power switch with a good switch).

Not my first maiden or first re-maiden by any means, but that first flight of a plane always has a bit of build-up, doesn't it?

If I didn't screw anything up, only the landing should be the hard part, heh.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1666647

Old 08-01-2012, 01:35 AM
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

Looks beautiful! Good luck with the maiden.
Old 08-01-2012, 01:50 AM
wattman

Your plane really looks great , and yes goodluck with the maiden flight , and please post followup and video maybe .
Old 08-01-2012, 01:51 PM
startazz

I have to agree with the other comments as she really looks the part mate,i to would like to see some video if at all possible but if not a flight report will be just as good.
Old 08-01-2012, 03:20 PM
CNY_Dave

Only flaw during the maiden flights was the tail gear I rigged isn't quite right. Built one from scratch so I could attach it to the existing tail-dragger post, and it is waaaay too prone to ground-looping. Anything over a fast taxi and it's swapping-ends.

During my 3 takeoffs I was able to get around this by applying down-elevator and nailing the throttle, flying the tail almost instantly. It veered left pretty hard on takeoff all 3 times, I'll need more practice at my wider space before I tackle my narrower one.

I incurred some minor damage on my 3rd landing, had a bit of a hard landing from coming in a touch too slow and then goosing the throttle to slow the descent, it veered a bit, landed hard, and cartwheeled a bit. Pretty tough bird, the wing ends hit pretty hard and it bounced off the spinner, but I think the only real damage is the tail-dragger post and my homemade tail-wheeled popped neatly off. Now I can put on the purchased one much more easily, I don't have to figure out how to remove the dragger post!

I did bump the rudder putting it in the car, and 2 out of the 3 plastic hinges popped out of the Vstab- better that happens on the ground than in the air!

One of the wire wing struts popped out of it's clamp, I may have to re-engineer the clamps if that is a recurrent problem.

It flew well, climbed and flew better than scale on my 4S battery with a 13x8, the roll rate is indeed a bit slow, tried a roll with the rudder and I have no idea what happened, it rolled halfway smoothly then it snapped at least another full roll, and somehow reversed direction in a heartbeat. Wasn't a fluke, tried it again and same thing.

Tried a hammerhead and there was a fat load of coupling, not sure if it was roll or pitch.

It looped fine, of course, again with a bunch of coupling (roll), but not sure if it's the elevator deflection being a bit cocked or if it's just the prop wash on the tail.

The first two landings were a bit bouncy but not really rough, I just tried to come in a little too slow the last time and it didn't react well to my feeding in more power.

I think it needs a bit more right-thrust on the motor, and a bit more down-thrust, but since it's short and powerful it's obviously always going to flail about a bit due to the prop-wash hitting the tail.

It is obvious I need to get a set of beater wheels for this for pavement flying, the pavement will chew up the soft rubber tires fairly quickly otherwise.

BTW, I refuse to video a maiden! Too much like saying 'Hold my beer and watch this!"
Old 08-01-2012, 08:48 PM
wattman

Thanks for the maiden report , glad that it will fly again
Old 08-02-2012, 02:13 PM
CNY_Dave

What I need to do is get some 'give' in the gear, going to try to find 'training wheels' with some give (more meat).

Any suggestions out there?
Old 08-02-2012, 02:30 PM
dahawk
Super Contributor

Hey Dave,

The nice thing about the Fokker is that if you crash it, you simple call out the name "Mother" first ! LOL Looks great !

-Hawk
Old 08-08-2012, 04:40 PM
CNY_Dave

Things went much better today, key is get that nose down and hold it down 'till you think you are going to just smack it into the ground. If you let the speed drop it's really difficult to get it back into a good orientation.

Had one landing where I touched down at a good speed, nice and smooth, but went too long, running off the end of the runway is not a good thing at this spot, nailed the juice and took off, wind got it a bit and things were a bit sketchy for about 3 seconds, but practice hanging on the prop on my trainer proved invaluable, a series of very quick but short duration full-throw control movements saved it. Someone watching would have been 'Oh, Noooo, Ohhh, crap, oh, YEAH!'

3 batteries (only flew partial capacity each), 2-4 landings each battery, a few a bit rough but not terrible (in comparison). Store-bought tail wheel works much better but it still likes to ground-loop with a vengeance.

Grass would be much easier, I only have one grass strip 20 miles away though.

I put a set of 3-3/4 dubro non-air-filled wheels on it for practice, they work much better at eliminating bounce and giving some 'give' but they grip way too good. I might wrap them with some duct or electrical tape.

Someone donated some 4-3/4 super-cub wheels, they are styrofoam and would get ripped up as is but I think if I get some duct tape on them then wrap them with the all-rubber electrical tape I have (and maybe some more not-so-grippy tape on that) they'll work OK and forgive a screw-up while having some durability.

Tried some inverted flight, didn't have enough elevator authority and I was also having some trouble with orientation, more challenging on this than on my trainer.

I'm also rashing the bottoms of the lower wing-tips, not sure if I'm going to glue on a skid of some sort (slippery or a little grippy better, I wonder? If it has a little friction it would pull the plane straight) or tape it a bit or if I should build a small tail-wheel style skid or use a wire loop.
Old 08-08-2012, 05:09 PM
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

Sounds like fun. A little stressful fun, but fun just the same! I think I mentioned earlier about a modeler at our field who added a yaw gyro to control the ground looping in his beautifully done WWI plane. Also, I know on the main gear, toe-in or toe-out is very important. I forgot which one is desirable and which is dangerous. Maybe something else that might help? A little search looks like a little toe-in is more desireable, like on cars. Good luck!
Old 08-08-2012, 05:16 PM
CNY_Dave

Toe-in is likely better, there are some tail-gear geometry threads I have seen in the past I need to dig up also.
Old 08-10-2012, 03:08 PM
CNY_Dave

Progressing...

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67219
Old 08-14-2012, 05:22 PM
CNY_Dave

Well, when I saw that one landing-gear leg was repaired I should have expected to be repairing the other... looks like the gear assembly was welded at the factory, the break looks to be because of the heat-affected zone near the weld.

I'm getting better at landing, only thing that works is to fly it right onto the ground or get a few inches above the ground and cut power, if you try to float it in on ground effect, well, it's a bipe with a smaller wing on the bottom so there's not much ground effect, and when I come in high-alpha and goose the gas to slow the descent it pitches up but takes a long time to change the descent rate, I think it gets into a mode where the wings interfere with each other at a relatively low alpha and high-speed.

Probably needs a touch more downthrust, too.
Old 08-14-2012, 08:33 PM
CNY_Dave

Partial on-board vid

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=095gbpUT4fE&list=UUP-lj9jWMqE7A5-0pqiy0kQ&index=1&feature=plcp[/media]
Old 09-17-2012, 03:05 AM
CNY_Dave

Re-Re maiden tomorrow... fingers crossed!
Old 09-17-2012, 11:27 AM
degreen60
Flying Fish

Originally Posted by CNY_Dave View Post
Re-Re maiden tomorrow... fingers crossed!
I don't maiden my planes. I crash test them till they flunk the test.
Old 09-17-2012, 03:10 PM
CNY_Dave

I got to the 'field', way too foggy. Spent a little time installing a pivot-kit I made onto the dead-end sign that is in the way just enough to freak me out when I land (my overreaction to heading towards it caused my last crash), went to McD's for an egg mcmuffin and coffee, had that, got back, pivoted the signpost, had 2 flights and a couple slow passes, my 2 landings weren't too bad, a little bouncy and a little angled towards the side but the dave-brown 5-inch lite-flight wheels acted like tundra tires and soaked up my bounces and rolled right through the rough off the side of the road without a complaint.

I think before my CG was marginal (right at spec, whaddaya know), moved it forwards a bit and let the top wing have a bit of positive angle relative to the lower (opposite the manual), and added a better tailwheel- happy with all that, handles better and more stably, better on the ground but still loves to groundloop.

Brought a few batteries, called it one-and-done, I was too wrung out. My last biff was on the first day (but not the first flight) after my 1st biff.

Dave
Old 09-18-2012, 09:51 AM
hayofstacks
Super Contributor

Dave, beautiful looking plane, and thanks for the video.

I always wanted a bipe since I was a little kid.
Old 09-18-2012, 04:46 PM
CNY_Dave

I probably would have benefited a but from something a bit sporty in between this and my trainer, but that still wouldn't have schooled my in the ways of WWI bipes, they are a bit different.

It limits what I can do, being so draggy and such tiny (much smaller than scale!) ailerons, but it looks so cool taking off and cruising around.