Small area to fly - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

Small area to fly

Old 04-09-2012, 07:23 PM
w3_

Default Small area to fly

I am interested in electric gliders such as the HK bixler however my flight space is limited (about 2.5 soccer fields in size). Is this enough space or should I get a mini trainer like the mini sc or hz champ? I was hoping to get 4 channel so that i have a decent radio to grow with. Are there any 4ch parkflyers that can handle a little bit of wind?
Old 04-09-2012, 07:40 PM
kyleservicetech
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by w3_ View Post
I am interested in electric gliders such as the HK bixler however my flight space is limited (about 2.5 soccer fields in size). Is this enough space or should I get a mini trainer like the mini sc or hz champ? I was hoping to get 4 channel so that i have a decent radio to grow with. Are there any 4ch parkflyers that can handle a little bit of wind?
If you can find a glider with spoilers, or if you can add spoilers to an existing model, those spoilers will allow landing in a far smaller area.

With enough practice, and linear type spoilers, you can land these models in an area 50 feet by 50 feet consistantly.

When I was flying electric gliders in the mid 1980's, the field I flew from was about 1/4 the size of a standard USA football field. The models I flew ranged from the two meter electric conversion of the Gentle Lady to several 10 foot wingspan "Vikings". Launching, and landing these models in that 1/4 football field was never a problem.

What is a problem is a field with a lot of light posts and similar items.
Old 04-09-2012, 07:56 PM
w3_

I put an attachment with my field at the school near my house. It was the best photo I could get from google maps. Can I just fly above the trees to give me a larger flying radius and then come into the field to land? I wont be doing fpv.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2012-04-06 at 9.24.49 AM.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	158804  
Old 04-09-2012, 09:04 PM
dahawk
Super Contributor

W3, is it your goal to fly outside the trees along the fence line and then bring her down for landing on the soccer field? This is very do-able with the parkflyers out there. Not sure about the gliders though but don't see why not. Just make sure you set up your approach well with a good base leg to final. If it looks like you're too long to clear an obstruction on the other side of the field, just abort the landing and go around.

-Hawk
Old 04-09-2012, 09:27 PM
pmullen503
Super Contributor

A Bixler will feel confined in that small space. It can certainly be done once you get used to it. But it's a glider and as such not easy to "put 'er down" where you want it.

A plane with ailerons will be easier to maneuver in tight spaces. Only because you mentioned the Bixler; HK has several choices in the 700 to 1000mm range of powered gliders that should be good for small fields.

A conventional trainer might be a better place to start.

I'd recommend you start with a 6ch radio if possible. You won't need it right away but you will soon and you can do a lot with it.
Old 04-09-2012, 11:55 PM
w3_

how would this j3 cub work:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._Cub_RTF_.html

or this small cessna 182 (6ch):

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ting_RTF_.html

Any one know how much wind they can handle? I like the cessna...
Old 04-10-2012, 12:18 AM
dahawk
Super Contributor

W3
Either of your choices will work fine for your field. I have the HZ cub and the Airfield Cessna 182. Check the shipping charges from HK. Also, if you're planning on grass field take offs, you may have to mod the wheels to larger 2.5 in dubro's. I had to do this on both of my planes. On the Cessna, it takes away the good looking scale wheel pants. No big deal .

You'll soon find out it's not a beauty contest. Just saying.

Get up in the air !

Last edited by dahawk; 04-10-2012 at 12:45 AM.
Old 04-10-2012, 01:10 AM
w3_

I just found this small bixler with a foldable prop:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=16894

What is a good setup for this (motor, battery)? I wuz thinking 3 cell. Can it handle moderate winds?
Old 04-10-2012, 02:00 AM
pmullen503
Super Contributor

Of the three planes you cite, I would go for the glider or the 182. The cub looks fragile to me, lotsa of plastic parts to break. Read the reviews and discussion of each.

If you have a hobby store or club nearby you should check with them. It might make sense to buy locally from a place you can get replacement parts. Trainers often need them! A local club may have trainers and pilots to instruct you.

Buying ARF's over the Internet is a bit of a crap shoot. Most arrive with no issues but there are plenty of horror stories. Even if a company has a good return policy, the shipping cost can make it not worth it. Often they contain poor quality components. If you are up to it or know someone who is, consider buying the kit versions and install your own electronics. You'll end up with a better plane for not much more cash.
Old 04-10-2012, 05:39 AM
hayofstacks
Super Contributor

Buy a slow stick or similar model. My slow stick is tough as nails and only cost $25 to replace the entire kit. Start off with a 4mm motor shaft and a couple good apc props, and it will be hard to break a prop or bend your shaft unless you run it straight into the ground.

I run the heads up rc power up 450 slow fly, a 1800 3 cell and 2 small servo's with a $100 dx61 and 10 dollar spectrum receiver, your in the air for right near $100, plus controller. Buy a dx6I used, but in good shape for right around $100, and you have a 6 channel radio, flying plane, and a motor to grow with for about $200. If you want more then the 6 channel radio, sell it for $100, buy a dx7 or 8.

Or start out with a cheap fm 6 channel radio to save some money.
Old 04-11-2012, 01:07 AM
mred
Super Contributor

If you are looking to buy your own radio, then you might consider getting one of the older 72MHz models on e-bay that are pretty cheap. They are still good radios and there is nothing wrong with them.

As for flying a glider in that small area, sure you can, if it has spoilers on it. If not, then it is going to be hard to land in that area. If you are just starting out, I would get a Slow Stick and have a ball. They are easy to fly and easy to repair. Replacement parts are pretty cheap too. Radical R/C has them with all the hop up parts for this bird and you can do quite a bit with it and have a ball even after you learn how to fly. Stock it is a good trainer, but put some add-on parts on it and it can become quite a few different things. I still fly one and love mine.

As for a starter radio, anything like a 4 channel and up is fine. The more channels the higher the cost. Also the bigger radios have a computer in them that allows you to do a lot of different things. I would say get a cheap 4 channel for starters and then start looking for a good radio later. The most important thing you want to look at is the computer section and what it is able to do. Don't get in a hurry to get that second radio and you can save your money while flying that 4 channel and getting to know what the different radios have to offer. You can download most manuals from the internet and this will give you a chance to see what each offers. You will find that the bigger radios beat the daylights out of the smaller radios as to the programing available with them.

Look at the Airtronics SD-10G manual and you will get a good idea of what a good computer looks like and it will help you decide what radio to buy. It will have more programing then what you will need at first, but later when you grow into it, you will be glad you got something like that. You can look at that manual and get a very good idea of just what that computer is for and what it can do for you. Don't just rush out and buy the first radio that someone tells you to buy, rather look at what is available and find out what YOU want out of a radio. Just because a few people have the DX-6i radio and they say it is great doesn't mean it will be what you will want or need. If you do buy one and find out later you need something better, then you will be out buying another radio again and spending more money. It's cheaper just to take a good look at what is out there and then decide what fits YOUR needs the best.

If you have any more questions, don't be afraid to ask. Someone will answer then.

Ed
Old 04-24-2012, 08:21 AM
AEAJR
Community Moderator

It is always best to post a link so people know what plane you are talking about.

Bixler
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=16542

When people say glider, the Bixler is not typically what they are thinking about. This is very similar to a Multiplex Easy Star, but it has ailerons.

I could easily fly the Bixler in that space. Yes you should get it above the tree line to get out of the turbulence that comes from the wind blowing across the trees. And you should have no trouble landing it.

Of course this all depends on your flying skills.

If you have a computer radio you can use the ailerons as spoilerons to help you land in a smaller space.
Old 05-20-2012, 12:34 AM
artesina

yOU KNOW THIS ONE
Merlin
Skysurfer?
They are ok for my request (merlin have alieron but skysurfer I don't know)
If it is the same, wich mkodel have more resistance to crasch and possibility to have spare parts?
They work in small place but they are very difficult to fly?
They can fly with wind?
THxp.s:I'd like the model on hhobbyking but if I have proble with some parts, very difficult to have that in short time on europe ....