Northrop Gamma - Page 3 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

ParkFlyers Talk about all backyard and parkflyer aircraft here

Northrop Gamma

Old 06-08-2011, 01:07 AM
winggunner46

Originally Posted by CHELLIE View Post
Wow That looks like a very nice plane can I be the first one to maiden it LOL, Take care and have fun, Chellie
Quotes from book, don't you just love them. Here's one U can use when you get really worked up.

"Get thee from my sight
May yee die alone in the desert
May the sands drink your blood
The ravens pick your flesh and
The Jackels scatter your bones
Eye for Eye, tooth for tooth
Blood for Blood"
Old 06-09-2011, 04:29 PM
Kmot

Uhhh........ what??
Old 06-11-2011, 06:32 AM
Kmot

The wheel pants got busted up pretty good when the plane hit the runway. I checked into getting replacements and it would cost me $22 for a set. I decided to try repairing the broken ones first.

Here is what was left, and I have already glued back one of the plywood mounts:

I applied tape to all the splits to try to hold them together while I used ABS cement. Didn't work.

So instead I held the broken parts tight at the splits/cracks and used CA glue and kicker.

I used some card stock to make the fairings and then CA glued them into place.

I then mixed up some thinned 30 minute epoxy and brushed it on both sides of the card stock to stiffen it.

But the epoxy was old, and no longer any good, even though they were sealed bottles. It would not cure. So I used denatured alcohol to wipe it all off and and did it again with some good Z-poxy.

That worked. It stiffened up the card stock to the same level as the thin ABS plastic. I then sanded the edges level to each other.

Next I will use some putty to level out the edges along the breaks. Then a paint job and they should be ready to go.
Old 06-11-2011, 10:43 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Bummer on the hard landing, but its still in one piece Yea, never do a maiden on a windy day, you have enough to contend with a maiden flight, with out the wind being another issue, Glads its just a flesh wound Take care, Chellie

use some automotive bondo to smooth out the repaired edges, just my 2 cents worth
Old 06-11-2011, 04:14 PM
spad

Originally Posted by winggunner46 View Post
Quotes from book, don't you just love them. Here's one U can use when you get really worked up.

"Get thee from my sight
May yee die alone in the desert
May the sands drink your blood
The ravens pick your flesh and
The Jackels scatter your bones
Eye for Eye, tooth for tooth
Blood for Blood"
I think he meant it for the other poster.
Old 06-11-2011, 05:25 PM
Kmot

Originally Posted by CHELLIE View Post
Yea, never do a maiden on a windy day, you have enough to contend with a maiden flight, with out the wind being another issue,
It was actually the second maiden flight of the day. Just prior, I had maidened my World Models "Paulistinha P-56". I guess I pushed my luck, lol.

Normally, the wind does not bother me. It didn't bother me either with the Gamma. It was just weird how it got slammed down so violently all of a sudden. Too bad it wasn't caught on the camera footage.
Old 06-12-2011, 12:34 AM
Kmot

I applied a coat of putty, let it dry, and sanded it. Then I did it again. This got the pants to an acceptable condition. Next I painted them with primer and let it dry for a hour or so. Then I sprayed aluminum color paint on the pants. They are drying now.

They look okay, certainly better than they did!

I will be happy with them. Now I need to fix the cowl. After that I can go flying again.

First application of putty:

Second application of putty:

Sanded smooth:

Primer:

Color coat:

Old 06-12-2011, 12:43 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Great Repair Kmot , looks super, as good as I could have done Myself JK, Take care and have fun, Chellie
Old 06-12-2011, 12:52 AM
enemyace19
Beware the hun in the sun

Looks good to me!
Old 06-12-2011, 02:03 AM
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

Good as new! Waiting for the vid of the re-maiden! (But plz, don't do anything rash on our account!) That's a beautiful bird. One of many that I'd like in my hangar if my wallet was much, much deeper.
Old 06-12-2011, 05:04 AM
Kmot

Thanks folks!

The neat thing is I saved $22 bucks, and didn't have to spend a penny on materials because I already had everything I used on hand!
Old 06-12-2011, 10:00 PM
Kmot

The paint was good and dry this morning. So I put the red pinstripe on the wheel pants and re-attached them to the plane. Then I had to fiddle to get the cowl lock ring removed. Once it was off I had to fiddle some more to try to get the ring lined up properly so that I could re-glue it into the cowl. I got pretty close. Close enough for gub'mint work.

So, she is ready to fly again.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	SnapShot(1).jpg
Views:	82
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	149436  
Old 06-12-2011, 10:02 PM
enemyace19
Beware the hun in the sun

Nice!
Old 06-12-2011, 11:32 PM
spad

Beautiful! Now, I need a pirep cuz I've got my eye on this one.
Old 06-13-2011, 12:24 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Beautiful Repair Now, Quit Brakeing your Nice Toys LOL JK, Take care and have fun, Chellie
Old 06-14-2011, 12:58 AM
dkrhardy

Looks VERY nice! But, Jeez, for $22 is it worth the time?
Old 06-14-2011, 02:50 AM
spad

Originally Posted by dkrhardy View Post
Say, isn't that where the women's prison is located?
Old 06-14-2011, 09:47 PM
Kmot

Originally Posted by dkrhardy View Post
When you are retired, and on a fixed income that is barely adequate to cover your bills, yes it is definitely worth the time to save $22 bucks!

And there is also the challenge, "can I do it?"
Old 06-14-2011, 09:58 PM
Kmot

Default PIREP

Took the Gamma out for a re-maiden.

Wind was blowing 90 directly across the runway. The landing gear that got bent last week, and then bent back into place, had a severe toe problem causing the aircraft to turn left. I could not even taxi it straight until I turned on high rates. So these two conditions made the takeoff a little difficult.

But we got airborne, on high rates. Much too squirrelly on high rates so I switched to low. After one circuit I was thinking that this airplane is a real handful! I took her up high and let go of the sticks to see what she would do. She went into a 45 dive, turning to starboard!

I fumbled around trying to find the trim buttons (I hate these digital trims!!) and after applying full up trim (on low rates) she flew better, but not level. I was able to trim out the rolling moment. But she was flyable like this and I just had to hold a little up elevator. I flew a couple more circuits, made those low passes over the runway I tried last week until the wind slammer her into the runway, and then came in for a landing. I was looking pretty good until I got blown by the crosswind over the edge of the runway. I tried to correct with rudder and she tip stalled at about 2' AGL.

I broke out a small piece of the wheel pant when it got punctured by the floppy landing gear wire. And the cowl lock ring broke out again. Minor stuff.

I will reset my flying surfaces, fix the boo-boo's and be ready to fly again!
Old 06-14-2011, 11:57 PM
Kmot

Here is a video. I tried the head strap mount for my GoPro camera. Not too impressive. But when you don't have anyone around who can work a regular camcorder it's better than nothing.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVY4ZHbpXp4[/media]
Old 06-15-2011, 12:49 AM
spad

This reminds me of my struggles with the Maxford H-1, which I finally abandoned.
Old 06-15-2011, 01:48 AM
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

Sorry to hear it didn't go too great. Maybe needs CG finesse and some thrust angle adjustment? Well, there's always the challenge and hopefully in the end, the satisfaction of getting her to fly right.
Old 06-15-2011, 06:54 PM
Kmot

I would not say it went bad. I was pretty happy with the overall flight, actually. Just upset with my landing. The instability can be adjusted out, I am confident of that. You gotta admit, those passes over the runway looked pretty neat.
Old 06-16-2011, 12:11 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Put yourself closer to the runway, make some low slow passes to get the feel for the landing speed and flight charistics of your plane during landing, thats what most modelers dont do on a maiden, they just want to fly, but they dont get the feel for the landing speed or flight Charistics of there plane for a landing, and a rough landing will always happen, Been there done that, now I trim my plane out on a maiden and make low slow passes to see how my planes going to handel when i need to land it, and adjust the landing speed as needed, hope that helps, Chellie

Last edited by CHELLIE; 06-16-2011 at 10:10 PM.
Old 06-16-2011, 12:36 AM
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

Chellie, aren't you supposed to try the slow stuff way up high on the maiden? Hence the new nose-art on the new cowling on my Corsair, "3 Mistakes High". (Well, OK, that was a stunt I tried to pull way too low, but you know what I mean!)

Quick Reply: Northrop Gamma

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.10396 seconds with 16 queries