Yardbird RC YB-22 Electric Park Jet - Page 6 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Aircraft Reviews Member based Reviews on ARF's and Kits Open for Business!

Yardbird RC YB-22 Electric Park Jet

Old 03-16-2009, 01:37 AM
  #126  
max2112
Super Contributor
Thread Starter
 
max2112's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Huntsville, AL
Posts: 1,550
Default

Originally Posted by Angler-Hi View Post
JOHN!!!! I thought we talked about this man. I'm not selling her to you....She's YOURS!!

Mike
Yeah, we talked about it. But I didn't want to take advantage of your generosity without offering to pay first.

Either way, I already owe you big time!
max2112 is offline  
Old 03-16-2009, 01:52 AM
  #127  
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor
 
Angler-Hi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Ft Hood, Tx
Posts: 4,137
Default

No worries at all friend.
Angler-Hi is offline  
Old 06-23-2009, 04:19 AM
  #128  
sixnone
New Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1
Default Yardbirds

Everything is spot on with Yardbirds. I've ordered a few things and you can guarantee that Rick will be in touch and on top of things. Cant wait to try out a new park jet, just have to finish the ones sitting here first...or maybe not! See you soon Yardbird f-22!

Thanks Rick!
sixnone is offline  
Old 07-11-2009, 04:15 AM
  #129  
budkeywest
Member
 
budkeywest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Orlando, Florida
Posts: 61
Default Love it!

I have had my YB-22 since January 2009. It was my first RC build other than my slowstick. A buddy helped me put it together and it came out GREAT! I bought and used all the recommended gear from Yardbird (Servos, motor, esc, prop, battery). I am using a Spectrum DX7 with an AR6000. I get about 6 minutes of great flight time.

I couldn't figure out the plastic canopy, so I gave it to my buddy and just used the foam piece.

On my second flight I ran out of juice and had to dump it on the asphalt instead of the grass and rashed the bottom out a bit. But, a few well placed coffee stir sticks glued to the bottom points of contact I now have a better landing surface. I also had to put a flat piece of carbon just in front of the battery compartment lid on the fuse. That area cracked a bit and I wanted to beef it up a bit.

I fly it every time I'm at the field and after work out my backyard. After the first dozen or so flights you will get so used to this bird you can drop it on a dime...or catch it (I've only caught it twice...quite a hit at the field).

After the maiden I deduced that I could not see this baby very well all black. So...being my first build and first semi paint job...I used some yellow stick decals with the air force symbol on the bottom of the wings and painted the rudders a bright orangish-red. NOW I can see this bad boy everywhere! I even added my signature eyeballs!

Bottom line....I LOVE THIS PLANE! Easy build and a VERY fun plane to fly!

Bud
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1049.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	171.8 KB
ID:	105065   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1018.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	105066   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1016.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	106.0 KB
ID:	105067   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0703.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	170.0 KB
ID:	105068   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bud F-22 1.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	233.4 KB
ID:	105156  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Bud F-22 2.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	172.9 KB
ID:	105157  

Last edited by budkeywest; 07-12-2009 at 07:40 PM. Reason: add more photos
budkeywest is offline  
Old 07-12-2009, 03:37 PM
  #130  
max2112
Super Contributor
Thread Starter
 
max2112's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Huntsville, AL
Posts: 1,550
Default

Thanks for chiming in, Bud!

I like the two different day-glo colors on the tailfeathers. It seems like that would help a lot with orientation.
The latest modification I did to mine was similar to yours. I epoxied zip ties to the friction zones so I can lan on asphalt.

Cheers,
John
max2112 is offline  
Old 11-19-2009, 03:30 PM
  #131  
sentrymcc
New Member
 
sentrymcc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 3
Default Some yb22 questions

Greetings all -

I am very new to this sport, have logged several hours on my Slow Stick and have flown the FMS simulator model of the YB22 dozens of times. As a winter project I am thinking of the YB22 or the YB18, either of which will be my first pusher park jet.

I plan on going with one of the combos so that I have the recommended gear right out of the gate.

Would it be a good idea to buy some extra foam for repairs, and if so, any recommendations on where to get said foam in the right thickness and color?

Do you need to use a special prop for pusher jets, or simply use a regular prop mounted so that it pushes the air instead of pulls?

I find the YB22 probably the smoothest model I have flown in the FMS simulator, can anyone tell me if sim model is a close replica in flight characteristics to the real thing?

I use expo in the FMS as I am still learning, would it be a good idea to program some expo into my DX6i radio when I fly the real thing?

I'm sure I will have many more questions before this is over, but any help is always welcome.

Congratulations to Yardbird RC, from what I have read and seen, I am excited to get set up with one of your excellent models.

Best regards,

Scott
sentrymcc is offline  
Old 11-19-2009, 04:24 PM
  #132  
max2112
Super Contributor
Thread Starter
 
max2112's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Huntsville, AL
Posts: 1,550
Default

Originally Posted by sentrymcc View Post
Greetings all -

I am very new to this sport, have logged several hours on my Slow Stick and have flown the FMS simulator model of the YB22 dozens of times. As a winter project I am thinking of the YB22 or the YB18, either of which will be my first pusher park jet.

I plan on going with one of the combos so that I have the recommended gear right out of the gate.

Would it be a good idea to buy some extra foam for repairs, and if so, any recommendations on where to get said foam in the right thickness and color?

Do you need to use a special prop for pusher jets, or simply use a regular prop mounted so that it pushes the air instead of pulls?

I find the YB22 probably the smoothest model I have flown in the FMS simulator, can anyone tell me if sim model is a close replica in flight characteristics to the real thing?

I use expo in the FMS as I am still learning, would it be a good idea to program some expo into my DX6i radio when I fly the real thing?

I'm sure I will have many more questions before this is over, but any help is always welcome.

Congratulations to Yardbird RC, from what I have read and seen, I am excited to get set up with one of your excellent models.

Best regards,

Scott
Scott,
First of all: WELCOME to WattFlyer!!! It's always great to see new faces. Lots of great questions, let me address a few...

1. I would go with the F-22. The F-18 looks better but the F-22 has a wider envelope of performance. It behaves better for me at slower speeds.
2. You don't need a special prop. Just make sure that the numbers (size/pitch) are facing in the direction the aircraft will travel.
3. I guess any 3 mm foam board would work. I'm not sure what options are available to you where you're at. But I did lay out all of the pieces before assembly and traced a template on regular poster board.
4. I wouldn't worry too much about exponential for these planes. They have always handled great w/out for me.

I hope this helps! Please keep us posted on which bird you choose and how it turns out!
John
max2112 is offline  
Old 11-19-2009, 05:20 PM
  #133  
sentrymcc
New Member
 
sentrymcc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 3
Default

Thanks so much John, great tips. I will go with the F22 and as my skills grow better go with the F18, I want to build one and do it up in Canadian CF-18 colors from 441 Tactical Fighter Sqn in honor of three pilots I served with who lost their lives in the line of duty.

Is the kit made of Depron foam? I fully intend to trace out the kit to allow me to make replacement parts. I can get Depron and pretty much any other type of foam from the US, here where I am I am limited to Elmer's foam board or 1/2" Pink foam from Home Depot which both work well for other foamies like the Yak55 and Extra300, but I think for something more high performance I should probably have some extra Depron on hand?

When I do make my purchase I will keep everyone advised, maybe even do a build blog which I have not done before.

May your safe landings equal your safe takeoffs!

Cheers,

Scott

Originally Posted by max2112 View Post
Scott,
First of all: WELCOME to WattFlyer!!! It's always great to see new faces. Lots of great questions, let me address a few...

1. I would go with the F-22. The F-18 looks better but the F-22 has a wider envelope of performance. It behaves better for me at slower speeds.
2. You don't need a special prop. Just make sure that the numbers (size/pitch) are facing in the direction the aircraft will travel.
3. I guess any 3 mm foam board would work. I'm not sure what options are available to you where you're at. But I did lay out all of the pieces before assembly and traced a template on regular poster board.
4. I wouldn't worry too much about exponential for these planes. They have always handled great w/out for me.

I hope this helps! Please keep us posted on which bird you choose and how it turns out!
John
sentrymcc is offline  
Old 11-19-2009, 08:19 PM
  #134  
Bluebird
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 64
Default

Hi Scott, IMO please get some help from an experienced R/C pilot to help w/ first flight trimming if possible. GOOD syms help but the small sillouette and 'go where you point it' flight characteristics of the Yardbirds are much different than the SlowStik. Rick's painting the bottom of some of his kits a contrasting color now. A very good thing to help w/ orientation. Once trimmed, these planes have an amazing speed envelope and I think you'll do fine. Very nice quality kits of excellent flying models! My regards to you for Honoring your fallen comrades.
Bluebird is offline  
Old 11-19-2009, 08:52 PM
  #135  
sentrymcc
New Member
 
sentrymcc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 3
Default

Thanks Bluebird, I am still a huge sponge for any help anyone can provide. I will be doing lots of other flying before getting the F22, whenever the damp weather here on the West Coast cooperates. I was also thinking of putting some contrasting tape or paint on it, I know this might not be appropriate, but a couple big red maple leaves like on the Canadian Flag help on my Slow Stick, so I might do the same here.

Appreciate the kind words about my fallen comrades as well, thought it would be an appropriate tribute.

Regards and thanks,

Scott
Originally Posted by Bluebird View Post
Hi Scott, IMO please get some help from an experienced R/C pilot to help w/ first flight trimming if possible. GOOD syms help but the small sillouette and 'go where you point it' flight characteristics of the Yardbirds are much different than the SlowStik. Rick's painting the bottom of some of his kits a contrasting color now. A very good thing to help w/ orientation. Once trimmed, these planes have an amazing speed envelope and I think you'll do fine. Very nice quality kits of excellent flying models! My regards to you for Honoring your fallen comrades.
sentrymcc is offline  
Old 03-17-2011, 09:22 PM
  #136  
max2112
Super Contributor
Thread Starter
 
max2112's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Huntsville, AL
Posts: 1,550
Default

Well gang, it's been a year and some change since my last post here and the F-22 has remained my "Ole reliable."

She doesn't quite go to the field with me every time now, but I still fly her about twice a month.

Here are some pics from last Saturday.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0003.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	176.8 KB
ID:	144879   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0008.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	21.0 KB
ID:	144880  
max2112 is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Angler-Hi
Pusher Park Jets
4
09-28-2008 09:05 PM
rdr4evr69
Airplanes - Electric For Sale & WTB
28
09-02-2008 10:20 PM
Angler-Hi
Foamies
24
09-01-2008 10:23 PM
ggunners
Flight Simulators
3
02-27-2008 04:08 PM
ggunners
Flight Simulators
7
09-12-2007 06:46 PM

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Quick Reply: Yardbird RC YB-22 Electric Park Jet


Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.11878 seconds with 24 queries