Lightweight EDF jet pilot busts - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Electric Ducted Fan Jets Discuss electric ducted fan jets here including setup tips, power systems, flying techniques, etc.

Lightweight EDF jet pilot busts

Old 06-10-2008, 08:38 AM
smudger67

Default Lightweight EDF jet pilot busts

If you are looking for a jet jockey for your EDF fighter try this link:-
http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Petes-Pilots They are very light and made in several sizes .Dimensions are on the site just follow the links
Old 06-10-2008, 07:19 PM
Pancake

Originally Posted by smudger67 View Post
If you are looking for a jet jockey for your EDF fighter try this link:-
http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Petes-Pilots They are very light and made in several sizes .Dimensions are on the site just follow the links
Those are some nice pilots!

The only thing I'd like to see is more that look like "in action", rather than looking like they were modelled from pilots on the ground...
At least the jet ones look like they're in flight...

That, and having a couple different ones for each "pilot type"... you know, so you can have a pilot and co-pilot/RIO in a slightly different position...

Other than the wish-list, they look great!

I'll have to do a currency conversion to see what it will cost me with shipping....

Thanks for the link!
Old 06-11-2008, 10:47 AM
smudger67

Smile

Originally Posted by Pancake View Post
Those are some nice pilots!

The only thing I'd like to see is more that look like "in action", rather than looking like they were modelled from pilots on the ground...
At least the jet ones look like they're in flight...

That, and having a couple different ones for each "pilot type"... you know, so you can have a pilot and co-pilot/RIO in a slightly different position...

Other than the wish-list, they look great!

I'll have to do a currency conversion to see what it will cost me with shipping....

Thanks for the link!
I take your point regarding the different types and more action .However to be realistic I have to confine my efforts to what will sell .
ARTF's (the most popular format)these days often do not have room for a full pilot so busts are the most popular body lengths.
It is quite easy to modify a pilot with an epoxy putty (Milliput or Green Stuff are two available in the UK) or a polymer modified clay such as Sculpey available in the US.If you cut the head off with a razor saw,you can turn it a bit to give a sideways glance then re-stick with CA . Helmets etc. can be re-modelled to a different design with the aforementioned materials.Even arms and extra body length can be added. I have even turned male pilots into female ones by this method !!.

Just some boring stats to show what a problem covering the pilot spectrum really is :- Take 18 scales (1/3 to 1/20) multiply by number of pilot types say 14 (Jet-Russian,US,British. Glider, WW1-US,British,German, WW2-US,British,German,Japanese, Vintage, Heli, Sports,)
This gives us 252 distinct pilot types .Or 504 if we have two of each type Or 1008 if we have half bodies as well ,and 2016 if we have full bodies!!
And we haven't even mentioned French, Italians,Indian ,Chinese, Marines, Heli rescue, Police, Skydivers,Speedboat, Sailboat , Steam locos etc. etc. etc.
Anyway good luck with your search I'll be endevouring to add more types as time goes by
Old 06-14-2008, 02:29 AM
BOOMER52
Pilots by BOOMER52

I happen to inhabit the RCGroups Pusher Prop Jet forums most often but I do drop in here every once in awhile. I on occasion provide a few pilots to RC'ers. They're sculpted, molded, hand cast resin shells. Weight approx. 3-4 grams at most. My most popular bust is a 1/12th scale 60's/70's era military pilot. I have them in both a right looker and left looker.

Here's a pic...

BOOMER52
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Boomer52Maverick.jpg
Views:	446
Size:	154.7 KB
ID:	69196  
Old 06-17-2008, 11:40 AM
smudger67

Originally Posted by BOOMER52 View Post
I happen to inhabit the RCGroups Pusher Prop Jet forums most often but I do drop in here every once in awhile. I on occasion provide a few pilots to RC'ers. They're sculpted, molded, hand cast resin shells. Weight approx. 3-4 grams at most. My most popular bust is a 1/12th scale 60's/70's era military pilot. I have them in both a right looker and left looker.

Here's a pic...

BOOMER52
Sounds like you make them in a similar way to me -polyurethane resin maybe?. Do you foam them or are the shells left hollow ? I like your detail you've done a good job with the oxygen pipe, these can be tricky .I presume you sell them unpainted ?
Old 06-17-2008, 10:08 PM
BOOMER52
Pilots by BOOMER52

Originally Posted by smudger67 View Post
Sounds like you make them in a similar way to me -polyurethane resin maybe?. Do you foam them or are the shells left hollow ? I like your detail you've done a good job with the oxygen pipe, these can be tricky .I presume you sell them unpainted ?
smudger67,

I slosh cast Alumilite White Ultralite resin. I've never bothered to find out just what type of plastic resin it is. I do leave the shells hollow and have had no complaints with regards to shell integrity.

Here's my top secret technique for the O2 hose... I roll a noodle of Sculpey the diameter desired. Then I take an ordinary hair comb and do a final draw roll of the noodle with comb's teeth using just the right amount of pressure to give you the segmented look of a corrugated hose. Harder to describe than do. It takes a bit of practice but it really is quite simple. I then bend the noodle to shape... bake and lastly attach with a dab of glue.

The majority of my sales were for unpainted busts... but I'm now getting into offering painted pilots. The summer heat has forced a seasonal shutdown. The resin kicks too quickly with the elevated temps and I don't wish to put in the time or money it might take to learn an alternative resin system.

Here's a link to my BLOG page where I have additional photos of my pilots... http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=159693

BOOMER52

Last edited by BOOMER52; 06-17-2008 at 10:11 PM. Reason: added a link...
Old 06-18-2008, 12:52 AM
smudger67

Originally Posted by BOOMER52 View Post
smudger67,

I slosh cast Alumilite White Ultralite resin. I've never bothered to find out just what type of plastic resin it is. I do leave the shells hollow and have had no complaints with regards to shell integrity.

Here's my top secret technique for the O2 hose... I roll a noodle of Sculpey the diameter desired. Then I take an ordinary hair comb and do a final draw roll of the noodle with comb's teeth using just the right amount of pressure to give you the segmented look of a corrugated hose. Harder to describe than do. It takes a bit of practice but it really is quite simple. I then bend the noodle to shape... bake and lastly attach with a dab of glue.

The majority of my sales were for unpainted busts... but I'm now getting into offering painted pilots. The summer heat has forced a seasonal shutdown. The resin kicks too quickly with the elevated temps and I don't wish to put in the time or money it might take to learn an alternative resin system.

Here's a link to my BLOG page where I have additional photos of my pilots... http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=159693

BOOMER52
Thanks for the info . I'm impressed with the careful work you've put in .
I use Sculpey Firm for my original sculptures. It stays nice and firm in warm weather so you dont destroy detail when handling.
I don't use a solid block of Sculpey but use a wad of aluminum baking foil to form a rough shape first . Then roll out a piece of Sculpey like dough and apply it to the foil plug .
This way ,you save on Sculpey and if the foil plug is too near the surface when sculpting ,you can push it in with a stick or screwdriver.
I use a similar method to your noodle /comb method also for the oxy tube .
Old 06-18-2008, 10:37 AM
Bill G
Super Contrubutor

Dare has some light thin shell pilots. You have to trim and put the halves together, but it's worth it for very light weight.
I did one for a prop plane a while back.

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/show...88&postcount=7

Name:	Peashooter_pilot_2.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	109.7 KB
ID:	69696  
Old 06-18-2008, 11:51 AM
smudger67

Originally Posted by Bill G View Post
Dare has some light thin shell pilots. You have to trim and put the halves together, but it's worth it for very light weight.
I did one for a prop plane a while back.

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/show...88&postcount=7
Yes I've seen those, they are quite nice . They are hard to beat for lightness , but a lot of folks can't be bothered joining the half shells,and there are limitations on what you can achieve with Vac-forming. i.e. no undercuts so detail is limited and loss of sharp detail . Mind you a really good paint job can overcome some of this . If they were reverse vac-formed (pulled into a female mould rather than over a male plug ) the detail would be a lot sharper I think although I'm not an expert in Vac-forming . I'm having a go at a crew for the Hangar 9 B25 in resin (1/10 scale) . Dare have got a crew but someone said they were too small . I reckon their lightness could outweigh that slight discrepancy if you were going for electric power.
Old 05-06-2010, 04:55 PM
Capt. Midnight

Default How to Purchase Boomer 52 Pilot Figures

Hi DFers!

Does anyone know how to order pilot figures from Boomer 52?

RSVP/thanks

Dave Plummer

[email protected]
Old 05-10-2010, 11:51 PM
aethertek

Originally Posted by Capt. Midnight View Post
Hi DFers!

Does anyone know how to order pilot figures from Boomer 52?

RSVP/thanks

Dave Plummer

[email protected]
Not to sound trite but you could PM him.

Kevin~
Old 05-11-2010, 05:41 AM
Capt. Midnight

Default Follow-up On Pilot Figures

Hi Kevin!

I've sent a couple of "private" emails to Boomer52 (via a couple of forums), but have never received any response. Would you have a USPS mailing address for him that you could provide me?

RSVP when you have time; thanks,

David Plummer

Bellevue, WA

[email protected]
Old 05-15-2010, 04:21 PM
BOOMER52
Pilots by BOOMER52

David...

Sorry about not seeing your attempts to contact me...! I don't check-in to the forums but a couple times a year. The pilot hobby has fallen by the wayside and I'm on to other things. I do however have one pilot left... my first cast ever pulled from my 1/12th right looker... already painted. He was my 60's/70's era military jet jock... I called them Maverick's. Not original I know...

Anyway... if you are looking for a 1/12th bust... he's available.

BOOMER52

Name:	t1612596-23-thumb-O2Mav1.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	8.3 KB
ID:	127542  
Old 05-15-2010, 05:17 PM
Capt. Midnight

Default Pilots

Hi Boomer52!

Thanks for the response! Sorry you've stopped making the great-looking figures. A 1/12th-scale pilot is too large for my 1/16th B-47, and I'd need two figures, anyway.

Cheers,

David Plummer