FW-190 Scratch RC Foamy! - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Foamies Talk about building, power setups and anything having to do with e-powered foamy planes!

FW-190 Scratch RC Foamy!

Old 07-26-2008, 12:43 AM
TVCasualty
Stiff Member

Default FW-190 Scratch RC Foamy!

While waiting for Voyager2lcats to finish up his P40, I spent some time during my “staycation” and gutted my old 109 making a nice lookin glider, and dropped the parts into a new creation aided by googles Sketchup program. If you haven’t checked out Sketchup yet, do a search for it over at rcgroups and check out my webpage. Amazing free program, and simply amazing models that can be built using it.

I’ve also put a bit more effort into this one making it look “pretty” for the flyingmokey and that anit the easiest thing when you use hot glue for everything! I did have to break down and use some gorilla glue to hold a couple tubes on for the aileron control wires (strings) as the hot glue kept melting in the sun...

Working flaps on this one which lead me to use the pull-pull string to control the ailerons, but I am happy to report that the new (for me) method works incredible well.

Questions and comments welcome!
Exact plans will be available soon at my webpage: foamcasualty.com

...Flaps down, oops, lost the spinner on the last landing! Err... Windy day!
Old 07-26-2008, 01:53 AM
Grasshopper
Some Assembly Required

That looks great TV! Nice web site too.
Old 07-26-2008, 01:55 AM
FlyingMonkey
Flite Test Fan

Dang TV, your best work yet!
Old 07-26-2008, 02:49 AM
pvtzemerak
3D Huckifyer!

tv, that is just amazing, the plane, and the website. make a video!
Old 07-26-2008, 05:11 AM
TVCasualty
Stiff Member

Thanks for the props guys!
Working night shift this weekend so I’m not sure if I get a chance to video it anytime soon, it’s a big no-no to fly after working nights… But I might feel lucky if the wind ever dies down over here. Defiantly on the to do list! It’s been really windy these past few days, but the FW still flew fine, just tricky to land, specially when trimming it up...

Still learning new tricks here and there from these boards. Filled all the cracks with lightweight spackle, works great! Also picked up a few tips from this guys web page… Talk about amazing!! http://www.tompierce.net/190/html/recon/research.htm
Wow. His planes look more real then the real ones!
Old 07-30-2008, 05:09 AM
TVCasualty
Stiff Member

Took out the 190 again today, learned a pretty cool maneuver with the flaps...
I take the plane up to about 600 feet, do an inverted dive, kill the throttle, and fully lower the flaps! They work as excellent dive drakes and it makes a very cool sounding buzz, like a strong desk fan, as the prop freely spins in the dive. How do I know it was about 600 feet? I took out the winged shadow How High system that's how! Pretty neat little device, the current record stands at 1,210 feet for this bird. At that altitude it was a mere dot in the sky and took nearly 5 minutes to glide back to a reasonable level. Unfortunately the spinner never came back down, and I have no idea where it went to. So keep an eye out in your backyard, it's yellow and black, just in case it decides to come back home. Not holding my breath so I just finished burning out a new one, gotta find a better way to attach it though.
Old 07-30-2008, 11:35 AM
FlyingMonkey
Flite Test Fan

Originally Posted by TVCasualty View Post
They work as excellent dive drakes and it makes a very cool sounding buzz,

what are dive drakes?

found em...

http://www.greatnorthern.net/~dye/Bufflehead_ducks.htm

Old 07-30-2008, 07:52 PM
TVCasualty
Stiff Member

Dive Drakes
Originally Posted by FlyingMonkey View Post
found em...
Exactly!
Old 08-22-2008, 03:31 AM
TVCasualty
Stiff Member

Had to rework the servo about a week ago, managed to get some video of how the control surface is worked out...

humm don't work on my pc... here is the direct link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCTQWUlrDc0
Old 08-22-2008, 04:01 AM
FlyingMonkey
Flite Test Fan

Had to rework the servo about a week ago, managed to get some video of how the control surface is worked out...
there you go...

you only need this part between the coding.

MCTQWUlrDc0
Old 08-22-2008, 04:21 PM
Voyager2lcats
Friend Across the Water

How did I miss this thread? Very nice work. Pull-pull ailerons, huh? I have tried that on smaller birds and it works pretty nice. You were waiting on me to finish my P-40 back in July! That is embarrassing (to me). Well, if you checked my latest post, you will notice the Warhawk is coming along. I am aiming for end of August-first week of September to maiden. Yikes!
Old 08-22-2008, 05:57 PM
Larry3215
Look out for that tree!!!

I like the pull/pull setup and a great looking bird!
Old 09-02-2008, 10:23 AM
TVCasualty
Stiff Member

Originally Posted by Voyager2lcats View Post
How did I miss this thread? Very nice work. Pull-pull ailerons, huh? I have tried that on smaller birds and it works pretty nice. You were waiting on me to finish my P-40 back in July! That is embarrassing (to me). Well, if you checked my latest post, you will notice the Warhawk is coming along. I am aiming for end of August-first week of September to maiden. Yikes!
Perfection, ever difficult to achieve, sometimes difficult to envision, is none the less the ultimate goal of intelligent man whatever his field of interest or endeavor.
Old 09-02-2008, 01:20 PM
Voyager2lcats
Friend Across the Water

Very nice. While I breathe, I strive for that elusive goal. Keep up the good work. Your video of the ailerons was excellent, BTW. How long did it take you to upload it to the host site?

Perfection, ever difficult to achieve, sometimes difficult to envision, is none the less the ultimate goal of intelligent man whatever his field of interest or endeavor.
Old 09-03-2008, 07:42 AM
TVCasualty
Stiff Member

Hummm... Not too long, U tube runs pretty quick, but the vid was small since it was an MOV file.. Now I hate MOVs but the HD camera I picked up for about $100 from best buy only shoots MOVs so that's what I'm stuck with which is why I've been struggling to make video of anything since widows movie make was simple enough for me... As I also hate Windows so I've been trying to figure out how to video edit in Linux where a MOV file is not so much of an issue. That was a real challange, but I made a huge step in figuring it all out tonight and have come up with a really nice 190 vid. Gotta add some audio yet, you don't want to hear the film crew trust me, but I should have something ready to go tomorrow and I will time it for ya.
Old 09-03-2008, 03:23 PM
Voyager2lcats
Friend Across the Water

Hey TVCasualty, I am going to use RC Universe tonight. Since I am already registered with them I thought it would be easier than setting up another account with YouTube. I already tried loading a MOV file that was too large (111 Mb) so that didn't work. I will need to edit it so it is shorter, but that is currently beyond my knowledge level. I have two shorter videos I will load tonight to the E-Flite P-47 thread (nice little plane BTW). Linux is the way to go as an OS. I don't have the guts to load it on anything at this time. I should put it on my old laptop and see how it goes. Anyhoo, I'll be looking for your next video. Mine already have my audio commentary, although I wonder how much I am going to bore everyone!

Bob

Hummm... Not too long, U tube runs pretty quick, but the vid was small since it was an MOV file.. Now I hate MOVs but the HD camera I picked up for about $100 from best buy only shoots MOVs so that's what I'm stuck with which is why I've been struggling to make video of anything since widows movie make was simple enough for me... As I also hate Windows so I've been trying to figure out how to video edit in Linux where a MOV file is not so much of an issue. That was a real challange, but I made a huge step in figuring it all out tonight and have come up with a really nice 190 vid. Gotta add some audio yet, you don't want to hear the film crew trust me, but I should have something ready to go tomorrow and I will time it for ya.
Old 09-03-2008, 04:00 PM
FlyingMonkey
Flite Test Fan

As I also hate Windows so I've been trying to figure out how to video edit in Linux where a MOV file is not so much of an issue. That was a real challange, but I made a huge step in figuring it all out tonight and have come up with a really nice 190 vid. Gotta add some audio yet, you don't want to hear the film crew trust me, but I should have something ready to go tomorrow and I will time it for ya.
Buy an Apple.

It comes with iMovie, which I have found very easy to use, full of extras that really make it easy to look like you know what you're doing.
Old 09-03-2008, 09:03 PM
TVCasualty
Stiff Member

Hot Glue and apples? Yuk!
Any rate the uploading took less then ten min and the original file is about 10 megs...

This was all done w/ Cinelerra except the audio, which used Avidemux to combine a *gasp* MP3.

Old 09-03-2008, 11:12 PM
FlyingMonkey
Flite Test Fan

I even buy apple scented glue sticks...
Old 11-29-2009, 06:42 AM
TVCasualty
Stiff Member

Very sadly I crashed this 190 over the summer. I was flying very low alt runs through some flags set up on a soccer field. I was pulling a hammer head turn, to come back through, only I neglected to let the airspeed bleed off before I kicked the rudder. The result is kinda a corkscrew roll that was worsened by un-even elevator lengths (realized after the crash, I was off by nearly 1/2 of an inch!!). A really sad loss of a really good aircraft. The worst part of it all is that I seem to have lost all of my in flight pics of this one save the ones on the webpage. No matter. I’ve already begun redesign (between projects lol) and have increased the scale design. :/