HoB Chea-Pass laser stick .10 electrified. - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Sport Planes (Formerly I/C & Gas Conversion) Discuss I/C or Gas Conversions, Aerobatic Planes and Sport Aircraft

HoB Chea-Pass laser stick .10 electrified.

Old 08-14-2009, 12:09 AM
Marc

Default HoB Chea-Pass laser stick .10 electrified.

This is the kit that I chose to replace my ill-fated and now discontinued Herr Little Extra. RIP. With its large boxy fuselage and 45.5 " wingspan, it looked like a perfect match for my Turnigy SK 35-30, 1400 Kv motor and 2200 mAh lipo. A small adjustable Hextronix motor mount was used to extend the motor 2.5" to achieve the correct CG without ballast. AUW is 27 ounces.

The only modifications need were to move the elevator and rudder servos from beneath the wing to an aft compartment to make room for the battery. A hatch was improvised beneath the fuselage to access the servos. No additional wood was required.

The good news was that the kit only cost $40. All wood pieces were precision laser cut for tab and slot construction. Nothing needed to be pinned to the building board.

The bad news was that much of the required hardware was lacking. Landing gear with wheels were supplied along with strip aileron tubes and 3/32" unthreaded torque rods. If the supplied torque rods are used, a set of DuBro #103 strip aileron horns are a must. The builder must supply all hinges, linkage, and control horns.

Upon completion of the model, I swore off building balsa kits because of the time required and because of the noxious vapors from the CA glue that irritated my sinuses. After maidening the Chea-Pass I might be persuaded to change my mind. It is a well-mannered and stable flyer that takes a hand launch beautifully and lands lightly at a slow speed. The Chea-Pass is capable of a variety of basic aerobatic maneuvers. The plane is pictured below with the 8x3.8 SF prop used only for the maiden flight.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Chea1.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	137.3 KB
ID:	107294 Click image for larger version

Name:	Chea2.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	171.8 KB
ID:	107295 Click image for larger version

Name:	Chea3.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	209.8 KB
ID:	107296 Click image for larger version

Name:	Chea4.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	210.4 KB
ID:	107297 Click image for larger version

Name:	Chea5.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	181.3 KB
ID:	107298 Click image for larger version

Name:	Chea6.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	138.6 KB
ID:	107299
Old 08-18-2009, 03:31 AM
Marc

This afternoon I fitted the Chea-Pass with a TowerPro thin electric 8x4 sport prop and took it to the field for its second outing. Don't dismiss this plane because of its plain appearance; it is (or will be) a great flying plane. I don't know if it's the high aspect wing that puts the ailerons closer to the CG or the relatively long tail moment, but it flies the way I imagine a pattern ship should. Axial rolls are perfect. In fact, it's the only plane that allows me to do decent Cuban-8's with my limited experience.

Speaking of Cuban-8's, a problem arose while practicing this maneuver that cut my flying session short. I never took the plane beyond 3/4 throttle. I am still flying with less than 1/2 the recommended elevator throw, but somehow the wing lifted away from the fuselage and caught the beveled cowl cover under the leading edge of the wing. The resulting incidence problem caused the plane to loop endlessly under power. I throttled back and gave the transmitter full down trim to bring it in safely. Not believing what I saw with the cowl cover, I tried again with the same result. The two rubber bands that I used to attach the wing were new, 1/4" wide, and quite tight across the wing. Next time I will use two additional rubber bands in an "X" pattern across the wing.

The lesson learned is, "Don't underestimate the G-forces operating on your model aircraft."
Old 08-18-2009, 03:50 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Marc View Post
This afternoon I fitted the Chea-Pass with a TowerPro thin electric 8x4 sport prop and took it to the field for its second outing. Don't dismiss this plane because of its plain appearance; it is (or will be) a great flying plane. I don't know if it's the high aspect wing that puts the ailerons closer to the CG or the relatively long tail moment, but it flies the way I imagine a pattern ship should. Axial rolls are perfect. In fact, it's the only plane that allows me to do decent Cuban-8's with my limited experience.

Speaking of Cuban-8's, a problem arose while practicing this maneuver that cut my flying session short. I never took the plane beyond 3/4 throttle. I am still flying with less than 1/2 the recommended elevator throw, but somehow the wing lifted away from the fuselage and caught the beveled cowl cover under the leading edge of the wing. The resulting incidence problem caused the plane to loop endlessly under power. I throttled back and gave the transmitter full down trim to bring it in safely. Not believing what I saw with the cowl cover, I tried again with the same result. The two rubber bands that I used to attach the wing were new, 1/4" wide, and quite tight across the wing. Next time I will use two additional rubber bands in an "X" pattern across the wing.

The lesson learned is, "Don't underestimate the G-forces operating on your model aircraft."
Use lots of rubber bands, they are cheap when i was flying trainers, i would use 3 per side and then criss cross with 2 more, that was the first thing my instructor taught me Take care, Chellie
Old 09-11-2009, 10:30 AM
soarbird
I crashed call the FAA

Default chea pass

I had the same problem with a plane due to the rubber band issue.I also built a Chea Pass several years ago. I shorten the wing by one bay and added wing tips to resemble a ugly stick. I also modified the tail to look like a ugly stick. The plane flew really well ; it was very aerobatic.