VTOL or STOL... - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Special Interest Aircraft This is the place to discuss those unusual Electric aircraft. Ornothopters, RC Hang gliders, Parasails, Hydroplanes. Blimps, Airships, Gyro-copters, Hovercrafts, and anything else that I forgot.

VTOL or STOL...

Old 02-06-2009, 06:00 PM
gittarpikk
CrazyBall Designer and OT

Default VTOL or STOL...

Any new designs... let's talk about em'... I have one on the brain...will be developing soon..

Last edited by gittarpikk; 02-06-2009 at 06:01 PM. Reason: sp....
Old 02-06-2009, 07:08 PM
MaxAdventure
AMA 198798

I've been thinking about a STOL for several years now. Purpose built - not a scale plane. I wanted to lift payloads and spot land. I was thinking about Fowler flaps and LE slats so they could retract and cruise efficiently. I wanted to do it with torque tubes, not sure if I'm crazy. I'm currently looking at 3 generations of wings, I need to finish gen 1, I want to use it as a glider tow in the spring.

what were you thinking of?
Old 02-07-2009, 08:00 PM
Pantz_Wheelz

I've been working on a design for well over a year now... I have a 3d rendering of some of the basic frame. I'll post some more pics up a little later -

I've also started building the fuselage out of foam, just need to take some pics. My dream is to build a functional..controllable VTOL rc plane...

Old 02-07-2009, 11:14 PM
gittarpikk

Thats one cool design, what type of vertical/horiz thrust system are you considering?
Old 02-07-2009, 11:20 PM
Pantz_Wheelz

thanks man,

one rotating EDF with control surfaces located on the belly for pitch and roll in vertical flight. I'm also planning to have either 2 smaller ducted fans or a variable pitch prop located at the nose for yaw.

That model is just for the conventional design.. gotta make sure it will even fly before I start throwing in all the vertical stuff haha

-Cassidy
Old 03-16-2009, 09:15 PM
RWP
Old school.

Interesting thread. I always thought it would be cool to have a plane with BIG Fowler Flaps and LE slats like Max posted. The mechanics might be a bit difficult to work out and keep light but cool idea. Maybe twin motors mounted on the wing with the thrust redirected downward by the flaps for takeoff.
Old 03-16-2009, 10:15 PM
MaxAdventure
AMA 198798

Originally Posted by MaxAdventure View Post
I'm currently looking at 3 generations of wings, I need to finish gen 1, I want to use it as a glider tow in the spring.
sheesh, here we are almost at the end of March, and I'm supposed to have gen 1 complete! I've been VERY distracted by flying instead of building! I have at least done a couple of structure experiments - I still am trying to throw something together to tow with. My priority focus has shifted to replicable parts over STOL, but the torque tube slats are still on the final design.
Old 03-16-2009, 11:23 PM
gittarpikk

Default Had an amazing idea!

deleted ....

Last edited by gittarpikk; 03-29-2009 at 08:57 PM. Reason: possible pattent infringe
Old 03-16-2009, 11:37 PM
gittarpikk

One other spinnoff is the marrying of a conventional rear prop drive delta shaped park jet design with the vertical "apparatus" portion of this design and a "makes a lotta sense" VTOL that would be easy to control and has little to no trouble transitioning from vertical hover to forward flight to vertical hover and would fly in forward flight just like a park jet.Of course Dave at RCPOWERS could gyro the vertical apparatus and make it super easy to fly.