eFlite Park 480 question - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Power Systems Talk about motors, ESC speed controllers, gear drives, propellers, power system simulators and all power system related topics

eFlite Park 480 question

Old 10-29-2008, 07:47 PM
rgf1046

Question eFlite Park 480 question

I have an eFlite Park 480 that I was running in a Parkzone Trojan with the eFLite 25amp Pro ESC. Everything worked great. I would now like to use that motor in either the Mini Funtana X or the Extra 260, both of which are built around that motor. My question is, in the details for those 2 planes, a 40amp ESC is required. If the motor pulls 22 cont. amps, and 28 max (per the eFlite specs), is there any reason I can't keep using my 25 amp ESC in one of those planes? Doesn't make sense that I would need a different ESC to run the same motor in a new plane, but I am fairly new to this. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
Old 10-29-2008, 07:50 PM
powerlines
I AM NO SHOES!!!

You should be fine. you will need a 11x4.7slow fly prop maybe a 12x4.7 prop.. That will give you max thrust..

LATER
Old 10-29-2008, 07:57 PM
Twmaster

Originally Posted by rgf1046 View Post
I have an eFlite Park 480 that I was running in a Parkzone Trojan with the eFLite 25amp Pro ESC. Everything worked great. I would now like to use that motor in either the Mini Funtana X or the Extra 260, both of which are built around that motor. My question is, in the details for those 2 planes, a 40amp ESC is required. If the motor pulls 22 cont. amps, and 28 max (per the eFlite specs), is there any reason I can't keep using my 25 amp ESC in one of those planes? Doesn't make sense that I would need a different ESC to run the same motor in a new plane, but I am fairly new to this. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
Hi and welcome to WattFlyer!

If you keep the prop size down you should be OK with that 25A ESC. The reason E-Flite says the 40A ESC is required is that when those planes were first produced E-Flite only offered a 20 and 40A ESC. They want you to buy -their- products to complete the plane. If I were in your shoes I'd feel more comfortable with a 30A ESC. However as above you'll likely be OK.

If you do not already have one invest in a good power meter. The Astro Super Whattmeter is great, the Watts-Up is also very good. There are others as well.

Good luck!
Old 10-29-2008, 07:58 PM
rgf1046

I should go with those props versus the 12x6 props recommended for both planes?

Even though the motor is rated for 22A continuous it is more then possible to pull many many more amps than that under load or rapid acceleration. Smaller props typically draw less current.
Old 10-29-2008, 08:00 PM
rgf1046

Great info, thanks. Forgive me for asking since I'm new, but by keeping "prop size down" does that mean I should go with the 11x4.7 versus the 12x4.7?
Old 10-29-2008, 10:17 PM
everydayflyer
Southern Pride

In simple terms yes but it is really prop / disc. loading that matters.

For an 11X4.7 loading (11x11) X4.7=5687

for a 12X4.7 loading (12X12)X4.7=6768
so approx. 19% more power required to spin the 12 at the same RPM which the motor will not be able to do but it will try and thus pull more amps..

Charles
Old 10-29-2008, 10:23 PM
Twmaster

Excellent answer Charles!

Thanks!
Old 10-29-2008, 10:37 PM
powerlines
I AM NO SHOES!!!

As for me.. I like the wide 12x4.7 slowfly prop much better than the 12x6 props.. they have more bite and works much better on 3D planes.. I have ran a 12x4.7 and 12x3.8 wide blade on my park 480 and it was AWESome on my Mini funtannaX It would pull from a hover like CraZy..

LATER
PS.. The regular 480 and the one that comes with the trojan are different I think..
Old 10-29-2008, 11:07 PM
Fly Time
Ask me how I know

Originally Posted by powerlines View Post
PS.. The regular 480 and the one that comes with the trojan are different I think..
Yep, that is true. The Trojan motor is 960kv (assuming you got it RTF or PNP). There are two versions of the E-F Park 480: 910kv and 1020kv. If you are looking to spin a big 12" prop, the lower kv motor will work best I believe. Since the Trojan motor is about half way between the two, you will want to watch the amps if you are going to use a 12" prop.
Old 10-29-2008, 11:45 PM
rgf1046

Originally Posted by Fly Time View Post
Yep, that is true. The Trojan motor is 960kv (assuming you got it RTF or PNP). There are two versions of the E-F Park 480: 910kv and 1020kv. If you are looking to spin a big 12" prop, the lower kv motor will work best I believe. Since the Trojan motor is about half way between the two, you will want to watch the amps if you are going to use a 12" prop.
I am running the 1020kv Park 480 - I think I'll start with the 11" and see how it goes, after deciding on the plane anyway.
Old 10-31-2008, 04:30 AM
cv640

Originally Posted by Fly Time View Post

The motor that comes with the T-28 is not an E-Flight Park 480 that is available seperatly (910kV or 1020kV). I am not exactly sure what it is, but it is not the same dimensions as the E-Flight 480s and it has a smaller shaft.
Old 12-14-2008, 09:51 PM
benovisoff
aint crashin aint flyin

more servos=more amps drawn
Old 12-15-2008, 06:32 AM
caltrop
Can't Help Myself

Question E-flite RTF/PNP

Originally Posted by cv640 View Post
The motor that comes with the T-28 is not an E-Flight Park 480 that is available seperatly (910kV or 1020kV). I am not exactly sure what it is, but it is not the same dimensions as the E-Flight 480s and it has a smaller shaft.

Same with the mini Ultra Stick - 450 brushless with different dimensions than the out of the box 450. I think all the E-flite PNP's have a cheapened version of the real motor.

I took the cheap 450 out of my Stick and put a real 480 1020Kv in it. It screams now!

I also don't like the E-flite servo's - JUNK! I've been using the new Hitec HS-45HB in everything that I have to add servo's to. I don't plan on getting another E-flite PNP but instead get the ARF kit so I know what motor & servo's go in it. Only problem with the HS-45HB is that it is a little longer than the E-flite or HS-50 size.
Old 12-15-2008, 06:59 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Hi Caltrop try the Hext 9 gram servos, they are very strong and cheap, thats all that I and our flying club uses, and they are only like $3.65 each
i have then in a 40 size funtana, and a 49" w/s Katana 3D, look at my signature, there is a link to youtube, that shows my Katana profile, Hope that helps, Chellie

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...ec_Micro_Servo
Old 12-15-2008, 08:26 AM
mgb

Great posts, just out of interest how big was the performance gain ok the Trojan with the 480 upgrade ?
Old 12-15-2008, 04:56 PM
caltrop
Can't Help Myself

Default Direct From China

Originally Posted by CHELLIE View Post
Hi Caltrop try the Hext 9 gram servos, they are very strong and cheap, thats all that I and our flying club uses, and they are only like $3.65 each
i have then in a 40 size funtana, and a 49" w/s Katana 3D, look at my signature, there is a link to youtube, that shows my Katana profile, Hope that helps, Chellie

I've been hearing about Hobby City (now HobbyKing) but I have been hesitant to buy direct from China. I've heard good & bad about buying direct from China.
Old 12-15-2008, 05:24 PM
Fly Time
Ask me how I know

Originally Posted by caltrop View Post
I've been hearing about Hobby City (now HobbyKing) but I have been hesitant to buy direct from China. I've heard good & bad about buying direct from China.
Most people have good experiences with Hobby City (also known as United Hobbies and Hobbyking). The few that don't are much more likely to be vocal about it on here and in other forums. If you are unlucky and receive a defective product, then your patience may be tested in getting it resolved. But if you only buy stuff that has good customer reviews, then that is less likely to happen. Bottom line is that if you are willing to wait a little longer to have stuff delivered, and accept the risk that returns will be a pain, then you can save a lot of $ shopping there. Also, to get the most out of shipping charges, don't go there to buy just one or two things. Stock up.
Old 12-16-2008, 04:57 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by caltrop View Post
I have had very very good luck with Hobby City/King, first thing, is to get a PayPal Account, now your insured, if any thing goes wrong, second, dont use the air mail that they list / suggest/ use the cheapest air mail that they have, also, incase a lipo, servo or some item goes bad, I dont worry about trying to send it back, reason being, is that to me its not worth it, I bought the items very cheaply in the first place and its just not worth the hassel to me, I have only had maybe, 2 items go bad on me in a short time, out of maybe 100 items purchased, two items that you do want to stay away from IMHO is the hextronic Lipos and hextronic ESC, other than that, I have been having great luck with them, I Like there turnigy motors and the turnigy ESC, I have had super good luck with the turnigy products, Take care, Chellie
Old 12-16-2008, 03:57 PM
caltrop
Can't Help Myself

Default My Luck

You don't know me. My friends kept telling me it was my imagination but after years they said "you might be right" - my luck is abysmal.

We both go into a store and buy the same thing and mine is 75% of the time bad and I have to return it two or three times to get it right. I put in a pull down stair for my attic and the box was perfect but inside the wood was shattered. I'm on my fourth cell phone in two months; Verzon has great service but Sprint has better phones.

My first DX7 was a failure and took three trips back to Horizon before I even started trusting it again. I only fly foamies with it and heli's; 72MHz is for my wood & expensive stuff.

I'm on my third mini Ultra Stick: 1) DX7 failure; 2) the ARF kit fell apart while flying, darn thing just came apart in level flight, wing came off!

Oh well, I do like E-flite's 250 & 480 motors. Some of the other E-flite stuff needs work in my opinion. I'll give Hobby City a try next year if I manage to get a job again; the way things are going it doesn't look good.
Old 02-07-2009, 08:46 PM
benovisoff
aint crashin aint flyin

I use a 12X4.7 on all of my foamie aerobats with a 480. they are rockets! If you are putting them in aerobats, which you are, prop size up and pitch size down. I have gone from 10X10 to 11X5 to 12X4.7. get the fat bladed slow flyer big props. They have so much power but not quite the speed for the amps. on my pz480, I always use a 12X8 prop and it pulls only 25 amps max with a new fresh full lipo. A 25 amp esc is more than enough