Bench Testing Question...... - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Bench Testing Question......

Old 01-16-2009, 05:39 PM
mtuhoop24

Default Bench Testing Question......

OK I have a fairly silly question considering I have been flying for 2 years now.

I know what bench testing is. I pretty much set up all my planes to the manufactures suggested equipment and so far that has been fine. No burnt ESC or motors etc.........

I am looking into getting an eLogger V3 with an rmp sensor. This would mean that I would have to do some official bench testing (as well as logging flights). Is there any apparatus out there that I can use on my bench to secure the plane (other than my hands)? Is everyone using homemade stuff...........

Thoughts, ideas.....................thanks.
Old 01-16-2009, 11:47 PM
jdetray

Bench testing the power system of a completely assembled plane is pretty unwieldy. I don't know of any really good way of securing the plane.

Bench testing of motors and props can be done with a simple test stand like the one shown below. Using a servo tester to operate the ESC means you don't even need a receiver or a transmitter to test motors and props.

- Jeff
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	motor_test_stand2.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	90684  
Old 01-17-2009, 12:25 AM
Sky Sharkster
Super Contributor

Default R/C Model Holder?

Hello Rodney,
Jeff is right, if you can test the power system before mounting it in the model, it's the safer solution.
However, if the model is already completed, there are few items available that will allow you to have your hands free.
First is the simple R/C model cradle, just what it sounds;
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXES03
Clamped to your workbench, with the fuselage (or entire model) rubber-banded securely in place, or held with one hand.
Better still is the cradle built onto the top of some field boxes. This is what I use, again the model is rubber-banded onto the cradle and the weight of the box helps the stability;
http://www.centralhobbies.com/Tools/hobbico.html
Last, a home-made cradle, either of PVC pipe or hardwood, you can design it so it's easily screwed to the workbench top. Based on this idea;
http://www.jlproducts.net/ProductQuickCradle.html
One of these or a similar product should help your testing. Just remember, the only safe place around a spinning prop is behind it!
Ron
Old 01-17-2009, 12:59 AM
mtuhoop24

Thanks guys. Great ideas. I see a trip to Mennards tomorrow to start building a table stand brace in the last link...........doesn't look too hard!
Old 01-17-2009, 03:30 AM
jdetray

Rodney -

There are a couple of things to keep in mind when bench testing power systems.

1. Don't run at full throttle for more than a few seconds at a time -- just long enough to make whatever measurements you need to make. Prolonged static running can easily overheat your power system components, since they don't get as much cooling as they do when actually moving through the air.

2. Be sure there is nothing in the airflow from the prop that might get blown around. You may be surprised at how much "wind" is created. It doesn't seem like much when you are out at the flying field, but in your workshop the airflow from the prop can send all sorts of things flying. This includes other planes!

- Jeff
Old 01-17-2009, 01:30 PM
mtuhoop24

You are right. When I have done some testing (if you can call it that) my foamie bipe hanging from the ceiling goes for a little ride.